Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"current generation games suck!" do they really?

May 16, 2017 at 7:13:55 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: wesr

Sadly that'd be me not paying attention to dates.

It doesn't matter man, honestly.

If you made a new thread someone would have said there are too many of these threads about new generation stuff sucking etc.

Quaze didn't mean anything by it, he probably just finds it funny.

-------------------------
Ayy yoo pizza bie!

May 16, 2017 at 7:18:27 PM
Quaze (116)
(Jordan C.) < Bowser >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: TheToxieRules

If you made a new thread someone would have said there are too many of these threads about new generation stuff sucking etc.

Yeah I definitely didn't mean it as a rub, I was honestly curious about how it was even found to necro-bump in the first place. Still a relevant topic anyways, no harm no foul.

My eBay feedback
"Hey have you guys ever pekt I nx thrn b gh ed g?"

May 16, 2017 at 7:18:36 PM
wesr (19)
< Meka Chicken >
Pennsylvania
Now I wish I hadn't erased my rant as it was a good one lol

May 16, 2017 at 7:20:54 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Damnit wesr. Now I'm curious what it said  

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

May 16, 2017 at 7:26:24 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California

Go ahead and post it so I can prove you wrong  

May 16, 2017 at 7:28:23 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
Ontario
Originally posted by: MrWunderful

can mods check a post pre-edit?

May 16, 2017 at 7:29:32 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
Ontario
Some new games are good, some new games are bad.

Some old games are good, some old games are bad.

Blanket statements are for illogical assholes.

Anda 1 anda 2 anda 3 anda!

Some new games are good, some new games are bad!

Some old games are bad, some old games are good!

TO THE BRIDGE YA'LL! (TO THE BRIDGE YA'LL)

The people who apply blanket statements like "All new games are bad" tango!

Alright people, spin your joystick round and round!

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Edited: 05/16/2017 at 07:34 PM by Uncle Meat

May 16, 2017 at 7:35:53 PM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Oh nooooo. Now the usuals have another chance to spew their hate of anything post-1994! Shoot!

Unless I beat them to it. I got it guys:
"Games nowadays hold your hand and anyone can beat them within a couple hours. It's a total joke. It's like developers learned how to make games more FUN with the improved technology, instead of games being DIFFICULT due to the limitations of primitive hardware AS IT SHOULD BE!"

Ok, now you don't have to make your post using a bunch of cuss words and mentioning YouTube frauds. Please. Spare me the pain.

May 16, 2017 at 7:37:03 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
Ontario
Originally posted by: mattbep

Oh nooooo. Now the usuals have another chance to spew their hate of anything post-1994! Shoot!

Unless I beat them to it. I got it guys:
"Games nowadays hold your hand and anyone can beat them within a couple hours. It's a total joke. It's like developers learned how to make games more FUN with the improved technology, instead of games being DIFFICULT due to the limitations of primitive hardware AS IT SHOULD BE!"

Ok, now you don't have to make your post using a bunch of cuss words and mentioning YouTube frauds. Please. Spare me the pain.

I am pretty sure they have it written down in note pad to copy and paste at this point dude.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

May 16, 2017 at 8:10:29 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: Bert

Originally posted by: MrWunderful

can mods check a post pre-edit?

Nobody knows the true extent of our powers. 

May 16, 2017 at 8:14:23 PM
ALTQQ (79)
(I've lost my television remote do you know where i Should look?) < King Solomon >
British Columbia
All games should just be a black screen with a number that goes up if you press A or down if you press B. Then you can win or lose as much as you want! Maybe add a scrolling marquee at the top that says "thanks for playing game game"

I lost my television remote, have you seen it?

May 16, 2017 at 8:21:40 PM
Allegro (8)
< Eggplant Wizard >
South Carolina
Originally posted by: Quaze

Yeah I definitely didn't mean it as a rub, I was honestly curious about how it was even found to necro-bump in the first place. Still a relevant topic anyways, no harm no foul.

Back when I was a wee baby (age 13), I found a thread on a forum that I really wanted to add to thanks to a... I guess it was google? Ask Jeeves? Whatever it was, it was a web search. I joined the community just to post in it. Come to find out, it was already two and a half years old, and they had this weird habit of locking topics that had gone unreplied in for more than x months.

To this day I have not been part of a community where a new user screwed up as much as I had - I ended up posting a new topic thinking I was posting in the same thread, and then posted two more topics apologizing to the moderator. I bet they thought I was crazy.

Aaaaanyway.

I'm not going to carry on about how games hold your hand and blah blah blah, even though that is really annoying. Bigger storage allows us to waste space on tutorials and hints in game, and some games feel like they spend more time teaching you than letting you play, or conversely, spend so much time teaching you that by the time they're done teaching you, the game's over.

I don't think primitive hardware was what made games difficult, and honestly... most games from back in the day aren't difficult. They were difficult because I was young and dumb and hardheaded. I get the itch to replay an old game every now and again, and I go back to it, wife and friends happy to watch it happen, and I say to them "here comes a part that's a bitch, I'm about to lose all of my lives and get twenty game overs and drop the run", but then I blaze through it and find myself saying "wow I really had a rough time with that back when I was younger", to nods and agreement about how easy it seems now that we aren't grade schoolers. If games were truly difficult on the NES or SNES, it was often because the mechanics were sort of jank or something was really poorly balanced. 5th grade me played Mega Man X every morning before school and sometimes didn't manage to clear a level. Now, I plow through the 8 mavericks in about 30 minutes and waste the rest of the time I play the game dealing with Sigma's undeniably broken final form.

What it boils down to for me isn't the fact that the games are or aren't hard, it's whether or not they're designed in a way that meets or exceeds the standards of what smaller teams did in the past for less money. When Nintendo pumps out a first party game for example, I expect it to have love and dedication in it. If they don't meet that expectation, I go back to the last game that did, and I say it's better than what I just played. I give it credit where it's due, but if it had bad features, I highlight those as well. If you ask me, it's natural and healthy to compare two things that should be the same, and say whether or not something outdid it.

I will say, though, some of us probably have a warped sense of time now - at least, I think I do. I was born when the SNES came out and by the time I was old enough to really start wanting things, I had the Genesis, SNES, NES, and N64, along with the Gameboy, at my fingertips. Massive libraries, even if you remove all of the actual trash from them like sports, and the stuff that is mostly universally panned. No matter how many games I played, there were always tons left to get. Nowadays, it doesn't feel like that because I look at the horizon instead of what's already out, so I just default to saying "there was a lot more and better selection a long time ago", and I think other people do that, too. It's even easier to get disillusioned with it now that I'm an adult, and unlike when I was dependent on my parents given me an allowance, I can just go out and pick up whatever game I want. There's no sense of the game being a reward, it's just something I bought, I don't have to appreciate it or make the best of it.

May 16, 2017 at 8:24:53 PM
teh lurv (118)
< King Solomon >
Massachusetts

*From the last "modern games suck" thread.

My son... gives me Helpful Nintendo Hints that are far too complex for the adult mind to comprehend. Here's a verbatim example: "OK, there's Ganon and miniature Ganon and there's these things like jelly beans and the miniature Ganon is more powerfuller, because when you touch him the flying eagles come down and the octopus shoots red rocks and the swamp takes longer." And the hell of it is, I know he's right. - Dave Barry

Edited: 05/16/2017 at 08:26 PM by teh lurv

May 16, 2017 at 8:26:24 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
Ontario
Originally posted by: teh lurv

Forgot all about that ahahahahahahahaha

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

May 16, 2017 at 8:29:10 PM
D~Funk (81)
(David Qualls) < Master Higgins >
Oregon
Who doesnt love bacon?

"Thats what i am, i'm just a grumpy guy with a big nose."

May 16, 2017 at 8:31:35 PM
empire (58)
(Not me! ) < Wiz's Mom >
British Columbia
Wasn't the best rant, wouldn't worry about it.

SW-6786-5095-2210

May 16, 2017 at 8:36:52 PM
Murray (34)
(Count of Tuscany ) < El Ripper >
Colorado

*From the last "modern games suck" thread.
Hahaha brilliant!

"Why's that guy wearing a suit to a garage sale?"

May 16, 2017 at 8:40:38 PM
bronzeshield (44)
(P. ) < Lolo Lord >
New York
I don't really care whether they "suck" in any objective sense. I just know that, a handful of indie and offbeat titles aside, the mainstream of 2010s gaming isn't of interest to me, either in terms of aesthetics or gameplay, and isn't a good fit for my skill set as a gamer (I suck at spatial relations, so most 3D isn't my bag) or my current lifestyle.

I'd rather go deep into the 8- and 16-bit library, and if that means I miss out on a few terrific current titles, so be it.

May 16, 2017 at 9:05:55 PM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: bronzeshield

I don't really care whether they "suck" in any objective sense. I just know that, a handful of indie and offbeat titles aside, the mainstream of 2010s gaming isn't of interest to me, either in terms of aesthetics or gameplay, and isn't a good fit for my skill set as a gamer (I suck at spatial relations, so most 3D isn't my bag) or my current lifestyle.

I'd rather go deep into the 8- and 16-bit library, and if that means I miss out on a few terrific current titles, so be it.

These statements you have made are perfectly acceptable. I think there are plenty of people who feel the same way, but I don't get the ones who have to put down other things to make their choices feel more valid.

Same as PS4 vs XBox. Different strokes. Just enjoy the thing you like. I don't get the extremists who have to pretend fans of the "opposing" system are idiots or something.

May 16, 2017 at 9:34:18 PM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
If current generation games 'suck', then this thread 'feltches'!

May 16, 2017 at 9:35:08 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
Yes, they really suck.  And that was back in 2012, it's much worse now.

Edited: 05/16/2017 at 09:35 PM by pegboy

May 16, 2017 at 9:40:17 PM
Daria (29)
(Alexandria Sanchez) < King Solomon >
Florida

If I didn't love my sig I'd totally change it until the mods yelled at me for the size of the banner.

Check out DariaPlaysRPGs on Youtube for Reviews on translated, homebrew, and classic RPGs.

Looking to buy a copy of Shining Force Genesis - Complete in excellent condition

May 16, 2017 at 9:58:59 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
Ontario
Originally posted by: Daria

If I didn't love my sig I'd totally change it until the mods yelled at me for the size of the banner.

nothing a little Photoshop can't fix  

May 16, 2017 at 11:30:18 PM
Estil (10)
< King Solomon >
Kentucky

You can totally (pardon me being stuck in the past! lol) bring up an old topic if you make a good relevant post doing so, like if let's say there's an update or a newer perspective on the subject.  Now just saying "bump" or "ttt" OTOH, I wouldn't do that.

Back to our regularly scheduled program, I have nothing against modern gaming at all (I'm honestly impressed how near photorealistic games can look these days; though I'm more impressed with older consoles getting pushed to the limits and seeing what they can do TBH)....I'm just not so sure about the online gaming part.  But besides all that, I just got too much backlog from the 3rd-6th gens to do, there's still a lot of blue chip games I didn't get to experience in the past for various reasons.

My best friend Jamiee and my dearly departed Tweetie (2005-2012):
http://s650.photobucket.com/user/...

Collection:
NES (222)   SNES (98)   N64 (
29)   GC (31)   GEN (52)  
PS1 (39)   PS2 (23)   PS3 (8)   WII (11)   WIIU (6)
GBA (44)  GBC (12)   GB (25)   DS (14)   3DS (8)

May 17, 2017 at 1:12:39 AM
CMR (4)
< El Ripper >
United States
I've been playing Neir: Automata. It rawks.