Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Any tips for removing discoloration from cartridges?

Jan 14, 2012 at 7:23:08 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Are there any methods to remove the brownish discoloration from NES/SNES cartridges? I've seen people use that retro-bright mixture on consoles before, but I'd be a little wary of what might happen if I got that on a cart label. Any ideas?

-------------------------
2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Jan 14, 2012 at 8:30:34 PM
basiliskfang (15)
(Jonathan Marty Hewitt-Hernandez Jr.) < Eggplant Wizard >
California
lol try painter's tape. hahahah j/k.

Jan 15, 2012 at 8:08:01 AM
Holy-SNES (47)
(Almost there :D) < Meka Chicken >
Victoria
I always thought the discolouration was caused by a fire retardant material in the plastic which turned yellow from uv exposure.
Isn't that irreversible?

Jan 15, 2012 at 9:38:12 AM
Penguin (239)
(Justin AKA Penguin) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
Yea retro-bright is the stuff you would have to use. I have plans to try it on a color dreams game, because in retrospect it should turn the cartridge back to its original blue color. As you suggested thou, the label would need to be covered up on both sides so you don't get any of the gunk on it. I would test it in a crappy game first.

Looking for Black cartridge Color Dreams games, last 3 I need:  Metal Fighter, Moon Ranger, Baby Boomer.  Please contact me if you have any of these!

Jan 15, 2012 at 9:42:55 AM
p33jay (55)
(Allen (PJ) The Awesome) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
Retr0bright should NOT be handled by anyone not willing to exercise extreme care as it is a chemical mixture.
The results are amazing from what I've seen though

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:04:41 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Penguin

Yea retro-bright is the stuff you would have to use. I have plans to try it on a color dreams game, because in retrospect it should turn the cartridge back to its original blue color. As you suggested thou, the label would need to be covered up on both sides so you don't get any of the gunk on it. I would test it in a crappy game first.

I guess that's what I will have to use. I tried Oxi-Clean alone and it didn't work.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Jan 16, 2012 at 5:27:09 AM
Kinfeezi (0)
(John Dillin') < Tourian Tourist >
United States
the only cart-based games I collect are snes and genesis. The sega carts are black so it's no biggie. For the SNES carts, I realized that only the back portion gets discolored, so I just buy cheap sports games and replace the back since they're all identical, excluding carts with coprocessor chips.

Jan 16, 2012 at 5:30:52 AM
Kinfeezi (0)
(John Dillin') < Tourian Tourist >
United States
Hold up I just remembered something... a guy on youtube removed discoloration from his 'Ole Yella SNES console with a cocktail of oxy-clean, hydrogen peroxide (1:1 ratio), and cornstarch to make it a paste. coat the plastic and leave it exposed to UV light for a few hours. Here's the link:

Jul 26 at 1:33:47 PM
wesofthedead (2)
(wes arszyla) < Meka Chicken >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: Penguin

i know this thread is really old, but i just got a very discolored baby boomer from ebay and i would love to try to restore it back. did you ever end up trying this or did anyone else?