Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Anyone have an FC Twin?

Dec 14, 2007 at 7:00:34 PM
slicknixon (0)
(Justin Nixon) < Little Mac >
Pennsylvania
just wondering if anyone else out there uses an FC Twin to play their NES/SNES games. I actually use it more than my actual NES, which i use mainly for zapper games since you can't use one with the FC. It really is an underrated console.. the SNES side is almost perfect, and the NES side although far from perfect still does a great job with most games. I have also noticed that on bigger TV's the FC Twin makes NES games look great; crisp and sharp. Also, the SNES controller is great for playing NES games, especially for the fact that the A and X buttons function as turbo buttons. and most games sound great, the whole bad sound thing is a big misconception. it would be cool to hear some other opinions on the system.

Dec 14, 2007 at 9:13:17 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Standard inaccurate NOAC clone, yawn

I have one for testing my new games, but I actually haven't tried the SNES side. As far as I know the NES side is the same clone chip as the Yobo/NEX with the same problems. I really couldn't get past the controller quality, I tend to notice lower quality plastics more. If you already know the parts are wrong then it is a good system for the price.

Dec 14, 2007 at 9:14:35 PM
bunnyboy (81)
California
Additionally you should be able to either make an adapter or replace the plug on a NES controller to work in the SNES controller sockets. Still won't get the Zapper working but standard controllers would.

Dec 15, 2007 at 1:45:26 AM
slicknixon (0)
Pennsylvania
it seems to me that certain games, especially shooters look a lot sharper on the FC Twin. Gyruss is a good example, or anything with a black background. this is one of the top advantages to playing certain games on a bigger screen. another pretty cool thing you can do with an FC Twin is to slam Punch-Out!! and Super Punch-Out!! into one console and switch between the two with the click of a switch.. which can also lead to other creative combos (monster party, zombies ate my neighbors)... so i guess if your into SNES games almost as much as NES games, you can really benefit from owning one.

Edited: 12/15/2007 at 01:46 AM by slicknixon

Dec 15, 2007 at 5:40:36 PM
slicknixon (0)
Pennsylvania
by the way, many people don't realize it but the FC Twin was re-released sometime before summer 07 after quality complaints from customers. the newer released consoles have a 2007 sticker on the box and a plastic bubble Yobo logo above the NES cartridge port. This version fixes the discoloration problems in SNES games and i have also noticed that the NOAC is much better this time around and does in fact play Castlevania III. i have yet to try any other games that are reported to have not worked on the earlier release but i do stress the re-release NOAC is much better than the Neo-Fami or the NEX in terms of audio and video quality.

This video was recently posted on Youtube: width="425" height="355"> name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SesaRlpI..." target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/SesaRlpI...">> name="wmode" value="transparent">> src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SesaRlpIQ-U&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355">>>

Edited: 12/15/2007 at 05:43 PM by slicknixon

Dec 16, 2007 at 2:08:18 AM
bunnyboy (81)
California
While that video is painful, a new FC Twin sounds cool. I would guess people should be careful buying online in case they get the old version. Any chance the audio duty cycles are fixed?

Dec 16, 2007 at 7:31:27 AM
Zzap (47)
(James ) < King Solomon >
Australia
That is interesting that they released a new version of the FC Twin, it appears as though companies have been using the same NOAC for years without an upgrade. I'd be very interested to hear a few more details of the improved compatibility.

-------------------------

Chunkout for iPhone, iPad and iTouch out now!
Chunkout Games: FaceBook | Web

Dec 18, 2007 at 1:31:15 PM
NickyP (0)
(Nicky P) < Meka Chicken >
Colorado
I have a Yobo FC that plays both nes and fc games but it's not the twin. Games seem to work on it ok with a glitch here and there but the controllers suck. the directional pads are fucked on em.

-------------------------
"If someone says you're ugly, tell them you're not an ugly human but a good looking ape with advanced speech skills."

Dec 18, 2007 at 9:08:33 PM
slicknixon (0)
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

Any chance the audio duty cycles are fixed?

If your referring to the occasional off-key note in some music in a small percentage of games, this is still there, but much improved upon when compared to the horrible audio the Yobo Neo-Fami attempts to reproduce. It still sounds a bit different, but is by no means bad. In fact, once i got used to hearing audio from both left and right speakers, when i went to play some games with really great music (Megaman 2 for instance, which sounds amazing on the FCT btw) on an NES i had to hook the FC Twin back up so i could hear it in "simulated" stereo. Seeing that i am an indie/electronic musician and audiophile, NES music is very important to me and I prefer the FC Twin over the actual NES, proving you have to be pretty damn picky to say that the rereleased FCT is anything short of an improvement when compared to previous NOAC's.

Dec 18, 2007 at 9:25:23 PM
slicknixon (0)
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: NickyP

I have a Yobo FC that plays both nes and fc games but it's not the twin. Games seem to work on it ok with a glitch here and there but the controllers suck. the directional pads are fucked on em.

As one would expect, any NOAC is going to be inferior to the actual hardware in some ways (no matter how minor), and the FC Twin (even the re-release) is no exception. There are glitches in a few games.. Rad Racer, Gauntlet, and Paperboy are the only ones i've tried so far to be glitched to the point of unplayability. It is such a small percentage of glitched games, it's hard to pass judgement based on this fact. As far as controllers go, just plug an original SNES controller into the FC Twin, and in my opinion, you couldn't have a better controller to play NES games with.
Is all this talk blasphemy to the original NES hardware?? Probably, but i can't deny how much i like this damn clone system

Edited: 12/18/2007 at 09:26 PM by slicknixon