Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2015 Weekly Contests Presents: Rampart Contest ends Sunday, 4/26/15 at 11 PM NA time

Apr 20, 2015 at 6:22:43 PM
ninjistar (29)
(Mr E ) < El Ripper >
California
Originally posted by: gutsman004

I like the battle portion of the game but I absolutely despise the repair portion. Can the game give you any more + and z blocks when you don't need them? I swear it's like clockwork,the puzzle piece you absolutely don't need you get. Especially when time is running out or you have nowhere to put it. That's how I die every time.

I totally agree with you. I can only speculate that this was done as a way to make the game more difficult.  It's a crappy way to do that, but I guess that's what we've got.  Have you noticed that you can't move bricks over the water?  That's another frustrating limitation.  Sometimes I get "stuck" on a water brick and have to hurry to get the thing moving again!

-------------------------
On the hunt for prototypes...

Eat, sleep, collect, repeat.
[ YouTube ]   [ Twitter ]   [ Blog ]   [ RF Generation ]   [ VGCollect ]   [ NA WTB

Apr 20, 2015 at 6:53:14 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: ninjistar

I like the battle portion of the game but I absolutely despise the repair portion. Can the game give you any more + and z blocks when you don't need them? I swear it's like clockwork,the puzzle piece you absolutely don't need you get. Especially when time is running out or you have nowhere to put it. That's how I die every time.

I totally agree with you. I can only speculate that this was done as a way to make the game more difficult.  It's a crappy way to do that, but I guess that's what we've got.  Have you noticed that you can't move bricks over the water?  That's another frustrating limitation.  Sometimes I get "stuck" on a water brick and have to hurry to get the thing moving again!

Yeah,a block that's technically not there can't move over water....genius.

Seems like the way to go is to make your walls somewhat expansive (but not too much) and to reinforce those walls as much as you can. Doing both will help reduce time spent on repair although the fires really throw a wrench in your plans no matter what.

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:41:10 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
Great game! Can't believe that I've never popped this in before. People talk a lot of shit about Jaleco games but look at titles like this and Whomp Em. Color me surprised.

Edited: 04/23/2015 at 08:52 PM by barrels

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:32:17 PM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania

After a round with no canons (castle area not big enough), I managed to get one more round in by capturing a different castle. Gosh this game is great. I just hate those stupid flames that keep you from building. I don't know how anyone gets super high scores.

Edited: 04/21/2015 at 11:46 PM by mattbep

Apr 20, 2015 at 11:02:58 PM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
I just played an entire game and didn't realize you can rotate the pieces until I saw it in the attract mode. But even with my own dumb limitation this game is pretty fun!

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Apr 20, 2015 at 11:04:49 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Yeah, this game is a lot of fun and not much talked about when it comes to NES. I think this might be the last true NES hidden gem (value instantly quadruple on eBay).

Apr 21, 2015 at 4:08:57 AM
scaryice (115)
(scary ice) < King Solomon >
Illinois
57,864 - completed the game. I never shoot the final ship, I don't how that would affect your points it you do it.

WTB/WTTF - Famicom carts (54 needed):

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Apr 21, 2015 at 6:55:39 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Edited: 04/24/2015 at 01:06 PM by bearcat-doug

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:25:01 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Just a FYI since I found out the hard way, the game doesn't always save your high score if you start another game so you need to take a picture after each attempt. I figured I'd let everyone know so they don't end up losing their best score if they decide to play consecutive games.

Edited: 04/24/2015 at 01:07 PM by bearcat-doug

Apr 21, 2015 at 4:32:39 PM
ninjistar (29)
(Mr E ) < El Ripper >
California
Originally posted by: guillavoie

Yeah, this game is a lot of fun and not much talked about when it comes to NES. I think this might be the last true NES hidden gem (value instantly quadruple on eBay).

I LOL, but you're probably right ...

And it IS a great game!  I love similar games (Populous comes to mind), so I am still surprised that I have never played this before.

[ YouTube ]   [ Twitter ]   [ Blog ]   [ RF Generation ]   [ VGCollect ]   [ NA WTB

Apr 21, 2015 at 5:10:26 PM
Vectrex28 (130)
(CD-i Kraid) < Master Higgins >
Switzerland
Originally posted by: barrelsAndRivets

Great game! Can't believe that I've never popped this in before. People talk a lot of shit about Jaleco games but look at titles like this and Whomp Em. Color me surprised.

Jaleco games are pretty good. They probably have a bad rap because of all the sports games they did (The non-bases loaded ones are quite crappy), but their non-sports games are good. Except Metal Mech which is unplayable of course

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:57:16 PM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
ninji, thank you for continuing to remind everyone how much better I am at Kung Fu than you hahaha. You can take that down now man!

Also, updated score.

Edited: 04/21/2015 at 11:45 PM by mattbep

Apr 21, 2015 at 11:50:03 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
slight update to original post. points are well-earned in this one.

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:59:03 PM
ninjistar (29)
(Mr E ) < El Ripper >
California
Originally posted by: mattbep

ninji, thank you for continuing to remind everyone how much better I am at Kung Fu than you hahaha. You can take that down now man!

Also, updated score.

Ha! I forgot about that.  I guess this explains why your royalty checks stopped rolling in...

Apr 22, 2015 at 6:10:52 PM
bertsampson (11)
(Andrew Bradley) < Meka Chicken >
Washington
Just a heads up for anyone completing the game for the first time. Blasting away the final ship at the end gets you 10,000 points.

Apr 22, 2015 at 9:54:28 PM
scaryice (115)
(scary ice) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Ok - shoot ships that wave the white flag, got it.

WTB/WTTF - Famicom carts (54 needed):

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Apr 23, 2015 at 8:53:00 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
Score update.

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:36:42 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
I'm probably in the minority on this one,but dare I say I hate this game. The battles are fun,but the repair part and specifically the game's knack for usually giving you blocks you can't use or the enemy bombing areas where you need one particular type block or else is maddening and it ruins the game for me. I'll give it one more go in a few minutes and if I don't improve then I think I'm done. Tired of this game cheap killing me.

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:45:10 PM
bertsampson (11)
Washington
I understand what you're saying guts, but it's a matter of overcoming the inability to surround a castle with walls. Quickly seeing that there is too much fire, or the chances of getting a two block piece is not going to happen. I played this game for the first time last week, and I've really enjoyed it.

Apr 24, 2015 at 12:48:40 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: bertsampson

I understand what you're saying guts, but it's a matter of overcoming the inability to surround a castle with walls. Quickly seeing that there is too much fire, or the chances of getting a two block piece is not going to happen. I played this game for the first time last week, and I've really enjoyed it.

Quickly identifying the fire is not the issue,it's when there are numerous bomber ships that move really fast that's the problem. They carpet bomb every inch of your defense,making it to where you have to go to another castle. Wash,rinse,repeat and hope you don't run out of space.

I played one level and I kept pulling out last second surrounds thinking after 3-4 rounds I would win but the level kept going until basically most of the playing field was ablaze and I couldn't do anything. This game just doesn't give you enough defensive abilities.

At least you should be able to put out the fires in some way and/or be able to upgrade your cannons without dying. The game penalizes you for succeeding. Live,same cannons....die,upgrade! Plus the difficulty regresses back to level 1. Makes no sense at all. My updated score photo pretty much sums it up.

I'm just going to use your line from the Ninja Gaiden contest....NEXT!

Edited: 04/24/2015 at 12:49 AM by gutsman004

Apr 24, 2015 at 12:56:36 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

The competitor in me wouldn't let me quit this game just yet although unless I figure out a better strategy there's no way I'm touching bert's beastly score.

Edited: 04/25/2015 at 03:08 AM by gutsman004

Apr 24, 2015 at 7:30:46 AM
bertsampson (11)
Washington

Quickly identifying the fire is not the issue,it's when there are numerous bomber ships that move really fast that's the problem. They carpet bomb every inch of your defense,making it to where you have to go to another castle. Wash,rinse,repeat and hope you don't run out of space. I played one level and I kept pulling out last second surrounds thinking after 3-4 rounds I would win but the level kept going until basically most of the playing field was ablaze and I couldn't do anything. This game just doesn't give you enough defensive abilities. At least you should be able to put out the fires in some way and/or be able to upgrade your cannons without dying. The game penalizes you for succeeding. Live,same cannons....die,upgrade! Plus the difficulty regresses back to level 1. Makes no sense at all. My updated score photo pretty much sums it up. I'm just going to use your line from the Ninja Gaiden contest....NEXT!

"Good.  You've identified the problem, the next step is washing it off."

I found that the most important thing was to take out the red ships (their bombs cause fire), then take out the docked ships and any "tanks", then try and shoot down the other ships.  Then, on building, stay away from the outside wall, and don't put your guns next to the walls or castles when possible.  On the hardest difficulties, I opted to not even build all my guns just so I would have an easier time building walls the next time.

One other thing, I played on my PC as well as my NES, and I felt like I could move faster on my NES.  I never beat the game on my PC.  Felt like I could build the walls faster on my NES.

I'm ready to move on the next game as well, but Pin Bot?  Tom maxed this one out too, but I'm having a hard time getting more than a couple million!

Edited: 04/24/2015 at 07:44 AM by bertsampson

Apr 24, 2015 at 10:02:36 AM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois

I'm not sure if I'll have more time to play but here is what I have.

I like this game, but it is so easy to lose.  I get the frustration for sure.

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Apr 24, 2015 at 1:10:19 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: arnpoly

I'm not sure if I'll have more time to play but here is what I have.

I like this game, but it is so easy to lose.  I get the frustration for sure.

Same here. I thought I'd have a shot at beating the game, but I'm not sure how much more time I've got for it this week.

Apr 24, 2015 at 1:26:17 PM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California

that's impressive. I did a quick run through last night and got 49k. I have some ideas on how to improve but that's a pretty wide gap.

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion