Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Has there ever been a complete collection sold?

Nov 21, 2006 at 12:34:21 AM
Gamefreak (1)
(Clint Shelton) < Crack Trooper >
California
Or anything close to it? Either privatly or auctioned.

-------------------------
up up, down down, left right left right, B A, Start

Everything in the universe revolves around this code.

Nov 21, 2006 at 6:51:42 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
There was a guy in Europe with a near-complete NTSC collection listed at 20K. I haven't seen many people with a 100% complete collection ever try to sell one. In fact, I've never seen anyone with a true 100% complete collection. There have been several collectors over the last few years selling off their collections, but they usually do it game-by-game. Qixmaster (he's on this board) sold his a while back, and he was pretty close to having a complete collection as well.

But I still ponder what constitutes a complete colleciton. My opinion of one is greatly different than what a lot of people might think. I personally don't think it's possible to have a complete collection due to some important variations, etc.

-Dain

Nov 21, 2006 at 3:13:56 PM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
I don't think anyone could ever really have reason to do that...if they need quick cash they can sell SE or Myriad or Panesians and still keep the rest. Perhaps "bulking off" the rest of the <$100 ones would be understandable but one could get so much more either chunking or piecemealing it. My general rule of thumb when I'm buying a lot of carts is I'll pay most of market value on the carts in the lot that I need, and I don't even figure in the stuff I don't need (unless it's $10+ value) because that's what I'm going to sell to help pay for my acquisition. If there's other $10+ carts in it I'll usually value them at 50% of what they'll sell for. Then I get my magic number for my max bid, and if I win I win if I lose I lose.

I think a lot of people do this more subconsciously but the sentiment is the same. If they're getting a bunch of stuff they just can't value it all at full value if they don't need it in the first place. Most people that have been collecting long enough to approach a full set either know this or have an innate feeling for the "biz" of it and know to break it up. Especially for the larger carts, they may avoid the 'Bay altogether and go with private transactions just for the safety of dealing with someone they know and helping a fellow collector.

Another good (and probably unanswerable) question is how many people have obtained, or approached a full collection that aren't regular members of this or other boards on the topic? That's gotta be so tough without some help...

Nov 21, 2006 at 7:46:16 PM
wrldstrman (107)
(doug prickett) < Master Higgins >
West Virginia
Ive never seen a complete US nes collection sold Ive seen a collection of loose carts that was missing a couple of the rares have a bid of ten thousand dollars....The few complete collections ive seen for sale were missing the rare games. I would say a complete US collection would be worth twenty thousand easy..Ive yet to see anyone with a complete racermate 2 challenge..Im getting pretty close but I still need a few items and Im in no hurry to finish.. Im going for every game and all the systems and accessories boxed...Im not into varations if you tried to get every different item that had a small diference you would have thousands upon thousands of games and I see not point in having multiple copies of the same game just because one cart has a grey border and one white..But thats the fun of collecting its up to the individual to decide what they want to collect.

But I dont think anyone has or had a 100 percent complete US nes collection. many have come real close but I cant think of anyone who has made it.

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

Nov 21, 2006 at 9:23:54 PM
udisi (88)
< King Solomon >
United States
I think remember one on ebay maybe 2001 ish that was mostly loose a few completes, think it was going somewhere in the 12-15k range

Nov 21, 2006 at 11:10:03 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: wrldstrman
Ive yet to see anyone with a complete racermate 2 challenge.

I've got one. In other words, I've got one with all the parts, etc.

-Dain

Nov 27, 2006 at 4:30:11 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: wrldstrman

The few complete collections ive seen for sale were missing the rare games. I would say a complete US collection would be worth twenty thousand easy...

well how are you defining complete? 20k seems like a lot to me for a cart only collection. Or are you saying for a complete set of complete games?

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Nov 27, 2006 at 6:38:32 PM
wrldstrman (107)
(doug prickett) < Master Higgins >
West Virginia
complete

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

Feb 16, 2007 at 2:33:44 PM
Hounder (0)
(David Pendergast) < Meka Chicken >
Illinois
I know dl_collectibles sold his complete CIB collection back in like 2001. This included SE, Myriad, Panesians, and all the rest. But he sold it off one piece at a time instead of bulk which is the best thing to do if selling. Get more out of it.

Also, besides the sealed SE copy that Bronty bought, I believe dl_collectibles was the last complete copy sold on ebay.

Sorry for bringing up an old topic.....

Hi, my name is David Pendergast, aka:

Jesse Jones
Philip Varney

I scammed people on NintendoAge a while back. Since then, I've been unwelcome. Do not do business with me!

Edited: 02/16/2007 at 02:34 PM by Hounder

Feb 17, 2007 at 1:58:08 AM
Dr. Morbis (30)
(Basil T) < Kraid Killer >
Alberta
Originally posted by: Hounder
I know dl_collectibles sold his complete CIB collection back in like 2001.

dl sold his collection a lot more recently than that. I'm thinking around late 2004-ish. I remember the auctions pretty vividly, but didn't snag many myself due to the outrageous prices he was getting (it was great for him though, obviously). Yeah, so unless he sold off, then built up another collection and sold it off a second time, 2001 is waaaaay too early to date it at.

My mantra, as worded by SamSpade on 06/12/12:
I don't resell to fund my collection, I don't treat this hobby like a second job, I don't care if my collection is worth ten bucks or ten thousand because I never plan on selling it. Seriously, what does the value have to do with anything if you never plan on selling? Speculation doesn't mean jack shit to me at this point, I just want to play my nes games...