Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

SNES cart shell repair/swap

Mar 3, 2018 at 4:41:23 PM
freespace2dotcom (0)

< Cherub >
Hello, I've got a copy of Megaman X3 that I've had for a long time. Unfortunately, previous to my owning it, it was a rental, and is in fairly poor shape. Beyond the extreme label damage, I am most concerned with the rear half of the shell. At some point, the small bit of plastic that held one side of the PCB in place was chipped off.

This damage causes the PCB to go into the SNES at an angle, and while it is has never been at a harsh enough angle to prevent proper operation, I now feel that it is time to do something to ensure the cart securely holds the PCB down in order to prevent further damage, either to the remaining part of the shell, or perhaps to the PCB itself.

I would rather enact repairs, but I am open to swapping rears if there are rears compatible with the MMX3 board.

Here is an image of the damage in question. It's fairly minor, but it is enough to prevent the PCB from being securely locked in place. Any help would be appreciated.

Mar 3, 2018 at 7:50:50 PM
dav3yb (39)
(david ) < Meka Chicken >
Mississippi
If you still have the piece that broke off (sometimes you can find them rattling around inside the cart), you can always just use some light dabs of super glue to put it back in place.

Mar 3, 2018 at 10:09:24 PM
Quinten (16)
(Quinten Tallman) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin
I've heard of people super glueing legos in cart shells to hold pcb's

Mar 4, 2018 at 4:50:01 AM
Nes Freak (31)
(Dave ) < Ridley Wrangler >
California
Originally posted by: Quinten

I've heard of people super glueing legos in cart shells to hold pcb's
ive done the lego trick on a few carts. it works really well    to do the lego trick right make sure you sand the area you put the lego on with super glue to make sure it sticks good

Mar 4, 2018 at 8:05:57 AM
freespace2dotcom (0)

< Cherub >
Interesting. Is there a particular lego brick to use? To my memory even the thinner small ones would be too thick to use. Or is this supposed to be used directly over instead of a true repair?

Edited: 03/04/2018 at 08:07 AM by freespace2dotcom