Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Potential score of the century? "sealed" Dragon Warrior IV

Jul 25, 2010 at 2:30:32 AM
Retroscribe81 (241)
(Bill H) < Ridley Wrangler >
Pennsylvania
I haven't been collecting very long so I've never seen a sealed Dragon Warrior IV actually go on eBay or GG...

I've looked over all the "how to spot a fake seal" guides and such...but I'm just nervous.  Everything looks really legit from everything I've read.

The thing that's on my side is that since none have sold on eBay lately, there's no recent price history and through early negotiations, I think I can get it at a reasonable price.  (His game pricing knowledge is very limited...and I mean very.  He has a Super Nintendo for sale at his place for $60 that's yellow as can be...but he sold me a near-mint copy of Mike Tyson's Punch-Out for $0.50.)

I'm considering offering the guy $200.  Then maybe I can post some really good detailed pics on here and we can try to determine if it's real.

I think $200 is a good number for me, personally.  If I post a bunch of pics and everyone is unanimous that it's a fake seal...I'll open her up and (hopefully) find a complete Dragon Warrior IV that I can either keep for the collection or resell and get some $ back.  If it's a fake, and I open it and it's full of marbles, I can handle losing $200.  If it's the real deal......

....then I'd like a price check

-------------------------

Jul 25, 2010 at 2:36:50 AM
imanerd0011 (20)
(. .) < El Ripper >
United States
If he has no idea of the price, why the hell would you offer him $200? That would be a real red flag and possibly tip him off that it is worth big money!
I'd offer the guy $5 and work my way up from there. Maybe offer $10 and make it seem like that's a lot since the game is so old.
Why would you want to pay more than you have to?

Jul 25, 2010 at 5:34:54 AM
Herbalist (139)
(Bill Brasky) < King Solomon >
Wisconsin
If you offer someone $5 for a sealed game, 9/10 times they will probably blow you off and think your just wasting their time. Maybe offer $100 for starters. Say you see the game w/ box sell for like 50 so you figure another 50 for unopened is fair, or something like that.
Good luck!

Jul 25, 2010 at 9:03:23 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
I'd strongly advise against the $5 initial offer. If the guy has any "collector" in him at all, that'll probably infuriate him so much that you won't reach a deal period. If someone lowballs me, I will never sell anything to them simply out of spite. No matter how high their offer may eventually become.

But conversely, if $200 is really the price that you want to pay, you can't start there either. Initial offers are rarely accepted, try starting lower at $100 or $150. Then in negotiations when you move up to $200, it makes you look flexible and the seller has better odds of accepting.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Jul 25, 2010 at 9:14:55 AM
Sticky (185)
(Sn0 Bro) < Kraid Killer >
United States
Good luck with this. Haggling is like walking a tightrope.

Jul 25, 2010 at 9:43:06 AM
smeagolsama (211)
(Bronner's Army) < El Ripper >
Missouri
I'd offer like 50 dollars which is "what they cost new". See what he says. Its not such a lowball offer as to infuriate him, but kind of makes sense. I'd definately verify that seam though.

Jul 25, 2010 at 10:29:00 AM
Levirules (12)
(Levi Morgan) < Meka Chicken >
New York
Originally posted by: jonebone

I'd strongly advise against the $5 initial offer. If the guy has any "collector" in him at all, that'll probably infuriate him so much that you won't reach a deal period. If someone lowballs me, I will never sell anything to them simply out of spite. No matter how high their offer may eventually become.

But conversely, if $200 is really the price that you want to pay, you can't start there either. Initial offers are rarely accepted, try starting lower at $100 or $150. Then in negotiations when you move up to $200, it makes you look flexible and the seller has better odds of accepting.

I never understood this. Why can't you just say no and move on? If he changes his tune and gets closer to the real value of the item that he was originally lowballing you on, why say no? I don't see anything wrong with lowballing whatsoever. The seller can simply say "no," and then no harm is done. There's no way to find out what kind of deal you can get from someone if you offer FMV right away.

::: Now playing: Demon's Souls, Portal 2 :::

Jul 25, 2010 at 10:43:35 AM
MoeDown (72)
(big hed) < El Ripper >
United States
Originally posted by: sixxgunner81

....then I'd like a price check

$1500-$2000. Condition dictates value.

Jul 25, 2010 at 11:08:14 AM
Bella (104)
(Bellatrix Lestrange) < Ridley Wrangler >
Alabama

If someone lowballs me, I will never sell anything to them simply out of spite. No matter how high their offer may eventually become.

But yet you have no problems sending someone a lowball yourself?

Back on topic....

There have been many tutorials written on eBay and here in the ezine. If you can make damn sure its a legit seal it would rethink your highest offer.

As for the haggling I agree that I would not shoot to your highest offer first. And ig dude has no idea on prices a 200 offer would raise red flags. I agree with the above poster and off er 50 at first explaining that is what the game coat new and move up from there.

I have bigger balls than any man out there... They just sit two feet higher!

Jul 25, 2010 at 11:18:27 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
I think DWIV might have been one of those oddball games that debuted at $60 or $65.
I know DWII was something bizarre like $63, when I got it new.

Jul 25, 2010 at 12:02:39 PM
mb7241 (183)
(Matt B.) < Bowser >
Tennessee
Yeah, if I remember correctly, Dragon Warrior IV was $60 new. But on the topic of negotiations, yeah, I'd start him at $50 or $60 and move up from there. Triple digits off the bat would almost certainly be a red flag.

Answering any and all questions related to video game collecting.  Guaranteed true and honest answers from a man with nearly 20 years in the community.  Prices for these answers vary depending on the question.  For all inquiries, please PM me.

Jul 25, 2010 at 1:11:37 PM
dr.robbie (175)
(Robbie Pacanowski) < Bowser >
Missouri
agreed with above posts. shoot something like 50-75 for starters and be willing to work your way up. make sure it's a legit seal first though - brush up on some of the older ezines.

Let's Go Penguins!

Jul 25, 2010 at 8:51:33 PM
alekx (108)
(Alexander Kong) < Bowser >
Alberta
any latest info on this? did he take $75?

Jul 26, 2010 at 8:25:15 AM
jonebone (554)
Maryland
Originally posted by: Bella

If someone lowballs me, I will never sell anything to them simply out of spite. No matter how high their offer may eventually become.

Back on topic....

$125 as an initial starting offer is a lowball on a Harvest Moon CIB?  Apparently our definitions of lowballs differ.

When I sold Sculptor's Cut CIB one of the first offers I got was $60.  That's a lowball, that person was placed on my ignore list and I would never sell to them again period.

Same in this case, a $5 or $10 offer on a $1500+ item is just a wee bit of a lowball I'd think. 

Offering 75% of an items value isn't a lowball, that's a good starting position.

Jul 26, 2010 at 8:56:28 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Originally posted by: Bella

Back on topic....

$125 as an initial starting offer is a lowball on a Harvest Moon CIB?  Apparently our definitions of lowballs differ.

When I sold Sculptor's Cut CIB one of the first offers I got was $60.  That's a lowball, that person was placed on my ignore list and I would never sell to them again period.

Same in this case, a $5 or $10 offer on a $1500+ item is just a wee bit of a lowball I'd think. 

Offering 75% of an items value isn't a lowball, that's a good starting position.

I think that's a really unfortunate attitude.

Somebody offering you original retail, regardless of the item, shouldn't warrant being placed on an ignore list.

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:02:20 AM
jonebone (554)
Maryland
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Somebody offering you original retail, regardless of the item, shouldn't warrant being placed on an ignore list.

It is unfortunate, if I were trying to squeeze pennies out of my items.  But I usually price my items quite fairly and there's always at least one person, sometimes multiple ones that will offer well and I give them priority.  NA isn't a yardsale, if you want to be taken seriously at least present a somewhat realistic offer.

Businessmen don't waste their time with window shoppers. 

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:06:10 AM
Battymo (100)
(Scrubb'n Nutz) < King Solomon >
Nova Scotia
Original retail for collectibles? C'mon Arch, you know better than that!

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:07:29 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

It is unfortunate, if I were trying to squeeze pennies out of my items.  But I usually price my items quite fairly and there's always at least one person, sometimes multiple ones that will offer well and I give them priority.  NA isn't a yardsale, if you want to be taken seriously at least present a somewhat realistic offer.

Ha!

I'm not suggesting you sell it at that low price, but I just think it's petty to permanently ignore them.
Inform them of a more realistic price range and move on.  To do otherwise, just comes off as arrogant, self-important, and generally rude.

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:08:02 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Battymo

It's a starting offer, not a selling price.  C'mon Batty, you know better than that!

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:08:58 AM
OSG (28)
(PEEP and PAMP) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
Wellp. So long, thread. Nice knowing you.

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:09:18 AM
Battymo (100)
(Scrubb'n Nutz) < King Solomon >
Nova Scotia

It's a starting offer, not a selling price.  C'mon Batty, you know better than that!

If I offered you a penny for a 1943 wheat penny, would you not be offended?

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:16:24 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

If I offered you a penny for a 1943 wheat penny, would you not be offended?

It's one thing to be offended when people lowball you on something you created (art, games, whatever), since that represents your creative output, and in a sense your personal worth.

But to offer something low on a physical item that a person just happens to possess and is selling...why be "offended"?

Regardless, a 1943 wheat penny is only worth $0.50 if you're lucky, unless you're talking about one actually struck from copper.

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:16:43 AM
jonebone (554)
Maryland

Ha!

I'm not suggesting you sell it at that low price, but I just think it's petty to permanently ignore them.
Inform them of a more realistic price range and move on.  To do otherwise, just comes off as arrogant, self-important, and generally rude.

Yeah well some sellers value morals and ethics more than dollars.  I'd rather sell a $100 game for $80 to a member who has been very polite in their offers than take $125 from someone who treats me as a joke with a starting offer of $25.

Lowballing can work great when dealing with the unknowledgable but when you do it to a collector you run the risk of pissing them off.  Maybe some people are more forgiving than me, but if you waste my time with a piss poor offer then you can take your business elsewhere and keep your money. 

Maybe you're offended because you don't do a lot of buying and selling of moderately valuable stuff ($100+ per item).  When you've sold plenty of items at that level you quickly realize who's wasting your time trying to grab a bargain and who's a collector with legitimate interest in your item. 

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:20:21 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
You're absolutely right that you do more volume of higher priced items than I do.

But I don't think it involves treating anyone like a joke. A person is stating a price they'd love to get the item at, and you simply reply and say "No thanks...try $XX".

You make this whole thing sound way more person than it should be for someone who says they're a businessman.

Jul 26, 2010 at 10:08:45 AM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
^yes, shutting people out because they "lowball" in your eyes is pretty poor business. You have got to give some people the benefit of the doubt, especially new collectors. If people are sending lowball offers on purpose, knowning that the value is WAY more, that is one thing, but a $60 offer on a what... $130 game... that isn't lowball in my book. I've sent lower offers on ebay auctions that have been accepted.

With that said, it is always okay to offer whatever you are willing to pay for an item without harsh treatment or ridicule, especially if you are not 100% sure of the value. Or maybe you want to score a good deal for your collection. Collectors LOVE a good deal and hate paying market value. Show me someone on here who doesn't like a good deal and I will sell them my collection today.

eBay listings here