Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

pricecharting sniper tool - is that what y'all do

Jun 24 at 1:45:39 PM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
I use Item Alert all day (because it's easy, not because it's fast) and I don't really keep tabs on it. But every day I'll see underpriced games scroll by, although I'm at work so I usually miss them. Yeah you can find a $25 PS2 game for $8 if you watch all day, but you'll also see $60 hangtab Metroids, etc. There are definitely people sitting there watching retro new listings scroll by more intently than I am getting really good stuff.

-------------------------
Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Jun 24 at 1:51:50 PM
Jono1874 (22)
(Mega Man) < Meka Chicken >
California
Originally posted by: MrWunderful

A lot of people have time to waste sitting at a computer trying to buy a game for 20 they can flip for 35 and make an 8 dollar profit for a couple hours of work.

Let them have that shit.

Thats basically where I'm at with this. If people want to waste hours to save $12 more power to them.

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Jono...

Jun 24 at 3:04:58 PM
14u2ponder (1)

< Crack Trooper >
Originally posted by: Jono1874

A lot of people have time to waste sitting at a computer trying to buy a game for 20 they can flip for 35 and make an 8 dollar profit for a couple hours of work.

Let them have that shit.

Thats basically where I'm at with this. If people want to waste hours to save $12 more power to them.

they are saving a lot more than $12 dollars relative to ebay prices anyway. Although admittedly ebay prices are outragously high, so anything that sells for close to game value now prices looks like a steal on most games. This usually doesn't affect loose carts as much as it affects boxed gameboy games. Since there are so many loose carts for every gameboy, only the rarest title gets sniped the way I'm talking. But BOXED games, oh my lord - since you may not find a similar box listed for who knows how long, if the prices are normal and not inflated, it's gone as fast as it's listed. 
Although timing is also an issue: I bought a sealed gameboy advance and spent $40 more than one that got listed less than a week after I bought mine. At the time, the one I bought was $70 less than any other one listed. The problem is you don't know if another will be listed for a lot lower price, so you have to buy it when you can.

Jun 24 at 3:09:55 PM
Outdoormongoose (15)

< Little Mac >
Arizona
Originally posted by: 14u2ponder

Originally posted by: AirVillain

Remember back in the day when WE used to be the sniping tool???

I would just remember when an auction I was watching would be ending and be on my computer for that time.

I wouldn't bother with what has to be hell trying to outbid bots (even possible???) and millions of dorks like us trying to bid on ebay now. BIN BAYBEEEEEEE.

You can outbid a bot easy, just make your bid what you are willing to pay rather than making it "just enough to nudge over the current high bid" You are still not full-proof here, but if you wait to bid till the last 5 seconds and then make a healthy bid on something, the bot would have to be set to bid OVER your high bid, which it doesn't know what that is. 

Yo guy... that's not beating a bot, that's paying my maximum price. 

I want to get it for as LOW as possible.

If I'm going to pay my max price, why bother with the auction? I'll just BIN. Which, as alluded to, is my preffered method now because it's just much easier and I don't have to bother watching auctions. 

Back in the day when there was much more available it was worth it to watch auctions, and FUN, but not so much anymore. 
You actually don't pay the maxium. 

Example: say you are looking at an auction that is currently sitting at $9.87 with 2 bidders for Kid Dracula loose cart (mint condition). There is 1:36 seconds till the gavel. You want to beat the bots and whoever else is willing to bid. SO:
you judge that you'd be willing to pay $88.65 for the cart. You feel if you can get it UNDER $90 then you got a bargain. With this number in mind, you decide to put a final bid of $90 on the cart and cross your fingers.
At 5 seconds left to go, you unleash your bid: $90. At the same time, the bots and other humans who are trying to get it release their bids, and here's where ebay makes it FAIR and why the bots aren't better than anybody else bidding.
Ebay's bot system is sorting through all of these bids at a lightnighing pace. It does 3 things.
First it looks to see what the current high bidder's maximum bid is. When the high bidder put in his bid, he had the option of putting a number that HE was willing to buy the game for. So for example, let's say that the current high bidder put in a $50 bid, and so he outbid the person who was the previous high bidder's mark, and was sitting at $9.87 as his CURRENT high bid. Remember, that when HE placed the bid, he did not BID $9.87, he bid $50. So in order to beat his bid you need to go over that amount.
So now comes the more complicated part. At the end of an auction, everybody is putting in last minute bids and say you do the same. Say you bid $10, and then look to see you have been outbid to $10.50. The important part here is that the person who bid $10.50 did not have to do anything. Ebay's bot saw that he has a bid of $50, so ebay took your bid, and increased the high bid accordingly. This concept is important. Because let's go back to your $90 maximum bid. If you bid $90 at the end of the auction and no one else bid anything, then you WIN that auction and your final bid would not be $90, it would be $50.50, or just over the maximum bid that came in or was already in.

So see, the bots don't have an advantage on you other than the fact they are willing to bid more than you.

That's how I won without over spending a lot of the time.

I would factor in pricechart, condition, shipping....etc. Then I would come up with a price of what it would cost and what I thought most would try to pay for it. I'd go over that by a whole 50c. If a seller had multiple items I'd factor in combo-shipping and email the seller before bidding. It's not worth my time or money to sit there for hours watching for games to save a few buck here and there.

If it went over that...good for them but they overspent. I had a few go to crazy amounts for no reason at all. 

I caught one low priced BIN at random. It ended up being a return(lying seller about disc rot) so I don't really look for those anymore. I figure there's a reason those are cheap. 

Jun 24 at 3:25:41 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California

Let them have that shit.

they are saving a lot more than $12 dollars relative to ebay prices anyway. Although admittedly ebay prices are outragously high, so anything that sells for close to game value now prices looks like a steal on most games. This usually doesn't affect loose carts as much as it affects boxed gameboy games. Since there are so many loose carts for every gameboy, only the rarest title gets sniped the way I'm talking. But BOXED games, oh my lord - since you may not find a similar box listed for who knows how long, if the prices are normal and not inflated, it's gone as fast as it's listed. 
Although timing is also an issue: I bought a sealed gameboy advance and spent $40 more than one that got listed less than a week after I bought mine. At the time, the one I bought was $70 less than any other one listed. The problem is you don't know if another will be listed for a lot lower price, so you have to buy it when you can.

Relative to ebay prices are irrelevant. If you are going to be a dirty reseller, at least make money. If you want to buy things at market value because “its cheaper than ebay prices”, it seems like nonsense. Im not going to tell people how to spend their time, but I will for sure make fun of them for it!

Edit: not “you” OP, “you” in the global sense. !

www.videogamesage.com...

Edited: 06/24/2019 at 03:30 PM by MrWunderful

Jun 24 at 3:29:16 PM
14u2ponder (1)

< Crack Trooper >
Originally posted by: Outdoormongoose

Remember back in the day when WE used to be the sniping tool???

I would just remember when an auction I was watching would be ending and be on my computer for that time.

I wouldn't bother with what has to be hell trying to outbid bots (even possible???) and millions of dorks like us trying to bid on ebay now. BIN BAYBEEEEEEE.

You can outbid a bot easy, just make your bid what you are willing to pay rather than making it "just enough to nudge over the current high bid" You are still not full-proof here, but if you wait to bid till the last 5 seconds and then make a healthy bid on something, the bot would have to be set to bid OVER your high bid, which it doesn't know what that is. 

Yo guy... that's not beating a bot, that's paying my maximum price. 

I want to get it for as LOW as possible.

If I'm going to pay my max price, why bother with the auction? I'll just BIN. Which, as alluded to, is my preffered method now because it's just much easier and I don't have to bother watching auctions. 

Back in the day when there was much more available it was worth it to watch auctions, and FUN, but not so much anymore. 

Example: say you are looking at an auction that is currently sitting at $9.87 with 2 bidders for Kid Dracula loose cart (mint condition). There is 1:36 seconds till the gavel. You want to beat the bots and whoever else is willing to bid. SO:
you judge that you'd be willing to pay $88.65 for the cart. You feel if you can get it UNDER $90 then you got a bargain. With this number in mind, you decide to put a final bid of $90 on the cart and cross your fingers.
At 5 seconds left to go, you unleash your bid: $90. At the same time, the bots and other humans who are trying to get it release their bids, and here's where ebay makes it FAIR and why the bots aren't better than anybody else bidding.
Ebay's bot system is sorting through all of these bids at a lightnighing pace. It does 3 things.
First it looks to see what the current high bidder's maximum bid is. When the high bidder put in his bid, he had the option of putting a number that HE was willing to buy the game for. So for example, let's say that the current high bidder put in a $50 bid, and so he outbid the person who was the previous high bidder's mark, and was sitting at $9.87 as his CURRENT high bid. Remember, that when HE placed the bid, he did not BID $9.87, he bid $50. So in order to beat his bid you need to go over that amount.
So now comes the more complicated part. At the end of an auction, everybody is putting in last minute bids and say you do the same. Say you bid $10, and then look to see you have been outbid to $10.50. The important part here is that the person who bid $10.50 did not have to do anything. Ebay's bot saw that he has a bid of $50, so ebay took your bid, and increased the high bid accordingly. This concept is important. Because let's go back to your $90 maximum bid. If you bid $90 at the end of the auction and no one else bid anything, then you WIN that auction and your final bid would not be $90, it would be $50.50, or just over the maximum bid that came in or was already in.

So see, the bots don't have an advantage on you other than the fact they are willing to bid more than you.

That's how I won without over spending a lot of the time.

I would factor in pricechart, condition, shipping....etc. Then I would come up with a price of what it would cost and what I thought most would try to pay for it. I'd go over that by a whole 50c. If a seller had multiple items I'd factor in combo-shipping and email the seller before bidding. It's not worth my time or money to sit there for hours watching for games to save a few buck here and there.

If it went over that...good for them but they overspent. I had a few go to crazy amounts for no reason at all. 

I caught one low priced BIN at random. It ended up being a return(lying seller about disc rot) so I don't really look for those anymore. I figure there's a reason those are cheap. 

That's how I do it to. The worst auction I ever had was I was bidding on an "unused" OG gameboy, complete in box. The bid was at $100. With 5 seconds to go I bid $175 and STILL lost it to somebody that bid I don't know how much. In hindsight, I'm actually glad I didn't win that one. That was probably the only time that I really wanted something that I DIDNT win. I'm not even sure it was so-called unused, so I'm betting that the guy that won it probably regrets that he bid over $175 for it. But I don't know. 
In hindsight, I'd rather pay $300 for an ags-001 sealed than an "open box" og gameboy for $200. If I really look, I could find a really nice OG gameboy and spend $60 or less for it.

Edited: 06/24/2019 at 03:36 PM by 14u2ponder

Jun 24 at 3:35:13 PM
14u2ponder (1)

< Crack Trooper >

Let them have that shit.

Relative to ebay prices are irrelevant. If you are going to be a dirty reseller, at least make money. If you want to buy things at market value because “its cheaper than ebay prices”, it seems like nonsense. Im not going to tell people how to spend their time, but I will for sure make fun of them for it!

I'm not buying anything on ebay to resell, but I have bought items on ebay that I've made money on reselling. If you are going to flip games usuing ebay, it's probably best to scour the "lots", most people that don't know the prices of games throw their entire collection up on ebay, so if you use search terms to find those lots you could find a rare game and buy it with a lot. I almost bought jimmy connors tennis at a gameshop for $3, until some dude that worked their got wise and looked it up. In hindsight I should have masked that purchase with another game or two so they wouldn't be wise to it, but I got greedy.

Edited: 06/24/2019 at 03:37 PM by 14u2ponder

Jun 24 at 5:10:26 PM
Maertens29 (61)
< Lolo Lord >
Saskatchewan

Let them have that shit.

You guys are being to stereotypical with how you see it. It takes seconds to refresh eBay, and it can be done literally anywhere. Who uses a computer to search ebay!? I assume close to no one. The effort is very minimal and once your get good at it the payoff can be immense.

I'm looking for a mint, factory sealed Dragon Ball Advanced for gameboy advance, let me know!

Jun 24 at 5:22:47 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: Maertens29

Let them have that shit.

You guys are being to stereotypical with how you see it. It takes seconds to refresh eBay, and it can be done literally anywhere. Who uses a computer to search ebay!? I assume close to no one. The effort is very minimal and once your get good at it the payoff can be immense.

Buying is easy. Listing, packing and selling stuff is whats time consuming. 

www.videogamesage.com...

Jun 24 at 6:40:26 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: Woobie

I know ebay used to be you put a maximum bid and thats what it would jump to (regardless of what others put), but doesnt really work like that now (or for a while)
When? I’ve been using ebay since before paypal and I don’t remember ever seeing it work like that. Are you sure it wasn’t just displaying your max bid FYI?

Jun 24 at 6:57:45 PM
coffeewithmrsaturn (366)
(Chris ) < Bowser >
California
Is this thread about auction sniping or BIN sniping? I feel like there are 2 different conversations happening here.

Have any GBA NFR games with back stickers for sale or trade?  See my want list below :)
My WTB: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."  --Upton Sinclair

Jun 24 at 6:59:33 PM
ZombieGuyGeezus (110)
(Kyle aka Zombieguygeezus ) < Master Higgins >
Pennsylvania
If all a person cares about is the price, they won't be here long. Like, look at retro game prices over the past 5-10 years. You'd be better off buying market value and holding than taking your sweet I'm combing and scheming on the perfect deal.

If you don't have a lot of expendable income, maybe try collecting something else besides 30 year old piece of cardboard because the cost of finding a nice one is just accurately reflected in their current prices.

Also, unless you're paying a dollar for a $50 game, no one is impressed by your ability to comb through 200+ eBay listings for 4 weeks to save $20. It's just time value of money. Just work an extra shift and buy a handful of games w your next check?

VideoGameSage.com

Jun 24 at 7:54:15 PM
Woobie (20)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Originally posted by: gunpei

I know ebay used to be you put a maximum bid and thats what it would jump to (regardless of what others put), but doesnt really work like that now (or for a while)
When? I've been using ebay since before paypal and I don't remember ever seeing it work like that. Are you sure it wasn't just displaying your max bid FYI?

I could be remembering it wrong but I seem to recall it being that way when I first used eBay (late 90-early 2000). Should not of stated it so definitely (I know vs I remember). Maybe I just remember it showing your max bid (and not it actually being at your max)

Jun 24 at 8:40:58 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >

Originally posted by: gunpei

When? I've been using ebay since before paypal and I don't remember ever seeing it work like that. Are you sure it wasn't just displaying your max bid FYI?

I could be remembering it wrong but I seem to recall it being that way when I first used eBay (late 90-early 2000). Should not of stated it so definitely (I know vs I remember). Maybe I just remember it showing your max bid (and not it actually being at your max)
It seems strange to do it that way. I guess whether it was or not, shall be a mystery for the ages  

Jun 24 at 8:42:05 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Originally posted by: coffeewithmrsaturn

Is this thread about auction sniping or BIN sniping? I feel like there are 2 different conversations happening here.

I agree. The OP seems to be about BINs.

Jun 25 at 5:33:00 AM
goldenpp72 (77)
< Meka Chicken >
United States
I use sniping tools for when i'll be asleep or at work. I used to lose a lot of sleep or stuff i'd want because life is a thing. I've never heard of buy it now snipers though, how do you even know what you're getting without looking at it first?

My list of games and hardware i'd like to find
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

My topic for selling and trading games
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&...

Jun 27 at 9:09:18 PM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia

(That actually made no sense so I'll basically disregard the "you're not paying the maximum" comment because you clearly are/HAVE to pay the max to beat a bot)

Hey bud... they're called "tools" for a reason. And people utilize bots to work for them when they don't want to/can't. 

So there's a big "advantage".... the fact that it's a self reliant program and not some dude sitting at his computer.

Back in the day you had to rely on being at home, wondering who else out there in the world was looking at that item and ALSO able to be home to bid on it. It was like the wild west.... and it used to be exciting. 

Now everyone has computer programs doing the "work" for them. That's a huge advantage, haha. 

Bots take the fun out of it.

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Edited: 06/27/2019 at 09:13 PM by AirVillain

Jun 27 at 10:09:07 PM
Archon 1981 (20)
(Stephan Reese) < Meka Chicken >
California
I'm old fashioned and I like the rush of the clock. I put my own bids in manually. GET OFF MY LAWN!

Listen on Sound Cloud: https://soundcloud.com/collectors...
Listen on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podca...
Find me on Instagram! https://www.instagram.com/archon1...

Jun 27 at 10:10:17 PM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
Originally posted by: Archon 1981

I'm old fashioned and I like the rush of the clock. I put my own bids in manually. GET OFF MY LAWN!

Manual bids ftw

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e