Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Complete list of European exclusives for the original Game Boy? Additions/corrections welcomed

Sep 25, 2014 at 10:23:46 PM
bronzeshield (44)
(P. ) < Lolo Lord >
New York
As the subject says, is this a complete list of European exclusives for the original (monochrome) Game Boy? Note that monochrome-compatible GBC titles are not included.

Adventures of Lolo
Alien Olympics
Asterix
Asterix & Obelix
Battle of Olympus, The
Beethoven: The Ultimate Canine Caper (one US copy known to exist, maybe a pre-release?)
Blues Brothers Jukebox Adventures, The
Bomb Jack
Boulder Dash
Bust-A-Move 3 DX
Castle Quest
Choplifter III
Cool Hand
Dropzone
FIFA '98: The Road to the World Cup
Fire Fighter
Football International
Game Boy Gallery
Hammerin' Harry
Hugo 2
Jelly Boy
King of Fighters: Heat of Battle
Lawnmower Man
Lemmings 2: Tribes
Lingo
Little Indian in Big City / Un indien dans la ville
Lucky Luke
Lucle
Magnetic Soccer
Matthias Sammer Soccer
Maus, Die
Max
Micro Machines 2: Turbo Tournament
Monster Max
Montezuma's Return (non-GBC version)
Mr. Nutz
On the Tiles
Othello
Ottifanten (Otto's): Baby Bruno's Albtraum
Out to Lunch
Palamedes
Parasol Stars
Parodius
Pinball Deluxe (this is apparently Pinball Dreams + Pinball Fantasies; remove?)
Pinball Mania
Pocket Bomberman (non-GBC version)
Pop'n Twin Bee
Populous
R-Type II
Reservoir Rat
Rodland
Sea Battle (aka Bataille Navale (France), Schiffe Versenken (Germany))
Sensible Soccer: European Champions
Smurfs Nightmare, The (non-GBC version)
Smurfs Travel Around the World, The
Spirou
Splitz
StarHawk
Sunsoft Grand Prix
Super James Pond
Super Kick Off
Tintin in Tibet
Tintin: Le Temple du Soleil (aka Tim: der Sonnentempel)
Tip Off
Trip World
V-Rally
Waterworld
World Beach Volley
World Cup USA '94
Worms

Some notes on games that were omitted intentionally because they have non-obvious US versions:

Agro Soar = We're Back (US) (same story with Bamse and Baby T-Rex)
Garfield Labyrinth = The Real Ghostbusters (US) = Mickey Mouse IV (JP)
Hugo = Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle 2 (US)
Legend of Prince Valiant = Kingdom Crusade (US)
Mickey Mouse = Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle (US)
McDonaldland = Spot: The Cool Adventure (US)
Pop Up = Cool Ball (US)
Yannick Noah Tennis = Jimmy Connors Tennis (US)

I've read a claim that Gift was released for monochrome GB, but that seems very hard to believe.

To give credit where credit is due, this is based on an old post by mikeetler at Digital Press, plus information from other threads like this one at NA. If there's a newer and more accurate list that someone's already compiled, feel free to post a link.

EDIT: Edited to remove Legend of Prince Valiant, which is the same as Kingdom Crusade. I've also deleted European Super League, FA Premier League Stars 2001, and Thunderbirds as I'm dubious about their existence as monochrome GB games.

EDIT #2: Edited again to delete the separate reference to Bataille Navale -- it's just Sea Battle -- and to add Bust-A-Move 3 DX and World Cup USA '94, courtesy of Splain (whose info seems better than mine!).

Edited: 01/03/2018 at 08:07 PM by bronzeshield

Sep 26, 2014 at 8:30:07 AM
Celtic (3)
< Crack Trooper >
Hey,

I think your missing a few gameboy exclusives. Lingo, Lucle and Brainbender. There could be more!

Sep 26, 2014 at 9:03:15 AM
DreamTR (163)
(Jason Wilson) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
Brain Bender came out in the US I thought.

R-Type II and World Beach Volley are not on the list (though not sure what World Beach VOlley equivalent is if any)

Also, is there any proof Beethoven came out for Game Boy in Europe? I had this problem with World Cup Striker by Elite for a bit.

-------------------------
www.gamegalaxyarcade.com...

Sep 26, 2014 at 9:06:37 AM
DreamTR (163)
Tennessee
Never mind, I see that Beethoven did come out in Europe

Sep 26, 2014 at 12:43:32 PM
bronzeshield (44)
(P. ) < Lolo Lord >
New York
Thanks for the additions! I'll add them presently (except Brainbender).

I remember doing research into Lingo, but I don't recall what prompted the research or what I found, except that it was an adaptation of a French show called Motus.
Originally posted by: DreamTR

R-Type II and World Beach Volley are not on the list (though not sure what World Beach VOlley equivalent is if any)
Was it scheduled for US release by Taito as "Beach Volley", but then canceled? That's what one page I read indicated, anyway.

Edited: 09/26/2014 at 12:45 PM by bronzeshield

Sep 27, 2014 at 6:29:30 PM
DreamTR (163)
Tennessee
Yes it was scheduled for release and did not happen.

Sep 30, 2014 at 10:27:57 PM
The Spoony Bard (1)
< Cherub >
Ontario
I have a copy of Tim Der sonentemple, which is a German labelled, but multi-language Tintin game based on the Prisoners of the Sun comic. Do you know anything about this? Pretty sure it didn't see NA release. It's not on your list. I have little to no experience with Gb collecting but maybe this info is useful?

Oct 7, 2014 at 3:38:19 PM
bronzeshield (44)
(P. ) < Lolo Lord >
New York
Originally posted by: The Spoony Bard

I have a copy of Tim Der sonentemple, which is a German labelled, but multi-language Tintin game based on the Prisoners of the Sun comic. Do you know anything about this? Pretty sure it didn't see NA release. It's not on your list. 
Hey, thanks for the info, but I'm pretty sure that's just the German version of Tintin in Tibet (which is already on the list).

Oct 7, 2014 at 3:41:54 PM
The Spoony Bard (1)
< Cherub >
Ontario
Originally posted by: bronzeshield

I have a copy of Tim Der sonentemple, which is a German labelled, but multi-language Tintin game based on the Prisoners of the Sun comic. Do you know anything about this? Pretty sure it didn't see NA release. It's not on your list. 
Hey, thanks for the info, but I'm pretty sure that's just the German version of Tintin in Tibet (which is already on the list).

Nope. It's not anything like Tintin in Tibet. Sorry to be obstinate but I'm a huge fan of Tintin and the comics. This is an entirely different game based on an entirely different volume of the series of books.

Oct 7, 2014 at 3:49:47 PM
The Spoony Bard (1)
< Cherub >
Ontario
Here, there's a Wikipedia page for it, although it doesn't say which regions it was or was not released in. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pr...)

However, it might be the case that it's not EXCLUSIVE to Europe.

Oct 7, 2014 at 3:49:54 PM
bronzeshield (44)
(P. ) < Lolo Lord >
New York

Nope. It's not anything like Tintin in Tibet. Sorry to be obstinate but I'm a huge fan of Tintin and the comics. This is an entirely different game based on an entirely different volume of the series of books.
Hey, being obstinate is appropriate if I'm wrong! A quick Google seemed to indicate it was Tintin in Tibet, but apparently that's incorrect. Any more information you have -- gameplay videos, etc. -- would be welcome. Is this a German exclusive?

EDIT: OK, the (very incomplete) NintendoAge database has this as "Tintin: Prisoners of the Sun" on the Game Boy Color and SNES, and "Tintin: Le Temple du Soleil" (French) on the monochrome Game Boy.

"Tim in der Sonnentempel" (German) is clearly the same game as "Tintin: Le Temple du Soleil". So unless there's a US version (reskinned or otherwise) I'm overlooking, I guess that does indeed need to be added!

Edited: 10/07/2014 at 03:58 PM by bronzeshield

Oct 7, 2014 at 4:19:09 PM
The Spoony Bard (1)
< Cherub >
Ontario
That's the same information I basically just found. I very much doubt there was a stateside release, as Tintin is much less popular in the US than Europe. I found a gameplay video on YouTube. By the way, it's a really fun little game

Oct 7, 2014 at 5:14:47 PM
bronzeshield (44)
(P. ) < Lolo Lord >
New York

That's the same information I basically just found. I very much doubt there was a stateside release, as Tintin is much less popular in the US than Europe. I found a gameplay video on YouTube. By the way, it's a really fun little game

Cool, thanks for that. I don't see any evidence that it was released as a monochrome title under the "Tintin: Prisoners of the Sun" title -- I can't find any cart label pictures with that title, anyway -- and it looks like the Tintin: Le Temple du Soleil ROM includes English and (surprisingly?) German options, despite the fact that the title screen is in French. So I'll use the Tintin: Le Temple du Soleil title in the main list.

Edited: 10/07/2014 at 05:24 PM by bronzeshield

Oct 7, 2014 at 8:54:19 PM
The Spoony Bard (1)
< Cherub >
Ontario
Originally posted by: bronzeshield

Super cool! Glad I could help with the list!

Cool, thanks for that. I don't see any evidence that it was released as a monochrome title under the "Tintin: Prisoners of the Sun" title -- I can't find any cart label pictures with that title, anyway -- and it looks like the Tintin: Le Temple du Soleil ROM includes English and (surprisingly?) German options, despite the fact that the title screen is in French. So I'll use the Tintin: Le Temple du Soleil title in the main list.