Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Prototype Easter Egg Hunt finding potential protos among carts with no labels

Jan 8, 2017 at 2:42:25 PM
Hoddy Krishnuh (48)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< El Ripper >
Nevada
As our friend CloudGamerX here has shown us, friends, is that you never know when a prototype could show up. I was thinking, should we attempt to scour eBay for various label-less cartridges for any system and hope that there is a prototype among them? It's taking a shot in the dark, but it could pull up some results. As we know, EEPROMs need not always be exposed for there to be a development board inside. There have even been instances of color labels being printed for review copies as is to be seen with Drac's Night Out on NES. Then, you may occasionally find one bearing a black and white label with the title image, such as with Zero Tolerance for Sega Genesis. Should we go forward with this by posting links in this thread to give people the opporunity to investigate them?

-------------------------
Govinda jaya jaya, Gopala jaya jaya. Blessed Krishna, save us!

Edited: 01/08/2017 at 02:44 PM by Hoddy Krishnuh

Jan 8, 2017 at 3:08:22 PM
CZroe (31)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia

A couple other copies of Xexyz like that have been found.

Edited: 01/08/2017 at 03:10 PM by CZroe

Jan 9, 2017 at 5:45:32 AM
CloudGamerX (30)

< Eggplant Wizard >
You have to be careful. I only noticed it was a proto based off comparing it to other Taito protos and official retail PCB scans. For example, being a late release Taito game, it should not have all the edge connector pins, but the pictures showed the cart did.

Jan 10, 2017 at 8:11:08 AM
CZroe (31)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia
What the heck? I had an in-depth posts about labels and soldered versus sockets in my post above and it's all just gone.  

I recall pointing out that socketed ROMs are more likely to be different from retail because soldered in ROMs are necessary for review cartridges to fit properly in a normal NES (for 3rd-party review of a final or near-final version). My point with Xexyz protos was that they sometimes do have graphic labels.

Edited: 01/10/2017 at 08:12 AM by CZroe