Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NES connector v2

Oct 9, 2017 at 1:56:57 PM
Tsurugi_Takuma (0)
(Nicklas ) < Little Mac >
Sweden
Originally posted by: Tulpa

Originally posted by: CMR

Any chance I can get one for free since I bought an apparently incomplete system?
It costs a penny and three bucks shipping. IMO it's reasonable.

Seven bucks for us Swedes at least, and our postal service will probably add some extra charge seeing this is from an non EU country.
Then some waiting for the USB brace and the same charges all over...
Sadly none of the parts were available when I ordered the wireless game pads, that was an additional $25 shipping.
I’m just a bit sad that all that couldn’t be sent in 1 shipment.
But at least the shipping is much faster then from CashInCulture, 1 month and still waiting for Haunted: Halloween 85+86 😂

Oct 9, 2017 at 5:07:26 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: Tsurugi_Takuma

Any chance I can get one for free since I bought an apparently incomplete system?

Seven bucks for us Swedes at least, and our postal service will probably add some extra charge seeing this is from an non EU country.
Then some waiting for the USB brace and the same charges all over...
Sadly none of the parts were available when I ordered the wireless game pads, that was an additional $25 shipping.
I’m just a bit sad that all that couldn’t be sent in 1 shipment.
But at least the shipping is much faster then from CashInCulture, 1 month and still waiting for Haunted: Halloween 85+86 😂

That's unfortunate. But I get the sense with an operation as small as RetroUSB, the situation is what it is. They're at the mercy of the factories in China, postage rates, etc.

Oct 9, 2017 at 6:51:14 PM
R.O.B. 2084 (3)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Florida
I was upset when I discovered that my brand new PowerPak was defective and I had to pay for return shipping ($7). It also took a really long time to get back. I decided to go with the PowerPak over the Everdrive to support Brian, since he makes so many great products for the community. The cost of the PowerPak was already more than an Everdrive, and then the extra shipping to return it on top of that kinda sucked.

Now that I have it back, I realize that it's just part of supporting these products. Sure, having to pay another $3.76 for my AVS and $7 for my PowerPak is not ideal, but it's not like I can stroll into Target or Gamestop to buy from another company. I imagine that Brian makes very little money off of this stuff, and mostly does it because he loves the nes. If he had to eat the cost of shipping for every unit, it would probably hurt his business more than it would hurt us as consumers. Just my two cents.

Oct 10, 2017 at 1:02:20 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
I got my connector. It was pretty easy to install. Hardest part was getting the case off, but then Kevtris also noticed that:

The old connector just pops out and the new one pops in no problem.

Oct 10, 2017 at 4:38:45 PM
pyrotek85 (0)
< Crack Trooper >
Pennsylvania
Well I got the new connector and that installed easily enough, but the USB is quite busted now. Was there a way to get that fixed?

Oct 12, 2017 at 12:54:30 AM
Austin (72)
(Austin M) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
Originally posted by: pyrotek85

Well I got the new connector and that installed easily enough, but the USB is quite busted now. Was there a way to get that fixed?

Reach out to the Retro USB support email. Mine snapped early in the year, they fixed it. Hopefully they can do the same for whatever issue yours has.

-------------------------
| gameplay and talk |

Oct 12, 2017 at 3:47:06 PM
pyrotek85 (0)
< Crack Trooper >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Austin

Originally posted by: pyrotek85

Reach out to the Retro USB support email. Mine snapped early in the year, they fixed it. Hopefully they can do the same for whatever issue yours has.

I went ahead and sent them an email like you said. Hopefully it won't take too long to get it fixed. It still works if the jack is pressed down onto the board, not completely snapped off, but I don't see a good way of soldering it myself given my limited skills.

Oct 13, 2017 at 3:14:13 PM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
Oh hey, mines from August 2016, I guess I need this. I don't think I've had issues yet. Also with regards to the 3D printed USB brace, I'd love any info. Is there a picture of something that like so it can be copied at least?

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Oct 13, 2017 at 3:50:00 PM
daillest (225)
(Joe ) < Lolo Lord >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: quiet451

Originally posted by: alpenanews0506

Confused why people continue to make excuses for this thing? It was promised to work with every game out of the box period. It didn't. A fix was found and now people have to do a manual MOD and pay for an additional part to meet that promise? The system was not cheap to start with and now an additional nickel and dime correction cost? Just seems odd to me. Especially when people are a little upset about the situation and others immediately attack them for feeling that way.
I just want to say that I totally agree with everything you are saying.  It's frustrating.

You guys should be more supportive of Brian’s project and not complain about $3 shipping. He is making good on the replacement as promised. I’m sure he lost money on having to provide the parts twice. It is also standard to pay shipping at least one way when dealing with warranty issues. 

My Wanted to Buy/Trade Thread
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&th...

My Ebay Listings
http://www.ebay.com/sch/daillest/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&a...

Oct 13, 2017 at 6:48:27 PM
avlon (2)
< Crack Trooper >
New York
Just installed my Version 2 connector. First, I tried it without the case mod, and it was a no-go with the green strip games.

So, I took it apart again, and performed the pain-in-the-ass case mod. Now green strip games work, so kudos for that.

For $175+ tax + shipping... etc, I can see why some folks would be frustrated. Especially those who are not comfortable in opening electronics.

I do notice that when games boot up, there is a very, very faint background buzz. It's not in the main menu, only when a game starts.

Any one else have that issue?

Check out my Youtube Channel @ https://goo.gl/KuSvJc !! Thank you! 

Oct 13, 2017 at 8:56:58 PM
CMR (4)
< El Ripper >
United States
Originally posted by: daillest

Confused why people continue to make excuses for this thing? It was promised to work with every game out of the box period. It didn't. A fix was found and now people have to do a manual MOD and pay for an additional part to meet that promise? The system was not cheap to start with and now an additional nickel and dime correction cost? Just seems odd to me. Especially when people are a little upset about the situation and others immediately attack them for feeling that way.
I just want to say that I totally agree with everything you are saying.  It's frustrating.

You guys should be more supportive of Brian’s project and not complain about $3 shipping. He is making good on the replacement as promised. I’m sure he lost money on having to provide the parts twice. It is also standard to pay shipping at least one way when dealing with warranty issues. 

Don't beta testers usually get stuff for free, though.

Edited: 10/13/2017 at 08:57 PM by CMR

Oct 14, 2017 at 12:55:50 AM
quiet451 (45)
(Schlitz Barrelman) < Meka Chicken >
United States

Edited: 10/14/2017 at 01:51 AM by quiet451

Oct 14, 2017 at 9:14:49 PM
KaiserGX (1)
< Crack Trooper >
Arizona
Is there anyway I can return this, I bought this like in October of 2016. Since I guess all of my games are green strip I wasn't able to use the damn thing and it's been over a year now and I just had the AVS collecting dust and not I have to open and mod my system and order another part. I know this is a small operation and this whole thing was hard to set up but I'm still a customer that is honestly a bit frustrated.

Check out my gaming/drawing channel over at https://www.youtube.com/c/KaiserGX, thanks!

Oct 14, 2017 at 11:16:22 PM
TheCavalry (11)

< Crack Trooper >
Utah
Originally posted by: KaiserGX

Is there anyway I can return this, I bought this like in October of 2016. Since I guess all of my games are green strip I wasn't able to use the damn thing and it's been over a year now and I just had the AVS collecting dust and not I have to open and mod my system and order another part. I know this is a small operation and this whole thing was hard to set up but I'm still a customer that is honestly a bit frustrated.

You've owned it for over a year now, get over it. Get an everdrive/powerpak or get more games or sell your avs.

It must be the end of the world to have to do a little maintenance/modification on your retro game systems/cartridges once in a while.

Better buck up and get used to it because eventually all of this stuff will need modification/maintenance to work.

Edited: 10/14/2017 at 11:17 PM by TheCavalry

Oct 15, 2017 at 10:07:44 AM
CZroe (31)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia
I've clicked this thread a couple times from the Latest Posts page thinking that it was about revised NES connectors for NES.  

Edited: 10/15/2017 at 10:41 AM by CZroe

Oct 15, 2017 at 10:29:45 AM
CZroe (31)
Georgia

There could be something else wrong in which case you probably should make a warranty claim. It's very unlikely that all your games are green strip!

If you're just having trouble doing the mod, send me your top shell and cover return shipping and I'll do it clean for nothing.

Edited: 10/15/2017 at 10:39 AM by CZroe

Oct 15, 2017 at 11:16:33 AM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia

Doubt all your games all green strip, unless you only own 2 or 3 games. Are you sure you are pushing the games in all the way? And are they clean?

If you want to find out about returning it, you will want to email support for help.

Oct 15, 2017 at 12:29:30 PM
CZroe (31)
Georgia
Originally posted by: Mog

Doubt all your games all green strip, unless you only own 2 or 3 games. Are you sure you are pushing the games in all the way? And are they clean?

If you want to find out about returning it, you will want to email support for help.

Even then, they are so uncommon that if your only 3 games happen to be green-strip then that's, like, lottery-winning odds.

Edited: 10/15/2017 at 12:30 PM by CZroe

Oct 15, 2017 at 12:44:09 PM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia

Originally posted by: daillest

Don't beta testers usually get stuff for free, though.

Well Nintendo bears some blame for the variable cartridge pin length. I don't think any of their other systems had that issue.

I've encountered NES games with pins so short they wouldnt work on a real NES.

Edited: 10/15/2017 at 12:44 PM by Ichinisan

Oct 15, 2017 at 1:20:50 PM
CZroe (31)
Georgia

Nickels and dimes are an order of magnitude more than a penny, plus he's losing money where that phrase refers to someone making small profits. Hyperbole?

You may be shocked, SHOCKED, to know that the original NES had connector issues too. Nintendo never sent me a replacement or a free cleaning kit.

Frustrating? Sure. Unprecedented? No. So few games even have the short pins that I'm amazed we don't just call those games "defective" and move on. Myself? I'm impressed with the resolution. I have bigger issues with the miniUSB port fragility issues, which I would have seen coming a mile away if I were helping with the design. It's still a million times better than most of what I see out there.

Oct 15, 2017 at 9:21:31 PM
avlon (2)
< Crack Trooper >
New York
A couple of things that I would like to address. There seems to be some serious cognitive dissonance in this thread.

A) A flaw is a flaw. Every green strip game that I own that didn't work on the AVS or any other clone works just fine on both my top loading and now front loading NES.

B) His losing money is not the concern of the consumer, nor anyone elses business. He isn't running a charity, and neither are the people paying for a product touted as premium and better than the competition.
I think most people have been pretty patient in waiting a year for a replacement part on a problem that shouldn't have existed due to the fact that they know it's a small operation and wanting to support that.

C) The consumer should not be expected to have to open up and case mod a premium product to fix it themselves. I understand the reason why things are this way, and I commend RetroUSB for attempting to fix a major flaw, but I can already see
new problems cropping up with inexperienced and unqualified people damaging their AVS as they attempt to do this fix.

I'd say the best bet is for folks scared to mod their system to contact RetroUSB and check out their options. After all, this market is already small enough, and word of mouth can make or break small businesses. I'd personally request to exchange a Rev 1 for a Rev 2 (as long as the Rev 1 is still in immaculate shape) so that it could be professionally refurbed by RetroUSB themselves and resold.

Oct 15, 2017 at 9:24:15 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: avlon

I do notice that when games boot up, there is a very, very faint background buzz. It's not in the main menu, only when a game starts.

What firmware are you using?

Oct 15, 2017 at 10:16:15 PM
avlon (2)
< Crack Trooper >
New York

I'm using v1.20 (2017-09-15).  

Oct 15, 2017 at 10:54:54 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

What happens when you roll it back to one of the betas or v1.10?

Oct 15, 2017 at 11:47:15 PM
avlon (2)
< Crack Trooper >
New York

What happens when you roll it back to one of the betas or v1.10?

I'll try that tomorrow afternoon and see if it works. Thanks for the idea.