Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Tv only displays black and white via composite or s video connections

Dec 16, 2015 at 8:05:11 PM
leatherrebel5150 (180)
(Kidd ) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
So I picked up a tv from a friend, a Panasonic CRT tv, and it only displays black and white picture when Im hooked up to composite (both front and back ports) and Svideo, the RF displays color fine. I my consoles and switch box on another tv and they were fine. Im hoping there is maybe a setting or something Im unaware of to fix it. Anyone have any ideas?

Dec 17, 2015 at 6:24:12 AM
leatherrebel5150 (180)
(Kidd ) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
So i figured out a solution in case anyone else runs into a similar problem. I connected the compositie into the component and now i get color. So i guess there is something internally wrong with the composite video side but the component works fine

Dec 17, 2015 at 9:34:04 AM
CZroe (31)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia
Composite is a combination of Croma (color) and Luma (luminescence; brightness). S-Video keeps them apart until they are in the TV. It sounds like you are only getting Luma. Some modern TVs actually tell you to connect Composite to one of the Component inputs because it's cheaper to make a combined input!

Edited: 12/17/2015 at 09:35 AM by CZroe

Dec 18, 2015 at 6:30:47 AM
leatherrebel5150 (180)
(Kidd ) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: CZroe

Composite is a combination of Croma (color) and Luma (luminescence; brightness). S-Video keeps them apart until they are in the TV. It sounds like you are only getting Luma. Some modern TVs actually tell you to connect Composite to one of the Component inputs because it's cheaper to make a combined input!

thats the thing its not just one combined input. it has two composite hookups (one in front one in back) and one component. both of the composite inputs only show black and white. but i get color when i plug my composite cables into the component ports. i just didnt expect that to work because i figured why would they have a combined port on this tv when they already had two dedicated ports