Jul 9, 2017 at 1:53:55 PM
romiked2689 (60)
< Lolo Lord >
Maryland
Originally posted by: CZroe

Originally posted by: romiked2689

Originally posted by: CZroe

Going to enjoy watching this one.  

I know I'm splitting hairs but it's a mother prototype seller in my eyes already failed 
Not sure I understand. Like the other Earth Bound NES prototypes, the game boots up as "Earth[new line]Bound." I know that it was called Mother in Japan (I own Mother for the Famicom), but the name was not going to be Mother in the USA.

Names change during localization all the time. It was going to be Earth Bound or EarthBound and the SNES game based on Mother 2 would have been EarthBound 2.

It's precisely this reason that I often incorrectly assume people are talking about the legendary unreleased NES game when they don't specify, like with the guy making a repro who got his thread deleted yesterday.

Search for "NES Earthbound title screen" if you've never seen it. Yes, Nintendo changed the name to "EarthBound Beginnings" when they released it on the Virtual Console but that's just how they distinguished it everywhere else (title screen remained unchanged). 
Yep someone already pointed it out. But like you said at last it'd be a lot easier to separate the two since earthbound 2 never happened. 

-------------------------

Jul 10, 2017 at 7:34:00 PM
Jacob4546 (0)

< Cherub >
Yeah i know the 3333 price is high and weird but Ive had a lot of 3k+ offers and I wanted to start there and see what happens, if it doesnt sell on ebay ill prob just private party it to one of the people that offered 3k+

Jul 10, 2017 at 7:44:01 PM
chromableedstudios (14)
< Meka Chicken >
United States
kinda surprised not to see the silkscreening, are there other protos that have popped up like this?

Jul 11, 2017 at 5:27:25 PM
KingofGames (127)

(Adrian Olivera) < El Ripper >
California
Originally posted by: MrWunderful

3,333.33 starting price? Why not start it at .99c and let the market decide?  Thats a bit ridiculous.

Don't be surprised if no one bids (or it doesn't get paid for). But you never know!

Looks like your concern has already been assuaged. Maybe $3,333.33 wasn't a ridiculous starting price after all..  

Jul 11, 2017 at 5:29:01 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: KingofGames

3,333.33 starting price? Why not start it at .99c and let the market decide?  Thats a bit ridiculous.

Don't be surprised if no one bids (or it doesn't get paid for). But you never know!

Looks like your concern has already been assuaged. Maybe $3,333.33 wasn't a ridiculous starting price after all..  

with Earthbound fans, you never know. They're friggin insane

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Jul 11, 2017 at 5:32:25 PM
KingofGames (127)

California
It's odd to me when folks are so adamant about something that does not have a clear cut market price. The NES Classic doubled in price the moment they announced it was discontinued. Just because it has previously sold for less than $3,000 doesn't mean it can't sell for more. Congrats on the find, I hope it provides more than enough for your California move.

Jul 11, 2017 at 6:58:21 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California

We will see once it gets paid for. What things are bid up to means nothing until its paid up. 

I still stand by the fact that a starting price that high for an item that doesnt have a set value is ridiculous, but it isn't my stuff so it doesnt matter.   

www.videogamesage.com...

Jul 11, 2017 at 7:54:05 PM
KingofGames (127)

California

We will see once it gets paid for. What things are bid up to means nothing until its paid up. 

I still stand by the fact that a starting price that high for an item that doesnt have a set value is ridiculous, but it isn't my stuff so it doesnt matter.   

I don't believe your opinion qualifies as fact. Can I stand by the fact that a starting price that high for an item that doesn't have a set value is brilliant? The market shifts, a lot. He should do whatever he thinks is right. In an absolute worst case, it doesn't sell. Nothing ridiculous about trying to get top dollar for a sought-after collectible. 

Jul 11, 2017 at 8:03:16 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California

I don't believe your opinion qualifies as fact. Can I stand by the fact that a starting price that high for an item that doesn't have a set value is brilliant? The market shifts, a lot. He should do whatever he thinks is right. In an absolute worst case, it doesn't sell. Nothing ridiculous about trying to get top dollar for a sought-after collectible. 

Thanks for pointing out a context mistake I made

Let me change that because I obviously touched a sensitive nerve with you. 

My OPINION, is that starting an item that high is silly. It doesnt matter though, because if it was started at .99c it would still theoretically hit this amount anyways. This is an internet forum where we are allowed to express our OPINIONS. If YOUR OPINION is that starting items super high is the right way to sell crap on eBay then go for it. 

I never understood why people are so afraid of starting things at $.99. Especially where there is little supporting data, thats the only argument Im trying to make. After I said that the OP put down the fact that he already had $3000 offers which makes more sense as to why he did it. I'm not really sure why you're focusing on the fact that I think starting items high is ridiculous. Because that will never change. 

www.videogamesage.com...

Edited: 07/11/2017 at 08:16 PM by MrWunderful

Jul 11, 2017 at 8:13:56 PM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia

Thanks for pointing out a context mistake I made

My OPINION, is that starting an item that high is silly. It doesnt matter though, because if it was started at .99c it would still theoretically hit this amount anyways. This is an internet forum where we are allowed to express our OPINIONS. If YOUR OPINION is that starting items super high is the right way to sell crap on eBay then go for it. 

I never understood why people are so afraid of starting things at $.99

This x1,000.

It gets more attention and more people add it to watch list when the price is low “just in case.” After a few reminders from eBay, some people might suddenly realize they really want it. Then you might have more people in the final bidding war.

Edited: 07/11/2017 at 08:15 PM by Ichinisan

Jul 11, 2017 at 8:19:35 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: Ichinisan

This x1,000.

It gets more attention and more people add it to watch list when the price is low “just in case.” After a few reminders from eBay, some people might suddenly realize they really want it. Then you might have more people in the final bidding war.

I also added in my edit that the fact that stated he had 3k offers made it make a bit more sense, but I hadn't even thought about the whole bidding war thing and people being more interested because it started low.  WOnder if .99c items get more exposure in eBays algorhythym.

www.videogamesage.com...

Jul 12, 2017 at 6:30:10 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Originally posted by: Jacob4546

Yeah i know the 3333 price is high and weird but Ive had a lot of 3k+ offers and I wanted to start there and see what happens, if it doesnt sell on ebay ill prob just private party it to one of the people that offered 3k+
I'm not sure if you've sold high value stuff, but offers have a way of disappearing when they aren't accepted.  You probably just pissed off the people who made you offers and will have to go crawling back when it doesn't sell.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Jul 12, 2017 at 11:34:20 AM
Jacob4546 (0)

< Cherub >
lol k

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:35:38 PM
KingofGames (127)

California
Originally posted by: jonebone

I'm not sure if you've sold high value stuff, but offers have a way of disappearing when they aren't accepted.  You probably just pissed off the people who made you offers and will have to go crawling back when it doesn't sell.

Crawling back? The item has bids from two different users. Why don't you think it will sell? I get the sense you and MrWunderful are rooting against a sale just you can be right. 

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:42:22 PM
KingofGames (127)

California
Originally posted by: Ichinisan

I never understood why people are so afraid of starting things at $.99

This x1,000.

This item gains nothing from a $.99c starting price. Anyone who is attracted by that isn't looking to spend $3,000 on a cart. If you think a $.99c starting price is the way to go, keep doing so with your listings. It's one thing to offer constructive criticism ("I think the starting bid will push potential bidders away"), and another to declare a listing ridiculous. You can get your message across without talking down to him.

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:54:48 PM
jonebone (554)
Maryland

Crawling back? The item has bids from two different users. Why don't you think it will sell? I get the sense you and MrWunderful are rooting against a sale just you can be right. 

I didn't realize there were bids.  Speaking from experience, I've seen high start items go unsold, relisted at 0.99, then sell higher than the prior start price.  High start price deters bidding and makes people want to want for a cheaper relist.

Of course high start price is relative, and I don't know the value of the proto.  If buyers value it at $5k or $6k, then $3k isn't a high start price at all.  My opinion of it being high simply comes from some of the other valuations in the thread, that is all.

I have no personal stake in the thread and do not care what happens to it either way.

Jul 12, 2017 at 1:01:49 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

This item gains nothing from a $.99c starting price. Anyone who is attracted by that isn't looking to spend $3,000 on a cart.
Plenty of big spenders will bid on a $.99 auction. They'll watch it like a hawk and it'll get more of them in on it. Pretty soon people will get into the groove of "well, it's just a few dollars more ... a few dollars more ... a few dollars more" and it gets into a frenzy. You could set Stadium Events at $.99 and people will bid it up to its market value and beyond. No one's going to get it for a dollar.

$3000 starting price pretty much sets it around that and you'll only get a few people to even look at it, let alone toss a bid.

Jul 12, 2017 at 1:10:15 PM
jonebone (554)
Maryland
Well 0.99 is another topic entirely, but I do agree that 0.99 on this is a bad idea. I would have gone BIN / OBO at a markup, or just counter offered with the two guys privately. Ebay gets 10% here for no reason, if he already had buyers lined up.

0.99 is a great idea if you really need money (fast sale), have little into an expensive item (found a $100 cart for $1), or if you are selling a bunch of like items separately ending at the same time. Then you cause bid wars and can get things to go over value.

But on single listing for an expensive item... no so much. Also opens yourself up to trolls and non-payers. And if you have to relist after a non-pay, results are usually worse than you expected. People are no longer in the heat of the moment and may already be over their impulsive bids.

Jul 12, 2017 at 2:21:32 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California

I don't care about prototypes, and have zero stake in this. I wasnt talking down to anyone, and AFTER i made my initial post more info was brought forth. Why not start it at 4k then? Or 5k? Its doesnt matter to me, I still think high price listings on "unkown" value items are dumb. Im sorry you feel so strongly about my opinion- for the record, you were the one that quoted me. We can just agree to disagree. 

www.videogamesage.com...

Edited: 07/12/2017 at 02:59 PM by MrWunderful

Jul 16, 2017 at 3:50:14 PM
Funkatron (1)

< Little Mac >
Wow upto $11,000!!!!! Never thought it'd go that high. Maybe I should put my Grail on eBay lol

Jul 16, 2017 at 4:56:19 PM
Funkatron (1)

< Little Mac >
Lol as soon as I say that he takes it off and puts it up there for $8,200 obo?????? Fake price driving or what...

Jul 18, 2017 at 2:54:52 PM
KingofGames (127)

California
It sold for $7,150. Pretty good for a yard sale find!

Jul 18, 2017 at 3:31:09 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Funkatron

Lol as soon as I say that he takes it off and puts it up there for $8,200 obo?????? Fake price driving or what...

well no. We don't know if another will pop up, so there's isn't anything to drive up is there? Unless another one gets found or a current owner puts one up

Oh and the bids were trolls. This way makes for an easier sale with less headaches

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Edited: 07/18/2017 at 03:31 PM by Bort License Plate

Jul 19, 2017 at 8:15:19 PM
Jacob4546 (0)

< Cherub >
Sold for 7150. The first time it went for 8200 but the bidder backed out and so did the next in line via second chance offer. I relisted it and was hit up in a couple hours by the 3rd in line who said he still wanted it for his earlier 7150 offer and I accepted. I just dropped it off at the agency thats shipping to him in japan today and I am glad to not have it anymore, to much stress haha. Also the drama that unfolded when I sold it on a few facebook groups was unreal. So many people talking mad shit about me and calling me a fraud/mad I didnt sell it to them instead, this one guy in particualr was convinced I was fake bidding up the price on ebay and he would not let it go. Talking so much shit it was honestly hilarious to me. I shouldnt be suprised that some retro gamers are very childish but it was way over the top with some of them. Im glad its over. Also it went to a real legit Earthbound collector so its in a great home

Edited: 07/19/2017 at 08:32 PM by Jacob4546

Jul 19, 2017 at 8:54:18 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Awesome   congrats on a very nice sale!

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!