Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2013 Weekly Contest Presents: Guerrilla War Contest ends Sunday, 6/23/13 at 10 PM NA time

Jun 21, 2013 at 3:07:30 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

Originally posted by: gutsman004

Edit: To everyone else trying to do what Doug and I did,all I can say is be very patient and move slowly. I can't stress this enough! Charging forward is a lot riskier and it may present more enemies in front of you (and/or behind) than you would have had had you proceeded slowly and cautiously. Also some enemies will change position after a short while,allowing you to do things like possibly rescue a hostage nearby that they may have been guarding or giving you an opportunity to kill them easier. Make sure you destroy all three green helicopters that appear on the bridge on level one. They are easy and big points. (50k each) And lastly,try to hang on to the flame thrower as long as possible. It's an absolutely devastating weapon. It is a huge reason how I made this run....it and proceding very slowly and cautiously.

I'll second the bolded comment. For a "run and gun" shooter, you are better off playing it like Metal Gear and moving forward as slowly as possible to keep from getting overwhelmed by enemies. While I do prefer the flame thrower for level 3 (especially for the boss), it's not exactly a precision weapon and you can take out entire groups of hostages and lose some serious points if you aren't careful. I'd recommend the laser from the sewer level on since it's easier to control when the levels start to get more cramped and crowded.

It is true about the flame thrower,but you can use it with accuracy. You just have to spend some time with it learning the exact range of it. the enemies and hostages always appear in the same spots,so that will work in your favor. One thing that I did find is that the spread weapon (to me) is the most worthless weapon in the game which is kind of funny considering in a lot of shooters it is the absolute best weapon.

Jun 22, 2013 at 12:11:45 AM
rdrunner (35)
(Tom Votava) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina

Ugh, pressing this game is annoying!  So many "cheap" ways to lose points, thanks to a bunch of gimmicky movements from the soliders.  Finally figured out enough ways to kill them though.  First time beating the game without continues too!

I will definitely second (erm, third?) Doug's and gutsman's advice on this game.  SLOW movement is the key.  Also remember to back away every time you advance so that you don't push the screen too far while attacking whatever appears.  You might just trigger too much at once if you're not careful.

-------------------------

Tom Votava
http://rdrunner0077.blogspot.com/

Jun 22, 2013 at 12:24:22 AM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
I like this game very much, but, anybody feels it is kinda long? It has a lot to do with the fact we advance slowly on purpose, but still, I feel it is a bit too long.

Jun 22, 2013 at 2:16:01 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: guillavoie

I like this game very much, but, anybody feels it is kinda long? It has a lot to do with the fact we advance slowly on purpose, but still, I feel it is a bit too long.

I think the game is just about perfect in length. The only thing I think they could have done is combine the last two stages.

Jun 22, 2013 at 2:31:39 AM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
Okay, then that is probably my lack of play time that influence my judgement

Jun 22, 2013 at 2:39:38 AM
Alder (52)
(Tom B.) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Very impressive, Tom.  Man, losing your powerup on the last two stages is brutal.  I died at the very end of the 2nd to last level (right before the giant tank that spits out a ton of rockets) and didn't encounter a single powerup.  Going through that place with your standard gun and grenades is pretty brutal.  Anyway,

I still feel my score was pretty low for how far I got.  

Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of

Jun 22, 2013 at 3:23:00 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
^ Your score still is pretty awesome. I may try another run and shoot for 2 mil,but I'm not sure. I'm
not in first,but I'm pretty happy with my score.

Jun 22, 2013 at 10:04:18 AM
Caleb47 (48)
(Steve S.) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
569,800. Awesome game! Too bad i haven't had really anytime to play it alot longer for this week.

Jun 22, 2013 at 10:25:29 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: rdrunner

Ugh, pressing this game is annoying!  So many "cheap" ways to lose points, thanks to a bunch of gimmicky movements from the soliders.  Finally figured out enough ways to kill them though.  First time beating the game without continues too!

Wow, that's a heck of a score! I'd try to take the lead back, but I'm not sure how I'd find 40,000 more points to get it done. Great job!

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Jun 22, 2013 at 12:22:27 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Originally posted by: guillavoie

I second this.  I've always felt this game is a little long, even when you're not moving slowly on purpose, but I love the game and I discovered it when I first started collecting and have completed it many times.  They probably could have done away with a couple of the levels to make it a tad bit shorter, but at the same time, it makes me wonder if SNK would've only given the player limited continues if the game had been shorter.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Jun 22, 2013 at 12:59:41 PM
Alder (52)
(Tom B.) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
This game is pretty interesting when it comes to the score. Since it doesn't loop, there's only so many points you can get in one run (assuming you don't point rack). Combine this with the fact that the best way to rack up your score, aside from hostages and big points like the ships, is to take out lots of enemy troops. Problem is, you have to be really fast and kill them in time before they run off the screen. But most of the time, this contradicts the best strategy of the game which is to take everything very slowly.

I think the thing to realize is that you don't have to necessarily take each screen slowly, you just need to know when to scroll the screen forward. Also, shooting rockets diagonally with the thing that makes them split up (I think it's the T powerup? Not sure) is a great way to get enemies that leave the screen quickly. There are a few cheap parts in the game such as the waters where the enemies can spawn directly underneath you in two places. For the most part you just need to either remember those spots or stay out of the water when scrolling the screen.

The hardest spot in the entire game, I think, is taking out the 4 turrets before the final boss. Seriously, how do you guys do it? They took like 15 hits each with my gun/grenades. I'm guessing they go down quicker with rockets.

Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of

Jun 22, 2013 at 1:32:52 PM
Dennis Fleaman (8)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(dev 2) < Meka Chicken >
Netherland Antilles
Originally posted by: Alder

This game is pretty interesting when it comes to the score. Since it doesn't loop, there's only so many points you can get in one run (assuming you don't point rack). Combine this with the fact that the best way to rack up your score, aside from hostages and big points like the ships, is to take out lots of enemy troops. Problem is, you have to be really fast and kill them in time before they run off the screen. But most of the time, this contradicts the best strategy of the game which is to take everything very slowly.

I think the thing to realize is that you don't have to necessarily take each screen slowly, you just need to know when to scroll the screen forward. Also, shooting rockets diagonally with the thing that makes them split up (I think it's the T powerup? Not sure) is a great way to get enemies that leave the screen quickly. There are a few cheap parts in the game such as the waters where the enemies can spawn directly underneath you in two places. For the most part you just need to either remember those spots or stay out of the water when scrolling the screen.

The hardest spot in the entire game, I think, is taking out the 4 turrets before the final boss. Seriously, how do you guys do it? They took like 15 hits each with my gun/grenades. I'm guessing they go down quicker with rockets.

If you played the game before i would say: take more risks in the early levels and take it slow later on.

WWW.RETROPLAYER.NL...

Jun 22, 2013 at 2:23:30 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: Alder

What I do is either run in a U pattern from each outside turret and bomb those outer turrets first then work on the inside ones. Or I go to one side and move around just enough to slip and dodge the rockets but not too far out of range. I usually use the U technique though as the other way can be a lot riskier. Either way,they are a big pain...especially if you are having to use just grenades.

Jun 22, 2013 at 10:13:13 PM
EgasKrad (17)
(AJ ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin
Great scores all around this week.

Sadly, I'm officially done now. I ended up making one last run, but I only improved my previous score by 500pts, so I'm not bothering with an update. I'll be at work tomorrow when the deadline passes and I just don't have enough time before then to make another quality run.

Still, I had a lot of fun with the game and I'm glad I got to play it this week. It's probably in my top 25 NES games that I've played now.

Jun 23, 2013 at 8:29:13 AM
Dennis Fleaman (8)
(dev 2) < Meka Chicken >
Netherland Antilles

WWW.RETROPLAYER.NL...

Jun 23, 2013 at 8:32:15 AM
Dennis Fleaman (8)
(dev 2) < Meka Chicken >
Netherland Antilles
1.583.500 Brutal ! I was so close.

WWW.RETROPLAYER.NL...

Jun 23, 2013 at 11:06:54 AM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Jun 23, 2013 at 1:58:10 PM
GibbyVA (32)
(NESCAPADES ) < Meka Chicken >
Virginia
So my freaking game starts getting graphic glitches as I'm going through level two. This was the only chance I had to play this week so rather than risking pressing on, I ate my last two lives in fear of the game completely freezing.

My score was 345,400 but the shit is all garbled so understandable if my score won't count. I hope I can at least get a part point. Sucks because this is actually a game and genre I'm good at.

8-Bit Collection (no dupes) -  NES - 1,245 Famicom - 719  Master System - 255
Latest additions - AO, UXO, O-To-X, Rock Paper Scissors, Enigmacore, Cowlitz Gamers Adventure, Journey: The Game, Khan Games 4in1, Legends of Owlia

Jun 23, 2013 at 4:33:36 PM
Shane (146)
(Excellence of Execution) < King Solomon >
United States
I've never played this game before and it's a lot of fun.    176,600

Jun 23, 2013 at 5:45:39 PM
BenPlusPlus (2)
(Ben Baird) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
First and only attempt, guessing it's a participation point. This is a pretty new game for me, I've played it for maybe an hour lifetime total. Would've loved to try for something higher but heck, my game time has been really low the past couple weeks.

Jun 23, 2013 at 6:13:32 PM
Vectrex28 (130)
(CD-i Kraid) < Master Higgins >
Switzerland
OK, I'm done. I could have done much better but didn't feel so good at the end of the week so I rested a lil' bit.
I could've done MUCH better with it... On with Bad Dudes! (YME BAHD!!!)

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Jun 23, 2013 at 6:49:00 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec

Everything was fine, but I got sleepy near the end of the game and lost lives stupidly. I wanted to give this another go to beat the game, but, well, I couldn't justified the time it takes to complete this game.

Congrats to those that beat it without continue! You guys rock!

Jun 23, 2013 at 7:37:42 PM
link463 (25)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Kansas

Thanks for writing. I apologize for the delay in responding to your email during this busy time of year.
In regard to your email, it is great to hear that you have found a copy of Perfect Dark for the Nintendo 64. Perfect dark was a first person shooter game that was released in May of 2000. I personally enjoyed this game a lot during my mid-teen years since it allows for up to four players to play at one time. All the Perfect Dark cartridges were black.

I hope this information is what you are looking for.

-
Response I received from Nintendo customer support when I asked if they knew any thing about a black Perfect Dark cart.

Edited: 06/23/2013 at 07:39 PM by link463

Jun 23, 2013 at 8:48:59 PM
RetroDave (41)
(Dave T) < El Ripper >
Massachusetts

I found this game to be really hard. But maybe it was because I had to emulate it.

For sale/trade.  Want to trade for.

Jun 23, 2013 at 9:23:52 PM
WickedWonka (97)
(Mike D) < El Ripper >
Texas
Here's mine, beat it twice, best of the two...