Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Super Mario RPG & Super Bomberman 4 Proto help Need help from the Proto Pros

May 20, 2015 at 10:52:42 AM
Beliskner (1)
< Kraid Killer >
Germany
I just received two SNES prototypes and have a few questions regarding them.
First off I only got the giant Super Bomberman 4 prototype to work at the moment. Asked the seller about the SMRPG one as he said it was working perfectly fine so hoping to get a good answer shortly but maybe you guys know what may be the problem as well. I actually do have a suspicion on what might be the problem but I'll get into that later.

Super Bomberman 4:
I already found out some things about this one since I was able to get it to work. I haven't played too much of it yet but it appears to be exactly the same as the japanese released version so far. Then again I've only played a couple levels. Also it's not a PAL version (*sadface*) since I needed an adapter to get it to work. Also there's a chip on the board that says D411A which supposedly is only on NTSC boards. However I don't know if that chip was used for both NTSC and NTSC-J so that would be my first question.
As far as the dip sitches go I only have #2 and #3 turned on as those are the only slots that aren't empty. I'd still like to know if anything would change if I turn on some of the other switches or turn one off. Probably gonna do some experimenting on that later today.

Super Mario RPG:
As I said this one is giving me some trouble. I couldn't get it to work in my PAL SNES regularly. In fact it won't even put out a signal to the TV so again I'm assuming this is either NTSC or NTSC-J (*more sadface*). I tried playing it with my adapter but it didn't work either however my TV did receive a signal this time. My best guess on what the problem may be is the Super FX chip as my adapter doesn't have the expanded slot for those extra pins on the side. Edit: The seller just replied and that is indeed the problem. So I need to mod my console or get a NTSC console -.-.
Also as all the slots are filled I'm completely lost as far as the dip switches go. There are only six switches but therre are eight slots total . I have no clue whatsoever what the correct combination could be.
Also as I'm no expert on prototypes I can't tell just from the board whether or not this is NTSC or NTSC-J. So I need some help with that as well. At least as long as I can't get it to play.

As this post would be pointless without pictures I took some. One thing I do know about prototypes is that using a flash while taking a photo is not recommended which is why the lighting isn't optimal. Also the first pic is a bit shaky. I'm gonna take some more detailed pictures tomorrow when the natural lighting is better.

-------------------------
Looking for a copy of Sega Rally on the N-Gage

Playstation 3 Collection: 999/1???
Philips Videopac Collection: 67/69
Nintendo 64 European (not PAL!) Collection: C 239/239 - I 126/239 - B 94/239
Sega Master System PAL Collection (CB): 166/269
Sega Dreamcast PAL Collection: 52/216

Edited: 05/20/2015 at 11:31 AM by Beliskner

May 20, 2015 at 12:40:40 PM
CD2193 (6)

< Meka Chicken >
Texas
As far as dip switches on the Bomberman go, I just asked about switch function the other day and JLukas replied with what each one does, so look a couple threads down.

If the game works, though, you aren't going to access anything new by messing with them.

May 20, 2015 at 12:59:30 PM
Beliskner (1)
< Kraid Killer >
Germany
Originally posted by: CD2193

As far as dip switches on the Bomberman go, I just asked about switch function the other day and JLukas replied with what each one does, so look a couple threads down.

If the game works, though, you aren't going to access anything new by messing with them.

I see. Thanks for the info .

Also i just messaged back and forth with the seller regarding the SMRPG board. A little bit of a buzz kill as the EPROMS on the board are from the guy who did the german fantranslation. To be fair it's probably the most common german homebrew / hack alongside Secret of Mana 2 but sadly not official. However the board itself is an original.
Also he told me he got the Super Bomberman 4 board from a guy in the USA who supposedly was one of the original programmers. Of course that's not saying too much but there's always a chance this is a unreleased North American Version

Looking for a copy of Sega Rally on the N-Gage

Playstation 3 Collection: 999/1???
Philips Videopac Collection: 67/69
Nintendo 64 European (not PAL!) Collection: C 239/239 - I 126/239 - B 94/239
Sega Master System PAL Collection (CB): 166/269
Sega Dreamcast PAL Collection: 52/216

Jul 28, 2016 at 5:43:22 PM
Double_Dan_Gaming (32)
(D C) < Eggplant Wizard >
Michigan
If it was a Mario RPG proto board, then the expansion chip would be the SA-1, not the SuperFX chip - Mario RPG doesn't make use of the SuperFX. Are you saying that you have a SuperFX Proto board? That's still pretty excellent.

Also, if you need a passthrough cart, you'd be better off using the Pro Action Replay by Datel, as that does indeed contact all the pins on the cart to be played (you have to use another game from the region you want plugged into the back, which does not have, nor need, the expansion pins).  I have an apparently rare English version, but I believe that German ones are a lot more common.

There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.  And stupid people don't ask questions.

Edited: 07/28/2016 at 05:50 PM by Double_Dan_Gaming

Jul 29, 2016 at 2:53:36 AM
AlveinHero (0)
(Roko Yuki Hime) < Eggplant Wizard >
Florida
Is this true?

Edited: 07/29/2016 at 02:54 AM by AlveinHero

Jul 30, 2016 at 12:28:05 AM
steven78 (118)
(--- ) < Kraid Killer >
Netherlands
just to be shure buy a super famicom or a ntsc console. working with converters sucks and you just never realy shure.

to check: are all the chips the right way as the should be (not the stickers)

i had a snes proto once that only worked if you turned the console on and rested it. btw the left board is pretty rare on it self.

3195A ROCKS  & Wanted List

Aug 17, 2016 at 4:37:42 AM
Pikkon (8)
(スーパーファミコンコレクター ) < Meka Chicken >
Florida
If your handy with a soldering iron you could mod your pal snes with a super cic chip.