Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2013 Weekly Contest Presents: Q-Bert Contest ends Sunday, 9/1/13 at 10 PM NA time

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:45:21 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: mattyjmania

WHOA!
nice scoring gutsman!

I feel unless there is a late arriver to this contest, who is a Qbert master, you and krunch will be battling for that #1 spot

you both are putting up awesome scores

im just happy if im in the top 10, as i couldnt even play Qbert a week ago...now i can say that i can

I contribute this score to me logging tons of hours on the arcade as a kid. As Krunch said,definitely be patient and don't panic if you lose a life early. Also,try to use all the discs on a particular level to kill Coily. Not using them gives you 50 points per (I think) at the end of the round while using them to kill Coily nets you 500 points per. Huge difference! And remember that the green ball that freezes the playfield is definitely your friend as it can help you fix any problems you may be having on that level. Plus enemies can't hurt you while frozen even if you touch them.

Aug 30, 2013 at 1:25:36 PM
Logo1285 (14)
(Christopher Loggia) < Kraid Killer >
Florida
I've put in a few more sessions but still can't beat my previous score. This is one of those games that I enjoy playing over and over because I do feel I am getting better each time.

-------------------------

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:32:12 PM
Elkovsky (0)
(Super Boy Alan) < Eggplant Wizard >
Tennessee

Originally posted by: rdrunner

ok...i am playing this game too much...screen keeps "flipping" on me, and gives the appearance that level is "upside down"

anyone else getting that too?
I've never had this happen to me, but I know that it's a common problem among serious Q*Bert players.  Many people have tried to play the arcade game for the marathon record, but fail because their eyes start seeing the upside down board.  It usually happens around the 24-hour mark.  How much have you been playing, man?

It doesn't happen to everyone.  George Leutz set the arcade marathon record earlier this year.  He scored 37,163,080 points in a game that lasted over 84 hours!  The previous record was 33,273,520 by Rob Gerhardt, set way back in 1983.

it doesnt happen all the time, just some times...i actually start playing better when it happens too?!?!

as far as the George Leutz thing, i saw it live stream when it happened. I watched him break both the high score and the most time marks
Granted i didnt watch the whole thing or anything like that. But i def saw when he broke the score and the hour marks.

Actually, I "broke the news" to NA on that day in the official thread http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?StartRow=1&...

From what I understand, though, the arcade version levels out around 5-2. Not that 37 million isn't an incredible accomplishment, but the second half of the arcade game isn't nearly as manic as the later levels of the NES game. 6-3 and 8-2 can jump off a cliff for all I care.

Kudos, gutsman, on your current score. 5-1 is where things start heating up, since it's possible to put the board in a temporarily unwinnable state if you're not careful.

I just realized that I don't have my screen photos on me. What time zone does NA use? I'll try to upload them Sunday afternoon if I can remember.

-Elkovsky

New blog at pixlbit.com! Old NES reviews still at the old blog.

Edited: 08/30/2013 at 03:34 PM by Elkovsky

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:34:32 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Originally posted by: Elkovsky

Originally posted by: rdrunner

ok...i am playing this game too much...screen keeps "flipping" on me, and gives the appearance that level is "upside down"

I've never had this happen to me, but I know that it's a common problem among serious Q*Bert players.  Many people have tried to play the arcade game for the marathon record, but fail because their eyes start seeing the upside down board.  It usually happens around the 24-hour mark.  How much have you been playing, man?

It doesn't happen to everyone.  George Leutz set the arcade marathon record earlier this year.  He scored 37,163,080 points in a game that lasted over 84 hours!  The previous record was 33,273,520 by Rob Gerhardt, set way back in 1983.

it doesnt happen all the time, just some times...i actually start playing better when it happens too?!?!

as far as the George Leutz thing, i saw it live stream when it happened. I watched him break both the high score and the most time marks
Granted i didnt watch the whole thing or anything like that. But i def saw when he broke the score and the hour marks.

Actually, I "broke the news" to NA on that day in the official thread http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?StartRow=1&...

From what I understand, though, the arcade version levels out around 5-2. Not that 37 million isn't an incredible accomplishment, but it's not nearly as manic as the later levels of the NES game. 6-3 and 8-2 can jump off a cliff for all I care.

I just realized, though, that I don't have my screen photos on me. What time zone does NA use? I'll try to upload them Sunday afternoon if I can remember.

NA uses the Eastern Time zone, and since you live in Tennessee, the contest will end at 9 PM Central Time.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:36:15 PM
Elkovsky (0)
Tennessee
Ah, okay - thanks for letting me know.

I'm actually in the easternmost part of the state, so I'm still just barely EST. It shouldn't make too much of a difference for me, though.

-Elkovsky

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:42:21 PM
RegularGuyGamer (110)
(Kyle aka Zombieguygeezus ) < Master Higgins >
Pennsylvania

It happened to me when I played the other day for a couple hrs in a row lol

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:42:39 PM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania

I'm actually in the easternmost part of the state, so I'm still just barely EST. It shouldn't make too much of a difference for me, though.

if you need to, you can email me your pics and i can upload for you if needed, and if bimmy allows this? that i am not sure of either

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:44:00 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan

if you need to, you can email me your pics and i can upload for you if needed, and if bimmy allows this? that i am not sure of either

This is totally acceptable as long as both people let me know what's going on.

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:48:11 PM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
Thanks bimmy and thanks for taking the time to run these as well

Aug 30, 2013 at 4:30:46 PM
CLAYB1RD (105)
(Clay Myers) < El Ripper >
North Carolina
Score: 87,400

Almost had this run completely ruined by that pink blob when I accidentally paused and then unpaused. I didn't realize how quick the enemy actually drops down in this level and if I was on the other block instead I would have been so screwed.

I absolutely sucked at this game in the beginning of the week to the point where I couldn't even get past the first stage without dying but I took Krunch's advice about being patient and have slowly worked my way up. I'm not sure that much more will be added to this score but I'll give it a couple more tries. Definitely a fun game and quick to get runs in!

Aug 30, 2013 at 4:33:44 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan

Thanks bimmy and thanks for taking the time to run these as well

You're welcome.  It's a blast to run these and see all the awesome scores everyone puts up every week.

Also, got the leaderboard all up to date.  Been on vacation this week and I've had a busy week up until today.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Aug 30, 2013 at 4:48:39 PM
CLAYB1RD (105)
North Carolina
I just realized that my Q Bert is facing the wrong way so I think he might have jumped whenever I was grabbing the controller to pause it again. It was an honest mistake but I don't want anyone to think I am a cheater so if any of y'all feel that my score shouldn't count then I understand and I'll try and get another score up here. Just let me know!

Aug 30, 2013 at 5:14:07 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: CLAYB1RD

I just realized that my Q Bert is facing the wrong way so I think he might have jumped whenever I was grabbing the controller to pause it again. It was an honest mistake but I don't want anyone to think I am a cheater so if any of y'all feel that my score shouldn't count then I understand and I'll try and get another score up here. Just let me know!

You're good man. I need to fire it up tonight. I know my lead is only temporary.

Aug 30, 2013 at 5:19:04 PM
CLAYB1RD (105)
North Carolina
I appreciate it gutsman, I ran it by Bimmy as well and he said I was ok. That run was the first time I made it to level 4 so I didn't want it to be thrown away because of one jump.

Aug 30, 2013 at 7:08:59 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
34,140   ****My Score Does Not Count Toward the Leaderboard****

I need more practice on this game lol.  I decided to keep playing on my last life and I made it to stage 3-1.  Yeah, I don't think I'll advance much further than this with the way stage 3 works.  I highly dislike having to set all the tiles back to their original colors when jumping on a tile changes it back and forth from dark blue to light blue constantly.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Aug 30, 2013 at 8:56:45 PM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
NEW SCore
(deleted the old one...bimmy if this is NOT easier for you, let me know, pm me...figured putting them on at the end might be easiest?)

Aug 31, 2013 at 12:40:09 AM
quiet451 (45)
(Schlitz Barrelman) < Meka Chicken >
United States

I'm at work playing Qbert all night, but I'm not smart enough to beat level 3.  I just hop around until I die.

Edited: 09/01/2013 at 12:07 AM by quiet451

Aug 31, 2013 at 1:42:13 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: quiet451

I'm at work playing Qbert all night, but I'm not smart enough to beat level 3.  I just hop around until I die.

I want your job!

Aug 31, 2013 at 10:37:06 AM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: CLAYB1RD

youre a-okay in my book too

Aug 31, 2013 at 2:08:05 PM
ag1052 (36)
(Alex Guerra) < Meka Chicken >
Texas
Score - 5,880
Sorry for the lame scores I post each week now. Now that school has started again Im teaching during the day and working on my masters at night. I didnt want to quit the game contests cause I figure with my good score from week 1 and with a bunch of participation scores I may be able to still get into one of the levels of the tournament at the end.

Aug 31, 2013 at 4:23:05 PM
sunsetflip84 (0)
(Will Cartier) < Meka Chicken >
Ontario
Score update. I came close to getting into Level 4. I had about 3 lives going into the 3rd level but just blew it. hahah. Lot of fun this week. I think that's about as good as I can do on Q-Bert. Was a good ride! ^>^

"So it is written. So let it be played!"

Check out my youtube gaming channel! Keep up to date on all of my shenanigans! http://www.youtube.com/user/maximpact24?feature=mhee

Aug 31, 2013 at 9:21:26 PM
TWarwick07 (85)
(Kung Fu Master) < King Solomon >
New Jersey

Aug 31, 2013 at 9:31:28 PM
EoTN (9)
(Eskimo Of The Night) < Eggplant Wizard >
Texas

Well, I died so many times from jumping off that I lost count. The screen kept appearing upside down, why on earth would they use an optical illusion for a stage design?!?!

Sep 1, 2013 at 1:56:11 PM
Elkovsky (0)
Tennessee

Well, I did the best I could...

...nah, just kidding. Here's the real screenshot. Sorry the image quality is so dim.

I know things go on an honor system here, but if anyone has any doubts about the validity of my playthrough, go to GameFAQs.com and look up my walkthrough. The information contained therein should be sufficient to help any Q*Bert player improve their score and reach the definitive ending that follows Round 9-4. I managed to pull it off once, but this run only got me to 7-3 despite a strong start (note the number of lives in the first photo - if I'm remembering, I might have actually been at 10 or 11 lives at that point, although the display maxes at 9). The main issue was my failure to follow my own transcriptions of the enemy spawn patterns, which are fixed for each level; knowing where Sams and green balls show up is the key to getting through the NES version because, again, it's so much more manic than the arcade version:

Note, by the way, the good/bad "polarity" issue coming up around the one-minute mark, and the player's use of an odd-numbered spinning disc to restore the board to "good polarity." (See my guide for more details! [/shameless plug]

Anyway, I'll shut up now. If one you wants to keep at it after the contest and go for the win, those of us over at the NES completion thread would be eternally grateful. I don't know if I have the intestinal fortitude to pull it off again.

-Elkovsky

Edited: 09/01/2013 at 01:58 PM by Elkovsky

Sep 1, 2013 at 4:12:24 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Originally posted by: ag1052

Sorry for the lame scores I post each week now. Now that school has started again Im teaching during the day and working on my masters at night. I didnt want to quit the game contests cause I figure with my good score from week 1 and with a bunch of participation scores I may be able to still get into one of the levels of the tournament at the end.

There were several people who made it into the tournament last year who only got the participation point every week.  Playing every week, even if you don't score in the top 10, could easily get you into the tournament.  I advise everyone to submit a score regardless of how good or bad it is because those participation points can go a long way.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!