Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Finally got some SNES Prototypes How should I store / play them?

Dec 9, 2012 at 10:18:17 PM
Zwario (30)
(Carlos Monoz) < Meka Chicken >
California
Hey Folks,

So I've wanted to own a Proto cart for a while, and saw a batch of them on EBay recently, and scooped up a few,

Now these are just the circuit Board with no case

Got them in the mail recently, and popped em in my snes, they play great! Haven't figured out if there are any differences to the released games yet? (WildCATS, and Doom Troopers)

My question for you guys is this: How do you Store / Play your Prototype games?

I took an empty Snes Cart shell and took my time cutting out holes in the back to make room for the huge Eeproms, but after getting it all assembled... It won't fit in my Snes anymore... Too fat!

So even though it looks cool in its cart with chips popping out the back... I can't play it cause it's too fat,

What do you guys do with your protos? I want to play them and not just store them away

Let me know,

Zwario

Dec 9, 2012 at 10:48:18 PM
MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Those ended at great prices, congrats!

First thing I would do is take any tape or stickers that will block light and cover up the EPROM windows. Though not as volatile as some suggest, they will degrade over time and extended UV exposure doesn't help.

For loose pcbs, I put them in antistatic bags and toss them on the shelf.

-------------------------
Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Dec 9, 2012 at 10:58:56 PM
nesman85 (35)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Oregon
I can't believe I forgot to bid on those EWJ2 protos. I know someone on the board was offering $1k for EJ protos.

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:10:47 PM
Zwario (30)
(Carlos Monoz) < Meka Chicken >
California
Yep I wanted those EWJ2 long boards, but couldn't spend the $100, pretty happy with my 2 boards!

Thinking about modding / cutting a chunk out of my snes, so I can just leave em inside a cart

Dec 10, 2012 at 3:22:08 PM
introless (24)
(random guy) < Eggplant Wizard >
California
Yeah, I was offering 1k, but I happen to own a Genesis EWJ2 proto that looked exactly like the one the guy had up so I didn't bother. Plus the SNES protos he had I'm almost positive are the same as the EWJ2 "beta" for SNES that's already on all ROM sites.

Anyone worried they missed anything didn't miss much, really. If anyone wants an EWJ2 proto for $100 I'll gladly sell mine though, probably not gonna make back what I originally spent anyway.

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:52:39 AM
MottZilla (0)
(Mott Zilla) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
Cover the EPROMs if they aren't and properly dump all the cartridges. It's never too early to backup your EPROMs. Should anything ever happen, such as bit-rot or an accident or electrical shock, you'll still have the data and be able to restore it.

Nov 5, 2014 at 11:39:21 PM
Jabexy (0)
< Crack Trooper >
Sweden
Originally posted by: MrMark0673

Those ended at great prices, congrats!

First thing I would do is take any tape or stickers that will block light and cover up the EPROM windows. Though not as volatile as some suggest, they will degrade over time and extended UV exposure doesn't help.

For loose pcbs, I put them in antistatic bags and toss them on the shelf.
Hi, are you only a devoted NES proto collector or are you also interested in SNES protos aswell? Is there a know list of well know serious, devoted SNES proto collectors available here on NA? 
Thanks for your good advice.

/Jabexy