Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"Hiatus Ward" new NES homebrew test, please try it out! MMC3 parallax video posted about a month ago.. This is the game!

May 30, 2012 at 1:33:47 AM
srndwave (0)

(s w) < Cherub >
United States
@mog: Thats really awesome you played through and beat them all!  I'm impressed you found and beat them all so quickly. So the banshee and Miura (the pink haired girl using the razor line) can be beaten in either order.  After the train ride, my goal was to make the game really open-ended.

How did you find the new abilities?

Was summoning the train pretty straightforward?

Were the bosses too easy or too hard?  I was worried the Crazy Subway Man, the Pirate and the Banshee were too hard. 

Were the jumps to get to the Banshee too evil, or a good challenge?

Thats 6 of the 16 boss battles I have planned, although some of the future battles will be rematches.  I'm thinking that for the future Miura rematch she will only give you an item if you beat her only using the razorline.  It's hard, but I managed to do it once.

May 30, 2012 at 10:40:53 AM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
I thought all of the abilities were great. I like the variety of weapons and that there wasn't one main one that was the "best". I was switching back and forth the entire time depending on the enemies around me.

Yeah getting the train was easy, for me anyway. I am not the best judge on how difficult things are.

The Banshee was the only one that gave me some issues, but after a few deaths I figured out a trick and then beat it with out taking any damage.

The jumps were a good challenge.

I really like the game, can't wait to see more of it.

May 30, 2012 at 11:38:10 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: srndwave

@mog: Thats really awesome you played through and beat them all!  I'm impressed you found and beat them all so quickly.

Mog is one mean gamer, it'd take a game of ridiculous difficulty to challenge him haha.

-------------------------
Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Jun 1, 2012 at 8:51:23 AM
albailey (55)
(Al Bailey) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario
I was very impressed by the sloping surfaces.
A good technical accomplishment.

Al

My Gameboy collection  97% complete.          My N64 collection   88% complete

My Gamecube collection  99% complete        My NES collection   97% complete

Jun 3, 2012 at 12:53:04 PM
FAHQALL (3)

(Paul S) < Cherub >
Canada
I'm impressed so far. As HoldinJohnson said, it just needs more polish.

Some of the platforms blend into the objects behind them. I had an enemy jump up through what I thought was a floor on me.

Jun 6, 2012 at 2:48:13 AM
Airrider (0)
(Nils Jutblad) < Crack Trooper >
Sweden
In the beta tester challenge; can you take the pictures AFTER defeating the bosses and is it ok to take a normal pic of your screen?

Jun 6, 2012 at 4:09:02 AM
Airrider (0)
Sweden
Ok i suppose every boss has some dialogue when you beat them. I´m taking pictures of that.

Just beat boss 3. It´s really fun!

Jun 6, 2012 at 1:39:34 PM
Airrider (0)
Sweden
I beat the 6 bosses and took pics! Do i get to be a beta tester now?

Edited: 06/06/2012 at 01:45 PM by Airrider

Jun 16, 2012 at 1:23:26 AM
srndwave (0)

(s w) < Cherub >
United States
Originally posted by: Airrider

I beat the 6 bosses and took pics! Do i get to be a beta tester now?

Airrider: Yes, you are the first to post pics, so you can be my official beta tester.  Hopefully I'll be able to work on it a bit more
in the future. After I make another 5 bosses and associated levels, I'll post a second alpha after you give it a whirl. 

Jun 16, 2012 at 3:23:47 AM
Airrider (0)
Sweden
Thanks a lot!

A noticed a bunch of things that you might wanna know. I beat the bosses 2, 3, 4 and 6 by just mashing the shoot button. On boss 3 i jumped into a projectile making me fly higher and land in the top left corner of the screen. There i could spam shots on him.

Also it´s possible to climb a single wall by walljumping. I don´t know if that should be possible.

In the "Train Pirate" fight i just sat in the left corner and spammed shots.

Boss 2 simply died when i mashed the razor line on him.

Boss 6 did much of the same, but it kinda felt like it should be an easy boss battle.

Boss 1 was very good i think. The Banshee was a nightmare, but it was still a good NES boss-battle.

Like a said, by jumping into an enemy you can get higher up. Sequence break?

And again, thanks! I´m very happy to be a beta tester

Jun 23, 2012 at 11:55:59 PM
Arkonviox (0)
(Johnny de Alba) < Cherub >
California
I played this game and found it very enjoyable, the only thing I don't like about it is how stiff the main character looks when she runs and jumps, I know you're trying to conserve sprite space but you could still manage if you had her arms in a different position while running or jumping, I know the enemies look like that as well but it kinda works better for them. Ninja gaiden runs and doesn't look as stiff and he doesn't animate. Other than that I think a great feature to add would be to be able to skip the dialog, it's annoying when I talk to the same character accidentally and they won't shut up.

Your game is pretty addicting and fun! I love how you pulled off the parallax bg, I just hope you can find more ways to "fake" more stationary objects into it, to create the illusion of a 2 layer background. It's a little obvious the parallax background is actually separate from the main background, but i'll let it go since you got plenty of time to fix that, and even if you don't I still find it cool.

Good luck with cleaning it up, I'd love to see it made into a cartridge, I would for sure buy this game!

Jun 24, 2012 at 5:30:51 PM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
Reminds me a little of Strider... but more of the Arcade Strider, not the NES one. Which to me, is pretty cool! All I can say to this is keep up the great work, man!!

Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Jun 24, 2012 at 9:21:32 PM
thesubcon3 (148)
(Jeffrey Wittenhagen) < King Solomon >
Texas
I'm glad that you plan on continuing work on this....

Check out VGBS Gaming Podcast, all of my books and other nonsense at:
www.hagensalley.com

Get one of my latest books...The Complete SNES - Definitive Edition! 

https://hagens-alley-books.myshopify.com/collections/hagens-...

Games I am looking for...PM me if you got 'em
Obscure Games for the PC-FX, Vectrex, Neo Geo, MSX
NES Homebrew - Lady Frogger, Blade Buster (with save)

Dec 27, 2012 at 5:18:53 PM
fawfulmark2 (0)
(Dion Johnson) < Little Mac >
Washington
Oyo, sorry for the necro,but I just found this game's vid on Youtube today and was gonna play itbut apparently the link is dead. is there anywhere else I can find it?

EDIT: Ok,I managed to find it on NESWORLD.so far I'mliking it, though damn the first boss is hard.

Edited: 01/04/2013 at 02:10 AM by fawfulmark2