Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Can NA beat every Game Boy game in a year? - 2019 USA: 190/497: 38.23% -- PAL: 14/69: 20.29%

Jan 10 at 3:26:10 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Originally posted by: Ferret Oxide

My copy of Race Days arrived today. Is the 4x4 game basically Jeep Jamboree?

It is 100% Jeep Jamboree. So you don't have to beat it to check off Race Days. Or you go ahead and beat it for Jeep Jamboree points.

Jan 10 at 5:54:28 PM
Ferret Oxide (0)
< Crack Trooper >
England
Originally posted by: Splain

My copy of Race Days arrived today. Is the 4x4 game basically Jeep Jamboree?

It is 100% Jeep Jamboree. So you don't have to beat it to check off Race Days. Or you go ahead and beat it for Jeep Jamboree points.

Great. I’ll try to beat both. Between that and Sword of Hope 2, I have a busy few days ahead.

Jan 10 at 6:05:41 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Nice! Yeah dude, someone could get 8 completions with 4 carts if they had Race Days, Centipede/Millipede, Mortal Kombat 1&2, and Asteroids/Missile Command. Or a multicart. Or uh, a flash cart.

Jan 10 at 9:31:15 PM
acromite53 (21)
(Evan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
My local store has a copy of asteroids / missile command. I think I'll pick it up tomorrow and go for that. Love those games. Curious to see how well they translate.

Jan 11 at 4:19:51 PM
Ferret Oxide (0)
< Crack Trooper >
England
So I have 2 of the 4 shards in Sword of Hope 2, and I'm grinding my way through another difficulty spike. I'm eager to beat this before New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe takes over my gaming time, but I'm not sure I'll manage it. It looks like my contributions will be slowing down for a while.

Jan 11 at 6:00:52 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Lol, I hear that. Smash Bros has been a heavy distraction for me. I'll probably be getting SMBUDX as well. But I've always got a GB game going on my phone for waiting in lines etc.

Jan 12 at 4:59:18 AM
Ferret Oxide (0)
< Crack Trooper >
England
Having said that, Dropzone is done!

It's not a bad port from what I can tell. It works well enough on the game boy, and I can see myself returning to it at some point.

My only tip for this is to be patient. Zipping along will get you killed very quickly, so keeping a distance from enemy craft and moving slowly around the map - even at the expense of some of your men - is worth it.

Jan 12 at 10:05:48 PM
acromite53 (21)
(Evan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas

beat missile command. I just ended the game because I was so bored. Not a very good version of missile command. And I love the arcade and Atari versions.

Edited: 01/12/2019 at 10:06 PM by acromite53

Jan 12 at 11:40:49 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Wow, nicely done.

Soooo, last year I played Pinball Dreams and Pinball Fantasies, which are collections of relatively simple (Game Boy simple) pinball tables by Spidersoft. They're not blow-your-socks-off fun, but they're fun. (Some of the tables are better than others though.) Well, turns out that PAL-exclusive Pinball Deluxe is just a collection of all the tables from Dreams and Fantasies. I remember finding that out when I was first making my PAL list, which was actually for the purposes of collecting. I wanted to draw a line between actual exclusives and re-sprites that had USA releases, like Agro Soar or Mystic Quest. I had decided that since Pinball Deluxe wasn't a mirror of any single USA cart, that it was unique enough to be worth collecting as a PAL exclusive. But for this thread, it's essentially no different than the other 2-in-1 carts we discussed above, where the individual games are cleared separately, leaving no actual unique content on the combo cart. So I've removed Pinball Deluxe from the PAL list. Which raises the complete percentage slightly  

Pinball Mania is confirmed unique though. It's another Spidersoft-developed collection of tables, much like Dreams and Fantasies, that just didn't get released in the US.

Throw in Kirby, Gator, and Getaway, and there's a lot of pinball to be played on the Game Boy!

Jan 13 at 9:30:04 PM
Floating Platforms (0)
< Little Mac >
Illinois
Congratulations! That's the highest score I've seen on that game actually.  I had a very tough time with Missle Command last year. It took me several days to crack the 150,000 point mark.  I really need to try the 2 in 1 cart version.  I'm becoming more and more convinced that either the standalone cart I played was slightly different (despite looking like the exact same game) making it harder, or playing on the Super Game Boy and it's slightly increased speed made it more difficult.  Although I can't completely rule out that I'm just very very bad at the game.
I just finally pulled the trigger on the Super Game Boy 2 from Japan which is supposed to fix the speed problem, so I can test that theory at some point.

-------------------------
Collecting every US Original Gameboy game - Currently 237/510
Collecting every non-kids Philips CDi game - Currently 42/126

Catch me on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/floatingpla...

Jan 14 at 12:14:53 AM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Originally posted by: Floating Platforms

Congratulations! That's the highest score I've seen on that game actually.  I had a very tough time with Missle Command last year. It took me several days to crack the 150,000 point mark.  I really need to try the 2 in 1 cart version.  I'm becoming more and more convinced that either the standalone cart I played was slightly different (despite looking like the exact same game) making it harder, or playing on the Super Game Boy and it's slightly increased speed made it more difficult.  Although I can't completely rule out that I'm just very very bad at the game.
I just finally pulled the trigger on the Super Game Boy 2 from Japan which is supposed to fix the speed problem, so I can test that theory at some point.

Hmm. I think I have both, I should try them out and see if I notice a difference. If they're not exactly the same, then I guess they should be tracked separately. We already found that the high scores aren't the same, maybe there's more to it.

Jan 16 at 11:07:52 AM
Floating Platforms (0)
< Little Mac >
Illinois
Desert Strike is completed.

This was great. There's a surprising amount of depth in the controls and menu system giving you all the detailed mission info you can use to complete your missions on the "fly." Almost all of the objectives are to go somewhere and shoot things without running out of fuel or ammo, but it never feels boring. The fuel and ammo parts turn the game into a resource management game, but I found that to be a fun part of the strategy - planning which pick ups to use and when. The main draw backs are 1) I don't know if the different co-pilots mattered in this port. I didn't try them all, but the two I used seemed identical. 2) There's no music during the missions - just the sound effects. 3) The screen size is so small that it's easy to get lost. Luckily the map is a quick button press away, but many times I thought I was going the right direction but I got off track. The maps are also on an isometric view so you can hit edges and think you're at the end, but really you're in leftmost part of the middle. Maybe I have no sense of direction. But yeah, I had a blast with this, especially the last mission where your objectives are hidden until you finish the previous one.

The Super Game Boy adds a camo border and a pretty nasty color palette for what that's worth.

I think the 27 missions in the master list came from the SNES/Genesis version. The Game Boy one only has three campaigns with 5, 6, and 8 missions respectively. From what I saw in gamefaqs, that's one campaign less than the bigger consoles got, which was honestly a bit disappointing. You need to complete all missions in the campaign to get the password.

I also beat Super Mario Land which was already done this year, but I had it scheduled as my 15 game milestone in the "Beat every game" project. So, with that out of the way, I get to try Donkey Kong for the first time. I hear a lot of good things, so I'm excited.

Edited: 01/16/2019 at 11:09 AM by Floating Platforms

Jan 16 at 12:30:39 PM
bronzeshield (44)
(P. ) < Lolo Lord >
New York
^Awesome, Floating Platforms! And acromite53 too. It's great to see these Strike games get beaten for the first time -- the Game Boy ports of popular series so often get overlooked.

Jan 16 at 2:49:36 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Great job! And thanks for the info on the # of missions.

Jan 16 at 4:39:53 PM
bronzeshield (44)
(P. ) < Lolo Lord >
New York
Here's a question re: Qbillion. The game doesn't give a password after every level, but only after levels ending in 0: 10, 20, 30, and so on up to 120. From the start of the game you're allowed to select levels 1-10, and inputting a password also lets you select any level from that group of 10, up to 111-120.

Ergo, you could get the game's ending by just beating levels 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 110, and 120. That's non-trivial, since Level 120 is brutally difficult and I haven't beaten that one or 119 yet.

For my own standards I'm aiming to beat every puzzle, but for this project, I'm not sure that's necessary, since beating levels ending in numbers other than 0 doesn't affect the final outcome at all (AFAIK). Thoughts?

Edited: 01/16/2019 at 04:49 PM by bronzeshield

Jan 16 at 6:29:16 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Interesting. With games like Dr. Mario or Yoshi's Cookie, you can just select the last level or set of levels and beat them to see the game's ending. There's no real reason to do the levels leading up to them, and no way to tell if anyone did. But in those games, every level is basically the same, just with more stuff to clear. But QBillion is full of puzzles that have unique solutions.

Hmm. It's a built-in level select function. You're not exploiting a bug or anything. This game was not developed with this thread in mind lol. It was made so that people could play puzzles, like a book of crossword puzzles. But there's a CONGRATULATIONS screen after you do #120. Sooo... I'd say that's all you have to do. Essentially, every level that doesn't end in 0 is "optional," if you're trying to get to that ending screen. It's like a book of crossword puzzles that congratulates you only for solving the very last one.

Jan 16 at 7:25:18 PM
beatthegameboy (0)
< Little Mac >
Washington
Update on Ultima Runes of Virtue. I'm on the last rune, last dungeon, but my Game Boy just died. Going to try to troubleshoot it and figure out why it's not powering on even with new batteries, but yeah, like 20-40 minutes away from beating it depending on how hard these last puzzles are. The Black Knight gets a few more days to live I suppose  

Jan 16 at 10:17:11 PM
Floating Platforms (0)
< Little Mac >
Illinois
I would agree with Splain. The win screen comes when you beat the last level and not necessarily all the levels.  Think of it like a warp in Super Mario Bros, perhaps.  Now, I'd approach it like you and still beat every level, but probably not required.

Jan 16 at 10:37:21 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Originally posted by: beatthegameboy

Update on Ultima Runes of Virtue. I'm on the last rune, last dungeon, but my Game Boy just died. Going to try to troubleshoot it and figure out why it's not powering on even with new batteries, but yeah, like 20-40 minutes away from beating it depending on how hard these last puzzles are. The Black Knight gets a few more days to live I suppose  

I've repaired lots of GBs if you want help troubleshooting.

Jan 16 at 11:32:27 PM
beatthegameboy (0)
< Little Mac >
Washington
Originally posted by: Splain

I've repaired lots of GBs if you want help troubleshooting.
I hear something rattling in there so hoping a battery cable came undone and easy fix. Otherwise I may take you up on that   thanks!

Jan 17 at 2:54:46 PM
beatthegameboy (0)
< Little Mac >
Washington
While I'm waiting on a screwdriver to open my Game Boy, playing ones I've beaten before on emulator. Mercenary Force done with best ending having princess (barely) alive at the end.

and Trip World. No idea why this game gets love. I've never enjoyed it. It is short though.

and just to state it since I realized I haven't. Thanks so much for doing all this Splain.

Edited: 01/17/2019 at 03:25 PM by beatthegameboy

Jan 19 at 9:28:59 AM
Ferret Oxide (0)
< Crack Trooper >
England
So, a slight setback for me. Having made it really close to the end of Sword of Hope 2, I have lost my save data and need to start from the very beginning.  

I'm going to put that on hold for now and focus on Race Days instead.

Edited: 01/19/2019 at 09:29 AM by Ferret Oxide

Jan 19 at 11:24:42 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona

and just to state it since I realized I haven't. Thanks so much for doing all this Splain.

Wow, Bo Jackson himself? You shouldn't have!

So, a slight setback for me. Having made it really close to the end of Sword of Hope 2, I have lost my save data and need to start from the very beginning.  

I'm going to put that on hold for now and focus on Race Days instead.

Nooooo, that happened in the N64 thread too. Curse those old batteries. Sorry to hear that.

After slowly chipping away at James Bond 007 on my phone, I finally finished it! It's a terrible game to play on a touch screen. But a good game otherwise. It's apparently build on the same engine as Link's Awakening, and it definitely has a lot in common with it. It's not a perfect game, there are a few things that could have really made it great. But there it is. I used to LOVE IT as a kid when games gave you cheat codes at the end. I remember trying to beat games I didn't even like JUST IN CASE it gave me a cheat code. These codes let you cut straight to the mini-games from a part of the game where you have to turn $1000 into at least $2500 to gain access to the High Rollers room.

Jan 21 at 1:23:37 AM
acromite53 (21)
(Evan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas

Beat Nemesis for my first time. Only 5 levels means it doesn't take long at all. Pretty good music and graphics. Everything is really shrunk down with the ship movement pretty sluggish / laggy. It's still a bit of fun and I love the Gradius games. The last level is tricky at first. Once you get those moving blocks down, it's not too bad. Like any Gradius game, keep your power ups or else. Though they actually throw way too many powerup capsules at you.
I've got to track down Interstellar Assault because I'm really interested in trying that one out.

Jan 21 at 2:05:04 AM
acromite53 (21)
(Evan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
Ugh tried playing Smurfs tonight. Lost all 15 extra lives on the dragon boss. One of those tries I did beat him. But, I died carrying the key back. I've beaten the NES version and the gameboy version before. Thats enough of this for tonight.