NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"Romarqable" Finds 2.0 Only the best from my collection - updated 9/11/14

Dec 10, 2012 at 2:13:18 AM
Romarqable (40)
(Robert Martin) < Eggplant Wizard >
New Jersey
Romarqable Finds 2.0!

I decided to recycle my threads and post the finds at in the top post and bump and earlier one. Here is my find this past weekend:

Top Pic: All boxes with manuals only. No carts. I own the N64 games already so no big deal. I don't own the cart for Batman and Robin. I don't know much about SNES but I understand this box is pretty rare? Atari game is sealed with some minor damage.

Bottom pic: Game gear lot with about twenty manuals. For the above two pics I paid around 80 bucks.

I got Ubi Indy on ebay for the insane price of 23 shipped. I own the cart and manual anyway so it's going to be for sale or used for trade bait in the near future.

Original Post:

One of the reasons I joined this forum in the first place is because of the following story I am about to tell, and had it not been for my taking a few moments to research it, I would've given away a valuable NES cart.

I worked part time at a privately owned game store up until this past summer. I've gotten alot of good stuff there thanks to my time there, like my first boxed system (an Action Set complete, I now have 6 boxed systems). One day I was hanging there with a friend who also worked there. A gentleman walks in and drops down a bag of roughly 20 NES games. I start going through it with my friend. Most of the stuff is dirty, 90% of it is the low end cheap sports games. A handful of them were even remotely valuable- the best in the bunch from my intial view of everything was a Nightmare On Elm Street with some minor front label damage. My buddy processes everything, and offers the guy under 20 bucks store credit for the lot.

I tell my friend after he made the offer that if the guy doesn't take the bait, that I'm going to offer him cash. Half the bag was games I didn't own anyway- I had Nightmare already so I knew I'd be able to make a little money back quick if I bought it. My buddy says he doesn't care. So I wait, and the guy decides he doesn't want to part with the games for the meager store credit he was offered.

He picked up the bag and started to leave, I said, "Hey man, what were looking for that bag anyway?" He said twenty bucks. I said not a problem. Handed the guy a twenty and he went out the door. After he was out the door I began to take a closer look at what I had just purchased, going through my head and seperating the games I had and the ones I needed, along with the ones in too poor a shape to be worth cleaning. An MLB and and a Hoops later, my hands land on a Gyromite. I was about to rest it in the already owned pile- until my eyes caught the top. It was a 3 screw game. As far as I knew at this point, a 3 screw variant of Gyromite didn't exist.

I did a quick internet search there and found this place, with a few old threads discussing the value of a 3 screw Gyromite. I think they dated back to sometime in 2008 or 2009 I believe, and said the price was around 50 or so for a loose cart. I couldn't believe a game we were selling for 2 dollars in a dump bin could've been that valuable, and if I hadn't stopped by to chill with my friend it might've went out the door for that price.

I haven't checked up on the value of one of these things recently. Anyone have an idea of what its worth today?

-------------------------
Current Collections:
NES: 729/776, 710+ with variants, 220+ Boxes, 206+ Manuals
Super NES: 181/773
N64: 297/298
Virtual Boy: 14/14 - Loose Collection Complete! 2/2 NFRs as well
Tiger Game.com: 20/20, 16 Sealed; Loose Set Complete!

Might be the only jerk on the planet looking for a NIB Game.com set. If you got any, PM me!

Edited: 09/11/2014 at 08:58 AM by Romarqable

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:03:58 AM
T3rra (85)
(Terra ) < King Solomon >
Washington
Pretty neat story. Since it's a variant the price is high when there is a demand for it. I'm sure someone can speak to the current market value, and if you decided to sell I'm sure someone here would be happy to pay for it.

Jan 2, 2013 at 7:24:25 AM
Romarqable (40)
New Jersey
Awhile back I got a heck of a deal. No pics as the camera is still no good, but here we go:

Boxed NES Action set, Grey gun version, complete. Box is in decent shape, system wasn't great, but I traded it up for a better looking console I had lying around.

Boxed NES cleaning kit. (never used)

Boxed Game Genie with book.

Power Pad interior box w/Power Pad. This was just the interior box that contained the Power Pad, which was worked out because I had gotten a Power Set Boxed system (separate transaction) that was missing this Power Pad box, which helped me to complete it.

The whole thing cost me 67 bucks, including the replacement pin connector I got for it. All told, not a bad day if I do say so myself.

Current Collections:

Might be the only jerk on the planet looking for a NIB Game.com set. If you got any, PM me!

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:21:08 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
3 screw gyromite i find often. Just a standard variant that might demand a tick more. a CIB 3 screw gyromite meaning i think a later release non hangtab version might be more desirable for sure. what you want is a gyromite with a famicom adapter. those are only in 5 screw ones, and only certain ones at that. they are .4 ounces heavier. you can tell by the pins. you want straight across no tipped pins. kinda hard to explain, someone else could explain that better.

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Edited: 01/02/2013 at 05:23 PM by quest4nes

Jan 2, 2013 at 7:59:54 PM
Romarqable (40)
New Jersey
Originally posted by: quest4nes

3 screw gyromite i find often. Just a standard variant that might demand a tick more. a CIB 3 screw gyromite meaning i think a later release non hangtab version might be more desirable for sure. what you want is a gyromite with a famicom adapter. those are only in 5 screw ones, and only certain ones at that. they are .4 ounces heavier. you can tell by the pins. you want straight across no tipped pins. kinda hard to explain, someone else could explain that better.

I am currently collecting mainly loose carts, I do have a Famicom converter Gyromite, as well as a Pinball and Hogans Alley. I got into collecting variants while also collecting games missing from my collection, including seal variants/screw variants. I have all three Gyromites I am aware of (3-screw, 5-screw non converter and 5-screw converter) as well as another boxed 5-screw non converter inside my Deluxe set.

Oddly enough, I have had trouble tracking down a 5-screw Pinball without the converter. I only tend to see 3-screw carts whenever I'm looking for one.

Current Collections:

Edited: 01/02/2013 at 08:12 PM by Romarqable

Jan 3, 2013 at 7:34:38 AM
DreamStar (17)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Bryan Sensei) < King Solomon >
United States
Nice story dude!Congrats on the find!

Do unto other's as you have them do unto you: Matthew 7:12

Jan 23, 2013 at 8:16:43 PM
Romarqable (40)
New Jersey
I bought a box of games from a guy I know not too long ago. I didn't get much of a chance to dig into it, but he had told me there was a PS1 console, N64-no ram console, and loose games all over the place. He said there was some NES games in it as well. I paid roughly 50 box for the box- a more than friendly price he wanted. I got home, and began to sift through the contents.

I had a handful of PS1 games, including a Tomb Raider 2 and a few other games of notable value, nothing too significant. There were two N64 games inside, Rainbow Six and another game I can't recall. The main reason I bought the box was the mysterious "NES" games that were supposedly inside. I get to the bottom of the box, to find there were only two- which normally I'd be disappointed in, as that's what I mainly bought the box for. However, the two were well worth the purchase price.

Firstly, a boxed complete Final Fantasy. Box has some wear, contents are all in good-to-very good shape. Next, boxed Complete Dragon Warrior 4. Same deal- some box wear, contents in mostly great shape. I haven't opened it in awhile, but there might have been a tear in the map- nothing too significant, but all in all for 50 bucks I'd say it turned out well.

Current Collections:

Jan 30, 2013 at 4:28:32 PM
Romarqable (40)
New Jersey
These just arrived today. When I saw the price (60 BIN, 8.75 shipping) I really couldn't pass it up. As far as I'm concerned, I hit the motherload. I was almost hesitant to buy it , it almost seemed too good to be true, but considering ebay buyer protection, I decided to go for it. And am I glad I did.

This picture immediately sold me. As soon as I saw Waynes World, it was an immediate buy. RC Pro AM 2 I was also missing, as well as, believe it or not, High Speed Pin Ball. The Mike Tysons Punch Out, while I have, I do collect seal variants, and this I was missing. As far as the rest of the lot goes, it's all stuff I own, except the boxed games, so when I get a chance I'm going to add this to a for sale/trade thread. I just got to figure out first what I'm looking to trade for.

Kind of more common stuff. Dragonstrike I've had for a awhile, but I might know a collector who needs one. (No converter in that Gyromite, the search continues...)

Overall the boxes are okayish... Gauntlet has some damage, so does Dragon Warrior. The Gauntlet two is about as nice as they come, save for a sticker on the cover, but with any luck that will come right off.

I don't think I have now nor will I ever get a lot this good again. I don't even want to do the retail "Ebay" price for all this stuff, I know it's going to be in the couple of hundreds.

A funny post script, after I bought the lot, the guy emailed me back to say he threw in a "Bonus" Legend of  Zelda gold cart. I don't think this lot could've gotten much better, unless a Stadium Events happened to be sitting in there.

Current Collections:

Edited: 01/30/2013 at 04:30 PM by Romarqable

Jan 30, 2013 at 5:24:22 PM
dialupgamer (33)
(cameron marsh) < Meka Chicken >
Iowa
Holy shit. Call me jelly. Excellent.pick up there

Mar 1, 2013 at 4:42:12 PM
Romarqable (40)
New Jersey

Going to go pick this up tomorrow. Seller says it doesn't work, but I'll see if I can change that. The trips going to be over four hours, but I'm only paying 50 for it... no controllers, hopefully I'll change that very soon.  

Current Collections:

Edited: 03/01/2013 at 04:46 PM by Romarqable

Mar 1, 2013 at 5:16:35 PM
BalloonFight (233)
(Kyle Allen) < Ridley Wrangler >
California
Some nice pickups man! Are you going for a full set?

Always looking for early issues of these magazines: GameFan, Tips and Tricks, Electronic Gaming Monthly.
Don't be afraid to send me a PM if you have any of these. I would love to give you some games for your magazines. :)

Mar 2, 2013 at 2:41:19 AM
Romarqable (40)
New Jersey
Originally posted by: BalloonFight

Some nice pickups man! Are you going for a full set?

Trying to. Several of the games are out of my price range (Stadium Events, Flintstones) but if I find ones cheap enough or by God, in the wild, I will go for them. I'm collecting anything and everything I can as long as the price is good. I'm also going for mainly cart only, as it certain cuts down on how much I need to pay to get the game into my collection.

Current Collections:

Mar 5, 2013 at 4:39:21 PM
Romarqable (40)
New Jersey

Walked into my local Goodwill. Been here before looking for stuff and haven't found much of anything, outside of a broken Honeybee Genesis controller. Wasn't even looking for games, and I found two bags of games, both marked 8 bucks a piece. As you can see it was pretty good day.

I already own all of these, but some might be better than the copies I have. Now onto replacing/updating my collection...

Current Collections:

Mar 5, 2013 at 5:53:45 PM
K3VBOT (286)
(K3V ) < King Solomon >
Indiana
Is that Mega Man 5 in there?

Hell of a nice find!

Mar 5, 2013 at 6:24:13 PM
biznoogity (0)
(Billy Muffins) < Crack Trooper >
Texas
Nice find - Mega Man 5 is the only one I'm missing.. Jealous!

Mar 23, 2013 at 2:39:32 AM
Romarqable (40)
New Jersey

Feel like I'm finally in the big leagues now. Got this bad boy on ebay BIN for 175. Couldn't believe it. I was second guessing myself (Out of cash- had to use credit) but I couldn't pass up the chance to grab one. Guy said it was very fickle and hard to get working, but a quick cleaning and it was up and running first try. The games aren't great (As we all know), but that Pac-Man rip off game was actually kinda fun. That mech game looked cool, but too bad you can't hit anything to save your life.

I also grabbed a non-working Game Action replay for pretty cheap. I plan on getting it repaired and added to my personal collection. I would've loved to have had one when I was a kid, that would've been helpful.

Current Collections:

Mar 23, 2013 at 9:06:59 AM
NostalgicMachine (8)
< Master Higgins >
New Hampshire
Originally posted by: Romarqable

Walked into my local Goodwill. Been here before looking for stuff and haven't found much of anything, outside of a broken Honeybee Genesis controller. Wasn't even looking for games, and I found two bags of games, both marked 8 bucks a piece. As you can see it was pretty good day.

I already own all of these, but some might be better than the copies I have. Now onto replacing/updating my collection...

This stack of games = insane. I need to go to my local Goodwill on a weekly basis and just keep an eye out for stuff like this!

Apr 21, 2013 at 1:03:49 AM
Romarqable (40)
New Jersey
Been meaning to post this for awhile. At the most recent Middletown, NJ Play N Trade swapmeet, I  was able to snag these beauties for my collection.

The Power Blade 2 is in pretty good shape. Some minor top label damage, but otherwise the cart is in excellent shape. Came in the box protector. The Bible Buffet is near mint, only some minor scuffing to the label. I actually have owned the box/manual for awhile, so I can add that to the "CIB" list.

This one I picked up on ebay a few weeks back. I already posted the Caltron I grabbed, this one I nabbed roughly a week later.

I've gotten a few other minor grabs- Frankenstein, After Burner, and a handful of others. All in all been a pretty good few weeks in collecting.

Current Collections:

Aug 10, 2013 at 2:12:57 PM
Romarqable (40)
New Jersey
No pics this time, but got a bunch of recent grabs.

30 Dollar Craigslist deal: Picked up a 6 switch Atari 2600 with about twenty five games, including Donkey Kong and Mario Bros. All games had manuals. It also came with an empty Orange Action Set NES box w/styro.

From a friend of mine: picked up a Teleroboxer for Virtual Boy loose, Tecmo Cup Soccer loose, Atari Jaguar console, Bioshock 1 Strategy guide, Double Dragon for Sega Master System. He also threw in a bunch of his double PS2/Xbox games for about 75 bucks.

Finally, got a Lunar 2: Eternal Blue for PS1 complete and an Arc The Lad Collection w/guide for about 60 bucks, plus a trade away for copies of Mafia II, Arkham City, and a greatest hits Final Fantasy X.

Current Collections:

Edited: 08/10/2013 at 02:16 PM by Romarqable

Sep 23, 2013 at 4:24:11 PM
Romarqable (40)
New Jersey

These just came in the mail today. Buy it now on ebay for $45 + 4 dollars shipping. Haven't gone through the box just yet, but the Bucky O'Hare being in there made it a must buy. They all have some sort of marker on them (Either on the back or the front) but that doesn't concern me too much. Just happy to be one step closer to my ultimate goal of having every NES cart one day.

EDIT: After going through the box, the seller through in four games free- 2 copies of Zelda gold, 1 copy of Zelda 2, and Ice Hockey. My mind is officially blown.

Current Collections:

Edited: 09/23/2013 at 04:34 PM by Romarqable

Sep 28, 2013 at 3:18:12 AM
Romarqable (40)
New Jersey

Just got these the other day for 25 bucks total. I don't really collect N64 that much. I think I got a great deal as far as I'm concerned.Games included (Some people say they can't make out my pictures) Mario Golf, Mega Man 64, Gameshark Pro, Game Gear console Blue, Star Wars Racer, Pokemon Snap, Pokemon Stadium, Glover, Diddy Kong Racer and Mircomachines. Not pictured: Lion King for Game Gear.

Current Collections:

Edited: 09/28/2013 at 03:24 AM by Romarqable

Sep 11, 2014 at 8:59:13 AM
Romarqable (40)
New Jersey
Bump up- new finds in the first post.

Current Collections:

Sep 11, 2014 at 9:14:23 PM
bigdawg8412 (36)
(G P) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Good deal. Reminds me about when I passed on a blue Game Gear locally. Should have gotten it.

Sep 16, 2014 at 7:04:28 AM
Faltain1 (112)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(~Faltain~ ) < King Solomon >
United States
That batman + robin box and manual is indeed a nice score!

To-do manuals: Arabian Knights, Gulliver Boy, Dark Law, Brandish 2, Flying Hero
Finished manuals: Neugier, Wonder Project J, Burning Heroes, Star Ocean, FEDA, Monstania, Chaos Seed