Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"Super 8 bit" console is back NES PCB reproduction now better than ever

Nov 22, 2012 at 3:19:56 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
Your case is looking good. Probably the best looking pirate/cloned console ever made!

As far as overclocking the NES CPU, I've seen videos of it done on youtube. One guy used a pot to vary the timing. He had an probe attached to the clock pin which gave a readout on the exact clock frequency, and a toggle switch on top of the console to switch between exact timing and variable timing. He played a few test games like Kirby and Mario, and he could dial the frequency up or down. Once he had Kirby up and running, he slowed down the timer until Kirby lagged horribly, then he sped it up until the game crashed at slightly over double the default clock speed. But just because the game can hit a given speed before it crashes won't make it run stable. Honestly, the pitch shift with the CPU kind of ruins the joy of overclocking the NES console for me. And if you think NES games glitch up when overclocked, imagine what an Atari would do if you desynced the TIA and 6507 clocks.

-------------------------
~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Nov 22, 2012 at 6:20:30 PM
Luigi_Master (29)
(Kevin McConnell) < Kraid Killer >
United States
I'm certain you positioned the controller ports due to space constraints, but a more preferable design would be to have the parallel to one another, much like how the real NES systems do. That's because there's the multitap systems, and they require to be plugged in at both ports.

I got some goodies on eBay.  Wanna see more, read the news, etc?  Check below:

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:46:50 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: Luigi_Master

I'm certain you positioned the controller ports due to space constraints, but a more preferable design would be to have the parallel to one another, much like how the real NES systems do. That's because there's the multitap systems, and they require to be plugged in at both ports.

When you build yours, feel free to butt them together if you like.

Dec 7, 2012 at 5:11:25 PM
low_budget (0)

(Nick Fury) < Little Mac >
United States
I'm making good progress on version 1.1.

The video circuit was redesigned and has provisions for a LM1881 sync separator.
The clock circuit has been improved. The clock lines to CPU and PPU are significantly shorter than on v1.0 and original NES.
Many chips were moved in closer together.
Tap points added to many important data lines for possible expansion port wiring.
Problems present in the version 1.0 PCB like the voltage regulator footprint and need for grounding jumpers fixed.
Diode arrays 1-4 removed from board. I never installed them in v1.0 and controls work fine.
Lots and lots of little fixes.

The Super 8 v1.1 circuit board can be assembled to use a composite PPU or a RGB PPU. The RGB PPU requires additional components and a capacitor needs to be swapped to switch from one PPU type to another.

So, if I end up selling these there would probably be a RGB version and a cheaper composite PPU only version.

I'm also considering ordering pre-cut cases. I'm pretty good at making cutouts in plastic, but it's very time consuming.
I mounted the controller ports as seen in the picture because I didn't want to remove too much plastic from the area around the ports. I don't want the plastic to crack if somebody pushes too hard when plugging in a controller.

Edited: 12/07/2012 at 05:12 PM by low_budget

Dec 7, 2012 at 5:27:37 PM
removed04092017 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Bowser >
Other
Instead of opting in for an RGB PPU chip, I'd see if you can get TheFox to license his RBG PPU to use, or go in to a joint venture or something:

http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopi...

NES PPU's are plentiful. RGB PPU's are the exact opposite.

Edited: 12/07/2012 at 05:28 PM by removed04092017

Dec 8, 2012 at 3:56:18 AM
Pemdawg (4)

(Andy Pemrich) < Little Mac >
Wisconsin
I'm happy with composite. Just want a NES that doesn't piss me off with that stupid ZIF cart connector, and has clean video out. I will be all over this when he announces pricing and ship dates.

Dec 8, 2012 at 4:36:32 PM
Jero (1)
(Jeroen ) < El Ripper >
Netherlands
Originally posted by: 3GenGames

Instead of opting in for an RGB PPU chip, I'd see if you can get TheFox to license his RBG PPU to use, or go in to a joint venture or something:

http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9561

NES PPU's are plentiful. RGB PPU's are the exact opposite.

It's not an RGB ppu. It's a mod that uses an fpga to take some signals from the standard composite ppu and creates an rgb signal based on that.

Dec 11, 2012 at 9:32:57 PM
Sean3614 (72)
(Sean L) < Meka Chicken >
South Carolina
Can't wait I have a rgb ppu so you know which one I would want.
I also have systems to donate for parts if you offer a trade in discount .

Dec 19, 2012 at 6:27:08 AM
Pemdawg (4)

Wisconsin
Not sure if this got asked, but will there be provisions for Famicom 15pin expansion? Headers maybe so one could add a DB15 port?

Dec 22, 2012 at 5:53:38 PM
low_budget (0)

United States
Progress!

I ordered some v1.1 PCBs and should have an assembled test system by mid January.
The changes I made over v1.0 will improve picture quality and require fewer external components.

I have acquired enough parts to build 10 Super 8 PCBs.
I have been hoarding Nintendo RGB PPU chips and CPU chips; I have enough for 5 RGB systems at the moment.

Provided all goes well with testing v1.1:
I will sell them as assembled PCBs minus the CPU and PPU in 2 versions: composite or RGB PPU.
I will not sell them in kit form because it sucks bagging and labeling all the parts.
I will sell a limited number fully assembled in the AG-85 case.

Pricing will be about $150 for the assembled composite PCB. I can sell the CPU and Composite PPU chips removed from a NES for $40.
The RGB ready Super 8 will be about $180. I can sell the CPU and RGB PPU chip for $230 extra.
If the cost seems like a lot it's because there's a lot of work involved in assembling them and hundreds of hours development time.

Dec 22, 2012 at 5:53:47 PM
low_budget (0)

United States
DELETE DOUBLE POST

Edited: 12/22/2012 at 05:56 PM by low_budget

Dec 22, 2012 at 6:11:18 PM
Pemdawg (4)

Wisconsin
Excellent news! And perfect timing, as I will have money to spend by spring!

Dec 23, 2012 at 6:07:15 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
It sucks you're not selling them as kits. That would save you lots of time and I kinda enjoy pulling out the old soldering iron. I'd like to ask how the video quality and reliability is for the composite model as compared to the toaster NES. Did you include an accessible tap point for an external clock to experiment with overclocking? Separate audio plugs for pulse, noise, expansion channels? Overall, you're project looks super solid, but other than cart slot reliability, I just don't see a huge incentive need for the Super 8 over my NES. My toaster already has decent AV quality for 80s hardware. Good luck selling these; I hope it works out...

Dec 25, 2012 at 12:07:34 AM
Sean3614 (72)
South Carolina
Sweet can't wait to see some picture's
Also, what video options do you get with the rgb kit ? example s-video, component video exec
thanks,
Sean

Dec 29, 2012 at 5:59:57 PM
low_budget (0)

United States
I have received my NES Super 8 v1.1 PCBs and have assembled a couple. Both the RGB version and the composite version have improved picture over 1.0. Having the 5v regulator and sync separator on board make the whole assembly much neater. I am happy with how the board turned out and it works great!

I'm not going to bother having pre-cut cases made. I'll just sell the circuit boards.

I will make another YouTube video soon, but I have been quite busy lately. I would like to do a video quality comparison eventually.

I will be assembling these as I get orders for them. I can do a custom build depending on preference.
A RGB NES Super 8 PCB with CPU and PPU is $419. (Yes, it is a lot, but the PPU costs $200+ alone.)
I test all functions of every system. I can't offer a warranty, I just know it works when I ship it out.

The assembled v1.1 PCB will be $150 for the composite version, and $180 for the RGB version. These do not include the CPU or PPU chips.

I also have a v1.0 Super 8 RGB system to sell without CPU/PPU for only $40. It doesn't have on-board regulator or sync separator.

I do have a v1.1 RGB kit made up I could sell for $120.

The boards include controller ports, but require a power switch, reset button, power input jack, and A/V output jack to be wired. Headers and receptacles are included for controllers and A/V connection.

Sorry to sound like an advertisement, but I have so much money and time invested in this.

The RGB Super 8 outputs amplified (and sync filtered) RGB. This can be converted to component, VGA, S-video, or composite using an external converter.

The composite PPU version has similar video quality to a toaster NES, although it's slightly improved. The stereo audio and smaller PCB size with reliable connector would be the big improvements over a stock NES.

Edited: 12/30/2012 at 02:29 PM by low_budget

Dec 30, 2012 at 6:03:42 AM
80sFREAK (0)

(x x) < Tourian Tourist >
Japan
Purity.

Dec 30, 2012 at 11:42:53 PM
Sean3614 (72)
South Carolina
what converter would you need for the rgb kit?
Is the plug for a rgb unit going to be a 8 pin dim or a scart plug or something different ?
Also, thanks for build a better nes so I do not have to mod my toploader
thanks,
Sean

Edited: 12/30/2012 at 11:44 PM by Sean3614

Jan 1, 2013 at 3:09:42 PM
low_budget (0)

United States
I use the Jrok converter for component video output. It's a little expensive, but there are VGA and composite/s-video options too.
There are some at jammaboards.com or on ebay.

I have some 8 pin DIN connectors for RGB video out that could be wired to Genesis or Neo Geo pinout.

More youtube videos:

Super 8 v1.1 in Polycase AG-85    

Super 8 v1.1 PCB info:    

Edited: 01/04/2013 at 09:02 PM by low_budget

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:43:58 AM
Pemdawg (4)

Wisconsin
Can you do a video showing the diagonal scrolling glitches?

Jan 14, 2013 at 2:01:47 AM
low_budget (0)

United States
Just a quick update:

Last night I tried a 74LS373 and LS139 (like in original NES) in place of the 74HC373 and 74HC139, and the composite PPU video was much better. No more graphics glitches in Super C. The RGB version of the Super 8 will keep the HC chips for PowerPak compatibility.

Known bugs as of 1/12:
Punch Out and Mike Tyson's Punch Out have graphics glitches (with the enemy fighter.)
Super Mario 3 has occasional screen rolling (with composite PPU only)
Composite video is black and white on older CRT TVs (with composite PPU only.)

I tried eliminating the Q1 amplifier in the sync line of the RGB version, and picture was the same. So it doesn't seem necessary but it doesn't hurt either when using RGB.

I will do a video showing the graphics glitches in the only 2 games I know of that have them. Compatibility may not be 100% as I hoped, but not bad.

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:18:16 AM
Pemdawg (4)

Wisconsin
Does the composite version have Powerpak issues?

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:25:47 PM
MarioMania (10)
(Danny Scalero) < El Ripper >
California
Will it have the 15 pin connecter for Famicom Games??

Jan 17, 2013 at 7:10:25 AM
Pemdawg (4)

Wisconsin
No.

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:15:52 AM
MarioMania (10)
(Danny Scalero) < El Ripper >
California
Aww, Thanks

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:02:23 PM
low_budget (0)

United States
The PowerPak works great with either PPU.

I listed a RGB NES Super 8 PCB on eBay. Let's see how this goes.
I will also list a complete cased RGB Super 8 NES soon.