Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join
Oct 13 at 10:57:04 PM
twiztor (5)
(Mr. Twiztor) < Eggplant Wizard >
Iowa
with Skylanders figures being practically worthless (i'm assuming some hold value but haven't looked it up) i thought about picking up a few cheap lots of them. Any ideas on how to display them or what to do with them? the original game had 32 figures which is a pretty hefty set to start with and still show them all, but my first idea is building some sort of shelf- but i also don't want to have this giant unwieldy and unmoveable eyesore. ideas/examples?

-------------------------

Oct 14 at 10:19:49 AM
hoisinberg (0)
< Crack Trooper >
Sounds like you don't need or really want them, but are looking for people to convince you to buy them. Don't waste your money. They will be impossible to get rid of after the new purchase has lost its luster.

Oct 14 at 10:54:06 AM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Yeah, if you're asking us what to do with them then definitely don't buy them.

They're great if you (or your kids) are into playing the Skylanders games, but unlike Amiibos and Disney Infinity figures, there's not any cross appeal to these.

Oct 14 at 12:19:00 PM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
I keep mine in a box. I haven't through about them for years until now. I should get rid of them, lol. I keep my Lego Dimensions figures on a shelf, which doesn't take up a TON of room and even those take up too much room for me.

I see lots of action figure collections on wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling shelves with tiers like this. Skylanders are so low value I can't imagine it's worth dedicating that much shelving and space in your house to them really.

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Oct 14 at 12:27:49 PM
GCrites80s (0)
(G Crites) < El Ripper >
Ohio
Hey they might be worth something in 2035 when they come out of the Dead Zone

Oct 14 at 5:26:00 PM
Sign Collector Guy (8)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States
I was tempted to collect skylanders. I love the Disney Infinity ones. The Starwars ones are great and they got clearanced for cheap. I was also able to score the Infinity Kiosk which is interactive with the Star Wars figures and will play awesome cut scenes when you put the figure on the kiosk.

Edited: 10/14/2019 at 05:26 PM by Sign Collector Guy

Oct 14 at 5:37:01 PM
RegularGuyGamer (110)
(Kyle aka Zombieguygeezus ) < Master Higgins >
Pennsylvania
My buddy made 19k so far this year but and selling Skylanders. Gross he's are 35k. Tons of ppl still buy them but the first few sets are filled with all duds.

Oct 14 at 7:46:49 PM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
These are everywhere. I even saw two, new boxes for a set at my (very rural) Salvation Army. They were $10, I think. Got discounted down to maybe $5 and were, possibly, even thrown out because no one bought them. I considered buying them but since they were for a system I didn't have and were going for around $10 on eBay, I didn't bother.

It'a actually almost impressive how over produced these things are. Anyway, didn't it all originate with the Spyro universe?

Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Oct 14 at 9:00:35 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
Ohio
Originally posted by: RegularGuyGamer

My buddy made 19k so far this year but and selling Skylanders. Gross he's are 35k. Tons of ppl still buy them but the first few sets are filled with all duds.

If he had the room it would have been worth cleaning out a few Toys R Us stores the week they had them for 50 cents each (strangely enough, it was before they started going out of business).

Oct 14 at 9:41:10 PM
RegularGuyGamer (110)
(Kyle aka Zombieguygeezus ) < Master Higgins >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

If he had the room it would have been worth cleaning out a few Toys R Us stores the week they had them for 50 cents each (strangely enough, it was before they started going out of business).

That's about the average price he buys them for. Crazy thing is about them is no one cares if there sealed. There's so much content locked behind some of them that they'll all be opened no matter what. Maybe 20 years from now people care but not in the foreseeable future. He sells some figures with they're matching chests and traps for $100+ and regularly sells figures for over $20. You just gota Wade through the massive amount of trash. Things like purple hands make a figure worth $15 while the blue hands are with $0.15. It's a crazy market.

Oct 14 at 10:10:39 PM
DoctorEncore (6)
< Crack Trooper >
I have the "Amiibo" Skylanders (regular and dark versions of Bowser and Donkey Kong), but they are not good display pieces. They look and feel extremely cheap next to Nintendo-produced Amiibos. Personally, I see no point in owning the rest of them unless you want to play the games.

Current Project: NES NTSC CIB Set
Progress: ~550/678

WTB: CIB NES games. PM me if seeking a buyer. CLICK HERE TO SEE MY LIST.

WTB: NIB NES games so I can open them and add to the_wizard_666's Sealed Game Contents forum topic and FAQ @ https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/nes....

Edited: 10/14/2019 at 10:11 PM by DoctorEncore

Oct 15 at 10:24:26 PM
GCrites80s (0)
(G Crites) < El Ripper >
Ohio

That's about the average price he buys them for. Crazy thing is about them is no one cares if there sealed. There's so much content locked behind some of them that they'll all be opened no matter what. Maybe 20 years from now people care but not in the foreseeable future. He sells some figures with they're matching chests and traps for $100+ and regularly sells figures for over $20. You just gota Wade through the massive amount of trash. Things like purple hands make a figure worth $15 while the blue hands are with $0.15. It's a crazy market.

Like a lot of things with video games (and collectibles in general) what people have and what they want to sell you is a bunch of low-end. Just like the constant flood of realism-based Original Xbox games, it was just the same sub-$1 ones over and over again. We had to stop.

Oct 15 at 11:22:38 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
Ohio

I snagged $50ish bucks worth of those to sell at shows for a buck each.   Even opened they took up more room than I wanted them to.

I doubt by the time I got there that any super rares were left, I just got a variety among sets and vehicles.   I did better on the Infinity stuff they still had.

Oct 17 at 2:21:09 PM
MiamiSlice (0)

< Tourian Tourist >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: rlh

It'a actually almost impressive how over produced these things are. Anyway, didn't it all originate with the Spyro universe?

Yes, the first game in the series was Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure, but it was developed by a studio that hadn't worked with the Spyro IP before, and I don't know if Spyro appeared in any of the subsequent games. It was the best selling game of 2012. That's also how these got to be so over-produced. The various games in the franchise all sold really well. It's like Beanie Babies. Eventually, the demand didn't match up with the supply, and you had a lot of unsold inventory. 

Edited: 10/17/2019 at 02:21 PM by MiamiSlice

Oct 17 at 5:25:15 PM
leatherrebel5150 (180)
(Kidd ) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: MiamiSlice

Originally posted by: rlh

Yes, the first game in the series was Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure, but it was developed by a studio that hadn't worked with the Spyro IP before, and I don't know if Spyro appeared in any of the subsequent games. It was the best selling game of 2012. That's also how these got to be so over-produced. The various games in the franchise all sold really well. It's like Beanie Babies. Eventually, the demand didn't match up with the supply, and you had a lot of unsold inventory. 

Technically Spyro is present in all of them if you use his figurine and portal him in

Oct 17 at 10:45:49 PM
AtariJay (0)
(jbob h) < Meka Chicken >
Ohio
Despite the value question, I felt like the original game was decent. Worth a play through imo.