Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"Congratulations. You had 300 dollars" A question about collecting

Oct 27, 2015 at 11:50:48 PM
Sinnbox (10)
(Joel sinn) < Kraid Killer >
Indiana
Originally posted by: Ozzy_98

Originally posted by: Sinnbox
People buying on ebay have definately hurt the hobby. Sure, I bought games at market prices back in the day, I bought Mega Man brand new when it came out. NEW retail may have been $60-$100 on old cart games based on where you bought them. However you can't blame the low prices on the recession, I was buying games for $.50 - $5 apiece in the mid 90's. Most people thought that they were kids toys and basically gave them away. Sure there were some game stores that gouged prices, but even as a 16 year old with limited time/cash to look for games I had no problem finding dirt cheap games.

"BIN Clickers" coupled with  people looking for extra cash during the recession has lead to the current crop of ebay sellers. Pre recession I bought several lots on ebay and got games at much less than I could have if I bought them all seperate at auction. Now resellers will bid lots up to insane amounts, just to make a buck per game.

Local buying/selling have really been hurt by it also. When I was in High School you could buy great NES/SNES/Genesis lots in the local paper, and on craigslist when I was in college for less than I could buy a new PS1 game for. 

I know that collecting popularity has gone up since that time, but for every local collector I know I know several resellers. In the 90's you had people that played games, and stores that sold them. Now you have the extra addition of people that simply buy to sell. Where you had a used game store or two in a 50 mile radius, you now have 10+ resellers. Resellers really hurt the hobby because they hold onto games wanting to get the most bang for their buck. I know of several local resellers that have multiple copies of earthbound in their hands(one with over 10 copies) just waiting for it to go up. I have no problem with people making a buck, but they really have hurt the hobby by adding a third variant to the mix. 15 years ago all games were in gamers hands, or at the store waiting to be purchased. Now I would guess that 1/4-1/3 of the games in the US are in resellers hands.

I think you may be placing blame on the wrong factors, and comparing the wrong games from then and now.  In the mid-1990s you say you were buying games for $.50-5, but think about that.  The snes libary was still pretty new then; playstation came out at the end of 1995, so satur was middle\begining of 1995.  Frogger was at the end of the 1990s, in 1998. So what games were you getting for $5?  Nes, and maybe a few early\budget SNES?  The fad still holds true today:

Games from 1-2 generations ago hit rock botto, that's generally the sweetspot.  After that, historically, is when they start going up.  In 1998-200? I was hitting up Game Express here, it's been gone 15ish years.  I think 2000 was the last time I was there (Since that's when I started dating my now wife, and she was never in there). COMMON nes games were $2, $1.50 if you buy 10+, and $1 if you buy 50+.  I remember going in there once with $200, that was a good day.   Still have a few items with stickers on them:

This was in July, 2000 from my notes.  It's not complete, it was JUST the box + game. It was a 3 year old game at the time, got it for $15.  Current asking price for the cart is pretty close to that, but sometimes cheaper (I just saw one for a fiver 30 seconds ago online) 

Here's some more from 1999, same store (Diffrent stickers though)

Shining the holy arc, $30, now it's up to $65. During the recession time I see it was still around $30, dropping a bit in '09 to mid 20s average, then $40s for a bit. If you factor in inflation, that $30 game should be $41 if it stayed the same price.  So about 40% raise in price from then to now.  Heavy nova?  Well it seems to have had a spike and shows as $6 but it's also on amazon now for $1.50, so I'll say it's stayed about the same price, OR IS CHEAPER than in 1998.  STIISE? Same boat, shows as $6, but amazon shows on for about $3, so I'll count that as the same price.

To me, the BULK of games have not really changed in price, just a few very rare items have. Like this Beyond Shadowgate, I remember buying Dracula X on PC-Engine, didnt like it all that well, and sold it to GameDude for credit on Dungeon Explorer II.  I didn't like THAT one, and traded it in for Beyond Shadowgate (And forgot about that step for 10+ years, so I was freaking trying to find my damned DEII game I no longer owned).  So no clue how much I actually spent on the game, but it was listed as $60, now for it complete, it shows as $500 (But was *only* $350 a few months ago)

Now, are BIN lickers the reason this went up?  Hell no.  And yes, I forgot a C in clickers, but it's staying as-is.  The price of this game was sky rocketing long before there was a BIN; once it got to $100+ in 1999ish->2000 it never dropped. 

I also never said the recession is to blame, the recession kept the prices from raising, just like it did on all sorts of other items.  That's kind of the whole point of a recession. But you never, ever, could have bought Beyond Shadowgate for $5, and Haggane ?  If you were lucky and got it used from a blockbuster, sure, but it and most of the expensive games now adays were never really all that cheap.  Back in the 1990s game store owners didn't know rarity, and collectors sure didn't agree on it; everyone thought tengen tetris was the rarest game ever it seemed. Rare games were priced on demand, and there was no demand for rare games till people knew they were rare.  I overpaid for color a dino in 2003, by a lot.  I paid $40 for it, because I didn;t know better.  Ebay wasn't exactly user friendly for price searches. But I did not over pay by $30, that's for damned sure.  If you look at price charting, it starts in 08 showing it at $8, but I remember talking on yahoo about it being rare in 2001-2002 and how much more it cost than Zelda, a game that I saw selling for $10-20 at most stores at the time.  If you look at this you'd notice this means the price DROPPED between 2002 and 2008.  Most games did, with a few exceptions that everyone looks at.

My long and rambling point is, I think you're comparing common, 2-generation old games back then to prices for some in-demand games now, and blaming resellers.  How do you ever know they're resellers?  They tell you that they just buy them to sell and own no games themselves?  Are you including store owners in as resellers?  And if the recession didn't have a major effect, then how come 75%+ of all games spike at the end of it? 

Also keep in mind, you say you bought games in the paper.  I've bought games 3 times from the paper, that's exactly how many times the Marion Star in Marion, Ohio had them listed from 1992-2002.  Three.  I've not seen games at a yard sale for 15+ years, EXCEPT for my neighbor the reseller.  And when i say RESELLER, I mean it.  His house has a built in full sized gym he fills ever year with stuff his cosignment can't push. Mostly dolls and crap but sometimes games.  Not cheap, but they've been damned minty.  Not all of us could buy cheap games at yard sales, that also throws a wrench in you comparing your old prices to modern day prices; now yard sales are global.

And honestly, there's something people don't talk about.  When I was collecting in 1996, I made $5/hr.  In 2002, I made $6/hr.  In 2003 I made $0/hr cause I was unemployed and stopped collecting.  Now i make a bit more than $6/hour, and I bet most people here have made jumps in income from 2000 to now.  Taking inflation into account, I still have way over 3x the buying power that I had back then; I used to earn 3 nes games per hour, now i get closer to 10.  And no I won't show off my math on that one

So when & how exactly did BIN lickers make this hobby WORSE?
When and how? Simply: They made the hobby worse because they dont take time to shop smart and wait for auctions to end, they simply jump online and buy a game at BIN price. I'm not saying this is everyone that shops on ebays fault, It's the people that that click the BIN on Games marked 10%+ over what it is going for. Believe me, I was layed off work in 2007 for about 5 months, I turned my hobby into a job. There were no resellers or major collectors in my town at that point and local game stores were just getting up to speed on ebay pricing. I added more to my collection at that point than I have at anyother point in my life. Am I proud that I was a reseller? No, but it was nessasary for me to get through life at the time.  I found that with a 100% feedback level and the Powerseller logo(I forget if there was top rated back then or not) I could activly price games well over what auctions ended at and people would buy them. People go stupid for the powerseller logo and are willing to pay more. This in turn shows other sellers that they can price at that price. Prices go up, and the powersellers bump their prices above the little guys again.

I had alot more typed out, but lets just look at facts. You can pull up FuncoLand's old prices online pretty easily. Lets see how prices have gone up.

June 1998
Hagane: 6.99
Final Fight Guy: 14.99
Peacekeepers: 12.99
Run Sabre: 6.99
TMNT 4: 6.99
Wild Guns: 9.99
Metal Warriors 29.99

I'll throw in some NES games since you brought up Color a Dinosaur.

Color a Dinosaur: 1.99
Stadium Events: 0.29
Bucky O'Hare: 2.99
Bubble Bobble 2: 29.99
Swamp Thing: 3.99
Flintstones 2: 9.99
DK Jr. Math: 6.99
Zombie Nation: 3.99

RPG's were about the only games that were expensive, but most of them were under $40

Most of these games were probably not available at every store, but I saw plenty of them.

-------------------------
Collection Totals:

NES: 500+
SNES: 300+
N64:124
Dreamcast: 45 - Looking for more

Edited: 10/27/2015 at 11:53 PM by Sinnbox

Oct 28, 2015 at 1:33:04 AM
Scooter83 (1)
(Jason P) < Little Mac >
New Jersey
I try never to pay full retail on anything. If I pay 90 % of retail it has to be a item that Ive looked long and hard for and the item never comes up or the prices have never come down to where i want to pay for it. I rarely do this.

I like to buy up items and grow my collection as fast as i can to a point. Im dont buy junk titles just to have a quantity amount. But I will buy up NES SNES and N64 boxes and manuals as fast as I can IF the price is right. But if its a high price i pass on games manuals or boxes cause i can wait for it to be at a price I can work with.

I also believe in right left when everyone else is going right. You all wanna fight and pay alot for item C go for it Ill go over here buy item B cheap and alot of it. 6 months later everyone will wanna flock to buy item B and i will already have it and at a cheaper price than your gonna be paying.

I think I like the oddball unique items is because not alot of auctions come up for em and there isnt an inflated " this is what is on ebay" , ( when its just an asking price ). Nor is there alot of active hype over the item. Also it helps when not many people even know what a particular odd ball item is, if you can share a moment with the seller and they see you know your stuff and can appreciate it, or if you know more about it than they do in a way that you THINK you know what it COULD be used for , many times they rather see it go to someone who might use it than it sitting in a box in the driveway. Just my experiences.

Oct 28, 2015 at 9:40:10 AM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio
When and how? Simply: They made the hobby worse because they dont take time to shop smart and wait for auctions to end, they simply jump online and buy a game at BIN price. I'm not saying this is everyone that shops on ebays fault, It's the people that that click the BIN on Games marked 10%+ over what it is going for. Believe me, I was layed off work in 2007 for about 5 months, I turned my hobby into a job. There were no resellers or major collectors in my town at that point and local game stores were just getting up to speed on ebay pricing. I added more to my collection at that point than I have at anyother point in my life. Am I proud that I was a reseller? No, but it was nessasary for me to get through life at the time.  I found that with a 100% feedback level and the Powerseller logo(I forget if there was top rated back then or not) I could activly price games well over what auctions ended at and people would buy them. People go stupid for the powerseller logo and are willing to pay more. This in turn shows other sellers that they can price at that price. Prices go up, and the powersellers bump their prices above the little guys again.

I had alot more typed out, but lets just look at facts. You can pull up FuncoLand's old prices online pretty easily. Lets see how prices have gone up.

June 1998
Metal Warriors 29.99

RPG's were about the only games that were expensive, but most of them were under $40

Most of these games were probably not available at every store, but I saw plenty of them.

Before we go to far, just remember in 1998 there were no funcolands in my area, the closest one was a good hour drive. So their prices wern't my area's prices. But looking at Nov 1999:

Yes, of course the prices are cheaper, that agrees with what I was saying.  In 1999 NES would have been 2 gens old going on 3, and at rock bottom, it can't get any lower than this.  And even then, the bulk of titles are not all that cheap.  The first 12 together average $4, go to the 13th, that's $5.28 a cart.  With inflation, that would be $6.78 and $8.95, that's actually above current market value for most games. I'm not saying prices didn't go up from this level, and even said the rare games would go up more, that agrees with the items you cherry picked.  We'll look at megaman(s), 17.99 for many of them.  With inflation, that' $30.51, PC is saying it's around $70 for 1 and $90 for 5.  Here's the chart for 5:

We have that dang gap though, from 1999-08, but in this time, megaman 5's not changed in price till the end point of the recession.  Meaning it's cost, with inflation, has gone down until the recession was over.

So you're saying this spike at the end of the recession wasn't cause of the recession keeping prices down, but because for some reaspon people started clicking BINs?  Ebay bought half.com in 2000, and had BIN back before 2002, so why did it take people that long to start licking BINs?

And of course peope will click a bin that's SLIGHTLY higher than market, depending on total value.  Same reason I select express shipping, it can save 3-6 days on getting the item.  Are you claiming people are clicking BINs that are, say, a few bucks more ($10 or less, depending on value of the item), or that there's people who are spending $50+ extra on a BIN when there's an active auction going on right now?  Say I want mega man 5, right now there's two active aucions, $89 with 3 days, 9 hours left, meaning it will be over $90 for sure. The other one is $36, 4 days left. The only other active auctions are for combos of more than one megaman.  For BINs, there $150 one, $115.  Are you blaming people clicking the $115 one for causing the raise of prices?

And even if they did, how is that really a bad thing?  The hobby has went to hell because people think the game is worth more than you do?

Oct 28, 2015 at 10:07:09 AM
Silent Hill (131)
(A-A-Ron ) < King Solomon >
Ohio

People buying on ebay have definately hurt the hobby. Sure, I bought games at market prices back in the day, I bought Mega Man brand new when it came out. NEW retail may have been $60-$100 on old cart games based on where you bought them. However you can't blame the low prices on the recession, I was buying games for $.50 - $5 apiece in the mid 90's. Most people thought that they were kids toys and basically gave them away. Sure there were some game stores that gouged prices, but even as a 16 year old with limited time/cash to look for games I had no problem finding dirt cheap games.

"BIN Clickers" coupled with  people looking for extra cash during the recession has lead to the current crop of ebay sellers. Pre recession I bought several lots on ebay and got games at much less than I could have if I bought them all seperate at auction. Now resellers will bid lots up to insane amounts, just to make a buck per game.

Local buying/selling have really been hurt by it also. When I was in High School you could buy great NES/SNES/Genesis lots in the local paper, and on craigslist when I was in college for less than I could buy a new PS1 game for. 

I know that collecting popularity has gone up since that time, but for every local collector I know I know several resellers. In the 90's you had people that played games, and stores that sold them. Now you have the extra addition of people that simply buy to sell. Where you had a used game store or two in a 50 mile radius, you now have 10+ resellers. Resellers really hurt the hobby because they hold onto games wanting to get the most bang for their buck. I know of several local resellers that have multiple copies of earthbound in their hands(one with over 10 copies) just waiting for it to go up. I have no problem with people making a buck, but they really have hurt the hobby by adding a third variant to the mix. 15 years ago all games were in gamers hands, or at the store waiting to be purchased. Now I would guess that 1/4-1/3 of the games in the US are in resellers hands.

I think you may be placing blame on the wrong factors, and comparing the wrong games from then and now.  In the mid-1990s you say you were buying games for $.50-5, but think about that.  The snes libary was still pretty new then; playstation came out at the end of 1995, so satur was middle\begining of 1995.  Frogger was at the end of the 1990s, in 1998. So what games were you getting for $5?  Nes, and maybe a few early\budget SNES?  The fad still holds true today:

Games from 1-2 generations ago hit rock botto, that's generally the sweetspot.  After that, historically, is when they start going up.  In 1998-200? I was hitting up Game Express here, it's been gone 15ish years.  I think 2000 was the last time I was there (Since that's when I started dating my now wife, and she was never in there). COMMON nes games were $2, $1.50 if you buy 10+, and $1 if you buy 50+.  I remember going in there once with $200, that was a good day.   Still have a few items with stickers on them:

This was in July, 2000 from my notes.  It's not complete, it was JUST the box + game. It was a 3 year old game at the time, got it for $15.  Current asking price for the cart is pretty close to that, but sometimes cheaper (I just saw one for a fiver 30 seconds ago online) 

Shining the holy arc, $30, now it's up to $65. During the recession time I see it was still around $30, dropping a bit in '09 to mid 20s average, then $40s for a bit. If you factor in inflation, that $30 game should be $41 if it stayed the same price.  So about 40% raise in price from then to now.  Heavy nova?  Well it seems to have had a spike and shows as $6 but it's also on amazon now for $1.50, so I'll say it's stayed about the same price, OR IS CHEAPER than in 1998.  STIISE? Same boat, shows as $6, but amazon shows on for about $3, so I'll count that as the same price.

To me, the BULK of games have not really changed in price, just a few very rare items have. Like this Beyond Shadowgate, I remember buying Dracula X on PC-Engine, didnt like it all that well, and sold it to GameDude for credit on Dungeon Explorer II.  I didn't like THAT one, and traded it in for Beyond Shadowgate (And forgot about that step for 10+ years, so I was freaking trying to find my damned DEII game I no longer owned).  So no clue how much I actually spent on the game, but it was listed as $60, now for it complete, it shows as $500 (But was *only* $350 a few months ago)

Now, are BIN lickers the reason this went up?  Hell no.  And yes, I forgot a C in clickers, but it's staying as-is.  The price of this game was sky rocketing long before there was a BIN; once it got to $100+ in 1999ish->2000 it never dropped. 

I also never said the recession is to blame, the recession kept the prices from raising, just like it did on all sorts of other items.  That's kind of the whole point of a recession. But you never, ever, could have bought Beyond Shadowgate for $5, and Haggane ?  If you were lucky and got it used from a blockbuster, sure, but it and most of the expensive games now adays were never really all that cheap.  Back in the 1990s game store owners didn't know rarity, and collectors sure didn't agree on it; everyone thought tengen tetris was the rarest game ever it seemed. Rare games were priced on demand, and there was no demand for rare games till people knew they were rare.  I overpaid for color a dino in 2003, by a lot.  I paid $40 for it, because I didn;t know better.  Ebay wasn't exactly user friendly for price searches. But I did not over pay by $30, that's for damned sure.  If you look at price charting, it starts in 08 showing it at $8, but I remember talking on yahoo about it being rare in 2001-2002 and how much more it cost than Zelda, a game that I saw selling for $10-20 at most stores at the time.  If you look at this you'd notice this means the price DROPPED between 2002 and 2008.  Most games did, with a few exceptions that everyone looks at.

My long and rambling point is, I think you're comparing common, 2-generation old games back then to prices for some in-demand games now, and blaming resellers.  How do you ever know they're resellers?  They tell you that they just buy them to sell and own no games themselves?  Are you including store owners in as resellers?  And if the recession didn't have a major effect, then how come 75%+ of all games spike at the end of it? 

Also keep in mind, you say you bought games in the paper.  I've bought games 3 times from the paper, that's exactly how many times the Marion Star in Marion, Ohio had them listed from 1992-2002.  Three.  I've not seen games at a yard sale for 15+ years, EXCEPT for my neighbor the reseller.  And when i say RESELLER, I mean it.  His house has a built in full sized gym he fills ever year with stuff his cosignment can't push. Mostly dolls and crap but sometimes games.  Not cheap, but they've been damned minty.  Not all of us could buy cheap games at yard sales, that also throws a wrench in you comparing your old prices to modern day prices; now yard sales are global.

And honestly, there's something people don't talk about.  When I was collecting in 1996, I made $5/hr.  In 2002, I made $6/hr.  In 2003 I made $0/hr cause I was unemployed and stopped collecting.  Now i make a bit more than $6/hour, and I bet most people here have made jumps in income from 2000 to now.  Taking inflation into account, I still have way over 3x the buying power that I had back then; I used to earn 3 nes games per hour, now i get closer to 10.  And no I won't show off my math on that one

Not that I don't agree with your full point, but I know that Hagane was selling SEALED for $30 or less back in the early 00's. There is a member here who bought a few copies from eBay then and still has the log of it. 

Oct 28, 2015 at 10:12:12 AM
NickTLG (48)
(Nintendo Sage) < Bowser >
Illinois
I don't buy games at retail prices 99% of the time, but it's easy to trivialize someone's finds with a snide remark like, "Congratulations. You had 300 dollars."

For instance one could also say, "Congratulations. You ripped someone off. Hope you can still sleep at night." Or "Congratulations. You found Hagane 10 years ago, when they were still everywhere."

So in a way finding these games at all in 2015 is a feat in and of itself. It's no wonder some people pull the BIN trigger.

Instagram
Wishlist

Edited: 10/28/2015 at 10:12 AM by NickTLG

Oct 28, 2015 at 10:14:14 AM
Silent Hill (131)
Ohio
Originally posted by: cirellio

I don't buy games at retail prices 99% of the time, but it's easy to trivialize someone's finds with a snide remark like, "Congratulations. You had 300 dollars."

For instance one could also say, "Congratulations. You ripped someone off. Hope you can still sleep at night." Or "Congratulations. You found Hagane 10 years ago, when they were still everywhere."

So in a way finding these games at all in 2015 is a feat in and of itself. It's no wonder some people pull the BIN trigger.
That is a great point. With how popular the hobby is now, you'd have to be lucky as shit to land a uncommon/rare in-demand game for a steal "in the wild". It's so much easier to find one online if you really want it. There are some games on eBay right now that I haven't seen in person in years. Sometimes the frustration and want takes control and you click BIN.

Edited: 10/28/2015 at 10:14 AM by Silent Hill

Oct 28, 2015 at 10:17:09 AM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Silent Hill

Not that I don't agree with your full point, but I know that Hagane was selling SEALED for $30 or less back in the early 00's. There is a member here who bought a few copies from eBay then and still has the log of it. 

But was that a regular experience, or pure luck?  It's expensive because it's rare, meaning this couldn't have happened often.  The most common way to get it would have been blockbusters selling it off, and most likely they did that for $5-$10ish.  I didn't mean hagane was never $5, beyond shadowgate was never $5.  Hagane, the bulk of them were at blockbusters (Or so they say), so I know it was sold off cheap.

I do find it very odd how few hagane's have blockbuster stickers, but I know they had the game so that's the largest source of this rare game.

Oct 28, 2015 at 10:44:55 AM
Silent Hill (131)
Ohio

But was that a regular experience, or pure luck?  It's expensive because it's rare, meaning this couldn't have happened often.  The most common way to get it would have been blockbusters selling it off, and most likely they did that for $5-$10ish.  I didn't mean hagane was never $5, beyond shadowgate was never $5.  Hagane, the bulk of them were at blockbusters (Or so they say), so I know it was sold off cheap.

I do find it very odd how few hagane's have blockbuster stickers, but I know they had the game so that's the largest source of this rare game.

Well I think it was over the span of a year or so (about 3-4 copies) so it definitely wasn't terribly common back then either. I guess nobody gave a shit.

You're right though, I've seen a handful in person and own one and none of them had any blockbuster remnants. 

Oct 28, 2015 at 11:20:46 AM
Philosoraptor (52)
< King Solomon >
Texas

For clarification purposes, I'm echoing/elaborating on Cirello's statements here, not attacking him.

I buy most of what I get now off of eBay, and I'll typically pay 80% to retail price, depending on how common the game is. People in the D have all kinds of money and games don't sit. Aside from at Game Over, which is slightly to a lot above retail (and they're still sparse), at any record shop, game store, or media store, you'd be lucky to see an NES, SNES, or N64 mario game on shelves here. Forget CIBs, if it's not a sports game or Captain Skyhawk, it's not on shelves.

Goodwills put games up for auction here in store, or send them to put them online. Also, it's not (and never has been) worth it to go to garage sales here either, becase the antique dealers show up at dark thirty no matter what's there. I started collecting in 2004 and it's ALWAYS BEEN THAT WAY where I lived in Texas. It's not the east cost where you get game stores full of stock all the time. Online is your only option if you want significant majority of any console's library.

Even though I'm a CIB collector, I would have the same attitude if I collected cart only; I'd rather click BIN than waste my time running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to find a copy of Super Punch-Out!! for months. It's stupid, and I waste gas money and time I would otherwise be using for gaming trying to find a "deal."

If people want to trivialize what I have, fine, but at the end of the day, I have it, and I don't have to look for it anymore. I can play it and enjoy it, and that's what it's about to me.

Oct 28, 2015 at 11:23:17 AM
Sinnbox (10)
(Joel sinn) < Kraid Killer >
Indiana

June 1998
Metal Warriors 29.99

Before we go to far, just remember in 1998 there were no funcolands in my area, the closest one was a good hour drive. So their prices wern't my area's prices. But looking at Nov 1999:

Yes, of course the prices are cheaper, that agrees with what I was saying.  In 1999 NES would have been 2 gens old going on 3, and at rock bottom, it can't get any lower than this.  And even then, the bulk of titles are not all that cheap.  The first 12 together average $4, go to the 13th, that's $5.28 a cart.  With inflation, that would be $6.78 and $8.95, that's actually above current market value for most games. I'm not saying prices didn't go up from this level, and even said the rare games would go up more, that agrees with the items you cherry picked.  We'll look at megaman(s), 17.99 for many of them.  With inflation, that' $30.51, PC is saying it's around $70 for 1 and $90 for 5.  Here's the chart for 5:

We have that dang gap though, from 1999-08, but in this time, megaman 5's not changed in price till the end point of the recession.  Meaning it's cost, with inflation, has gone down until the recession was over.

So you're saying this spike at the end of the recession wasn't cause of the recession keeping prices down, but because for some reaspon people started clicking BINs?  Ebay bought half.com in 2000, and had BIN back before 2002, so why did it take people that long to start licking BINs?

And of course peope will click a bin that's SLIGHTLY higher than market, depending on total value.  Same reason I select express shipping, it can save 3-6 days on getting the item.  Are you claiming people are clicking BINs that are, say, a few bucks more ($10 or less, depending on value of the item), or that there's people who are spending $50+ extra on a BIN when there's an active auction going on right now?  Say I want mega man 5, right now there's two active aucions, $89 with 3 days, 9 hours left, meaning it will be over $90 for sure. The other one is $36, 4 days left. The only other active auctions are for combos of more than one megaman.  For BINs, there $150 one, $115.  Are you blaming people clicking the $115 one for causing the raise of prices?

And even if they did, how is that really a bad thing?  The hobby has went to hell because people think the game is worth more than you do?

Your beating a dead horse here. 

I agree with you about inflation, and that commons have stayed at relitively the same price.

My point was that Ebay buyers that would rather click a BIN than wait for a deal are what is causing prices to go up so much. The games I listed are some of the ones that have shot sky high. I stick to my guns that the reason they have gone up to where some of them are now is due to ebay buyers. I know you are trying to prove a point, but saying that you had no local Funco's really makes your point seem invalid. It was a nation-wide chain. So prices there were pretty much national standards. Just because you didnt have one locally and your experience was different does not mean that just because your local stores at the time had higher prices means that you are correct. I could point to a local shop where I was buying NES/SNES/PS1/360(And Panser Dragoon: Saga) games for $2 apiece in 2010, but that is not a national chain, it was a home town store. You can't relate home town store prices to national chains and think that your prices were closer to market.

Collection Totals:

NES: 500+
SNES: 300+
N64:124
Dreamcast: 45 - Looking for more

Oct 28, 2015 at 11:56:17 AM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio
I agree with you about inflation, and that commons have stayed at relitively the same price.

My point was that Ebay buyers that would rather click a BIN than wait for a deal are what is causing prices to go up so much. The games I listed are some of the ones that have shot sky high. I stick to my guns that the reason they have gone up to where some of them are now is due to ebay buyers. I know you are trying to prove a point, but saying that you had no local Funco's really makes your point seem invalid. It was a nation-wide chain. So prices there were pretty much national standards. Just because you didnt have one locally and your experience was different does not mean that just because your local stores at the time had higher prices means that you are correct. I could point to a local shop where I was buying NES/SNES/PS1/360(And Panser Dragoon: Saga) games for $2 apiece in 2010, but that is not a national chain, it was a home town store. You can't relate home town store prices to national chains and think that your prices were closer to market.

I said above in my posts some games, the really rare ones are exceptions, and you're just focusing on the really rare ones I'm not including.  And I disagree with you saying funcoland prices were national standards, gamedude was a big mail order then, and their prices did not agree with funcoland on a ton of stuff. 

My point is the prices of games are going up due to the amount of people on ebay now buying games.  We all have more money than 8ish years ago, so more people are buying.  But it's not to the point you can't collect video games.  There's still tons of games for $2-5 each, even ones on nes  http://www.ebay.com/sch/Video-Games-/139973/i.html?_from=R40...   What people are really complaining about were rare games that cost money.  For everyone saying earthbound isn't all that rare, I've seen it twice in my life.  Once at a giant video, and once like 2 years ago.  I never even saw it in stores here; our KB never carried it. So in a market where there were earthbounds, it was cheap, and in my market, it was mail order only.  Ebay comes around, and the markets all merge into one global market.  Because more people who had no access to it can now get it, demand goes up more than the supply. With more people collecting,  the cost goes up. 

In 2001, if I bid on an auction, there was a good chance I would win.  Now, there's a good chance I just waste 6 days to get the same price as a BIN or off JJs site. 

You're claiming that it's not the amount of collectors, and not even the competition in auctions now, and not the fact people have more free money, but the 15 year old ebay feature that's causing the raise in prices?  And how did you gather this information? And are you saying auction prices themselves haven't gone up in the last 5 years, or they have because of bin lickers?

Oct 28, 2015 at 1:04:19 PM
xMaGuSx (60)
< Master Higgins >
Massachusetts

That is a great point. With how popular the hobby is now, you'd have to be lucky as shit to land a uncommon/rare in-demand game for a steal "in the wild". It's so much easier to find one online if you really want it. There are some games on eBay right now that I haven't seen in person in years. Sometimes the frustration and want takes control and you click BIN.

Totally agree with you guys. 

This thread initially frustated me because of how it was worded/came across but it looks like it was edited and a poll was added since making it way more constructive.   

The point that most people miss IMO is that most people are not here to brag about everything or "impress" anyone. And you don't have to have some epic story behind how you got every one of your games to enjoy them.

I am here on NA because i get to share my interest with fellow collectors. 

And I buy games because they make me happy, that's the only reason. So honestly, i could care less if my Chrono trigger was a BIN off ebay for just about market price.

To me it's the greatest game of all time and i get a ton of enjoyment out of it whether it impresses anyone on here or not, or whether i found it for a steal or paid market value. 

If i was to post it here it would be to share how psyched i am to own such a pristine copy of the game and share pictures. Thats what we do here on NA, we share our collections with other people interested in our hobby. It's not to boast but to interact. I love when people post pictures of their stuff. I don't even like VGA stuff but i can at least appreciate it when people post sealed copies of big money games that look like they came from a time warp. 

That's the best part of this website is how much knowledge there is on here and also to have a place to discuss a very niche hobby. 

Some people take their collections way too seriously and use their collections for attention. thats when im not impressed. 

gamevaluenow

Oct 28, 2015 at 1:34:32 PM
Philosoraptor (52)
< King Solomon >
Texas

My point was that Ebay buyers that would rather click a BIN than wait for a deal are what is causing prices to go up so much. 
"Deals" on eBay last minutes, if not an hour at best. The statistical probability of someone logging into eBay, searching for a game, and then finding one for a steal is incredibly small. Most of the time, they'll just hit bin on the lowest price one or the one in the best shape because they don't want to wait seven days to get sniped and pay the exact same price, if not more. Time is money, and if they want to play the game sooner rather than weeks or months later, BINs are the best way to do that.

In my case, I can't find most games in the wild. So they, like me, are probably factoring in the gas and time saved from searching in the wild, too.

Edited: 10/28/2015 at 01:35 PM by Philosoraptor

Oct 28, 2015 at 1:36:20 PM
VenusBananaPeel (16)
(Venus ) < El Ripper >
Texas
Guy, guys! How about we all agree to LOWER the prices of everything we have for sale to prevent BiNs from "ruining" our hobby!
no?
Didn't think so.

Don't like the price? Use Roms, buy a flash cart, buy a retron 5, mod a Wii, etc. Hell, find a famicom/super famicom version of the game. Anything is worth what someone will pay. Don't like it? T-O-O B-A-D.

Mocking what people pay and buy though...seriously? Why? Why try and tear some excited person down because they paid too much? That mindset is toxic and elitist.

On the flip side, complaining about people inflating prices because they pay for high BiNs sounds like a bunch of entitlement. Not everyone wants to hunt, some people just want to buy and play/collect the games. Not everyone needs to spend long amounts of time collecting. It raises prices but so do lots of other things.

I feel like people spend more time complaining about prices then they do actually playing their games.

Currently playing: EarthBound Beginnings
Up next:  ????
Originally posted by: ZachAttack

I actually don't like video games. I'm just REALLY into shelves and you gotta fill the shelves with SOMETHING right?

Edited: 10/28/2015 at 01:39 PM by VenusBananaPeel

Oct 28, 2015 at 2:57:06 PM
SasoriVader (58)
(Shatter Hand) < El Ripper >
Philippines
Wow, I picked the lesser answer each time. I typically pay full price for stuff... my wanted list is pretty limited and I like making sure I get nice things, so why the hell not.

Oct 28, 2015 at 4:48:47 PM
Double0seven (5)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Ohio
I guess I answered the opposite of most. All 3 of my answers were different than the norm.

Follow Mine and my girlfriends gaming account on Instagram! ---------> Th3p0w3rc0upl3

Nes- 351 (58 Complete)   N64- 59 (12 Complete)   SNES- 33  (17 Complete) 
^^ I have no idea anymore, I can't keep up on this shit.