Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Help with a video - History of the NES in the UK Research for a YouTube video

Apr 1, 2017 at 8:03:34 AM
Pomelo_Fish (0)
< Cherub >
Morning everyone,

I’ve been working on a video for my YouTube channel (http://bit.ly/2nm5fK3...) for a while but I could do with some memories of the NES.

I’ve been focussing on the UK market and how the launch of the NES didn’t have the same penetration as it did in the US. Mainly down to things like there being no video game crash over here, and the use of computers that played games (and cheaply).

Does anyone have anything to add or indeed anything anecdotal about the Mattel or Nintendo versions of the NES? Any games that wouldn't play? Memories of where you say adverts or saw consoles on sale?

Apr 1, 2017 at 8:32:52 AM
Of games (3)

(Joshua Rogers) < Eggplant Wizard >
Victoria
What do you want to know? I consider myself an expert on the UK market. Also there are many more versions than the "mattel" and "nintendo version" of the NES

-------------------------
Writing a book about the NES and Nintendo in PAL regions and Asia/Korea/Hong Kong/India/etc. Contact me if you have anything interesting about this.

Apr 1, 2017 at 10:42:02 AM
VGS_OptOut (10)
(Taiwan PAL Gamer ) < Lolo Lord >
Taiwan
I was born in 86 in the UK, and NES was my first system. It is impossible, of course, for me to compare the impact of this system in the UK with the US. However, I must say that the NES was very popular indeed among friends I had growing up, and it was a definitive part of the video gaming scene.

It is true that the scene was highly varied, people had amiga and Commodore and spectrums and master systems and megadrives and whatnot. But the NES was probably still the most common system people had... I guess in the USA NES had a majority of the market, while in the UK it had a plurality of the market.

I don't know what it was like in the rest of PAL land, but to understate the impact of the NES here would be disingenuous.

www.videogamesage.com...

Apr 1, 2017 at 12:00:14 PM
Pomelo_Fish (0)
< Cherub >
Originally posted by: Of games

What do you want to know? I consider myself an expert on the UK market. Also there are many more versions than the "mattel" and "nintendo version" of the NES

I was a bit of a nipper when the NES was originally launched. GameBoy was my frist love so I can't remember too much anacdotely about what the situation with the NES was. 

I know Mattel handled the original launch but treated it more like a toy. The games were way too expensive and sold through department stores, boots, mail order etc. Compared to the Master System and Spectrum games (plus other computers) the NES was seen as a bit too expensive. 

They packed in the Hero Turtles game (even though it wasn't a first party Nintendo title) and that picked up popularity but then Nintendo took over distriubtion (as they already distributed through PAL B regions).

Apr 1, 2017 at 12:01:14 PM
NESking80 (15)
(Chris aka inspector Callahan ) < Kraid Killer >
Michigan
Reading though this and seeing bacon instead of Nintendo is hilarious!

Apr 1, 2017 at 1:31:41 PM
DarkTone (2)
(GameCube Boss) < Bowser >
United Kingdom
Bacon?

"Vacations are dangerous! They give you too much time to realize you work too hard." - Dain

Feel free to help NA  here