Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Mega Man 4 prototype footage and more! Includes large Pharoah/Sphinx mini boss and lots of Sega Genesis proto footage!

Apr 23, 2018 at 10:00:58 PM
Armageddon Potato (267)
(Daniel Tatro) < Kraid Killer >
California

Very cool to finally see that Mega Man 4 boss in action! Not to mention the tons of other prototype footage!

Edited: 04/23/2018 at 10:46 PM by Armageddon Potato

Apr 24, 2018 at 11:33:35 PM
bootload (8)

< El Ripper >
Alabama
So there are confirmed prototypes for Mega Man 2, 3 and 4. Any others?
I think Bronty has the original artwork for that Mega Man print just after the 2 minute mark.
It's weird to see the first Genesis model on the Mega CD, was there a CD unit that worked with this version? I only see the Sega CD working with the Genesis 2.

Apr 25, 2018 at 1:26:51 AM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia
Originally posted by: bootload

I think Bronty has the original artwork for that Mega Man print just after the 2 minute mark.
It's weird to see the first Genesis model on the Mega CD, was there a CD unit that worked with this version? I only see the Sega CD working with the Genesis 2.

Haven't looked at the video yet, but there was definitely a Sega CD before the Genesis 2 was made. It sat beneath the console and had a mechanical tray.

The model 2 Sega CD had a platform extension that allowed it to be used with the Model 1 Genesis / Mega Drive 1.

Apr 25, 2018 at 8:06:10 AM
MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts

There are several of MM3 (I've owned 2 over the years and there was at least one more), and I currently own a MM2 proto with differences.

I know there have been protos of MM5, but the one(s) that I remember seeing had the generic SAMPLE label and I believe have MASK ROMs and are of the final version.  To my knowledge no proto with the Sphinx mini boss in MM4 is known.  Definitely a Fami proto of that one floating around.

CoolMod on Assembler had a friend who owned a MM6 proto.  I attempted to purchase it but didn't have any luck.  https://assemblergames.com/thread...

Can't remember an MM proto.

-------------------------
Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Apr 25, 2018 at 9:44:23 AM
Shane (146)
(Excellence of Execution) < King Solomon >
United States
Awesome

Edited: 04/25/2018 at 09:44 AM by Shane

Apr 26, 2018 at 9:24:56 PM
Armageddon Potato (267)
(Daniel Tatro) < Kraid Killer >
California
Originally posted by: MrMark0673

There are several of MM3 (I've owned 2 over the years and there was at least one more), and I currently own a MM2 proto with differences.

I know there have been protos of MM5, but the one(s) that I remember seeing had the generic SAMPLE label and I believe have MASK ROMs and are of the final version.  To my knowledge no proto with the Sphinx mini boss in MM4 is known.  Definitely a Fami proto of that one floating around.

CoolMod on Assembler had a friend who owned a MM6 proto.  I attempted to purchase it but didn't have any luck.  https://assemblergames.com/threads/bunch-of-protos.58582/

Can't remember an MM proto.

Very cool to hear about the MM6 proto, I'd love to see that.

Also I believe at one point there was a Mega man 1 proto from the Digit Press boards from many years ago, but no picture or evidence of it's existance was confirmed. It apparently had differences in the Gutsman stage, but it's all rumor.

I've heard of a few different MM3 protos, and every MM5 proto I've ever seen is that same final looking one with mask roms.

I bet there is another Mega Man 4 proto out there... there might even be footage of it out there somewhere.

Apr 26, 2018 at 9:37:47 PM
NESMASTER14 (26)
(color dreams) < King Solomon >
Virginia
Cool! Thanks for sharing!

-------------------------

Edited: 04/26/2018 at 09:39 PM by NESMASTER14

Apr 26, 2018 at 9:52:11 PM
CD2193 (6)

< Meka Chicken >
Texas
I know of physical prototype carts of Rockman 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 in the seller/collector realm, as well as what I think is one of Rockboard. If I remember correctly, the guy who has the 5 said it is final, and the guy who sold 4 remembered that it seemed like the retail RM4, but of course he couldn't test it at sale time. 1-3 are in regular, white Famicom shells like many other Capcom Famicom samples, 4 is in a RAM adapter shell, and 5 is in one of those tall, NES-ish Famicom shells.

Apr 27, 2018 at 3:36:11 AM
MrTrippleAAA (0)

< Cherub >
Alabama
Not gonna lie that you're a bit late on posting this. But I'd still love to see full prototype footage of any of the NES MM games. If anyone actually finds these carts, I hope for rom dumps of all six games in the future.