Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

I just finished EarthBound for the first time ...

Aug 29, 2012 at 1:57:32 AM
50 Cent (33)
(Curtis Jackson) < Kraid Killer >
Quebec
Well, I have to say I'm kinda disapointed with it lol. I was expecting wayyy more from this game, I'm still kinda surprised why people are so crazy/it's have so much buzz around it. I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of RPG, but at first I thought I fell in love with it (story seemed mysterious/intro was sick/thought it'll be wayyy more in link with aliens or something, like going on other planets lol), but what happened/the way it happen was kinda smooth from what I was expected. Maybe it's because I already had a pre-idea of what I thought/wanted the game to be. Anyway it is what it is.

Just a question here, I looked around Google but it wasn't really clear. Since you save the game from the last spot before beating Giygas (When you're in kind of robot at the very end). Can you go back in any way (You can't warp) or you're stuck there forever? (I noticed you can't save after beating the last Boss too). So can I go back to the normal world without start a new game from scratch?

Edited: 08/29/2012 at 02:15 AM by 50 Cent

Aug 29, 2012 at 2:03:42 AM
aleckermit (34)
(The OoT Guy) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
It's unconventional to the point where I felt like my experience points in the game were a waste of time. Conker's Bad Fur Day gave me a similar sour taste ironically. Both are overly-hyped games with unique content but lackluster play .

-------------------------

N64 NFR set completed:

http://www.nintendoage.com/index....

Need these items: Ocarina of Time Gold NFR (just has NFR sticker on backside), Ocarina of Time 3D E3 NFR.

http://www.youtube.com/aleckermit...

Aug 29, 2012 at 2:11:46 AM
AtariMaxx (65)
(Max Sartell) < Kraid Killer >
Texas
I recently played Earthbound and thought it was a great game. Also, Conker's Bad Fur Day kicks ass.

Aug 29, 2012 at 2:12:27 AM
50 Cent (33)
(Curtis Jackson) < Kraid Killer >
Quebec
Yeah, actually I have to be disagree for Conker, since I'm a huge Rareware fan/Banjo-Kazooie/plateform fan. But I guess maybe it's because of nostalgia or something since I grew up and I'm not as excited when I play video games as I was when I was kid. I can easily play 1 hour and just want to do something else. Maybe if I never played Conker and tryed it today I'd say it's over hyped, but yeah I can understand your point, these games are sooo much hyped that you can imagine it's better than everything you can expect. Then you're disapointed because it's not.

Aug 29, 2012 at 3:49:27 AM
8bitSpriteLimit (10)
(John Andrew Thomas) < Eggplant Wizard >
California
Its a fine piece of art, but its not much of a game.

He built walls,
A fortress deep and mighty,
That none may penetrate.
I have no need for science; science causes pain.
It's Wily and his robots I disdain.
I am a Rock,
I am a Mega Man.

Aug 29, 2012 at 4:43:11 AM
Dennis (70)
(Dennis ) < Kraid Killer >
Netherlands
Sell that piece of crap to me

Aug 29, 2012 at 7:29:59 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Yeah Earthbound is alright, but when compared to it's price tag, it leaves you feeling disappointed. There are much better RPGs on the system at a fraction of the cost.

And since you just finished it, what about that final boss battle? Talk about a letdown. It's probably the worst ending of any game I've ever beaten, what a joke.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Aug 29, 2012 at 7:34:02 AM
rsa2000 (1)
(Richard Anderson) < Crack Trooper >
Arkansas
This is a good example of how hype can be a negative thing. Play the games not expecting them to be over the top great. This way there won't be any dissapointment. I enjoyed both games but tastes vary.

Aug 29, 2012 at 7:42:01 AM
VideoGamesIzFun (44)
(Justin B) < El Ripper >
Maryland
Well I guess I'm lucky cause I played this game around when it came out (guess a year or 2 after). I went into Sears and saw the giant box on clearance for $10!! I was confused because a big box implied it was awesome but the $10 price tag implied it was a piece of shit. Well I got home and opened it up to see an amazing strategy guide (designed like a tourist brochure for each town). I also found it hilarious the scratch and sniffs (which smelled like shit). I loved the style and the setting of the game. Wasn't the most fun game I ever played but the story was quirky and the modern day setting was truly innovative at the time. Maybe it's nostalgia, maybe it's fanboyism I think Earthbound is truly a masterpiece of gaming.

RPG Fans
http://sociallinkmax.proboards.co...

Aug 29, 2012 at 9:17:43 AM
Ferris Bueller (231)
(Christian D) < King Solomon >
Texas
Oh my God, thank you. I thought about posting what a waste that game was, but didn't want to come off like a dick because so many people are on that games' nuts.

I love rpgs. So I remember borrowing this game in high school. But, I didn't ever play it until like ten years later. The whole time I'm playing, all I'm thinking is, "WTF am I playing? I guess I could keep going, or I could pop in FFII. I haven't beat that in a few years..."

I quite rather quickly. I doubt I even made it to the first boss.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at the Let's Play Gaming Expo last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Oh, my WTB thread is very popular. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, Richard craniums - they all adore it. They think it's a righteous thread.
I'd also like to add that I've got my father's gun and a *scorching* price guide for aftermarket Nintendo games.
Between Dragon Warriors and nothing... I'll take Dragon Warriors - for any of my FT/FS/FO items.

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:40:51 AM
ankermane (49)
(Erik ) < Kraid Killer >
California
Earthbound is a good game, same with Conker (I played them both around 3 or 4 years ago), but lets be honest, we're all 20 to 35 year old men. No games are good enough for us now. We're all just chasing the dragon on most games of our past and now that we're all old farts, it's hard to satisfy us. Those two games are both works of art and historical groundbreaking titles for their time, but I feel it's the history we love more about old games, not necessarily their current play value. At least that's the way I feel towards most old games nowadays

Edited: 08/29/2012 at 12:27 PM by ankermane

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:45:58 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
It's an OK game, but expectations really suffer from an irrationally rabid fan-base...

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:29:03 PM
Ferris Bueller (231)
(Christian D) < King Solomon >
Texas
Originally posted by: ankermane

No games are good enough for us now. We're all just chasing the dragon on most games of our past and now that we're all old farts, it's hard to satisfy us.  ...but I feel it's the history we love more about old games, not necessarily their current play value.

I played Destiny of the Emperor last year all the way through for the first time and that game was badass. Earthbound wasn't.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at the Let's Play Gaming Expo last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Oh, my WTB thread is very popular. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, Richard craniums - they all adore it. They think it's a righteous thread.
I'd also like to add that I've got my father's gun and a *scorching* price guide for aftermarket Nintendo games.
Between Dragon Warriors and nothing... I'll take Dragon Warriors - for any of my FT/FS/FO items.

Aug 29, 2012 at 1:03:47 PM
GhostNinja (28)
(Josh B.) < El Ripper >
United Kingdom
It's one of two of my favourite games. Of course you're going to be disappointed if you go in with the preconception that the game will be God's gift to the earth (not that I'm saying any of you did). With that said however, it's not for everyone. I very much disagree that the ending was bad though, being able to go back and talk to loads of different people and see what they have to say after the fact was an interesting concept, and I've never seen it again personally.

I'm happy to discuss anything to do with the game that you didn't like or anything though, so feel free.

Also to note, this is not nostalgia talking, being a Brit and all. I first completed the game only 3 or so years ago, give or take.

Edited: 08/29/2012 at 01:06 PM by GhostNinja

Aug 29, 2012 at 3:06:53 PM
Space Jockey (145)
( Xenomorph ) < King Solomon >
Washington
My first time beating this game was two years ago and I honestly loved it. There are many RPGs I dont like, the ones I tend to like have a style similar to Dragon Warrior where you dont really watch all the fancy animations to see the attack, just choose command and go. The story doesnt necessary revolve around what a standard RPG story may be, it's one of the only ones I know of set in modern times. However the discovery of everything and learning the whole way through about it is what I really enjoyed. Final boss fight I enjoyed, but the saddest part was...

SPOILER BELOW

when all your friends had to leave at the end and you ended up walking the girl home. I stalled on walking her home because I knew it would be the end. You came into the story alone with just your dog, but you are forced to leave all your friends behind at the end, with the likely possibility of never seeing them again. It's actually quite sad.

SPOILER END

I respect that you dont like it in the same way that I dont like some other RPGs that people love. If you want I'll buy your copy off you for $80 assuming its in very good condition.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7855-4097-7884

Originally posted by: Space Jockey
Originally posted by: Guntz
On a more serious note, I've played EarthBound today for so long, I feel all tense and mentally worn out.
Then you called your mother and felt better?

Aug 29, 2012 at 5:58:43 PM
ilovecardj (7)

(alex anderson) < Eggplant Wizard >
Manitoba
Earthbound to me was a quirky game with fun dialogue, that suffered from poor menus, annoying gameplay and a lame final battle. The experience was overall ok but I have no intention to ever play it again. However I think the best thing that came out of the series, was ness being in Smash

Aug 29, 2012 at 6:14:04 PM
GhostNinja (28)
(Josh B.) < El Ripper >
United Kingdom
Originally posted by: ilovecardj

Earthbound to me was a quirky game with fun dialogue, that suffered from poor menus, annoying gameplay and a lame final battle. The experience was overall ok but I have no intention to ever play it again. However I think the best thing that came out of the series, was ness being in Smash

Just in case you or anyone else is unaware, you can talk to people (or animals) and check objects without having to open the menu by using the L button. That will alleviate most menu problems.

Aug 29, 2012 at 7:43:02 PM
mcat999 (35)
< Kraid Killer >
Florida
When a game lacks good gameplay it ceases to be a game, for whatever "charm" Earthbound might have it doesnt defeat the fact that it is an incredibly boring game with little immersion. If Ness was never in the Super Smash Bros series no one would care about this game. There's a reason this didn't sell well in the first place. Not to doubt that there are legitimate fans of it, but Smash Bros peaked the interest.

http://http://www.twitch.tv/jumanjicastle/ - Playing classic games in high quality RGB Scart and Component

Aug 29, 2012 at 9:11:55 PM
standigz (1)

(Chaz Gidnats) < El Ripper >
New Jersey
I like EB, gameplay and graphics aren't stellar even by 1994 standards, but the sound track and the overall lunacy of the plot, script, and enemies is what keeps me coming back for more.

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:13:29 PM
ilovecardj (7)

(alex anderson) < Eggplant Wizard >
Manitoba
My menu gripes are moving items around between characters, and the very limited amount of items you can carry. I was spending many minutes shuffling items around from poor interface. item bag kept getting filled with garbage drops from enemies and constantly needed dumping/sorting/swapping. this may seem like a minor concern but it heavily bothered my experience.

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:26:36 PM
Zing (23)
(Daniel Corban) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
Originally posted by: 8bitSpriteLimit

Its a fine piece of art, but its not much of a game.

Bingo.

I felt like the game was playing me.

Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay...

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:28:03 PM
Zing (23)
(Daniel Corban) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario

My menu gripes are moving items around between characters, and the very limited amount of items you can carry. I was spending many minutes shuffling items around from poor interface. item bag kept getting filled with garbage drops from enemies and constantly needed dumping/sorting/swapping. this may seem like a minor concern but it heavily bothered my experience.

My issue is that there are so many interesting items, but you do not have near enough bag space to carry them around! What good are one-time-use specialty items if I can't carry them around for the odd time I could actually use them? It's compounded by the broken parts you find.

Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay...

Aug 30, 2012 at 7:43:37 AM
SsPpAaMm (65)
(shawn ) < El Ripper >
United States
I played the game when it first came out and remember it being a bit on the easy side.

The collection :
Super Nintendo: 251          Genesis: 203
original gameboy: 142       Gameboy color: 109
NES: 232                         Gameboy Advance: 112
N64: 21                            HB / repos / other: 1
Total cart based games: 1071

Aug 30, 2012 at 7:51:53 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

It's an OK game, but expectations really suffer from an irrationally rabid fan-base...

Couldn't have said it better myself. I remember reading so many awesome things about EB, that when I finally got my copy and started playing it, I was greatly disappointed. I got to Foursville or something like that and called it quits.

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Aug 30, 2012 at 8:09:54 AM
GhostNinja (28)
(Josh B.) < El Ripper >
United Kingdom
Originally posted by: Zing

My issue is that there are so many interesting items, but you do not have near enough bag space to carry them around! What good are one-time-use specialty items if I can't carry them around for the odd time I could actually use them? It's compounded by the broken parts you find.

I can understand that gripe, inventory space is certainly limited. There's always Escargo Express to store things, but it's far from ideal. I never really had a huge issue having to sort out my inventory all the time though, maybe I'm just lucky and never get any enemy item drops.