Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Who here plans on getting the Genesis Mini? Sega is finally releasing their retro mini console Sept 19th

Apr 01 at 5:46:14 PM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
Maybe just for display. I do like that they brought back the red letter buttons.

-------------------------
Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Apr 01 at 8:00:07 PM
Hyp3rblue (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Maryland
The Genesis mini has some pretty awesome titles on it, but I feel like it's the same games that are on most of their classic collections (with a few exceptions).

Apr 03 at 3:48:13 PM
VmprHntrD (0)
< El Ripper >
United States
I'm kind of torn on wanting it or the other seemingly as nice choices, that late 2018 release from atgames or the analogue console. I saw the argument made online which made a lot of sense to me, that if you're not really going to be a big cart collector yet want to really experience the library it may be the better choice, or depending on your budget a third option with the mega nt device. The 2018 atgames uses a licensed emulator cleaning up the problems of the HD first try the year before and like the handheld has now a SD card slot so it's like having a flash kit built into it. But if you have more money to throw around the analogue device and an everdrive would likely be best yet of the choices. Unless Sega will have a sd card slot on there since they seemed fine with atgames doing it for years, it seems to make the least sense unless you're just a big sega collector.

Apr 03 at 5:57:33 PM
AstralSoul13 (48)
(Mike ) < Bowser >
New York
I never owned a Genesis, only played a few games on it, so I absolutely will be buying this.

Apr 03 at 6:00:32 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: Boosted52405

As someone who got burned by the PS Classic (although I will be modding mine eventually), I'm going to hold off and possibly grab one of the casually after launch. I don't see these being limited in any capacity and hell if they price drop that would be great (hurts seeing the PS classic plummet in price so fast - they should reimburse day 1 buyers some loot).

The mods are ridiculously easy... and depending on the one you use, PS1 emulation will likely be more accurate with a RetroArch core. 9 PAL games? GTFO.

Apr 04 at 2:03:53 PM
Mechachrome (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Washington
I'm leaning toward getting it. I've bought the other Mini/Classic consoles so I feel compelled to get this one, but those are all sitting unopened (as this one likely will as well), so I'll have to think about it a bit more.

Apr 04 at 3:00:59 PM
Boosted52405 (487)
(Eric Bizzle) < Bowser >
Iowa
Originally posted by: barrelsAndRivets

Originally posted by: Boosted52405

As someone who got burned by the PS Classic (although I will be modding mine eventually), I'm going to hold off and possibly grab one of the casually after launch. I don't see these being limited in any capacity and hell if they price drop that would be great (hurts seeing the PS classic plummet in price so fast - they should reimburse day 1 buyers some loot).

The mods are ridiculously easy... and depending on the one you use, PS1 emulation will likely be more accurate with a RetroArch core. 9 PAL games? GTFO.

This is encouraging  

Apr 18 at 9:45:56 AM
SwiftFrost (200)
< King Solomon >
United States
They are killing it with their lineup so far:

https://kotaku.com/sega-just-reve...

Apr 18 at 10:01:18 AM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: VmprHntrD

I'm kind of torn on wanting it or the other seemingly as nice choices, that late 2018 release from atgames or the analogue console. I saw the argument made online which made a lot of sense to me, that if you're not really going to be a big cart collector yet want to really experience the library it may be the better choice, or depending on your budget a third option with the mega nt device. The 2018 atgames uses a licensed emulator cleaning up the problems of the HD first try the year before and like the handheld has now a SD card slot so it's like having a flash kit built into it. But if you have more money to throw around the analogue device and an everdrive would likely be best yet of the choices. Unless Sega will have a sd card slot on there since they seemed fine with atgames doing it for years, it seems to make the least sense unless you're just a big sega collector.

You don't need an everdrive for the Mega SG - you can install the jailbreak firmware and load ROMs from an SD card plugged right into the console.

Apr 18 at 10:34:22 AM
TDIRunner (17)
(Jon ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
I'm going the same route I went with the PS Classic in that I know that supply will not be limited in any way which means they will be discounted relatively soon regardless of whether or not the quality is good.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Apr 18 at 11:12:47 AM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: SwiftFrost

They are killing it with their lineup so far:

https://kotaku.com/sega-just-revealed-ten-more-genesis-mini-...

100% ready for MUSHA to get replaced with Aladdin for the US release  

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Apr 18 at 3:38:44 PM
Richardhead (13)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado
Originally posted by: Gloves

You don't need an everdrive for the Mega SG - you can install the jailbreak firmware and load ROMs from an SD card plugged right into the console.

Wait what? The Mega SG can emulate ? Mind blown. I’m gonna order me one up. 

Apr 18 at 3:49:29 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Originally posted by: Richardhead

Wait what? The Mega SG can emulate ? Mind blown. I'm gonna order me one up. 

All the Analogue consoles have jailbreak software that let's you play ROMs straight off an SD card. They make everdrive obsolete.

Apr 19 at 2:22:59 AM
Astor Reinhardt (16)
< King Solomon >
Washington
Originally posted by: TDIRunner

I'm going the same route I went with the PS Classic in that I know that supply will not be limited in any way which means they will be discounted relatively soon regardless of whether or not the quality is good.
Is the supply going to be constant then? No "we only made X and didn't realize this was going to be so popular" excuses ala Nintendo?

If so...great. I'll just play the waiting game and get it on sale lol. Still waiting for PS Classic to drop to $29.99 or less before I grab it.

My finds thread: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=10&am...

My want list: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

Trading: Lots of Pokemon cards, broken systems, Final Fantasy figures, Inuyasha figures, older PC games - PM me for more info! Also on the hunt for Earthbound!

(>'.')> I HAVE ASPERGERS, SO IF I SAY SOMETHING THAT SEEMS RUDE, I MIGHT NOT MEAN FOR IT TO BE RUDE!!!! <('.'<)

Apr 19 at 2:56:18 AM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Originally posted by: Astor Reinhardt

Is the supply going to be constant then? No "we only made X and didn't realize this was going to be so popular" excuses ala Nintendo?

If so...great. I'll just play the waiting game and get it on sale lol. Still waiting for PS Classic to drop to $29.99 or less before I grab it.

The PS Classic has been $30. In fact it's $30 CAD at Best Buy right now (here in Canada).

Apr 19 at 3:38:58 AM
Astor Reinhardt (16)
< King Solomon >
Washington

The PS Classic has been $30. In fact it's $30 CAD at Best Buy right now (here in Canada).

It's $40 right now. If it was $30 then it must have been when I was short on cash or something.

My finds thread: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=10&am...

My want list: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

Trading: Lots of Pokemon cards, broken systems, Final Fantasy figures, Inuyasha figures, older PC games - PM me for more info! Also on the hunt for Earthbound!

(>'.')> I HAVE ASPERGERS, SO IF I SAY SOMETHING THAT SEEMS RUDE, I MIGHT NOT MEAN FOR IT TO BE RUDE!!!! <('.'<)

Apr 19 at 9:33:50 AM
TDIRunner (17)
(Jon ) < King Solomon >
Illinois

I'm as confident that this will be readily available as I was with the PS Classic.  Confident enough that I won't pre-order it.  

The only reason I would ever pre-order something is because I'm getting some type of discount or I truly believe it's the only chance I will have to purchase it.  

The Genesis Classic will be easy to get.  Whether or not it gets discounted quickly will be dependent on whether or not Sega builds it correctly.  Hopefully, they learned from the mistakes Sony made.  

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Jun 05 at 6:57:33 AM
NES Connoisseur (0)
(Nintendo Enthusiast ) < Eggplant Wizard >
North Carolina
It has been confirmed that the ultra rare "Tetris "has made the"cut "as one of the games on the Genesis Mini .

Edited: 06/06/2019 at 09:30 PM by NES Connoisseur

Jun 05 at 11:05:51 AM
Pikkon (8)
(スーパーファミコンコレクター ) < Meka Chicken >
Florida
Been thinking about it but I would want the Japanese Mega Drive mini and the fact it comes with six button controllers.

Edited: 06/05/2019 at 11:08 AM by Pikkon

Jun 05 at 11:38:11 AM
a3quit4s (24)
< Meka Chicken >
Western Australia
I pre-ordered one, I agree with most that it will flop like the PlayStation classic but as the CIA says hope for the best, plan for the worst.

Jun 05 at 10:09:17 PM
NES Connoisseur (0)
(Nintendo Enthusiast ) < Eggplant Wizard >
North Carolina
The Genesis Mini will have 42 games out the box ,which is more than the other Mini consoles ..

Jun 05 at 10:42:58 PM
OptOut (10)
(Taiwan PAL Gamer ) < Lolo Lord >
Taiwan
My opinion on this has turned around a little. They have absolutely blown it out the park with the game list, no question. However, still gonna wait till it has been tested and reviewed before I hand over cash, just in case.

***Help me finish my N64 set!!!***
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&th...
***I will pay good money for YOUR shovelware sports games!!!***

Jun 05 at 10:54:00 PM
TENGEN (177)
(DK ) < King Solomon >
New York
I don't see anyone posting the game list, so here you go:

Amazing list. I would have added Herzog Zwei to make it perfect.

Sonic the Hedgehog
Ecco the Dolphin
Castlevania: Bloodlines
Space Harrier 2
Shining Force
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
ToeJam & Earl
Comix Zone
Altered Beast
Gunstar Heroes
Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
Thunder Force 3
Super Fantasy Zone
Shinobi 3
Streets of Rage 2
Earthworm Jim
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Contra: Hard Corps
Landstalker
Mega Man: The Wily Wars
Street Fighter 2: Special Champion Edition
Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Beyond Oasis
Golden Axe
Phantasy Star 4: The End of the Millennium
Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball
Vectorman
Wonder Boy in Monster World
Tetris
Darius
Road Rash 2
Strider
Virtua Fighter 2
Alisia Dragoon
Kid Chameleon
Monster World 4
Eternal Champions
Columns
Dynamite Headdy
Light Crusader

Jun 05 at 11:06:45 PM
zeldaboy (162)
(Andrew DeRouin) < King Solomon >
Florida
Not much of a Genesis fan, but will definitely be buying this.

Jun 05 at 11:47:21 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Genny mini has best lineup so far.