Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Chat: There will no longer be an official NA chat room.

LOCKED TOPIC

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:46:00 PM
gwyndion (322)
(Cookie Monster) < King Solomon >
California
Originally posted by: Tanooki

Oh no, there were problems causing it to be ruined, had little to do with evolution.

Either way, NA has a new one and so does SA run unofficially though, so if someone wants in they're welcome to it. This time though they're moderated to curb the trouble.
How do we get access?

-------------------------

If anyone is LOOKING for certain repro/homebrews, I have a running repro company thread going as well as a lot of extras myself which include Limited Editions as well.  I'm also free to help answer questions and point people in the right direction so never hesitate to ask!  Here is the current list of repro companies.  Please let me know if I need to update it:
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:00:41 PM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
I don't have a pass for the sega age one, but the nintendo age setup is nachat and the location is: http://tinychat.com/retronintendo...

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:29:50 PM
Sticky (185)
(Sn0 Bro) < Kraid Killer >
United States
This one's been around for a bit
http://tinychat.com/nintendorules...

pw is newchat

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:33:57 PM
shipwrekd (192)
(charlie brown) < Lolo Lord >
Ohio
haha i say the more chats the better ...i want more trades

Don't worry about my grammer I have a redneck waiver...
I never find nuttin'

Feb 16, 2012 at 8:30:04 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
http://chat.airwalkstudios.com... is the gateway to the 2 new chats. If the NR group wants their added to that list, feel free to lemme know.

ETA: NR Chat added, thanks Pete!

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 02/16/2012 at 08:50 PM by dra600n

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:20:56 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
It's not like the SA chat was ever packed, but I'm surprised it's gone.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:10:04 PM
Natendo (87)
(The artist formerly known as Nechestriah) < Ridley Wrangler >
Georgia
just curious... why is there a need for 2 unofficial nintendo chats?

youtube.com/user/natebit

WTB: 
Rescue Rangers 2 Manual  •  Fire N Ice Manual  •  Rad Racer 3D Glasses
Also, I'm always hunting for Complete Nintendo Powers and  loose Box/Manuals for NES - PM me if you have any extras!

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:58:39 PM
ThatNintendoGuy (47)
(Jason B) < El Ripper >
Michigan
I feel like the recent closing of NA chat has cause a serious division of people with three different recognized chats now. I am aware that this didn’t happen overnight, but the lack of NA Chat of evolving over time with the community. Also, it discourages a lot of new NA members from getting a different feel for the site.

This has been mentioned before about cliques and stuff well now that’s all the chats are now.  So congrats!! I guess that’s what happens when you hinder the introduction of new faces. Without the original NA chat I don’t think I’d be a member of Nintendo Age. Just the quick and easy way to go about everything and actually being able to see the people behind the collector was amazing. I know that this may be just swept under the rug, but I want my voice to be heard.

Edited: 02/17/2012 at 12:01 AM by ThatNintendoGuy

Feb 17, 2012 at 12:09:51 AM
the tall guy (130)
(Randy the Astonishing) < Bowser >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: ThatNintendoGuy

This has been mentioned before about cliques and stuff well now that’s all the chats are now.  So congrats!! I guess that’s what happens when you hinder the introduction of new faces. Without the original NA chat; I don’t think I’d be a member of Nintendo Age. Just the quick and easy way to go about everything and actually being able to see the people behind the collector was amazing. I know that this may be just swept under the rug, but I want my voice to be heard.

Jason, that's a sentiment I'd echo.  I remember chatting way back when I joined in mIRC and getting to know some people at least somewhat before I went to the expo.  I remember when we implemented tinychat in the first place, and it was tremendous to get to talk to people that I was getting to know online.  I know there will still be chats, and I'm sure I'll pop in them from time to time (at least provided I know whatever password is required), but it sucks ass if I'm friends with whoever that only chats with whoever else, and also with someone else that isn't.  I'll have to pop in what, 3 different chats to maybe catch some of my friends.  That's going to suck.

I understand completely that chat had become a headache to the mods here, and that's perfectly understandable they shut it down, I know they have to deal with WAY more shit than they probably should.  It sucks that it happened, but if it's easier on them, I think that's the way it should be, these dudes are volunteering their time to make this place great, and in that way, it's a small sacrifice.  Hopefully one day we can get to the point that everyone can at least play nice together.

"Meeting internet dudes is what being a dude on the internet is all about!"  ~OSG 

Feb 17, 2012 at 12:30:08 AM
Herbalist (139)
(Bill Brasky) < King Solomon >
Wisconsin
...We'll always have paris

Feb 17, 2012 at 12:54:46 AM
OSG (28)
(PEEP and PAMP) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
There are some people who are sort of outgoing and maybe a bit abrasive, and some people who are more reserved and maybe a bit sensitive. It's an unfortunate thing that they can't get along, but it's not really cliques, I don't think. Because the more laid back guys don't have a problem no matter who's in the room. The more aggressively outgoing or aggressively reserved people tend to clash. I think when it comes down to it, it's just a personality thing. And that's going to happen no matter where you go, whether it's on the internet or in real life. It's not as superficial as being excluded from the cool kids club in high school.

This exact thing has happened to every NES chat I have been a part of since 1997. It's not that the people who were in the chat didn't want new people, it's that some people unfortunately can't be friends. It has nothing to do with cliques.

Feb 17, 2012 at 7:48:17 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: OSG

There are some people who are sort of outgoing and maybe a bit abrasive, and some people who are more reserved and maybe a bit sensitive. It's an unfortunate thing that they can't get along, but it's not really cliques, I don't think. Because the more laid back guys don't have a problem no matter who's in the room. The more aggressively outgoing or aggressively reserved people tend to clash. I think when it comes down to it, it's just a personality thing. And that's going to happen no matter where you go, whether it's on the internet or in real life. It's not as superficial as being excluded from the cool kids club in high school.

This exact thing has happened to every NES chat I have been a part of since 1997. It's not that the people who were in the chat didn't want new people, it's that some people unfortunately can't be friends. It has nothing to do with cliques.

Could not agree more with this OSG. Well said.

Feb 17, 2012 at 11:44:11 AM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
Yeah that's why there's the two unofficial chats.

The NR one got setup when the legit chat started having crackdowns due to newly posted rules on bad and other off color behavior that could potentially get the site in trouble or just alienate people from using it. Those who felt the rules weren't for them or were unjust went and made a parallel chat so they could drink, do pot, scream on cam, go over the top with swearing, or other stuff that got blacklisted.

Then drama occurred between there and the official chat channels, it wouldn't stop, so they got closed. From that I setup a new chat for NA unofficially where it still follows those guidelines, two mods/admins of this site are moderators for it. That's basically it leaving out a big ass post and lots of boring details and drama. So, if you want a more moderated, more laid back, more game centric or what not one there's, one, if you want a more open free to do much even of the questionable nature one you got the other.

Personally I'd like to see there just be one but I don't think it will happen. Having 3 between 2 here and 1 on SA is a bit much.

Feb 17, 2012 at 11:44:56 AM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Originally posted by: ThatNintendoGuy

I feel like the recent closing of NA chat has cause a serious division of people with three different recognized chats now.
At least one of the new chats appeared when the simple rules were added to NA chat, so the closing did not create it.  The division was already there and likely in part caused the closing.

The 10+ year old #nesdev channel on efnet is still running too  

Feb 17, 2012 at 11:57:20 AM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota

The NR one got setup when the legit chat started having crackdowns due to newly posted rules on bad and other off color behavior that could potentially get the site in trouble or just alienate people from using it. Those who felt the rules weren't for them or were unjust went and made a parallel chat so they could drink, do pot, scream on cam, go over the top with swearing, or other stuff that got blacklisted.

Then drama occurred between there and the official chat channels, it wouldn't stop, so they got closed.

Your take on the situation is obvisouly biased, and that is a small example of the drama, people couldn't co-exist.  By the way, no drinking was never a rule.

Originally posted by: Paul

ok guys, this is not the place to talk trash about anyone's behavior.

This is a thread to simply let everyone know, chat is gone. Please stop with the name calling, speculation on what happened or anything like that.

For those who didn't see this earlier.

Feb 17, 2012 at 1:48:49 PM
shipwrekd (192)
(charlie brown) < Lolo Lord >
Ohio

Yeah that's why there's the two unofficial chats.

Then drama occurred between there and the official chat channels, it wouldn't stop, so they got closed. From that I setup a new chat for NA unofficially where it still follows those guidelines, two mods/admins of this site are moderators for it. That's basically it leaving out a big ass post and lots of boring details and drama. So, if you want a more moderated, more laid back, more game centric or what not one there's, one, if you want a more open free to do much even of the questionable nature one you got the other.

Personally I'd like to see there just be one but I don't think it will happen. Having 3 between 2 here and 1 on SA is a bit much.

MORE MODETATED? IS THAT LIKE BIG GOVERMENT?I like the mix i go where my mood leads me if i want to have fun i go to NR chat if I want more quiet ..then id go to the other chats

Don't worry about my grammer I have a redneck waiver...
I never find nuttin'

Feb 17, 2012 at 3:18:00 PM
Sticky (185)
(Sn0 Bro) < Kraid Killer >
United States
The real question is, if there was no drinking in chat... would there be chat?

Feb 17, 2012 at 3:38:54 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: Sticky

Yes Only a few people get drunk and on cam/mic. If I didn't get on cam/mic when drinking, none of you would know I'm drunk since I'm normally a "speak my mind" person without the influence of alcohol, so my actual comments and actions aren't much different. Same with Pete from what I can tell lol.

Feb 18, 2012 at 10:05:03 PM
Slammer (3)

( Anonymous) < Eggplant Wizard >
Saskatchewan
I think it's a shame chat had to be shut down. It would be nice if the world was full of people who could co-habitat, however that's not reality. I no longer used chat after my own personal incident, so it isn't really a big deal to me - but I know a lot of people enjoyed the chat room.

I think having unofficial chat rooms are both a grea and poor idea. Any issues that were occurring in official NA cha will just be echoed in the unofficial chat room; that's inevitable, really. At the same time, it's great that members who enjoyed chat and got to know each other & form friendships via chat are able to continue to do so

Wherever the chat rooms are - hope y'all have fun

Feb 18, 2012 at 10:09:46 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
As much as I enjoyed the SA chat, it was kinda tough to chat, reply to PMs and browse the forum all at the same time so I didn't get to use it as much as I would have liked.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Feb 20, 2012 at 6:16:15 PM
PeteDiak (195)
(Pete Diak) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
Originally posted by: dra600n

Originally posted by: Sticky

Yes Only a few people get drunk and on cam/mic. If I didn't get on cam/mic when drinking, none of you would know I'm drunk since I'm normally a "speak my mind" person without the influence of alcohol, so my actual comments and actions aren't much different. Same with Pete from what I can tell lol.

I have been known to have a splash of whisky in chat once in awhile...

Edited: 02/20/2012 at 06:16 PM by PeteDiak

Feb 20, 2012 at 6:20:56 PM
SamSpade (61)
(Joey Pimkowski) < Bowser >
California
http://tinychat.com/retronintendoage

I've been using this chat lately.

Feb 20, 2012 at 7:09:08 PM
PeteDiak (195)
(Pete Diak) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
http://chat.airwalkstudios.com/ni...

Ive been using this chat from day one..

Feb 20, 2012 at 7:15:27 PM
That Old Au Guy (5)

(Anton U) < Meka Chicken >
Manitoba
Originally posted by: SamSpade

http://tinychat.com/retronintendoage

I've been using this chat lately.

Yeah, RNA is pretty much one of the best chats I've ever been on.

Feb 20, 2012 at 7:33:07 PM
8BitPat (24)
(Patrick Gionet) < Eggplant Wizard >
New Brunswick
Originally posted by: PeteDiak

http://chat.airwalkstudios.com/nintendorules.php

Ive been using this chat from day one..

Yeah, NR is pretty much one of the best chats I've ever been on.