Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

BeaglePuss and Mrmark's ongoing prototype finds Today's Score: Clu Clu Land prototype!!!

May 27, 2010 at 10:11:52 PM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Hello fellow board members!  I've decided to stop spamming up the Finders Keepers forum with every new discovery, and I will now be updating this thread periodically with our prototype finds.  I will do my best to note the sale price of the game, where it was purchased, known history of the game, and any discernible differences.

Today's prototype:  Wacky Races for the NES!

This prototype was purchased from eBay for $171.06 (auction link http://cgi.ebay.com/Wacky-Races-P...= ).

This auction not only included the prototype but a retail box and manual too!!!  Mark already had the cart. and now his copy is CIB (sweet).  From the little I played, the game appears to be identical to the released version.

Someone mentioned in an earlier thread that they were unaware prototypes came with boxes.  In this case it appears that the box and manual were added to the listing and were not actually initially present when the original owner received the game.  The next prototype I post in this thread will be an example complete with a prototype box (which includes early artwork)!

Edited: 12/10/2011 at 05:30 PM by BeaglePuss

May 27, 2010 at 10:15:02 PM
OzNEScollector (80)
(O z) < Kraid Killer >
Australia
good stuff! not knowing of NTSC stuff i am interested to know how much the box/manual worth on there own?

-------------------------

May 27, 2010 at 10:15:48 PM
oMoT (41)
(Tupac Shakur) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
OOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo prototypes...

May 27, 2010 at 10:19:15 PM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: OzNEScollector

good stuff! not knowing of NTSC stuff i am interested to know how much the box/manual worth on there own?

Jonebone speculated between $40-$50 for the box and manual alone.  They can be a bit of a bitch to track down, and these are beyond mint.  I'm nearly as happy about the box and manual as I am the prototype.  Haha.

Edit: "Beyond mint" was a gross overstatement.  With that said, they are in fantastic shape.

Edited: 05/27/2010 at 10:36 PM by BeaglePuss

May 27, 2010 at 10:20:12 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta

Let's just say that the game itself barely ever turns up, and the box and manual almost never do.

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

May 27, 2010 at 10:23:51 PM
OzNEScollector (80)
(O z) < Kraid Killer >
Australia
thats great! i was sure i could remember someone was offering $35 for the manual alone awhile ago so i had to ask...nice score all around

May 27, 2010 at 10:28:09 PM
0xero0 (230)
(Drunk Robot) < Kraid Killer >
Oregon
Is that game as fun as it looks?

Open to trades http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

May 27, 2010 at 10:33:46 PM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: 0xero0

Is that game as fun as it looks?

It's fun, and the graphics/controls are spot on, but it's just too damn easy.  If the ramped up the difficulty a little it would be a lot more enjoyable with a higher replay value.  Think of it as an exceptionally easy Flintstones game.

It does implement a Gradius-style power-up system which you don't see a lot in platformers.  That alone makes the game worth a go.

May 27, 2010 at 10:43:55 PM
vern77777 (35)
(8==o------ (.)(.)) < Kraid Killer >
Illinois
Damn, I was watching the shit out of this! Thankfully it went to someone here. Congrats Matt. If you ever feel like getting rid of any proto's, pm me first. lol!

Looking for test carts...

May 27, 2010 at 10:49:46 PM
Laurie (42)
(Levar Burtons' Magically Wonderful Deluxe Sundae Machine) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario
I'm going to be watching this thread like a hawk!

May 27, 2010 at 10:57:22 PM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: vern77777

Damn, I was watching the shit out of this! Thankfully it went to someone here. Congrats Matt. If you ever feel like getting rid of any proto's, pm me first. lol!

I received PMs from six different members about this auction, so it seems you were in good company lol.  I don't what it was about this listing, but people really seemed to be into it.  Having been showcased on gamesniped didn't hurt either I suppose.

As for selling, I don't plan on getting rid of any NES stuff soon (unless I have a duplicate).  I do have some Genny and GB stuff that I would part with though.  Shoot me a PM if you're interested in anything in particular.

Originally posted by: Laurie

I'm going to be watching this thread like a hawk!

Over the next week I will be posting some unreleased stuff I'm getting in as well as some early artwork.  There will be plenty of lulls when it comes to bumping this thread, but this week will be an especially busy one (which is why I decided to make the thread when I did).

OT: Who's that in your av?

May 27, 2010 at 11:08:27 PM
Laurie (42)
(Levar Burtons' Magically Wonderful Deluxe Sundae Machine) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario
Originally posted by: BeaglePuss

May 27, 2010 at 11:14:32 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta

Wow, that was...annoying...I'd still bang her though

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."

May 27, 2010 at 11:58:57 PM
smokinjoe24 (147)
(P Fen) < Bowser >
United States
Nice...even nicer that it had the box and manual. Thats a bonus!

May 28, 2010 at 12:40:00 AM
Penguin (239)
(Justin AKA Penguin) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
Very sexy, I came this close to bidding on it as it's one of my favorite NES games. Glad it went to a good home.

Looking for Black cartridge Color Dreams games, last 3 I need:  Metal Fighter, Moon Ranger, Baby Boomer.  Please contact me if you have any of these!

May 28, 2010 at 12:41:37 AM
AllYourBass (101)
(Pepe Silvia) < Bowser >
Alberta
I have a feeling this is going to be an epic thread!

May 28, 2010 at 2:18:17 AM
udisi (88)
< King Solomon >
United States

How do you find this shit lol

May 28, 2010 at 10:42:18 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland

thats great! i was sure i could remember someone was offering $35 for the manual alone awhile ago so i had to ask...nice score all around

It was Nesruler (Jeremy?) but one bounty doesn't set the market value... it just means one person really wants it.

I still say a CIB is about $70 to $80, cart is maybe $20-$30 on it's own. 

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

May 28, 2010 at 1:35:26 PM
ars2pd (181)
(aRs !) < King Solomon >
Missouri
That manual is ridiculous to find. I can't remember how long it took me to acquire mine. Box you can get $15-20 out of IMO if its near mint / mint, and manual around $30. Congrats man, that is one sexy proto!

May 28, 2010 at 5:21:27 PM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Today's prototype:  Haunting for the Sega Genesis featuring early box art!

This prototype was purchased from eBay for $55.00 (auction link http://cgi.ebay.com/HAUNTING-Sega... ).

I rarely get excited when it comes to Sega stuff, but this prototype sets itself apart from the pack.  Mark and I loved this game as kids so part of me was immediately interested in this prototype as soon as it was listed.  After looking at the listing I noticed that the box art didn't look right.  After a quick Google search I noticed that the artwork was noticeably different (the third picture above is what the released box looked like).  Out of all the prototype stuff I have, I had yet to come across a single prototype box.  I knew I had to have it.  It was great that someone asked about prototypes with accompanying boxes just days ago and now I have one to show off.

I haven't fired up the Genny yet to test for differences, but if I come across anything I will definitely update the thread.

The next prototype finds installment will feature some more unreleased NES.  Stay tuned!

May 28, 2010 at 5:23:37 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Such an awesome game! Can't complain for $55!

Edited: 05/28/2010 at 05:23 PM by the_wizard_666

May 29, 2010 at 11:20:39 AM
Octopus (6)
(Tentacles or Gtfo) < Eggplant Wizard >
Ohio
Nice finds on both of the protos! Im suprised they went for as low as they did.

tentacles or gtfo

May 29, 2010 at 11:31:02 AM
RASK1904 (196)
(Roger D.) < Ridley Wrangler >
Nebraska
Is it possible for you to add how many of each new find are know to exist. I undestand this is very dificult to compute. But some info like that would be sweet. Just as example I'm sure you know, just out of the proto collectors you know, how many of them have the Wacky Racers Proto. Just think it might add to the holy shit factor. Thanx RASK1904

My ebay   http://shop.ebay.com/rask1904/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562                                                                                                                     ................................My fs thread....
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&...    

May 29, 2010 at 12:59:59 PM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: RASK1904

Is it possible for you to add how many of each new find are know to exist. I undestand this is very dificult to compute. But some info like that would be sweet. Just as example I'm sure you know, just out of the proto collectors you know, how many of them have the Wacky Racers Proto. Just think it might add to the holy shit factor. Thanx RASK1904

I could give it a shot, but it would be pretty tough to be honest.  I know that at least Dream has a WR prototype, but beyond that I really have no idea.

It's funny you should bring this up though.  There are unreleased titles like Airball, Cuestick, Sonic Crackers, and Drac's Night Out where multiple copies exist.  Then there are titles like the Terra Cresta I have where I don't really know of any other known copies.  That would make my TC prototype rarer than the unreleased games I suppose.  Kind of funny to think of it that way.

May 29, 2010 at 2:38:09 PM
dr.robbie (175)
(Robbie Pacanowski) < Bowser >
Missouri
very cool finds there guys!

Let's Go Penguins!