Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"Retro Collectors" hating retro collecting Facebook group...Odd

Apr 12, 2014 at 10:28:15 PM
Viper0hr (81)
(Ryan R) < Ridley Wrangler >
Florida
So this facebook group operates near my area and I had seen their FB ad a while back while surfing CL and know a few people who watch the page for the "lulz".
They seem...odd...Being retro collectors who at the same time tend to spend all their time bitching about game prices and trash talking everyone who disagrees.

Just wondering if anyone else has a group or has experienced a group like this while collecting.

PS. Take a look at their posts and read some of the comments and banter...It would be entertaining if it wasn't so sad.

https://www.facebook.com/retrogam...

Edit: I know at least one of the admins is a member here, so maybe we will get a comment of explanation for him/her at some point?

This is not meant to be a call out or anything, I am just wondering what the deal is with this and how common it is.

Edited: 04/12/2014 at 10:37 PM by Viper0hr

Apr 12, 2014 at 10:33:21 PM
pujolsfan (116)
< King Solomon >
Missouri
I hate when people complain about prices. If you don't like the price, then don't buy it. Modern video games are overall a lot more expensive to collect.

Apr 12, 2014 at 10:55:37 PM
empire (58)
(Not me! ) < Wiz's Mom >
British Columbia
This sums it up nicely

-------------------------
SW-6786-5095-2210

Apr 12, 2014 at 11:36:43 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: pujolsfan

I hate when people complain about prices. If you don't like the price, then don't buy it. Modern video games are overall a lot more expensive to collect.

Thats funny, I feel the same exact way.  I never understood why people complain so much about prices.  Its like hearing people bitch about ebay prices.  We know they are way too high, yet people constantly need to repeat it.

Didn't you guys know, hating everything and being a picky douche is the new cool?

Edited: 04/12/2014 at 11:37 PM by MrWunderful

Apr 13, 2014 at 12:49:46 AM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
I think the complaining is rooted in if you were buying before the last 4 years because they used to be ignored and almost all of them were stupidly cheap. Even the truly late release and rare stuff was a fraction of what they are now. If the bitching is rooted in that it's a fair gripe if you're used to something being so for years or decades to then have everyone including the kitchen sink showing up and putting prices where they are, finding stuff hard, and finding it non-ebay priced local even harder. But to setup a group solely for bitching seems pretty whiny and pointless.

Apr 13, 2014 at 1:09:46 AM
alekx (108)
(Alexander Kong) < Bowser >
Alberta
I think people are upset at all the overpriced stuff that are trying to lure misinformed buyers to sell above market value... Atleast thats what I got out of it... Either way its a form of being a little bitch online.

Apr 13, 2014 at 1:15:42 AM
Thunderblaze16 (76)
(Piero ) < King Solomon >
Florida
Originally posted by: pujolsfan

We need bitching to get others to leave the hobby though. It's a way for the value to cool down.

***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***

Apr 13, 2014 at 1:52:08 AM
ihavethatpma (324)
(Doombutt Jazzmouth) < Bowser >
Washington
There sure are a lot of complainers and babies in this hobby of ours.

Apr 13, 2014 at 3:50:28 AM
dmac4917 (18)
(doug macdonald) < Crack Trooper >
Nevada
Why bother to complain that's not gonna make the price drop.....

WWW.INSERTCOINS.COM...
3111 S Valley View #E104
Las Vegas NV 89102

Apr 13, 2014 at 5:06:57 AM
JKeefe56 (55)
(Jim K) < Meka Chicken >
New York
Seriously. Yeah, prices are outrageous. Still cheaper than a lot other hobbies, plus there are things like powerpaks now, so the collecting more and more becomes really just collecting and less about "just wanting to play the games."

This space intentionally left mostly blank.

Apr 13, 2014 at 6:09:59 AM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
Bitch, Whine, it's all in the mind
If you wanna buy me, I'm sure you'll find
The price I reach for, is sure to teach ya
You should've bought me, a couple years earlie-a
Bitch, Whine!
Bitch, Bitch, Whine!
Pout, Cry, and Complain!
Now Turn and Troll!

Apr 13, 2014 at 7:29:47 AM
Dochrohan (10)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Kraid Killer >
Netherlands
thread just got real

Apr 13, 2014 at 8:22:11 AM
Paul F (10)
(PlayStation 2 ) < Eggplant Wizard >
England
I feel the bitching and moaning is increasing as we see prices rise, some collectors are thinking back to the cheaper prices and resenting the fact they didn't scoop up every deal from the 1990's, it is fun to watch the moaning on these facebooks sites, reminds me of the "back in my day" golden glasses older people sometimes wear.

Come visit www.playstationage.com -  your Nintendo Age username and password will let you in

Apr 13, 2014 at 12:41:51 PM
Space Jockey (145)
( Xenomorph ) < King Solomon >
Washington
This thread sounds a lot like NA. So many people here saying things like, "I'm only gonna pay $200 for Aero Fighters, it's not worth more (or some other lowball amount for a high value game)".  Apparently the market says differently. Get used to it or move on, but stop complaining like little whining babies ya know?

Switch Friend Code: SW-7855-4097-7884

Originally posted by: Space Jockey
Originally posted by: Guntz
On a more serious note, I've played EarthBound today for so long, I feel all tense and mentally worn out.
Then you called your mother and felt better?

Edited: 04/13/2014 at 12:43 PM by Space Jockey

Apr 13, 2014 at 12:53:39 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: Space Jockey

This thread sounds a lot like NA. So many people here saying things like, "I'm only gonna pay $200 for Aero Fighters, it's not worth more (or some other lowball amount for a high value game)".  Apparently the market says differently. Get used to it or move on, but stop complaining like little whining babies ya know?

Exactly. Friends (casual collecting buddies) called me crazy when I shelled out decent cash for some of the pricier SNES games in 2010 or so, but now some of these same friends are crying foul at where prices went. Sorry bud, you're not going to get my Final Fight Guy for the $40 I paid for it, etc etc. Take your whining elsewhere.

Apr 13, 2014 at 1:27:47 PM
Spurgness (11)
(Cody S) < El Ripper >
British Columbia
Crybaby McShit-eaters. I use to complain about prices quite a bit as time went on, but as I started finding deals every now and then, I came to peace with it and learned to just be patient and let everything grow slowly, and I always ask myself "Do I need this $120 game? Or can I wait til I find it for $100, and use the extra $20 on something else?" It's worked out pretty good for me so far.

As for people purely bitching about prices, they need to just look past that and realise that the games are not just a price tag that sits on a shelf, but an experience waiting to be had. Unless it's something stupid, like Color A Dinosaur, but I guess that can be considered an experience too!

Apr 13, 2014 at 3:56:32 PM
Foochie776 (240)
(Obi Wan Kenobi) < Bowser >
Minnesota
Originally posted by: ihavethatpma

There sure are a lot of complainers and babies in this hobby of ours.

Awe yeah. So damn true.

May the force be with you.

Apr 13, 2014 at 5:36:20 PM
Tanooki (185)
Kentucky
Originally posted by: kentgames

I feel the bitching and moaning is increasing as we see prices rise, some collectors are thinking back to the cheaper prices and resenting the fact they didn't scoop up every deal from the 1990's, it is fun to watch the moaning on these facebooks sites, reminds me of the "back in my day" golden glasses older people sometimes wear.
Well I can't speak for others, but for me when I started from 1995 until 2010/11 things were stupid cheap except for a few stand out rarities that should be at that mark.  I don't like it, can't do crap about it, but it is annoying.  I had to let loose of most my stuff due to job/money issues a decade ago, so getting it back was fine until a few years back, now it's just infuriating going after the last few things not including manuals, just the games.  If that never happened I'd just ignore it or sell the stuff I didn't care about anymore to remove the price issue.  I find myself stuck in the middle of getting it and hating it and it just drags my interest down because it's like when I was a kid when the same people and behavior ruined my allowance spending on comics and baseball cards as they got obscene.  I have no pity for those complaining who got in to resell or those getting in now knowing how bad it is already.

Originally posted by: Trj22487

Bitch, Whine!
Bitch, Bitch, Whine!
Pout, Cry, and Complain!
Now Turn and Troll!

This really needs to be properly formatted using photoshop as it's perfect.

Apr 13, 2014 at 8:26:34 PM
Dochrohan (10)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Kraid Killer >
Netherlands
Originally posted by: Tanooki

Originally posted by: kentgames

Well I can't speak for others, but for me when I started from 1995 until 2010/11 things were stupid cheap except for a few stand out rarities that should be at that mark.  I don't like it, can't do crap about it, but it is annoying.  I had to let loose of most my stuff due to job/money issues a decade ago, so getting it back was fine until a few years back, now it's just infuriating going after the last few things not including manuals, just the games.  If that never happened I'd just ignore it or sell the stuff I didn't care about anymore to remove the price issue.  I find myself stuck in the middle of getting it and hating it and it just drags my interest down because it's like when I was a kid when the same people and behavior ruined my allowance spending on comics and baseball cards as they got obscene.  I have no pity for those complaining who got in to resell or those getting in now knowing how bad it is already.

Originally posted by: Trj22487

Bitch, Whine!
Bitch, Bitch, Whine!
Pout, Cry, and Complain!
Now Turn and Troll!

This really needs to be properly formatted using photoshop as it's perfect.

need to be a gif

Apr 13, 2014 at 8:48:01 PM
Tanooki (185)
Kentucky
Yeah animated, using a font matching the game and having that stuff going across as he dances around.

Apr 14, 2014 at 4:41:31 PM
ShyGuyMcFly83 (2)
(David Lara) < Meka Chicken >
Texas
Let's look at the other side of the coin. Is it annoying when people brag about the great deal they found at a flea market or garage sale? If we can't complain about high prices then we probably shouldn't be able to celebrate low prices either. It's all part of the hobby. If they want to complain, let them complain. Just don't listen. Personally, I really do hate hearing about people's great finds. Why can't it be me!!!!

Come check me out on Twitch
ShyguyMcFly83

I try to stream daily around 9:30 PM CST

Twitter:
ShyguyMcFly83

Apr 15, 2014 at 10:35:14 PM
dav3yb (39)
(david ) < Meka Chicken >
Mississippi
Originally posted by: dj5kjlara

Let's look at the other side of the coin. Is it annoying when people brag about the great deal they found at a flea market or garage sale? If we can't complain about high prices then we probably shouldn't be able to celebrate low prices either. It's all part of the hobby. If they want to complain, let them complain. Just don't listen. Personally, I really do hate hearing about people's great finds. Why can't it be me!!!!

Yeah, its kind of annoying, esp when no one in your area deals in used games... even the thrift stores never seem to have any around me.  I tried calling a few pawn shops and they acted like they never heard of nintendo... 

Apr 15, 2014 at 10:40:23 PM
teh lurv (118)
< King Solomon >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: dj5kjlara

Let's look at the other side of the coin. Is it annoying when people brag about the great deal they found at a flea market or garage sale?

No.

My son... gives me Helpful Nintendo Hints that are far too complex for the adult mind to comprehend. Here's a verbatim example: "OK, there's Ganon and miniature Ganon and there's these things like jelly beans and the miniature Ganon is more powerfuller, because when you touch him the flying eagles come down and the octopus shoots red rocks and the swamp takes longer." And the hell of it is, I know he's right. - Dave Barry