Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

MMA discussion thread

May 26, 2009 at 3:31:51 AM
xARSEFACEx (70)
(x AARON x) < Bowser >
Indiana
Got MMA news to share or questions to ask other forum members? Post up.

-------------------------
Currently Playing: L.A. Noire
Currently Listening: Tyler the Creator - Goblin
Currently Watching: Workaholics, 5 Deadly Venoms

Edited: 07/04/2011 at 05:55 PM by xARSEFACEx

May 26, 2009 at 3:19:25 PM
Johnny (155)
(Johnny Iucci) < El Ripper >
California
Did anyone see this? It would have been funny if it wasn't so sad.

~Listen to the Collector's Quest Podcast~
   https://itunes.apple.com/us/podca...
   https://soundcloud.com/collectors... 

May 26, 2009 at 3:28:35 PM
TheFrisbee (194)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Max (Ray) Frisbee) < Bowser >
Tennessee
yeah, had no idea what this was about.. but wow..

[18:07] osg: It is my lifelon goal to be in everyone's signature

Current project: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

May 26, 2009 at 3:43:02 PM
i2a2n2 (39)
(Ian B.) < Kraid Killer >
Ontario
just checked it out thanks frisbee for the link I thought that Canseco did pretty good within the first few seconds of the fight with that over hand right but in reality he lasted alot longer then he should have. my 2 cents

My NWC High Score 661 950  Jan 19th 2010

---------Wanted: SNES PROTOTYPES !!! PM Me-----------

May 26, 2009 at 3:45:54 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
I read the recap...it's really sad. The quotes from his manager are terrible..."he'll fight anybody I put in front of him..."

May 26, 2009 at 3:46:16 PM
!damage! (71)
(Dane .) < Kraid Killer >
Wisconsin
he should've never started kicking, he could've won if he trained longer for this fight

Dibin: I'm here for tits.

May 26, 2009 at 6:03:51 PM
xARSEFACEx (70)
(x AARON x) < Bowser >
Indiana
Basically the DREAM organization is bleeding money, and in Japan people eat up the freak show shit. If you have a legitimate interest in MMA, check out the Hideo Tokoro vs Abel Cullum fight from this event. It was amazing.

Also, what Sokoudjou did to Jan Nortje was complete bullshit. I'd be happy to not see that asshole fight for a long, long time.

Edited: 05/26/2009 at 06:06 PM by xARSEFACEx

May 26, 2009 at 6:33:51 PM
MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: xARSEFACEx

Also, what Sokoudjou did to Jan Nortje was complete bullshit. I'd be happy to not see that asshole fight for a long, long time.

Apparently he apologized to Jan immediately following their match and that most of the punches after the fact didn't land.  That being said, total bullshit move, I agree.

Amazing upsets in Dream 9 huh?  So many little guys pulling through in the Super Hulk tourney and Kid loses for the first time in like 6 years.  Crazy stuff...

Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

May 26, 2009 at 6:56:00 PM
xARSEFACEx (70)
(x AARON x) < Bowser >
Indiana
I thought Kid and JZ both looked rusty. I'd still like to see Yamamoto come stateside to take on some of the American featherweights.

I had really been looking forward to the Souza/Miller rematch. It's too bad it had to be stopped.

May 27, 2009 at 12:00:18 AM
DestructoDisk (117)
(Timothy Patrick Vreeland) < King Solomon >
Nevada
I didnt watch the whole thing. I have been very busy with work lately, so all I have watched lately is the Choi fight on yourtube, and the last ufc, I watched the Lyoto fight on youtube.

The Choi fight was great. To me it was just another fight proving to me that Choi is not a fighter at all. He simply wins because he is big. There is no reason at all he should have been hit square on the jaw several times by a baseball player. It was crazy, Jose was actually doing ok, and if he was stronger mentally he could have won. He kept turning his back and cowering away, when he was winning. Im sure though he was not used to absorbing some of the strikes Choi threw, and he probly went into the fight thinking he was a loser from the start.

The Lyoto fight went much as expected, though I wasnt sure Lyoto was going to get a KO. I knew he would dominate... I just didnt think he would finish. If Lyoto sticks to his style and doesnt listen to Daina about being a super exciting fighter going for the KO every fight, I think he will be a champion for a long time, even in a division that stacked. Dont see Rampage being able to deal with Lyotos strategies. Wandy and Chuck are both old, and have dropped down in the rankings, they are getting out classed by the young guns (Chuck looks like hes going to be retired for a while, maybe only come back for a retro dream match or something.). IMO Shogun still isnt the same as he was in pride. He looks terrible even in his win against Liddel. Jardine is too slow and sloppy for a Striker like Lyoto, and I dont think he will be able to bait him like Chuck. The only threat I see, is someone that can win a decision, via toe to toe banging, someone with a solid chin, a huge heart, someone that can trade and trade without gasing, Forest Griffon. It would be a close match. I think Forest is realising what he gave up, and hes gonna come back. Rashad is a great fighter, but I think he wont ever adapt his style, he looks the same in every fight. If he wants to come back he would have to make a massive overhaul.

May 27, 2009 at 12:17:12 AM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: dragonlunch

Jardine is too slow and sloppy for a Striker like Lyoto, and I dont think he will be able to bait him like Chuck. The only threat I see, is someone that can win a decision, via toe to toe banging, someone with a solid chin, a huge heart, someone that can trade and trade without gasing, Forest Griffon.

It's funny that you wrote off Jardine, then went on to list all of his strengths in the next sentence I'd love to see that fight. I'd like to see Machida Griffin too, don't get me wrong. But I've come to have a LOT more respect for Jardine after seeing more and more of him. I guess Zuffa gives him a lot of airtime. Mainly because his fights are always brutal, that guy takes some serious punishment and keeps on coming.  He looks and fights like a heavyweight in the LH division. Entertaining. I don't know if Lyoto has heavy enough hands to take him down.

May 27, 2009 at 3:25:42 AM
xARSEFACEx (70)
(x AARON x) < Bowser >
Indiana
^^^ What has Jardine done to warrant your faith in him, exactly? He's 4-4 in his last 8 and three of those 4 wins were by decision and two of them split to boot. The one great thing he ever did was TKO Griffin, but he's been on the receiving end of those type beatdowns more often than not. If you get knocked out by Houston Alexander, you don't beat Lyoto Machida.

May 27, 2009 at 8:42:13 AM
dangevin (219)
Pennsylvania
Houston got lucky, and everyone who saw that fight knows it. Every striker is going to have a win like that if they do it long enough. Anyways, I'm still curious to see that fight...kind of a "how many licks does it take" morbid curiosity

May 27, 2009 at 2:14:31 PM
xARSEFACEx (70)
(x AARON x) < Bowser >
Indiana
Originally posted by: dangevin

Houston got lucky, and everyone who saw that fight knows it. Every striker is going to have a win like that if they do it long enough.

Exactly. Jardine had one with Griffin.

May 27, 2009 at 3:11:00 PM
DestructoDisk (117)
Nevada
I dunno I just see Jardine as being one notch below the top LHWs and one notch above everyone else. He seems too akward to ever really be counted as the best. His style is his strength against the MMA crop, so many people cant deal with it. It also seems to be his weakness though, against the better fighters that easily adapt, and seem to punish him over and over, and exploit his akwardness. I think he will always be KOing people, but not doing it consistantly enough to carry the title. Then again there is nothing much consistant about the UFC LHW title.

May 27, 2009 at 5:15:14 PM
xARSEFACEx (70)
(x AARON x) < Bowser >
Indiana
Thoughts on over the hill Frank Trigg resigning with the UFC?

May 27, 2009 at 9:54:57 PM
DestructoDisk (117)
Nevada
Damn I didnt know he still had a contract with them. I thought he recently fought with someone else.

-edit.. nevermind I read that as "resigning", as in quiting.

Anyway, hes got personality, so he will bring in some cash. I dont think hes gonna shake uo the devision if hes gonna fight at welterweight again. Would be nice to see him take one more shot at Hughes. Even though he lost twice, the second time he almost won so many times, they look so close in skill i think both times it could have gone either way.

Edited: 05/27/2009 at 09:58 PM by DestructoDisk

May 28, 2009 at 11:17:37 AM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts

Damn I didnt know he still had a contract with them. I thought he recently fought with someone else.

-edit.. nevermind I read that as "resigning", as in quiting.

Anyway, hes got personality, so he will bring in some cash. I dont think hes gonna shake uo the devision if hes gonna fight at welterweight again. Would be nice to see him take one more shot at Hughes. Even though he lost twice, the second time he almost won so many times, they look so close in skill i think both times it could have gone either way.

I was at UFC 45 when Hughes and Trigg met for the first time.  It was my first live event, and it was definitely an interesting fight to watch.  Their second encounter is my favorite fight of all time.  Within seconds the fight completely changed.  Epic ending.

I wish Trigg stayed at MW.  He's been performing great outside of the UFC at that weight, and I think it's a more natural fit for him.  At WW he'll make for some interesting fights, but at MW I could honestly see him as a contender.  Just look at what Lawler has been doing outside of the UFC since his move to MW.  I see Trigg in a similar situation.  There's no way Trigg can climb the WW latter again.  Not in the UFC at least.

Stylistically, I think he would be a better match up for Silva than most at that weight in the UFC.  He has a fantastic Wrestling base with a strong chin.  He's great in the clinch and could possibly bring Anderson into his world better than most have.  I would put money on him or anything, but it would be interesting to watch.

Other fights at MW would be great like Franklin, Hendo, Nate, and others.  Lots of good matchups there.

May 28, 2009 at 5:30:10 PM
xARSEFACEx (70)
(x AARON x) < Bowser >
Indiana
^^^ I agree. I think Trigg jumping into the WW division in the UFC is going to be like jumping into a shark tank. There are just too many good young fighters in that weight class. Trigg has been fighting nobodies and over the hillers since he fought Lawler and I don't think he's going to be prepared when the UFC immediately throws him at some big WW names.

I saw this morning that Rampage and Rashad are going to coach the next season of TUF. Meh.

May 28, 2009 at 9:24:54 PM
DestructoDisk (117)
Nevada
So who are they throwing Lyoto against? Or are we gonna have to wait a year?

or maybe they will throw it up to the winner of Silva Griffin?

Edited: 05/28/2009 at 09:29 PM by DestructoDisk

May 28, 2009 at 9:55:54 PM
dangevin (219)
Pennsylvania
I was just daydreaming and wondered what kind of stuff beats The Spider. This is pretty sweet, great coverage too. I gotta start watching more Pride.

May 28, 2009 at 10:06:55 PM
xARSEFACEx (70)
(x AARON x) < Bowser >
Indiana
I've got almost every Pride event on dvd. I can probably burn or lend you some events if you'd like them.

May 28, 2009 at 10:09:26 PM
xARSEFACEx (70)
(x AARON x) < Bowser >
Indiana

So who are they throwing Lyoto against? Or are we gonna have to wait a year?

or maybe they will throw it up to the winner of Silva Griffin?

The article I read about Rampage and Evans being the coaches said that Rampage preferred a fight against Evans over Machida and that Shogun wad the likely choice for the next title fight.

May 28, 2009 at 10:20:35 PM
dangevin (219)
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: xARSEFACEx

I've got almost every Pride event on dvd. I can probably burn or lend you some events if you'd like them.

Now that I've got a dedicated Limewire slave computer (that was my solution to my crashing hard drive - move fileshare off!) I think I'll just punch up some torrents. Very cool of you to offer though, man. After I'm done with the rest of UFC98 (yes, I skipped ahead to the main event lol) I'll see what I can see.

May 29, 2009 at 12:57:50 AM
Shags (65)
(--- Ben ---) < El Ripper >
Alaska
I should take a pic of my mma dvd collection, it has grown tremendously since the last one a took