Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Snes 50/60HZ mod tutorial Its a lot easier than it seems...

Mar 31, 2013 at 9:27:19 AM
Nintendo16 (0)

(nintendo16 wth) < Cherub >
England
Three days ago, I opened up my broken super nintendo. The 1.5 amp pico fuse had blown, and i just soldered a piece of metal to make the connection.

After testing it, the snes worked. But I decided to do the "50/60hz" mod. (This allows for ntsc games to work on a pal system, and vice versa)

After completing this mod, I thought....
"This isnt that hard to do. Why do all the tutorials make this seem complicated?"

Well, I decided to do a step-by-step tutorial, to make it easier for begginers to understand.
I know there are already guides out there, but the ones I had found werent easy to follow. (Well, im not saying mines any better, I just Seemed to find mine made more sense then the others I had seen on the web.

WARNING - This mod is at one risk, any possible damage created by following this tutorial isnt my fault. Opening your console ALWAYS warrants a risk.

Also, discharge your system before opening. Turn the on switch on and off before opening to discharge any power in your system.

STEP 1-

Open your super nintendo console. I bought my screwdriver at maplin, in a set for £13.

STEP 2-

Unscrew all screws on board, remove the off switch, and then remove the board from the case.

STEP 3-

Once you have your board removed, try and find the "O G I" markings at the back. Its the super nintendo regulator.

STEP 4-

You need a soldering iron, and some wire. Cut 2 pieces of thin wire, and solder one to "O", and one to "G".

Like so. (Excuse the crappy diagrams..."

Step 5-

Now here is where it gets trickier.

See "PPU1 and PPU2"?

On PPU1, we have to lift pin 24. I did this by using a very small needle. Count 6 from the 30 mark.
On PPU2, we have to lift pin 30. Same as before, except its slightly easier as its at the end of the row.

We now need to use a tiny bit of solder. I recomend placing a bit of electrical tape under the raised pins.
Carefully, solder a piece of wire to the pin. If possible, use a glue gun to keep to re-enforce it.
Do this for both pins.

STEP 6-

The region lock chip, is located in different places depending on you model of snes.

The red indicates the fourth pin. Because I want to play only american and japanese games. (Space Megaforce, NTSC.) Just cut the fourth pin! But theres a chance some later pal games wont work now. (They NEED the lockout chip)

Step 7-

I didnt have any three pinned switches. I used a potentiometer (Drill a small hole in the side of the console, so you can poke the thepotentiometer through.)

Wire it like so-

Really, I should use a 3 pinned switch, but I tried to do this within 3 hours, and didnt want to go searching for a switch. If using a 3 pinned switch, the wiring is exactly the same for the 3 wires..

STEP 8-

Put the board back in the snes casing, but wait - American games are a diiferent shape!!!
I broke the case to my snes, (it fell on the floor and cracked...") so, I just use it with no top bit. (Its not the safest option, but its my only.
If you have a dremel, you could make the plastic at the top wider to fit american carts.

If you wired everything up right, (and cut the 4th leg of the lockout) when wired up to a tv, you should be able to play a american cart on your pal snes. (note - when you change the potentiometer position, the screen size should change, and the game speed should change.

I know this isnt the nicest way of explaining this, but hopefully, this should help someone.
Im sorry for the crappy quality of the diagrams. I had to use paint, and used the touchpad on my
laptop.

Edited: 03/31/2013 at 02:35 PM by Nintendo16