New Forum Name POLL

LOCKED TOPIC

Oct 11 at 11:56:31 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: ne$_pimp

Originally posted by: B.A.

Google Purple Ganon and see the first thing that pops up. It's the urban dictionary definition. If we named the site Purpleganon we would either be right below or above that link to Urban Dictionary. It would turn a lot of people off from the site.

That definition was submitted by a long time member here lol.

Doesn't matter where it came from, it's going to be hard to shake it off if you want a new forum to be taken seriously.

Oct 11 at 12:05:39 PM
Boosted52405 (487)
(Eric Bizzle) < Bowser >
Iowa
Originally posted by: Gloves

Originally posted by: Boosted52405

Curious what the rush is and/or if there is a deadline when a name needs finalized?

Three days seems a bit rushed to me, just talking out loud a bit - I agree the suggestions/options so far are a bit casual/wacky.

Wish I was better at thinking outside the box. Video Game Collector Community (VGCC) seems more prestigious, despite being taken, I suggest something more prominent like this.

There's no deadline, nor any rush. Not sure where people are getting the impression there is a rush? We just wanted to gauge interest in a short list of names we kinda dig. We have plenty time to go back to the well.
That's good there is time, not trying to stir a pot  .  To clarify where I am getting the rushed impression...we first heard about this new site I believe 1 week ago - 10/4.  A new thread was opened to get ideas on names on Tues 10/8, which now is locked, and now there is a POLL thread going on a subset of names...may we note all this name stuff during a busy work week.

-------------------------

Oct 11 at 12:23:15 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Originally posted by: Quaze

Originally posted by: DefaultGen

I don't like any of them   Lots of stores/websites/communities already exist with terms like 1up, Level Up, Retro, etc. I like when game sites have a stronger identity like Giant Bomb or Polygon. Just my 2c.

Hit it right on the head. I can't even look at those terms anymore without cringing a bit. Every youtube channel, every website, every store, "1up" this and "Pixel" that. Something totally original would be way better. Not that anything I'd think up would ever be in contention, but I know we can do better than what's up there. I'm not drawn to those names at all, quite the opposite.

Huh. It would be great to have a name like Giant Bomb, that isn't overtly about video games, a forum, etc. (maybe it has some meaning that I don't know about?) Then we don't have to worry about "excluding" people who don't collect, people who play disc-based games, people who like newer games, etc.

Nobody goes through the internet, deciding which websites to visit, based on the URL alone. The name doesn't have to "reflect" what we do on the site.

We'll never be able to agree on a meaningless name though, lol. Here are some randomly generated adjective-noun and noun-noun combos:
Panda Bone
Jolly Forgery
Black Pizza
Local Pollution
Upper Unit
Math Country
Egg Deposit
Vast Emphasis

I was tempted to throw Purple Ganon in there

Oct 11 at 12:39:15 PM
ZeldaFreak (36)
(Conor ) < Lolo Lord >
Missouri
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

New UD definition submitted. If it gets through, up and downvote away

Nice, I do hope it goes through. I'm also curious if there's a way to remove definitions from Ubran Dictionary. Most of us seem to like the name, it's just that UD definition that's putting people off, and while it is funny and all, I do wonder if it'd be for the best for it be removed if the new site was named that. I admit I don't know much about how UD works, but if there's a way to remove it or to contant an admin or something and request to have it removed, then I feel like that would pretty much seal the deal on the most liked name currently in the running.

Former NES Sharp TV Owner

Oct 11 at 12:43:06 PM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: Splain

We'll never be able to agree on a meaningless name though, lol. Here are some randomly generated adjective-noun and noun-noun combos:
Panda Bone
Jolly Forgery
Black Pizza
Local Pollution
Upper Unit
Math Country
Egg Deposit
Vast Emphasis

I was tempted to throw Purple Ganon in there

Dude, Upper Unit. Gotta lean into the elitist collector stereotype. Most of these are great bad band names. Did you get the new Panda Bone record?

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Edited: 10/11/2019 at 12:46 PM by DefaultGen

Oct 11 at 12:49:48 PM
Br81zad (97)
( Beck) < Bowser >
Kentucky
Panda Bone.... I like it

Oct 11 at 12:52:48 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: ZeldaFreak

New UD definition submitted. If it gets through, up and downvote away

Nice, I do hope it goes through. I'm also curious if there's a way to remove definitions from Ubran Dictionary. Most of us seem to like the name, it's just that UD definition that's putting people off, and while it is funny and all, I do wonder if it'd be for the best for it be removed if the new site was named that. I admit I don't know much about how UD works, but if there's a way to remove it or to contant an admin or something and request to have it removed, then I feel like that would pretty much seal the deal on the most liked name currently in the running.

I already looked into it since I was hoping we could have Bass remove it. Bit it's in UDs hands and I don't like the odds of an appeal.

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Oct 11 at 1:04:17 PM
Boosted52405 (487)
(Eric Bizzle) < Bowser >
Iowa
If we refer to VG or Gaming generically for video games, we could really open the door for anything video game related (all brands, arcades, pinballs, speedrunning, contests etc).

Some rough ideas:
VGFanatics
GamingFanatics
GamingCave
GamingCove
VGParadise
GamingParadise
VGPortal
GamingPortal
GamingRetreat
GamingHeadquarters
GamingCC (Collector Community)
VGStompingGround

Oct 11 at 1:09:47 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
It's not about Urban Dictionary. Purple Ganon already has only one definition. If you look back at the thread about the guy who was tricked into thinking he had a rare Zelda cart where Ganon is purple, you can see by the comments that it only ever meant one thing. Hilarious thread, but an Urban Dictionary entry means nothing. Someone will join and say "lol why is it called Purple Ganon?" and people will give the same answers they do here, inside joke about dicks and all. I'm ok if the name is Purple Ganon, but don't think the UD page is the thing that keeps others from liking it.

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

"Wow that's amazing. If you don't want it you can give me a purple ganon. XD "
"make sure you post a picture of your purple gannon! "
"A little off topic: Does anyone think the dead battery will hurt the price of a Purple Gannon? If I'm getting a Purple Gannon, I certainly want it to be fully functioning from start to finish. "

Oct 11 at 1:14:46 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
I'm with fox. I think all of the video game word salad names suck balls.

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak

Oct 11 at 1:18:06 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >

It's not about Urban Dictionary."

I think it is though. People seem primarily embarrassed that it's the top hit. Which is why one solution is dislodging it.

Oct 11 at 1:28:40 PM
ZeldaFreak (36)
(Conor ) < Lolo Lord >
Missouri

I think it is though. People seem primarily embarrassed that it's the top hit. Which is why one solution is dislodging it.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that honestly IS the main thing for most people. That's the only thing that would allow newcomers to readily know what it even means.

Oct 11 at 1:36:50 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that honestly IS the main thing for most people. That's the only thing that would allow newcomers to readily know what it even means.

But it already means that thing. If it didn't mean that thing, we wouldn't even be talking about it. The plan is to all agree never to speak the definition?

Oct 11 at 1:37:54 PM
____________ (15)

< Crack Trooper >
Kwajalein State
yoshiscookie.com
superscope6.com
samusisagirl.com
iszeldatheboy.com
koopatroopas.com

Oct 11 at 1:40:29 PM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
The Purple Ganon site name is being a little over thought here. It's a joke. I'm sure most folks don't really want it to be the name that bad. The though behind it is that it's an inside joke and members he voting that name only are doing so because it's relatable to them as Nintendo Age members.
A Pruple Ganon vote is for folks that just want to move the existing community to another site.
A vote for a different name more serious name is, a vote to attract new collectors and gamers. A fresh start.

Playas Guide Logo

Oct 11 at 2:12:50 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >

The Purple Ganon site name is being a little over thought here. It's a joke. I'm sure most folks don't really want it to be the name that bad. The though behind it is that it's an inside joke and members he voting that name only are doing so because it's relatable to them as Nintendo Age members.
A Pruple Ganon vote is for folks that just want to move the existing community to another site.
A vote for a different name more serious name is, a vote to attract new collectors and gamers. A fresh start.

It's not just a joke and reference. Its memorable, and lurid.

The word salad names are lost in the crowd. Biteless. Plain.

Oct 11 at 2:12:59 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
From the Giant Bomb wikipedia article:

"In the process of deciding on the name for the website, over seventy different domain names were considered. Gerstmann wanted the website name to be catchy and original, saying there were too many video game websites with the word "game" in them."

Oct 11 at 2:14:51 PM
ZeldaFreak (36)
(Conor ) < Lolo Lord >
Missouri

But it already means that thing. If it didn't mean that thing, we wouldn't even be talking about it. The plan is to all agree never to speak the definition?

No, people seem to be thinking that if someone knows what the term means before they join the site that it might alienate them, which frankly I don't really think would happen anyway, but if it did, if they were already a part of the community then by that point I don't think they'd care about the meaning of some stupid inside joke.

And yeah, that is what it means, but if the UD definition wasn't there, it'd go from a term who's definition is readily available to just an inside joke among the community.

Oct 11 at 2:21:53 PM
ZeldaFreak (36)
(Conor ) < Lolo Lord >
Missouri

It's not just a joke and reference. Its memorable, and lurid. The word salad names are lost in the crowd. Biteless. Plain.

I mean it IS a joke to be fair, but it actually would be a good name in addition to being an in-joke among everyone, not just because it's a jokey reference to the previous site. Also, while I totally see where you're coming from with a new name being a vote to attract newer people and the ganon one just attracting the same community, I think pretty much no matter what the name is it'll probably attract around the same amount of new members regardless, so at least for me personally this is less about concerns on whether or not people would be alienated or if people would like it at first glance, it's more for me about deciding on a name that's memorable and related to the hobby in some way, while not being overly generic, which if that damned definition of it never came to be, Purple Ganon would be exactly that.

Oct 11 at 2:22:49 PM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
I think Purple Ganon is the most distinctive so far, just 2 simple words that aren't genericly gamey. Even if the name doesn't mean anything to someone, the logo would speak for itself. The biggest weakness is probably that Ganon has two spellings (Gannon/Ganon) as you can tell from people just typing it in this thread.

I did check and for just $8.99 it could be CornballCocksuckers.com. Kidding aside, I've had a hard time thinking of good names as well.

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Edited: 10/11/2019 at 02:23 PM by DefaultGen

Oct 11 at 2:41:03 PM
punch-out!!84 (26)
(Mac ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois

It's not just a joke and reference. Its memorable, and lurid. The word salad names are lost in the crowd. Biteless. Plain.

It's shit and a reference to an old joke that wasn't even that funny in the first place.

Come up with a less generic name sure, but's he's spot on about the connotation. Additionally, it perpetuates the sterotype about this place being an elitist circle jerk.  

Oct 11 at 2:44:24 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Are we trying to pretend that Purple Ganon doesn't mean anything? No, its meaning is exactly why it has legs. I'm fine if it gets picked, but we mostly agree that if the definition were readily available, it would turn people away. That means we're purposefully planning to be secretive about the name, so that when new people join and say "haha, why Purple Ganon?" we can all say "idk lol" and then give each other high-fives and purple ganons while we giggle about our inside joke. Cool community.

If we're forthcoming about the joke, it will 100% find its way back to UD.

Oct 11 at 2:59:56 PM
Kid Dracula (92)
(AP ) < Lolo Lord >
Nova Scotia
I like cartsandconsoles the best out of those options but think we can do better. I can't think of much myself.

BossRush.com
BatteriesNotIncluded.com

Oct 11 at 3:01:39 PM
Boosted52405 (487)
(Eric Bizzle) < Bowser >
Iowa
Originally posted by: Kid Dracula

I like cartsandconsoles the best out of those options but think we can do better. I can't think of much myself.

BossRush.com
BatteriesNotIncluded.com
Oooh I like that one

Oct 11 at 3:01:42 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Originally posted by: punch-out!!84
  Come up with a less generic name sure

Well then let's hear it