Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Nesrulers Contest presents:MEGA MAN!!!! Ends next sunday 2/7 at 9 o clock!!!

Feb 1, 2010 at 11:28:34 AM
the tall guy (130)
(Randy the Astonishing) < Bowser >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: jonebone

Well the reason that point racking was trumped in Contra was because the game infinitely loops. In Mega Man, you beat it and it is done.

Also, is it even possible to replay stages? I thought that once you beat a level, it is done for good? I'm pretty sure it is that way on all of the later Mega Mans, but it has been awhile since I tried the first.

Nah, in the first MM you can replay levels (I think that was necessary given the magnet beam weapon thing you can only pick up in Elecmans level after you've defeated Gutsman). 

So long as we aren't replaying levels, I think it's fine. 

-------------------------

"Meeting internet dudes is what being a dude on the internet is all about!"  ~OSG 

Feb 1, 2010 at 11:53:30 AM
Herbalist (139)
(Bill Brasky) < King Solomon >
Wisconsin
The point farming situation is quite a bit easier in this game.
Its one thing when you have to run around dodging to get your points, but Ive found spots where you can just stand in one spot and rack up points without even looking at the screen.
This should definitely be an interesting contest.

Feb 1, 2010 at 12:04:10 PM
chupaskabra (88)
(Antonio Valdez) < El Ripper >
Texas
i wish i hadnt just picked up a new game for my wii, if i get some spare time im definitely participating this week!

Feb 1, 2010 at 1:05:19 PM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
(Jorge Juarez) < King Solomon >
Mexico
bah, I got 250,000 points on the Powerpak, but didn't have a camera at hand, and with FCEUX and a Sidewinder controller, I just can't...

Feb 1, 2010 at 1:29:53 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
^ How far was that? How many stages did you have to beat to get to that mark?

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Feb 1, 2010 at 1:42:21 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Originally posted by: Herbalist

The point farming situation is quite a bit easier in this game.
Its one thing when you have to run around dodging to get your points, but Ive found spots where you can just stand in one spot and rack up points without even looking at the screen.
This should definitely be an interesting contest.

I don't know, but this sounds like a paradox to me Herb.

Either way, I'm okay with whatever the players want to do.

Let's say there's a reason why only the first Mega Man got a score, because it does not really fit with the game. Some games are score based, other are time based.

Edited: 02/01/2010 at 01:42 PM by guillavoie

Feb 1, 2010 at 2:18:27 PM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
Mexico
Originally posted by: jonebone

^ How far was that? How many stages did you have to beat to get to that mark?

I beat cutman and gutsman, was in the middle of Iceman's. Let me try again with the emulator, I think I got it now.

Feb 1, 2010 at 2:27:10 PM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
Mexico
CALI...FORNIA....!!!

Edited: 02/01/2010 at 02:48 PM by buttheadrulesagain

Feb 1, 2010 at 2:31:28 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Bah, I just got done playing Mega Man last week and now I have to play it again   Seriously, this is going to be a fun contest.  I LOVE Mega Man and I'm starting to get better at the game.  As for point farming, Jeremy didn't ban it, so I guess it's okay.  If I have to point farm in this game, it will be to get health power-ups and not to run my score up to five million.  I wouldn't have the patience to point rack just to get points because I find it boring as hell.  To me, I will feel better about my score and feel like I accomplished something if I persevere through the game rather than rack up my score in Cutman's stage killing those little red eyeball things for 5 hours.  Just my thoughts on the matter.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Feb 1, 2010 at 2:47:14 PM
Crabmaster2000 (59)
(K P) < Lolo Lord >
British Columbia
I've already beaten this twice this year. I'm so looking forward to beating it again now!!

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/2000C...

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:

http://rfgenerationcollectorcast....
677/677 Licensed NES Games
94/94 TG16 Games

Feb 1, 2010 at 2:49:45 PM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
Mexico
now I got through Gutsman, Cutman, and up to Iceman, 253000something points, put it in my past post.

Edited: 02/01/2010 at 02:50 PM by buttheadrulesagain

Feb 1, 2010 at 4:14:04 PM
removed-07-06-2016 (214)

< Bowser >
Other
^You beat all three of those without dying even once?! Hell of an accomplishment. I always get nailed at least once in Iceman's stage, and sometimes twice . Gutsman is fairly easy if you're patient and have good timing with the damn moving platforms.

Feb 1, 2010 at 4:24:24 PM
the tall guy (130)
Tennessee
Originally posted by: nesguy

^You beat all three of those without dying even once?! Hell of an accomplishment. I always get nailed at least once in Iceman's stage, and sometimes twice . Gutsman is fairly easy if you're patient and have good timing with the damn moving platforms.

When I was little I could NEVER get those right.  I remember how excited I was the first time I made it past them.

"Meeting internet dudes is what being a dude on the internet is all about!"  ~OSG 

Feb 1, 2010 at 5:03:34 PM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
Mexico
Originally posted by: nesguy

Oh, I haven't beat Iceman, I got to fight him and hit him up to 3/4 of his lifebar. Who worries me is elecman : /

Feb 1, 2010 at 5:12:39 PM
etijsma (33)

(---- -----) < Eggplant Wizard >
Ohio

291600 points - 2nd try

all this talk and no pictures i went thru bombman and died in guts man.. i think. the reason why i said i think is because i continued on and got to dr wily's evil one eyed block man. i couldnt figure out what to do so i turned it off.

Edited: 02/01/2010 at 05:20 PM by etijsma

Feb 1, 2010 at 6:08:27 PM
scaryice (115)
(scary ice) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

If people want to point rack they can.  But I still say they're sissies for doing it.

The problem is that this kind of thing needs to be considered when picking games.

WTB/WTTF - Famicom carts (54 needed):

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Feb 1, 2010 at 6:20:47 PM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
Originally posted by: scaryice

If people want to point rack they can.  But I still say they're sissies for doing it.

The problem is that this kind of thing needs to be considered when picking games.

The thing about that would be, why? Why give the Contest selection committee any harder of a time?

Nesruler started this for fun, He's done a great thing and starting on Jan 1 this year I've been playing in every contest, why should people have to worry about others racking up points.  This is for fun, A skilled played will get more points from playing the game then racking up points..  I dunno just my thoughts about this. 

I really think this game is perfect for this.. I haven't played Megaman is over 15 years and it's got my playing it.  It's fun, isn't that what the contest is supposed to be?  FUN

Feb 1, 2010 at 6:23:25 PM
Airlock (19)
(- Gordon -) < El Ripper >
Indiana
Originally posted by: dr.robbie

^ sissies with way too much free time. point racking takes a LOT of time. I'm just hoping the dominators still pull out on top. I'm guessing (and hoping) the main bosses give HUGE points

I believe the point rewards for bosses are random, so there will be an element of luck involved there.

Edit: Yep... first time through Cutman gave me 90K, on second attempt 50K.

Edited: 02/01/2010 at 06:49 PM by Airlock

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:06:24 PM
carnold1103 (0)
(charles arnold) < Tourian Tourist >
Ohio
is there a set or some thing the further you get the higher your scoring on enemies gets... i thought i read that somewere or i was drunk one or the other. can someone confirm for me

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:07:38 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: PSerge

Originally posted by: scaryice

The thing about that would be, why? Why give the Contest selection committee any harder of a time?

Nesruler started this for fun, He's done a great thing and starting on Jan 1 this year I've been playing in every contest, why should people have to worry about others racking up points.  This is for fun, A skilled played will get more points from playing the game then racking up points..  I dunno just my thoughts about this. 

I really think this game is perfect for this.. I haven't played Megaman is over 15 years and it's got my playing it.  It's fun, isn't that what the contest is supposed to be?  FUN

Paul is correct.  The point of the contest is FUN. 

I don't think it sounds like very much fun to be a panty-waist and rack points

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:09:42 PM
the tall guy (130)
Tennessee
Originally posted by: carnold1103

is there a set or some thing the further you get the higher your scoring on enemies gets... i thought i read that somewere or i was drunk one or the other. can someone confirm for me

I can confirm Dr. Wily will give you 200k if you beat him, so at least in that regard, yes, the farther you go the more points you will recieve.

I'll have to get this one out soon, been a good while since I've played it. 

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:13:24 PM
Airlock (19)
Indiana
My Best Score: 1,319,900

First score: 271,200

Kinda weird stopping to pick up red dots and completely disregarding 1ups. 

I know this isn't squat (and has already been bested prior to this posting), but here's 271,200. No point farming, no life farming. Cutman and Bombman down, fell in a lava pit because of a stupid falling fire guy mixed with a fire column just past the area where it respawned me here (had to take the pic quick before dying again just standing there!)

Screen: [deleted]

I paid for the refusal to life farm on the previous try... elecman killed me, helped out by the jumping robot right before his lair (which really freaking hurts!) but it's just too unnatural to farm. I found myself passing up red dots a lot too. Have to concentrate on that more.

Second score: 478,500 (adjusted)

Cutman, Gutsman, Elecman, and Bombman down. Killed by falling from those stupid platforms that shoot bullets out of their ears near the end of the Iceman stage. Those things have always been my downfall!

Edit: Just realized I had to kill the robot in the bottom of this pool prior to taking the shot to capture the score, so I subtracted the 200 points that this kill awarded from my official score. Sorry folks, I just couldn't let megaman stand there and get pounded while I try to get a good shot.

Third score: 625,300

All robot masters down. Got killed by the orange guy. It's been a while since I've fought him, and I forgot his patterns initially. I also forgot how brutal the first Wily stage is! It takes a lot out of ya.

Fourth score: 727,800

Good points for robot masters this time. A few 90K rewards. One 100K reward. Caught on video. Got to the orange guy with one HP, due to a couple of bad run-ins with the jumping robots at the beginning of Wily 1. Orange guy killed me again, of course!

Fifth score: 1,008,000

Crappy points for pretty much all of the bosses. Made it to Wily with about 4 ticks on my health. Had him down to one tick until his second form, but then he hit me with a single pellet and killed me. Just about killed the orange guy without getting hit at all, but he hit me once. Clone is no longer a problem. Again, I got this on video but I'm pretty determined to 1 life this biotch now!

Sixth score: 1,319,900

Whoo-hoo! Finally beat this game with 1 life and no enemy farming. I got it on video and I'll post it to the thread once I process it. Total time was around 36 minutes, not counting the credits. Didn't have my memory card in my camera during the crucial moment after beating Wily, but snapped this right after the credits after re-entering the Wily stage for the purpose of capturing the score.

--------------------

Here's my video if anyone cares to watch it... I forgot that Wily only hit me once (and it was a cheap shot because I couldn't move at the time). In the end, I had to make up for my problem with Fireman by getting better at Wily instead. At least his attacks are avoidable. 

Edited: 05/31/2012 at 01:46 AM by Airlock

Feb 1, 2010 at 8:16:37 PM
Airlock (19)
Indiana
updated score above

Edited: 02/02/2010 at 12:38 AM by Airlock

Feb 1, 2010 at 8:44:09 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Meh, I just wanted to get a minimum participation score so I guess I accomplished that. Probably played for about an hour or so?

So I took down Gutsman no damage. Took down Bomb Man no damage, then Cutsman was interesting. I go in there and try to hit him with both of the rocks, completely miss on both, lol. So he's kicking my ass and I'm down to 6 bars while he has full life. I calm down and serve him an ass whoopin, though I beat him with only 2 bars of life.

Go to Elect man's stage and that hopping fucker before the boss part killed me. I had about half life going into it and he accidentally knocked me off so I had to climb back up. This time I only had a quarter life, so when he hit me he killed me.

No real farming, though I did kill a few extra moving "eye" blocks on Cutmans stage because I wanted life. Of course they didn't give me any so then I decided to move on after killing about 2 extra screens of them.

Edit to add:  The girl has class again on Wednesday night so that'll be the next time I can game.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Edited: 02/01/2010 at 08:45 PM by jonebone

Feb 1, 2010 at 9:06:47 PM
Airlock (19)
Indiana
updated score above

Edited: 02/02/2010 at 12:39 AM by Airlock