Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

The Powerpak thread Links, Incompatibility list, Mappers, Tips, Troubleshooting, Downloads

Dec 29, 2015 at 5:55:21 PM
E-Man (36)
(Emanuel Flores) < Meka Chicken >
Texas
I downloaded the new PowerMappers from last year to my NES PowerPak but I noticed I can't save states like before. Am I doing something wrong or am I missing something?

Can anyone help?

-------------------------

Now Playing:

NES - Journey to Silius
SNES -
GameBoy -
N64 -
SEGA Genesis - Earthworm Jim
PS4 - Final Fantasy XV
Wii / Wii U - Sin & Punishment: Star Successor

Edited: 12/29/2015 at 05:55 PM by E-Man

Dec 29, 2015 at 8:44:16 PM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
(Jorge Juarez) < King Solomon >
Mexico
Originally posted by: E-Man

I downloaded the new PowerMappers from last year to my NES PowerPak but I noticed I can't save states like before. Am I doing something wrong or am I missing something?

Can anyone help?

It works very different from savestate mappers. You have to get special files now (slot files), old savestate files don't work, You can download everything from the 1st post (section 4), the Powermappers combo. Now you gotta 1. select the game, 2. select a slot file, 3. press start+select to bring up the Powermapper menu.

Jan 2, 2016 at 10:02:29 PM
AshenLight (0)

(Dark Star) < Cherub >
Washington
Does anyone know how/if the Powerpak handles games (seems to be rom hacks in particular) with custom palettes? If there's a .pal file accompanying them, where to put it and how to make the Powerpak read from it?

Thanks!

Jan 3, 2016 at 3:05:21 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
Originally posted by: AshenLight

Does anyone know how/if the Powerpak handles games (seems to be rom hacks in particular) with custom palettes? If there's a .pal file accompanying them, where to put it and how to make the Powerpak read from it?

Thanks!
Unless someone creates a custom PPU chip to go with the custom game, no. Even if they did, then every other game would have scrambled/wrong colors. NES 56-color palette cannot be modified.

Maybe the Game Tech HDMI-NES could pull it off with custom firmware (you can select different color presets), but I doubt they would support it.

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Edited: 01/03/2016 at 03:07 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Mar 20, 2016 at 8:21:07 AM
Trebor (0)
< Cherub >
Florida
Originally posted by: AshenLight

Thanks!

You may be interested in reading up on this thread, "Is there a way to permanently replace an NES ROM's palette with a .pal?"

A *.pal file accompanying a ROM image is not just changing the colors seen for just that specific game; rather, it is changing the colors seen under an emulator when simulating the NES video output for a given set of values.

An equivalent act (Applying a *.pal file under real hardware) would be modifying the output palette of the console.  It would not just change the palette of one game.  As stardust stated, it would mean installing a custom PPU chip.

Edited: 03/20/2016 at 08:26 AM by Trebor

Apr 1, 2016 at 8:08:07 PM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
can anyone upload whatever mapper sets were used for the bundles on the first page? I'm guessing it was powermappers v20 for the recommended bundle and ? for the alternate bundle. I'm building an app to identify which version of each .map file you have on your powerpak and need sources for those and any others not mentioned here.

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Apr 9, 2016 at 9:32:52 PM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
Mexico
Originally posted by: Lincoln

can anyone upload whatever mapper sets were used for the bundles on the first page? I'm guessing it was powermappers v20 for the recommended bundle and ? for the alternate bundle. I'm building an app to identify which version of each .map file you have on your powerpak and need sources for those and any others not mentioned here.

quoted from 1st post "For maximum compatibility and features, first install the 1.35 b2 mappers. After that, copy loopy's newest mappers (both the main mappers and the mmc5), then the power mappers as well as the NWC mapper fix and intro fix. That should give you benefits of all mappers! Or just download this file and place its contents in the root directory of your CF card. ". That's the order in which I copied them

Humm, powermapper version? I don't recall, it was whatever version was the latest before thefox's site crashed and was offline (dunno if he ever opened a new one, old one is still down), some time ago.

Edited: 04/09/2016 at 09:38 PM by buttheadrulesagain

Apr 9, 2016 at 9:34:15 PM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
Mexico
nvm

Edited: 04/09/2016 at 09:37 PM by buttheadrulesagain

Apr 16, 2016 at 4:39:36 AM
Dr Manhattan (2)
< Tourian Tourist >
California
Hey everyone. I am planning to purchase the EverDriive N8 in the coming weeks. I've been reading up on the product online, and trying to do my homework the best that I can. With that said, does anyone have any advice for a first time buyer? Anything you can tell me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Apr 16, 2016 at 7:25:58 PM
thefox (0)
(Kalle Immonen) < Meka Chicken >
Finland
Originally posted by: buttheadrulesagain

Humm, powermapper version? I don't recall, it was whatever version was the latest before thefox's site crashed and was offline (dunno if he ever opened a new one, old one is still down), some time ago.
The version number is displayed in the Start+Select menu. The latest version is available at https://kkfos.aspekt.fi/...

Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: kkfos.aspekt.fi

Apr 16, 2016 at 9:12:09 PM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
Mexico
Originally posted by: thefox

The version number is displayed in the Start+Select menu. The latest version is available at https://kkfos.aspekt.fi/

Thanks man. I was able to open your site with Firefox, but no luck with Chrome or IE.

Apr 16, 2016 at 9:59:38 PM
thefox (0)
Finland

The version number is displayed in the Start+Select menu. The latest version is available at https://kkfos.aspekt.fi/

Thanks man. I was able to open your site with Firefox, but no luck with Chrome or IE.
Hmm, what operating system do you use?

Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: kkfos.aspekt.fi

Apr 16, 2016 at 10:15:33 PM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
Mexico

Only the newest stuff, Windows XP of course! :v . Yeah, that's no joke.

Apr 16, 2016 at 10:19:47 PM
thefox (0)
Finland

Only the newest stuff, Windows XP of course! :v . Yeah, that's no joke.

OK. The HTTPS certificate of the site is the cause, there are some compatibility problems with Windows XP. Might be able to fix that in the future (or maybe I should just disable encryption, since it's pretty useless on my small site anyways.)

Apr 16, 2016 at 11:29:17 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: Dr Manhattan

Hey everyone. I am planning to purchase the EverDriive N8 in the coming weeks. I've been reading up on the product online, and trying to do my homework the best that I can. With that said, does anyone have any advice for a first time buyer? Anything you can tell me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I bought the PowerPak in 2009ish when if first came out and found it very useful. I also have the Famicom Everdrive and Super Everdrive. However both the NES and SNES PowerPaks require you to manually create the SAV files whereas the NES and SNES Everdrives do this by default. I don't play a lot of NES games that require saves, but if you plan on playing a lot of 8-bit RPG games, the PowerPak's lack of autosave could get annoying.

To me, the autosave feature on the Everdrive is pretty much the bees knees. I don't want to keep up with shuffling save files. That said, the NES PowerPak runs NWC mapper and a couple others the Everdrive doesn't, but Everdrive plays more obscure Famicom mappers.

Also the PowerPak has a built in NSF player and more accurate expansion audio with the default mappers. that said, there are newer third party VRC6 (Castlevania III Famicom version) and Sunsoft FME-7 (Mr Gimmick) mappers for Everdrive with more accurate expansion sound. Both also have third party MMC5 mappers capable of running NES Castlevania III but which fail on other MMC5 games.

Both NES flash carts are limited to 512kbyte PRG and 512kbyte CHR. Both also play FDS files and support Game Genie, but again the PowerPak expansion channel audio is more accurate. Overall, the Everdrive seems to be a more updated and user friendly solution. The Famicom version of the Everdrive will get expansion sound without modifying the console if you own a Famicom.

Apr 17, 2016 at 10:11:55 PM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
Mexico
Originally posted by: Kosmic StarDust

Originally posted by: Dr Manhattan

I bought the PowerPak in 2009ish when if first came out and found it very useful. I also have the Famicom Everdrive and Super Everdrive. However both the NES and SNES PowerPaks require you to manually create the SAV files whereas the NES and SNES Everdrives do this by default. I don't play a lot of NES games that require saves, but if you plan on playing a lot of 8-bit RPG games, the PowerPak's lack of autosave could get annoying.

To me, the autosave feature on the Everdrive is pretty much the bees knees. I don't want to keep up with shuffling save files. That said, the NES PowerPak runs NWC mapper and a couple others the Everdrive doesn't, but Everdrive plays more obscure Famicom mappers.

The Powermappers are fantastic in that regard. One save file will give you 5 slots per game. There is a way to create save files with your ROMs' names very quickly (and I include files for all licensed games in the first post). Does the NES Everdrive have something like the Powermappers and savestates for all games?

Jun 6, 2016 at 3:49:15 PM
tomwatch (0)

< Cherub >
Nvm

Edited: 06/06/2016 at 06:34 PM by tomwatch

Jun 6, 2016 at 7:50:34 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana

The Powermappers are fantastic in that regard. One save file will give you 5 slots per game. There is a way to create save files with your ROMs' names very quickly (and I include files for all licensed games in the first post). Does the NES Everdrive have something like the Powermappers and savestates for all games?

Don't know as I haven't really used save states on either flash cart.

Edited: 06/06/2016 at 07:50 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Jul 5, 2016 at 12:24:09 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
I'm terrible with computer stuff. So if anybody wants to try and help a hopeless cause  

I read that the Fceux automatically fixes header problems? So my issue is, I have roms that will run on Fceux but just get a solid grey screen with my everdrive n8.

Is this a header problem?
What is a header and How the hell do I fix one? Lol.

I tried to "open" the unzipped rom and i have to pick a program to do so or choose go online to find a program.

Like I said I'm clueless with this stuff.

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Jul 5, 2016 at 12:40:31 PM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: skinnygrinny

I'm terrible with computer stuff. So if anybody wants to try and help a hopeless cause  

I read that the Fceux automatically fixes header problems? So my issue is, I have roms that will run on Fceux but just get a solid grey screen with my everdrive n8.

Is this a header problem?
What is a header and How the hell do I fix one? Lol.

I tried to "open" the unzipped rom and i have to pick a program to do so or choose go online to find a program.

Like I said I'm clueless with this stuff.

Fceux fixes the headers for itself, but it does not modify the file. Go to Help>Message Log, this will show you the ROM info, what the header is, and if it had to change if its wrong.

Here is info on the headers:

http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.ph...

You will need a hex editor to change the header by hand, just open the ROM from within the program (or drag and drop works too)

https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/...

or there are programs that will help you. Here are some links, not sure what is good or not. I edit the hex myself

http://www.zophar.net/utilities/n...

http://www.romhacking.net/utiliti...

And for your gray screen problem, no idea. I use a powerpak.  

Edited: 07/05/2016 at 12:42 PM by Mog

Jul 5, 2016 at 9:18:36 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
I used the No Intro Set myself, however there is one game known to exist with an 8kbyte PRG ROM, Galaxian, that is not compatible with the iNES header format. The No Intro ROM is 16bytes plus 16kbyte, one 8kb PRG and one 8kb CHR. The header for Galaxian specifies Mapper 0 (NROM) and zero 16kb PRG banks, resulting in invalid file parameters. Some emulators detect Galaxian and run it fine, but flash carts expect strict conformity to the iNES standard and there is no provision for banks smaller than 16kb. To make Galaxian fully compatible with the iNES format and able to run on a PowerPak or Everdrive, the 8kb PRG data must be doubled to fill one 16kb bank. There are a few other outliers, but the majority of verified good dumps that work in an emulator but not PowerPak or Everdrive either have a bad header, unsupported mapper, or PRG/CHR larger than 512kb.

No Intro also has stripped away the headers on FDS files, meaning all headerless FDS ROMs will not work on PowerPak. The Everdrive however, can run FDS ROMs with or without headers. For headerless FDS ROM, the Everdrive calculates the correct number of sides based on filesize and either format works most of the time.

Edited: 07/05/2016 at 09:23 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Jul 24, 2016 at 5:14:56 PM
WaverBoy (1)

(Jeff Nelson) < Eggplant Wizard >
Washington

New version (v23) is now up at https://kkfos.aspekt.fi/

Changes:
- v23 (2015-12-28)
  * New MMC3 IRQ implementation (RAMBO-1 style, based on M2). Doesn't
  exactly match real MMC3 timings, but should be more robust than the
  previous implementation.
  * Don't enable CHR-RAM if PPU asserts /RD and /WR at the same time due
  to rogue $2007 writes. Fixes graphics glitching in the following games:
    - Noah's Ark (E)
    - Addams Family, The - Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt (U)
    - Baseball Stars II (U)
    - Bigfoot (U)
    - Krusty's Fun House (U)
    - Perfect Fit (U)

- v21 (2015-12-16) * Fixed a bug in controller read corruption handling (caused menu to show up spuriously in Bomberman II). Thanks to WaverBoy for report. * FME-7 IRQ acknowledgement behavior changed to match http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?p=142246#p142246 (should not affect any games).

Thank you so much for the updated mappers with multiple fixes, and thanks also for the shout out!!

Aug 18, 2016 at 7:54:12 PM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
Mexico
Finally updated the ultimate mapper combo with newest the fox powermappers.

Aug 23, 2016 at 12:19:29 AM
Daniel_Doyce (0)
< Meka Chicken >
Ohio
So the Powermappers don't work with every battery RAM game? I'm practicing Nobunaga's Ambition 2, and I don't get the save slot options I get with other games when I hit start + select.

Koeinalia: A Compendium of Koei Knowledge - NES and SNES

Aug 23, 2016 at 10:26:56 PM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
Mexico
Originally posted by: Daniel_Doyce

So the Powermappers don't work with every battery RAM game? I'm practicing Nobunaga's Ambition 2, and I don't get the save slot options I get with other games when I hit start + select.

No, it doesn't work with those MMC5 mapper games. You need a regular save file for those, as with the regular bunnyboy mappers.