Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"Fixing" your NES' and playing games... Why so many repop pins???

Nov 17, 2015 at 3:30:43 PM
austin532 (91)
(Mike ) < El Ripper >
Arizona
Does the boiling trick actually work? That sounds like it will just damaged the plastic around the pins or warp them.

-------------------------

My Ultimate 100% CIB NES Collector's Guide
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

NES, SNES, + misc. stuff for sale here
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:13:30 PM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: austin532

Does the boiling trick actually work? That sounds like it will just damaged the plastic around the pins or warp them.
Yes. Apparently, as someone said in the original "Just boiled my first old ass 72 pin and sorcery happened" thread: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess..., the plastic has a high melting point and can handle the heat. I was also concerned about it.

When I took the pins out of the water the plastic was still very hard and nothing seemed affected by the water. I watched over them like a HAWK. 5 minutes in, OUT (insert cart "trick"). 5 more minutes in, and OUT.... quick. I was also stirring to make sure the plastic wasn't making contact with the pot (which the bubbles were doing a good job of anyways).

I also bent the pins back so they make actual contact with the cart (BEFORE boiling).

So I would think that if you're not comfortable boiling the pins, you could still just take them out, bend them back into place, and then scrub them with alcohol and a toothbrush.

But, have confidence!! Bring the water to a slow boil and drop that bad boy in like it's a baby egg. I watched it and stirred for 5 minutes and removed. Inserted a cart 12 times to help get grime out, then boiled again for another 5 minutes.

It was honestly way easier than I thought.

Tap the excess water out with your hand... leave in front of a fan for an hour. You can see when it's totally dry. Put it back in and play. Just insert the games, don't press them into the down position as that's what bent them in the first place.

With bending the pins and boiling it my NES works like a freaking charm. Read the thread on it, too. It's very helpful with lots of positive feedback.

This guys video helped with my confidence by actually SHOWING someone do it, haha....

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Edited: 11/17/2015 at 10:26 PM by AirVillain

Nov 17, 2015 at 11:03:21 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
I use stock pins in all three of my toasters that I have hooked up. There's no reason to replace them, it's an unnecessary "repair" in 99% of cases.

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Nov 18, 2015 at 12:37:11 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
Originally posted by: AirVillain

Originally posted by: TDIRunner

Originally posted by: Ethan4972

I leave my nes in the upright position too. On to the next question. Here is a quote of what you said "Whether the system had some cheap part in it to begin with or not, if it works, I want that part." So,by that, you could say that the old pins were not working and that by putting in new pins it is now working. Your quote pretty much says to me that if the new part works, then you want it. All of the other techniques will work too, like the boiling method, but they also take work. And why bother with work when a repro will do just as good?
Upright. Cool.

No, sorry.... What I'm saying is that I want an OEM part, despite it's quality (if it lacks any).

In terms of "why bother" I think it's worth the work to fix them up yourself. For me it was fun and certainly rewarding. Also, to keep your machine with authentic parts.

I would never use repro pins just because they are cheaply made and don't seem to last long (whether or not you push the game down). However, I'm a big fan of the Blinking Light Win because it's a permanent fix. You asked why anyone would use that. The simple answer is so that they don't have to bother with the maintenance that comes with the original design flaw. Even without pushing the game down, the original pins will require modification after time. As far as the originality of the system, no problem. The BLW is completely reversible if you even want to go back to original. My original pin connector is safely stored away in case I ever want to put it back in.

The other big reason why I like the BLW is that you cannot try to pass it off as original. Unless you have never seen an NES before, you will know imediately upon opening the door that the parts have been swapped out. This is not the case with repro pins. Most people here wouldn't be able to tell the difference betwen an NES with original pins and one with repro pins, and that's a problem for second hand NES systems. I know that mine is original, because I've owned it since its release, but if i find a used one at Goodwill, who knows?
Well, I understand what you're saying, but how many people are going to keep the pins/game slot after they install their BLW?

In regards to not dealing with the design flaw of pressing the game cart in a downward position, that's remedied by cleaning and bending the pins. When you've done that you no longer need to press the games into the down position to work. Leave the game up and the pins don't bend.

You're taking the time to take your NES apart and install the Frankenstein BLW, why not just clean it instead?
It takes 3 minues to put a BLW in.  It takes more than 3 minutes to boil and adjust pins on an original pin connector.  Plus I'll eventually have to do it again down the road, even if I don't push the game down.  I've said it in another thread, but if you enjoy the maintenance of adjusting the pins, good for you.  It sounds to me like you actually have a fun time cleaning the system out.  That's great. If I were you , I would offer the service for a fee.  It would give you a chance to educate people about not pushing down anymore (which you seem to want others to know about) and you could make a little cash on the side. 

As I've said, to each their own.  I just think it's silly to avoid the BLW just because it's not "original."  You can always put the original parts back in.  Will some people throw the old pin connector away?  Probably, but that fact doesn't make the BLW a bad product or bad idea.  It just means that those people don't care about whether or not they are using orginal parts.  I can't control their actions.  Even if the BLW didn't exist, those same people would probably buy Chinese made replacement pin connectors and still throw their original pins away which is too bad.     

I think it takes a liiiiiiittle longer than 3 min to put the BLW in, but I understand what you're saying. It's really not that difficult/time consuming to bend the pins. Certainly not when we're talking about how long it takes to master some of these games, or play 700 of them.

I'm certainly going to hone my skills on mine and my friends/systems and then, yes, maybe it would be something to offer to people.

I'm just saying that repop parts aren't my bag. Being a gamer/collector means taking care of the systems properly, they don't need a BLW to work.
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

I don't think it's a big deal, either way.

I think the negativity toward replacement components is a bit over-the-top.

If you want to preserve one of your consoles as a pristine all-original device, go right ahead.
But for day-to-day system use, all I care about is functionality, so swapping in alternate pins isn't some kind of transgression.
(and it's not like I threw away the original part, so I can always clean it and use it again the next time I need to pin-swap)

Kind of reminds me of the other thread, fairly recently, about the AC adapters.

The DC replacement adapters (that take the load off the internal system power supply voltage conversion) do WONDERS for eliminating fuzzy or wavy lines that are due to some of the system capacitors going bad.
I'm not going to spend my time re-capping an NES unless it becomes entirely non-functional, then I'll do them all at once.

But a $6 power adapter fixes the problem for zero effort (and if you don't care about the original AC adapter you can resell it on eBay for more than the cost of the replacement)
Yeah, I see what you're saying.

I don't want any riots or beheadings or anything... just wondering why so many people put them in their systems.

I've always steered clear of them, just curious what others thought. Especially given the rather fun and easy fix.

Air Villian, I understand that you want to keep your NES stock, but listen to yourself. You will refurb your original connector again and again until it finally breaks from the stress of rebending the pins again and again and again. Why are you so against the BLW? There's no option that will keep the NES "stock" without yielding to the same bad design flaw.

Me and many others are happy with our BLWs, and many more people have preordered or are waiting for their updated BLW to ship. I fail to see why you have taken a vendetta against the BLW, that fixes the blatant design flaws with the stock NES, without any cosmetic changes to the exterior. It is a great product, works no gimmick, does exactly what it says.

You want to keep refurbing your pin connector again and again while others seek a more permanent solution? Fine. But don't knock others for wanting something better than a flawed original loading tray.

Also my two cents, I voted indifferent on your poll,because I frankly don't care what others do to their NES. Mine is by no means stock, as it has had it's lockout cut, an ultra-bright blue power LED, 10k volume pot with big red knob for PowerPak audio, CopyNES, and most recently a BLW.

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Edited: 11/18/2015 at 12:48 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Nov 18, 2015 at 7:29:25 AM
Rookie1 (22)
(Pig Benis) < El Ripper >
Maine
I gave my system a thorough cleaning a few years back and it has worked like a champ ever since. I was worried I would have to replace the pins eventually, but its still going strong.

THINGS IM LOOKING FOR - http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Nov 18, 2015 at 8:35:57 AM
Jandrem (6)
(Josh ) < Kraid Killer >
Ohio
I bought a new pin about 10 years ago when I first got back into retro gaming, and it still works like new today. I didn't know about the boiling method until recently.

My FS/FO thread: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Nov 18, 2015 at 9:07:26 AM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: the_wizard_666

I use stock pins in all three of my toasters that I have hooked up. There's no reason to replace them, it's an unnecessary "repair" in 99% of cases.

Thank you, sir.

Originally posted by: stardust4ever

Originally posted by: Ethan4972

Air Villian, I understand that you want to keep your NES stock, but listen to yourself. You will refurb your original connector again and again until it finally breaks from the stress of rebending the pins again and again and again. Why are you so against the BLW? There's no option that will keep the NES "stock" without yielding to the same bad design flaw.

Me and many others are happy with our BLWs, and many more people have preordered or are waiting for their updated BLW to ship. I fail to see why you have taken a vendetta against the BLW, that fixes the blatant design flaws with the stock NES, without any cosmetic changes to the exterior. It is a great product, works no gimmick, does exactly what it says.

You want to keep refurbing your pin connector again and again while others seek a more permanent solution? Fine. But don't knock others for wanting something better than a flawed original loading tray.

Also my two cents, I voted indifferent on your poll,because I frankly don't care what others do to their NES. Mine is by no means stock, as it has had it's lockout cut, an ultra-bright blue power LED, 10k volume pot with big red knob for PowerPak audio, CopyNES, and most recently a BLW.

Sounds like your NES could do this:

Haha, just kidding... but really, I'm NOT going to have to keep fixing my NES. I won't be bending the pins down. If I did, every 30 years I'll spend 1/2 an hour fixing an NES. Not too bad.

Here's my major beef with the BLW & Replacement pins: They're not OEM. They didn't come from the original manufacturer, and were not meant to be used in the NES system. I don't want some frankenstein piece(s) in my NES. This reader goes to that reader and that chip and blah, blah, blah... all it needs is for the information to be transferred through some pins. Simple.

If I wanted to play famicom games, I'd get a famicom.

Like many others have stated, replacement pins and BLW's are simply unneccesary.

I'm confident all the people installing the BLW could easily recondition their pins, and understand NOT to push them down in the system. If they insist on pushing the games into the down position, then they can rebend the pins again in however many years.

There's a very simple option to keep your NES stock & working: Clean/recondition your system.

I'm not a car guy, but if I was I wouldn't want some lawn mower engine running my lamborghini.

I know that's an extreme example, but it's true. Maybe this is a better example: I wouldn't want to use a straw as an engine hose.

There's a million analogies I could make.

The point is this: New pins and BLW's are not necessary. Why replace something that doesn't need to be replaced?

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Edited: 11/18/2015 at 09:12 AM by AirVillain

Nov 18, 2015 at 9:10:09 AM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
It also boils (no pun intended) down to not creating more e-waste. If the piece works, why create more waste (While increasing demand on new electronics) by replacing it?

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Nov 18, 2015 at 10:51:44 AM
scottmog (32)
(scott haefele) < El Ripper >
California
No thanks to repro pin when the originals just need a little bit of cleaning. It isn't even like its laziness imo, you need to open the system up either way. Save your 6 bucks and keep the high quality genuine pins in the console.

Garbage modders: Crayola_the_crayon_king, OGHugo, Drakon

Nov 18, 2015 at 12:19:04 PM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
Originally posted by: Jandrem

I bought a new pin about 10 years ago when I first got back into retro gaming, and it still works like new today. I didn't know about the boiling method until recently.
Same here, it was probably 2004-05 when I replaced my pin connector and threw away the original. It still works like an absolute charm.

Nov 18, 2015 at 12:44:11 PM
TDIRunner (17)
(Jon ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Originally posted by: Trj22487

Originally posted by: Jandrem

Same here, it was probably 2004-05 when I replaced my pin connector and threw away the original. It still works like an absolute charm.

My understanding is that many years ago, the replacement pin connectors were the same quality of the original Nintendo connectors.  So they will still fail over time, but they should last many years as the originals did.  However, the past few years, it seems the the replacement pin connectors are cheaply made and typically don't even last a full year.  I know a few different game shop owners who refuse to even stock the replacement pin connectors anymore because of the low quality. 

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Nov 18, 2015 at 12:58:03 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
Who cares.  If it works, it works.

Edited: 11/18/2015 at 12:58 PM by pegboy

Nov 18, 2015 at 1:14:10 PM
rcorporon (34)
(Ron Corporon) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario
I've cleaned out my 72 pin connector and still had games with issues.

I backed the Blinking Light Win campaign and love it tbh.

Nov 18, 2015 at 1:30:06 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
Question for OP: how do you feel about clipping the lockout chip?

I could care less about original vs aftermarket 72-pin, so long as it works and doesn't damage my games. I've personally boiled, and use my cleaning kit a lot. If a BLW was for sale in a local shop, though, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Nov 18, 2015 at 2:22:54 PM
Webhead123 (30)
(Jordan S.) < El Ripper >
Texas
Originally posted by: barrelsAndRivets

Question for OP: how do you feel about clipping the lockout chip?

For someone worried about permanent damage/modification to their hardware, you don't even need to completely clip the pin to the lockout chip. Just lift it enough to release it and bend it back so it's no longer in contact with the chip.

Just food for thought.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Now Playing: Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove (Switch)
Last Beaten: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Switch)

Switch Friend Code: SW-2929-9013-9208

Edited: 11/18/2015 at 02:23 PM by Webhead123

Nov 18, 2015 at 3:16:34 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: AirVillain

allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/t7W..." width="500">>

Haha, just kidding... but really, I'm NOT going to have to keep fixing my NES. I won't be bending the pins down. If I did, every 30 years I'll spend 1/2 an hour fixing an NES. Not too bad.

Here's my major beef with the BLW & Replacement pins: They're not OEM. They didn't come from the original manufacturer, and were not meant to be used in the NES system. I don't want some frankenstein piece(s) in my NES. This reader goes to that reader and that chip and blah, blah, blah... all it needs is for the information to be transferred through some pins. Simple.

Like many others have stated, replacement pins and BLW's are simply unneccesary.

I'm confident all the people installing the BLW could easily recondition their pins, and understand NOT to push them down in the system. If they insist on pushing the games into the down position, then they can rebend the pins again in however many years.

There's a very simple option to keep your NES stock & working: Clean/recondition your system.

I'm not a car guy, but if I was I wouldn't want some lawn mower engine running my lamborghini.

I know that's an extreme example, but it's true. Maybe this is a better example: I wouldn't want to use a straw as an engine hose.

The point is this: New pins and BLW's are not necessary. Why replace something that doesn't need to be replaced?
Nice video. Lots of references to 80s pop culture, especially Weird Science and back to the future. But if my NES I could transform into a hot babe, and my fiance found out, she would probably slap me into next week and back. It's bad enough I have 8-bit pr0n in my collection...

My NES toaster is still mah bitch though. First one I ever had. Except sometimes I flirt with mah other hoe the AV Famicom. It's 99% stock except I wrired D3 and D4 of the P2 port to he expansion pins for Zapper compatibility. That and I'm seriously considering doing the red power LED mod underneath the switch. Sorry I can't leave well enough alone. But seriously though if consoles were hoes than I'd be a pimp by now. I've got a dozen not counting handhelds, spanning from Atari 2600 to Wii-U.

Nov 19, 2015 at 8:56:46 AM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia

allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/t7W..." width="500">>

Nice video. Lots of references to 80s pop culture, especially Weird Science and back to the future. But if my NES I could transform into a hot babe, and my fiance found out, she would probably slap me into next week and back. It's bad enough I have 8-bit pr0n in my collection...

My NES toaster is still mah bitch though. First one I ever had. Except sometimes I flirt with mah other hoe the AV Famicom. It's 99% stock except I wrired D3 and D4 of the P2 port to he expansion pins for Zapper compatibility. That and I'm seriously considering doing the red power LED mod underneath the switch. Sorry I can't leave well enough alone. But seriously though if consoles were hoes than I'd be a pimp by now. I've got a dozen not counting handhelds, spanning from Atari 2600 to Wii-U.
Haha, yeah... Can't have any Weird Science stuff going on, that would not go over well with the gf...

All good, I know what you mean. It's hard to NOT buy it if you see it, haha. I'd love to find me a famicom one day...

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Nov 19, 2015 at 6:34:35 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana

Haha, yeah... Can't have any Weird Science stuff going on, that would not go over well with the gf...

All good, I know what you mean. It's hard to NOT buy it if you see it, haha. I'd love to find me a famicom one day...

LOL on the wierd science. Every time I see that Energizer commercial where the kid turns the toy dinosaur into a real brontosaurus, I am reminded of Wierd Science with the barbie doll...

Yeah get yourself an AV Famicom. NES adapters work but are fugly IMO. Ironically, I got the AV Famicom because cramming an adapter into the already flawed-by-design loading tray failed more often than not. Now I don't get any trouble the same adapters with the BLW, and even oversized Famicom carts now fit in my toaster, provided they aren't any "fatter" than normal carts. Still, having an AV Famicom to play famicom carts is much sexier way to do it. Also I use my Tototek adapter which have the NES cart facing forward instead of backward in my AV Famicom, for those neat Xmas carts with the LEDs...

Edited: 11/19/2015 at 06:37 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Nov 19, 2015 at 9:49:40 PM
SumerNivek (1)
(Kevin O!) < Little Mac >
Kentucky
So, I decided to take the dive and boiled the pins of one of my three original NES 001s. It was having red blinking light problems and I thought, what the heck, since I have three NESes and one of them could be a sacfricial lamb if it doesn't work.

I am happy to report that the boiling worked great! Games boot up right away and there is no blinking light at all. This works! I did not, however, bend my pins back. I did not feel confident doing it. I tried doing one off them and it just felt like I was forcing it too much, so I still have to push the cart down in the tray of this particular NES. But yes, I can now attest to the boiling method. I, however, did not blast a fan on the pin connector for an hour...didn't think it was necessary.

Current Games Playing: The Incident (NES), Star Wars: Battlefront (XBox One), Wonderboy (Sega Master System)
Playing Soon: Super Mario Maker (Wii U), Metal Gear Solid 3 HD (PS3), Phantasy Star (Sega Master System)

Nov 20, 2015 at 12:00:16 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: SumerNivek

So, I decided to take the dive and boiled the pins of one of my three original NES 001s. It was having red blinking light problems and I thought, what the heck, since I have three NESes and one of them could be a sacfricial lamb if it doesn't work.

I am happy to report that the boiling worked great! Games boot up right away and there is no blinking light at all. This works! I did not, however, bend my pins back. I did not feel confident doing it. I tried doing one off them and it just felt like I was forcing it too much, so I still have to push the cart down in the tray of this particular NES. But yes, I can now attest to the boiling method. I, however, did not blast a fan on the pin connector for an hour...didn't think it was necessary.
Put the pin connector in an oven set to "warm" or the lowest temperature on the dial. It will dry it out in short order. "Warm" setting is actually cooler than the water you boiled it in so the pin connector will not melt or deform. I boiled my original pin connector once but it did nothing to help it. Mine had been sodomized by the game genie multiple times however. It was the only wat to make it work...

Edited: 11/20/2015 at 12:02 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Nov 20, 2015 at 12:25:00 AM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
grip of death doesnt last forever. The last few Ive bought have been better about that actually.

Reconditioning old pins works for a little while but doesnt last. Not worth the hassle. If you dont sell systems then you have no clue what people want. They want the game to work first try, minimal effort or they raise hell and bitch about it. New pins are clean and work. Old pins dont last and ill be getting contacted on how their nintender doesnt work. NEW Pins all the time unless the original has nice grip and works first try with a clean game.

People buying an NES right now for the first time? they dont give two shits about original pin. They want it to work so they can play their mario and ninja gaiden. Replacing the pin is the easiest way for a buyer to get a solid working system. If you havent sold NES systems in any quantity before you wouldnt understand the hassle of doing so. Most annoying system to sell ever. Customers are idiots.

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Edited: 11/20/2015 at 12:30 AM by quest4nes

Nov 20, 2015 at 12:40:19 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: quest4nes

grip of death doesnt last forever. The last few Ive bought have been better about that actually.

Reconditioning old pins works for a little while but doesnt last. Not worth the hassle. If you dont sell systems then you have no clue what people want. They want the game to work first try, minimal effort or they raise hell and bitch about it. New pins are clean and work. Old pins dont last and ill be getting contacted on how their nintender doesnt work. NEW Pins all the time unless the original has nice grip and works first try with a clean game.

People buying an NES right now for the first time? they dont give two shits about original pin. They want it to work so they can play their mario and ninja gaiden. Replacing the pin is the easiest way for a buyer to get a solid working system. If you havent sold NES systems in any quantity before you wouldnt understand the hassle of doing so. Most annoying system to sell ever. Customers are idiots.
Yup. Replacement pins are good but BLW trumps it 1000%

Nov 20, 2015 at 12:25:08 PM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: quest4nes

How long do you expect reconditioned pins to last? That sort of brings me back to the final question of my original post;

Side question: How do you play your NES? With the pins bent and cleaned I don't need to put any extra pressure on the pins by pressing the game slot down so I leave it in the "upright" position. Works great.

So, I'm under the impression, from what I've gatherd from the interwebs, that keeping the NES cartridge in the "up" position in the game tray will PREVENT the pins from getting bent too far to contact the game (And is perfectly safe for the NES/game). This is entirely logical. Is that true?

I mean, if the pins DO get bent without pushing the games down in the tray, then I'll just bend them back when I need to. If they don't, which at the very least they will incur minimal damage, then theoretically I just need to keep them clean... Example: I just rebent my pins after 30 years, If they last 1/2 that long (15 years) without being abused then I think that's a pretty good amount of time.  

And I can respect what you have to say about not actually have sold an NES. I think these could be separated a bit... 

I think there's 2 different ways this goes: 1) Personally cleaning and re-bending the pins for MYSELF and 2) Doing it for a customer.

#1 takes little/no customer service as I just have to deal with myself, haha, obviously. I tell myself that I don't need to push the game down in the tray and the pins last longer. Simple.

#2 takes a LOT of customer service. So, do you tell people NOT to push the games down? If not, and I can understand if not (in certain situations), then I can see why it would be annoying dealing with customers.

As in, if I could talk to someone face to face, I'm sure I could explain to them how to properly take care of their NES. Online sales are totally different, and scary, monster.

Either way, I see what you're saying. Dealing with the average joe would be tricky and people are idiots.

For the most part, being here in Gamer's Gauntlet, I was specifically wondering how people here at NA fix their systems for themselves to play. As in, we are already taking the time to preserve and keep these games in working order so we are obviously somewhat interested in the preservation of their working order, how many people fix their systems for themselves. Especially when most times the "fix" actually just involves cleaning and maintenance, the same thing you'd expect from any hobby/electronics (train sets for example).

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Nov 20, 2015 at 12:34:17 PM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
Was talking with SumerNivek in the BLW thread about re-bending the pins. Here's what I used:
http://c.shld.net/rpx/i/s/i/spin/image/spin_prod_206527401?hei=333&wid=333&op_sharpen=1

4pc Pick & hook set. The one with the 45 degree angle seemed to work very well.

I was able to get the head underneath the pin and then by using the leverage of the tool and the plastic pin holder as the fulcrum was able to push the pin up by putting a slight amount of pressure on the tool... Just a few light touches and you'll see the pin come up. Make sure it's even and you're all good.

Ps. The rock is the pin... Fulcrum is the rock on the ground and the plastic seat in the pin connector. Long stick is the aforementioned tool. The guy is your hand.

Do that 36 times and you're gold.

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Edited: 11/20/2015 at 12:38 PM by AirVillain

Nov 20, 2015 at 2:49:04 PM
HammerDaddy (8)
< El Ripper >
Antartica
This thread is pretty awesome. I've got a set of replacement pins in a drawer that I have yet to install. I've always been super nervous about trying to boil my pins, mostly because I'm nervous about melts plastic, but reading this I may give it a shot first and hopefully leave those pins in a drawer. You guys are my nes nerd heroes