Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Bella's Guide to Cart lot "prices"

Aug 16, 2010 at 12:19:58 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
Originally posted by: Levirules

Originally posted by: jonebone

Are people really that offended by price checks? If a new guy posts a list of 150 games it could take him an hour or two to set up a spreadsheet and manually enter eZine values. Or it could take one of us resellers about 2 minutes to answer with a good ballpark figure of what it is worth.

I don't mind helping out the new guys, it's the habitual offenders that get annoying. Don't post a price check on every single CL lot you see.

This is what I was trying to say in the other thread. There's nothing wrong with posting a lot of 100 NES cart-only games and asking for a price check. It would takr an hour to look up all the prices in the guide and add them up, and honestly, you don't learn much that way. The price guide is fantastic for smaller lots or individual games, but there is NOTHING wrong with asking for a quick answer on a large lot.

The poster could spend an hour adding everything up, or 30 seconds posting the list, and other users can spend 30 seconds skimming the list. Eventually, the poster will learn more about values, all the while using the price guide for smaller references, and they will learn to skim the lists themselves.

In short, this "guide" is fine for smaller stuff, and if someone has the time, larger lots. But when there are people willing to help save someone time on a forum, why say there's anything wrong with it? If it annoys you, just skip the CL price check posts. If everyone was annoyed and stopped helping people, eventually they'd have to add it up manually.

In reference to the other thread that you mention, the guy was asking if those hundred carts was worth $100.  He didn't ask what the lot was worth, but whether he should snag it (at least that's what my sleep deprived brain tells me).  There's a difference between that and "What's a loose Top Gun worth?"

-------------------------

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Aug 16, 2010 at 12:24:35 PM
kimbolemonslice (86)
(Aaron Kit) < Kraid Killer >
Missouri
Originally posted by: the_wizard_666

Originally posted by: jonebone

Are people really that offended by price checks? If a new guy posts a list of 150 games it could take him an hour or two to set up a spreadsheet and manually enter eZine values. Or it could take one of us resellers about 2 minutes to answer with a good ballpark figure of what it is worth.

I don't mind helping out the new guys, it's the habitual offenders that get annoying. Don't post a price check on every single CL lot you see.

This is what I was trying to say in the other thread. There's nothing wrong with posting a lot of 100 NES cart-only games and asking for a price check. It would takr an hour to look up all the prices in the guide and add them up, and honestly, you don't learn much that way. The price guide is fantastic for smaller lots or individual games, but there is NOTHING wrong with asking for a quick answer on a large lot.

The poster could spend an hour adding everything up, or 30 seconds posting the list, and other users can spend 30 seconds skimming the list. Eventually, the poster will learn more about values, all the while using the price guide for smaller references, and they will learn to skim the lists themselves.

In short, this "guide" is fine for smaller stuff, and if someone has the time, larger lots. But when there are people willing to help save someone time on a forum, why say there's anything wrong with it? If it annoys you, just skip the CL price check posts. If everyone was annoyed and stopped helping people, eventually they'd have to add it up manually.

In reference to the other thread that you mention, the guy was asking if those hundred carts was worth $100.  He didn't ask what the lot was worth, but whether he should snag it (at least that's what my sleep deprived brain tells me).  There's a difference between that and "What's a loose Top Gun worth?"

yeah he did the same thing i do when i get a pc on a lot. whenever I make a thread I know the value of the lot I really am just asking for a second opinion.

Aug 16, 2010 at 12:40:39 PM
portnoyd- (39)

(Stephen Colbert) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Step 1: Due diligence.
Step 2: There is no step 2.

If you PM me, I will tell you to go away, especially if you're trying to mooch my games.

Aug 16, 2010 at 12:49:02 PM
ars2pd (181)
(aRs !) < King Solomon >
Missouri
I just think with practice, you learn what games are worth. When I first started out, I used the Mike Etler rarity / price guide. It was nowhere near as up to date and extensive as the NA price guide, and with that, you had to be even more cautious.

When you begin looking up games, you gradually work that into your memory. How do you think the big resellers / long time collectors are able to skim the threads and tell you whether its worth it or not? And also, what does that do for you the next time a lot is posted?

Its like having someone do your homework. You get it done, but you learn nothing from it. That's my take on it.

Aug 16, 2010 at 12:56:06 PM
OSG (28)
(PEEP and PAMP) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Sticky

My favorite part was "clogging up the boards"

We wouldn't want the internet to get full!

Aug 16, 2010 at 1:10:08 PM
removed-07-06-2016 (214)

< Bowser >
Other
I love Dan's price guide, but the one thing it doesn't take into account that we can see is #sold to get that average. If there are 500 Silent Service carts on ebay but 2 of them sell for $4 and the rest go unsold, guess what, your probably not going to be the next lucky bastard to make $4 on your Silent Service cart unless it sits there for months. Many times, I try to keep that in mind when replying to lot price checks. Unless a lot has several games that are going to move quickly, pretty much count the rest of the crap as worthless. If you find a lot with 50 copies of Golf and 1 copy of Contra for $50, guess what: you'll probably make money on the Contra a MAYBE a few copies of Golf, but the rest of the carts are going to sit for a loooooong time.  So while that lot is "worth" a couple hundred bucks, it's not "worth" your time.

Worth =/= the ability to move a cart with any kind of profitable speed.

Edited: 08/16/2010 at 01:11 PM by removed-07-06-2016

Aug 16, 2010 at 1:13:19 PM
Bella (104)
(Bellatrix Lestrange) < Ridley Wrangler >
Alabama
I agree with Dangevin. It was the whole teach a man to fish. If you keep posting price checks you will never learn on your own if the lot is worth it. Yes it will take 30 minuets over 30 seconds but you wont learn a damn thing.

NA is a great resource for education. For the most part there isnt anything NA as a whole cant find out or already know. We are here to help others learn and to learn ourselves. It just gets tiring after a while holding peoples hands.

Looking over the price checks, most can be answered with a 30 second search of completed listings on the bay or the price guide.

I have bigger balls than any man out there... They just sit two feet higher!

Aug 16, 2010 at 2:00:38 PM
Game Core (52)
(Paul Truitt) < Meka Chicken >
Pennsylvania
Bella you kick ass!

Too Many Games 16
June 24-26th 2016 ( NOT FATHERS DAY WEEKEND )
http://toomanygames.com/gamer/NA

Bands, Vendor Room, Descendents Of Erdrick, Panels, AVGN, Super Best Friends Play, Vinesauce, Keith Apicary, Giveaways ETC

Aug 16, 2010 at 2:05:15 PM
ars2pd (181)
(aRs !) < King Solomon >
Missouri
Bella sum'd it up. This is exactly what I posted a couple spots up.

Aug 16, 2010 at 3:40:06 PM
Levirules (12)
(Levi Morgan) < Meka Chicken >
New York
I still disagree. Even with price checks, if anything is worth your time, people in the thread are likely to pick out those that will make money, and you'll take note of it. If there is a lot of 49 commons and a Menace Beach, people aren't just going to say "yeah it's worth the $50 asking price," they are going to say "hell yeah, Menace Beach is worth $50 alone!" In fact, I think it's a valuable source of information, even when it's not my price check.

To the replies above, without checking time stamps, I just assumed this post was fueled by the last price check on a $100 CL deal.

::: Now playing: Demon's Souls, Portal 2 :::

Aug 16, 2010 at 4:27:18 PM
qwerty (1)

(A R) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
At first I agreed with OP but then I took a step back and remembered when I started out I never heard about 90% of the NES library not to mention know what they are worth. Think about if you just started out and after posting a price check read this thread. I wouldnt feel very welcome on NA anymore I'll tell you that.

Aug 16, 2010 at 4:30:17 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: qwerty

At first I agreed with OP but then I took a step back and remembered when I started out I never heard about 90% of the NES library not to mention know what they are worth. Think about if you just started out and after posting a price check read this thread. I wouldnt feel very welcome on NA anymore I'll tell you that.

Anybody who just slings out a price check on cart-only games as their first post on the boards has either failed to read the FAQs or the other stickies throughout the board directing people to the price guide.

Aug 16, 2010 at 4:38:17 PM
Bella (104)
Alabama
qwerty,

Im still consider myself a noob in the grand scheme of things. The main thing people EVER ask of anyone new to the boards is to READ the FAQ and the stickies. That is one of the first things I did before I ever posted my welcome thread. Granted I come across as a bitch (very intentional BTW) but again it goes back to reading the FAQs ect you would know It is mostly intended to be brash humor. May not be very good but what ever.

90% of the time I just write what others are thinking....

Aug 16, 2010 at 4:40:13 PM
qwerty (1)

United States
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Anybody who just slings out a price check on cart-only games as their first post on the boards has either failed to read the FAQs or the other stickies throughout the board directing people to the price guide.

There is a difference between doing a price check for resale value and collection value. Most of the new collectors ask for the later reason.

Aug 16, 2010 at 4:42:57 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

There is a difference between doing a price check for resale value and collection value.

Not really.

Aug 16, 2010 at 4:45:20 PM
Bella (104)
Alabama

I still disagree. Even with price checks, if anything is worth your time, people in the thread are likely to pick out those that will make money, and you'll take note of it. If there is a lot of 49 commons and a Menace Beach, people aren't just going to say "yeah it's worth the $50 asking price," they are going to say "hell yeah, Menace Beach is worth $50 alone!" In fact, I think it's a valuable source of information, even when it's not my price check.

To the replies above, without checking time stamps, I just assumed this post was fueled by the last price check on a $100 CL deal.

But if one would read the information avaliable they would LEARN that it was a 50 dollar cart. No one ever told me Little Sampson is a hundred dollar cart give or take. You learn these things by actually reading and trying to learn. To be honest I didn't know Little Sampson from Sunday Funday when I created an account here. But i was smart enough to read and learn without bugging half of NA....

The thread on the CL lot was just the peverbial straw. I do need to go edit my post. I did come across as a bigger bitch than normal. However my rants are truly NOT directed at any one person. That is unless i say it is

Aug 16, 2010 at 4:48:03 PM
qwerty (1)

United States
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

There is a difference between doing a price check for resale value and collection value.

Not really.

Dragon Warrior 1

Value: worthless
Gameplay: priceless

I rest my case

Aug 16, 2010 at 9:08:11 PM
wrldstrman (107)
(doug prickett) < Master Higgins >
West Virginia

I havent seen the na price guide, im not real good at navigating on the coumputer so if someone would post a link it would be nice. But anyway there are a few ways to look at the newbie collector. one if they are asking about a price because they are wanting to acquire the game for play or collection im all for helping out. Im not sure how the price guide works but if it takes the average auctions only and doesnt factor in games sold in ebay stores i would say thats the way to go

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

Aug 16, 2010 at 9:25:29 PM
burdger (152)
(Ross Burdge) < Bowser >
Ohio
Doug, there is a new price guide in every issue of the eZine. There's a link on the front page of NA

Aug 16, 2010 at 10:02:48 PM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: wrldstrman

I havent seen the na price guide

Originally posted by: na profile snapshot
wrldstrman (41)
Gold Medal (20-49 feedback)

(doug prickett)

< Bowser >

/commitsseppuku

Aug 16, 2010 at 11:03:12 PM
wrldstrman (107)
(doug prickett) < Master Higgins >
West Virginia
Originally posted by: burdger

Doug, there is a new price guide in every issue of the eZine. There's a link on the front page of NA

oh i see ive never really looked at the ezine. i usally look at na at work and dont want to download anything.

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

Aug 16, 2010 at 11:19:50 PM
alekx (108)
(Alexander Kong) < Bowser >
Alberta
thats a good guide for NES items without boxes thanks for the post.

Aug 17, 2010 at 9:55:55 AM
ADMINISTRATOR
VGD (465)
(RL ) < Wiz's Mom >
Michigan
The biggest motivator for me to learn values when I started buying games was when I started missing out on deals because I didnt know what they were worth quickly enough.

But this was long before any fancy ezines or such. I looked up each games completed listing to get a general idea. fun stuff.

Aug 17, 2010 at 7:11:34 PM
tuxedocivic (94)
(Ryan Bouma) < Ridley Wrangler >
British Columbia

I totally agree with this. CL Lot price checks drive me crazy. Just look up all the games in the lot in the ezine and you have your answer. The price check is for stuff like:
"what is a black tagin dragon worth"
"-CAN DK Jr. Math found - how much"
"What is a CIB Ninja Gaiden 123 gonna fetch if sold as a lot"
"Effin mint Black Box Donkey Kong CIB"
"Star Fox 2 repro with custom box"
"Sealed Action 52"
"Never opened SNES mini"
"Difference between CIB Mario World PC and non-PC"
"CIB Contra Force gone up in price?"

NOT:

"Someone tell me if I can make money on this pile of crap common carts"
"Should I buy this for my collection"
"Mario 3 loose for $7"
"All the Turtles games for $50 - worth it?"

Look it up please.

EDIT - My favourite (most hated) is "Help with Price!!!" and then you look in the thread and it's a list of 20 carts that could be easily added up with the ezine or even completed listings if need be. Tell me what the fuck you're asking about it the thread title. That should be an immediate ban.

Edited: 08/17/2010 at 07:15 PM by tuxedocivic

Aug 17, 2010 at 7:17:31 PM
kimbolemonslice (86)
(Aaron Kit) < Kraid Killer >
Missouri

EDIT - My favourite (most hated) is "Help with Price!!!" and then you look in the thread and it's a list of 20 carts that could be easily added up with the ezine or even completed listings if need be. Tell me what the fuck you're asking about it the thread title. That should be an immediate ban.

Ive done this a few times i didnt realize everyone was so pissed about this kind of stuff haha.* not the common carts but i dont list the items in the title*

Edited: 08/17/2010 at 07:18 PM by kimbolemonslice