Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

My Odyssey 2 find in the mountains

May 30 at 3:02:33 PM
The Strangest (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Tennessee
This might be my luckiest find I’ll ever have. 

(This paragraph is a bit of fun backstory, skip to the next for the actual find if you don’t care.) Years ago I was vacationing with my family in the Smoky Mountains, and we visited an antique store. In that store they had loose Odyssey 2 carts. I was intrigued by the form factor of these carts so I did some googling and was fascinated by the system. I love the box art and the cartridges, so when I got home from that trip I ordered a boxed console online and I’ve slowly been building my collecting since. It’s the only console I feel compelled to collect a complete set of. For now anyway.

Fast forward to now: I live close to the Smoky Mountains, and besides game collecting, one of my hobbies is general thrifting and antiquing. There are a lot of these stores all around the area, so I often check them when I have a free day to do so. I went to one of the stores and I saw a Magnavox Odyssey 2 console and some boxed games. I already have a boxed console and most of the games so I shrugged it off until I saw Power Lords. Complete with box and manual. I did a double take and then asked the owner of the booth what they wanted for it and I walked away with it for $15. It’s not mint by any means, but not too rough either. It’s my best find to date, probably ever, and with some serendipity I found it on the same road that I initially was intrigued by the system years prior. 

EDIT: I thought I had attached photos. I'm still figuring this stuff out.

Edited: 05/30/2019 at 03:12 PM by The Strangest

May 30 at 3:28:27 PM
mydogsrule (165)

(Jonathan Smith) < Kraid Killer >
Tennessee
thats awesome!! Especially, knowing you collect for the Odyssey and need it for your collection makes it that much better.

May 30 at 8:30:29 PM
The Strangest (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: mydogsrule

thats awesome!! Especially, knowing you collect for the Odyssey and need it for your collection makes it that much better.

Yep! It’s one of the few “heavy hitters” for the Odyssey 2, so it makes going for the set a lot smoother.

May 30 at 9:20:53 PM
Yelir (28)
(Riley Gallant) < El Ripper >
Alberta
That cover art looks like a bad acid trip! What kind of coin does it really fetch?  

May 30 at 10:26:47 PM
jfreakofkorn (23)
< King Solomon >
United States
You can't beat the art from back in the day n nice snag too ...

May 31 at 12:36:18 AM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: Yelir

What kind of coin does it really fetch?  

A buddy of mine collects for the O2. Always keeping my eyes out, he's nearing completion of the set. Cart-only at least $60, and that's if you're lucky enough to find somebody selling.

No idea about CIB. One didn't sell on ebay at $199 recently.

Edited: 05/31/2019 at 12:36 AM by barrels

May 31 at 1:10:54 PM
The Strangest (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Tennessee
Yeah, the heavy hitters on Odyssey 2 are nothing compared to most systems (usually between $150-$200) but the luck here comes from finding one at all. I still can't find Comanda Noturno.

May 31 at 1:12:59 PM
Quaze (116)
(Jordan C.) < Bowser >
British Columbia
Super cool find brih

-------------------------
My eBay feedback
"Hey have you guys ever pekt I nx thrn b gh ed g?"

Jun 02 at 12:16:19 AM
Daniel_Doyce (0)
< Meka Chicken >
Ohio
I love the Odyssey 2 and the Voice. Killer Bees is awesome. A complete in box set is quite affordable, too. Now that you have Power Lords, you should definitely go for it. Quest for the Rings has a bunch of small, easily lost pieces, but it's only $35 on GVN.

Koeinalia: A Compendium of Koei Knowledge - NES and SNES

Jun 02 at 12:18:15 AM
Daniel_Doyce (0)
< Meka Chicken >
Ohio
I also just noticed GVN doesn't have the Voice listed separately. I don't think it's very rare unless you're looking for the original packaging. Usually you find the console with it plugged in and no box.

Koeinalia: A Compendium of Koei Knowledge - NES and SNES

Jun 02 at 11:42:02 AM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
That looks awesome! Congratulations and thanks for sharing the neat story too.

-----
Family Bits:  An Unauthorized, Complete Guide to Famicom, Dendy, and Pegasus

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpre...

Jun 02 at 11:50:48 AM
The Strangest (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: Daniel_Doyce

I love the Odyssey 2 and the Voice. Killer Bees is awesome. A complete in box set is quite affordable, too. Now that you have Power Lords, you should definitely go for it. Quest for the Rings has a bunch of small, easily lost pieces, but it's only $35 on GVN.
Killer Bees is one of my favorites for the console. It’s a great little arcade style game.