Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"Games are meant to be played" - Counterarguments!

Feb 28, 2018 at 3:04:40 PM
Abelardo (77)
(Abelardo González) < El Ripper >
Mexico
Games were made to be sold for profit, that's what they were made for.

Edited: 02/28/2018 at 03:05 PM by Abelardo

Feb 28, 2018 at 3:08:12 PM
Buyatari (14)
(Adam Harvey) < King Solomon >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Koopa64

Originally posted by: Buyatari

This is the classic Pinocchio argument when people want to assign human emotions to a physical inanimate object.

Games are not people. They don't have hopes or dreams.
Games aren't mesant to do anything. They are objects.

That said, I think the original intended use argument has some merit. For example:

"Games were originally meant to be played"

Like so many other things, people often find alternative uses. I think the only object that has no true "original use" is the electronic computer. Sure, it was first used as a number cruncher, but it can do virtually any logical operation. It's like saying writing is only for keeping track of how much grain you have or how much money you have, like it was 4000 years ago when it was first invented.

Games were produced in hopes that they would be sold. The publisher doesn't care and for sure the game doesn't care if the owner never plays them. 

Feb 28, 2018 at 3:29:20 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: Trevor

Originally posted by: pegboy

"Games are meant to be played!" - Bitter collector that has been priced out of the hobby.

That basically sums up everything you need to know about this topic.

This. It’s almost always followed or preceded by some form of “shelf collectors are the reason why I can’t buy games at reasonable prices”

And “I hope the bubble bursts so i can buy color a dinosaur for 5$ To play it”

-------------------------

www.videogamesage.com...

Feb 28, 2018 at 4:05:31 PM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado
Games are meant to be played!
Stamps are meant to be mailed!
Coins are meant to be spent!
Baseball cards are meant to be... collected. I guess?

Feb 28, 2018 at 4:36:45 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Anyone who hates on me for shelf collecting dank is just jealous.
Will someone pat me on the back? Me doing it to myself is getting old....oh, wait, no it isn't. Man I'm awesome. So many people are hating on me because I can afford to shelf collect dank. It feels so good. Actually my weeny grows a lil every time I buy a sealed nintender tape.

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Feb 28, 2018 at 4:38:31 PM
Loxx O))) (19)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Fat Man Kraid) < Bowser >
Washington
Originally posted by: JamesRobot

Games are meant to be played!
Stamps are meant to be mailed!
Coins are meant to be spent!
Baseball cards are meant to be... collected. I guess?
You put the card on your bicycle so it makes that sound.  You know.

Feb 28, 2018 at 4:42:01 PM
GamingSuperHero (24)

(Game Super Hero) < Eggplant Wizard >
Ontario
You would think people want to buy videogames to play them cause they like playing videogames. Maybe even to collect. I guess not... I just leave it at that haha.

Feb 28, 2018 at 4:54:35 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Tell them you do what you want, and you don't care what they think.

If that don't work, just go for the old classic attack on their personal traits! It's easy!

Feb 28, 2018 at 9:05:30 PM
ALTQQ (79)
(I've lost my television remote do you know where i Should look?) < King Solomon >
British Columbia
Use yer tapes as coasters. There's so many super Mario racing tapes out there. You only have one coffee table. Don't get rings on the table boys.

Tapes were also made so you'd have somewhere to put be kind please rewind stickers

I lost my television remote, have you seen it?

Edited: 02/28/2018 at 09:07 PM by ALTQQ

Feb 28, 2018 at 9:12:30 PM
superNESman (102)
(Deniz "Alpo The Great" Kahn) < Bowser >
Illinois
Coins are meant to be spent
Comics are meant to be read
Baseballs are meant to be hit
Coke bottles are meant to be recycled/tossed
Toys are meant to be played with
Stamps are meant to be mailed
Legos are meant to be built
Cars are meant to be driven

Life is only to be assessed by utility.

Feb 28, 2018 at 9:13:44 PM
Kobun Heat (54)

(Chris Kohler) < Meka Chicken >
California
I just tell people that stamps are meant to be licked, and if they find an inverted Jenny I fully expect they will slap it on a postcard and mail it.

Feb 28, 2018 at 9:25:57 PM
LifeGame (63)
(M D) < El Ripper >
Quebec
I would love to play all my games....but i only have 1 life left...

NES games to finish my licensed set -S.E. :  DOWN TO 2

LITTLE SAMSON, DINO PEAK

NES licensed : 674/677

Feb 28, 2018 at 9:26:53 PM
Macks (0)
(Alexander G.) < Crack Trooper >
Maryland
Well... what's the point of not playing games you buy? I mean, I understand if you buy it for someone, of course. People can obviously do what they want with their money, but still.

Feb 28, 2018 at 10:41:19 PM
GPX (1)

< Meka Chicken >
Originally posted by: xMaGuSx

Originally posted by: Loxx O)))

There was already a bubble thread like a week ago. I think. Or maybe it was a joke thread by D~Funk.
There was a joke thread by D-Funk, but funny enough i just searched out of curiosity and realized OP already made a bubble related thread 2 weeks ago lol I guess he is just making the rounds of controversial topics at this point   
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&thr...

I am just giving you a hard time though OP, don't take it too serious and make whatever threads you want. We just have seen these so many times over the years, it has become a bit of a joke whenever they pop up, so we poke a little fun. 

No hard feelings! I just like to make discussions. It's part of the gamer/collector in me that has nostalgia for those times I had read those gaming mags from the 90s and reading all those letters/editorials. If you take more notice, you'd eventually see that my topics are all random off the top of my head. I don't really follow any particular pattern of controversy  

It's a shame I've only joined since last year, as topics these days are likely to be rehashed in various forms. Still, it's always nice to see if trends and thoughts change over time with similar topics every year or two.

Feb 28, 2018 at 10:44:34 PM
Loxx O))) (19)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Fat Man Kraid) < Bowser >
Washington
Originally posted by: nintendopower

Well... what's the point of not playing games you buy? I mean, I understand if you buy it for someone, of course. People can obviously do what they want with their money, but still.

The idea that they are shelf/eye candy and meant for collecting/displaying rather than using.

Feb 28, 2018 at 11:05:03 PM
GPX (1)

< Meka Chicken >
Here's my personal answer to the OP topic:
Games are meant to be played. Yes, I knew this since I was 7-8. Not exactly rocket science..

However, did you know that games have other purpose too?
- game box - 3D art display
- manuals and pamphlets - can act as books, and can be read! Some pretty pictures too on some of them!
- carts can be used for a game of baseball (Superman 64, this was your main purpose was it not?)

As games become genuinely rare (actual limited numbers bordering extinction):
- games should be preserved, put in museum, get out of reach of dirty hands of gamers
- they become relics and holy/hyper-grails, and should no longer be seen as a game; they are the artefacts to collectors, what is treasure to Indiana Jones.

Feb 28, 2018 at 11:13:28 PM
Mr. CIB (67)
< El Ripper >
Florida
I don't collect comics but I would like to know do topics like this come up all the time? Like are they having the comics are to be read debate?

Mar 1, 2018 at 12:47:14 AM
retroupgrade (3)
< Meka Chicken >
Game owners have the right to do what they want with their stuff. BUT, at the same time, it always warms my heart to hear about someone hooking up a rare or interesting system or game to let random people or small children play, thus increasing the fan base for vintage gaming.

I believe shared experiences have more value than alone experiences. As much as I enjoy playing games myself, I prefer to play games with my family and friends. To see the light in their eyes as they experience the cutscenes in Final Fantasy 7, figure out combos in Street Fighter, or to finally see the ending to Super Mario World for the first time, is definitely worth a few scratches on my games.

Mar 1, 2018 at 5:32:33 AM
ruudos (1)
(Rad Gravity) < Meka Chicken >
Netherlands
Well I can undesrtand people won't play all of their games because those games are crap or you don't have enough time I don't quite understand collectors (especially loose cart collectors) who don't play anything at all.
Still if that's what they want I'm ok with it.

Mar 1, 2018 at 8:58:14 AM
Californication (34)

< Meka Chicken >
Sometimes when my girlfriend bothers me about spending money on video games, I think to myself that some video games are pieces of artwork that someone spent hundreds or thousands of hours to create. Many of my games represent the best form of technological entertainment that were able to be created at a point in time. Many of these games were able to create jobs, build businesses, and make hundreds of millions of dollars. Some games are quarky, some are serious, and when I am in the mood to play a video gane I pick one out of my collection like someone may pick a wine to enjoy themselves.

Now although video games are pieces of artwork, you cannot completely appreciate what a video game is if you don't play it. If I didn't play the lone ranger I wouldn't be able to appreciate the progressively harder game play, that konami used techniques it learned from creating other video games, and that the game has a flow to it's game play and story that is hard to put into words.

So for me collecting video games and not playing them is alright, but you just can't feel it down to your bones the way a gamer can. On a different note, needing to have complete collections sounds like a compulsion, I'm not sure why but it reminds of people being conquered, and greed. People that want more than they need. Excess.

Edited: 03/01/2018 at 09:14 AM by Californication

Mar 1, 2018 at 10:22:57 AM
Morakaton (0)

< Little Mac >
I mainly cringe at people going for a full collection or sealed collecting. The former because what's the point of owning NFL 96 or Barkley's Shut Up and Jam!, or Barbie? The latter because collecting a sealed item is literally collecting a box wrapped in plastic, which you can never show off the inserts, play the game, etc.

Mar 1, 2018 at 10:35:31 AM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: retroupgrade

Game owners have the right to do what they want with their stuff. BUT, at the same time, it always warms my heart to hear about someone hooking up a rare or interesting system or game to let random people or small children play, thus increasing the fan base for vintage gaming.

I believe shared experiences have more value than alone experiences. As much as I enjoy playing games myself, I prefer to play games with my family and friends. To see the light in their eyes as they experience the cutscenes in Final Fantasy 7, figure out combos in Street Fighter, or to finally see the ending to Super Mario World for the first time, is definitely worth a few scratches on my games.

I completely feel this way but the history/preservationist side of me also realize that time is against us.  I really mean it when I feel that who are about 30+ were fortunate to be the target audience of this new form of interactive artwork.  Games have, and will continue to progress.  Even though I'm not really a fan of playing 2600 games or even the very crude, early arcade games like Pong, I have mad respect how these items broke such tremendous ground.  The medium broke out of novelty and eventually became a mainstay of our lives.

These "games" have progressed beyond toys for kids.  Sure, theirs an entire gamout of experience but now we have serious titles, titles that make you cry or some times even evaluate your perspective on life, while others are simply breathtaking to behold and are simply "fun!"  In the future, experiencing this early (and we're still in the "early" stage looking 100s of years into the future) will come in two forms-- those who have preserved pristine copies of original games, ephemora and hardware.  They will sit in museums and people will hopefully be able to look at pristine copies of our boxes and carts that have been stabilized, some how, for even further future generations.

The other form they will experience is emulated hardware and roms.  This stuff is already pervasive on the internet, but no form of media to day, carts or CD discs, will last 100+ years and if by some perfect miracle a few do, it'd be dumb to boot them up and try to use them.  Instead, museums may have dedicated emulation units that very-faithfully recreate the original experience.  Maybe lag time can be reduced and even light-gun tech can be recreated.   I'm hopeful but if some of us don't keep the "shelf candy" around, this stuff for distant future generations will be near impossible to find.

I'm not trying to be on a soapbox, but for the few items I do intend to keep, but never play, my perspective is that I get to enjoy looking over my shoulder and seeing that rare piece on myshelf, and the looooong term payoff is that maybe when I pass this stuff down to my kids, they will have the wear-with-all to take care of it and eventually donate it to gaming museums.

I'm not saying everyone should think or feel the way I do.  But I do feel that some of us should.

Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Mar 1, 2018 at 10:40:18 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Morakaton

I mainly cringe at people going for a full collection or sealed collecting. The former because what's the point of owning NFL 96 or Barkley's Shut Up and Jam!, or Barbie? The latter because collecting a sealed item is literally collecting a box wrapped in plastic, which you can never show off the inserts, play the game, etc.
Sealed collecting is definitely a curious phenomenon.

I understand why people do it, because it is trying to find the best preserved specimens of the hobby as close to their shipped condition as possible.

And I get that this sort of thing takes its roots from toy collecting.

But in the case of toy collecting, you generally can see the contents and admire the toy itself rather than just the box alone.

I also think it creates a fascinating Schrodinger's Cat situation, where nobody TRULY knows the contents of their sealed items or their condition.

Maybe that is half the fun.    

Mar 1, 2018 at 11:30:51 AM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: Morakaton

I like to compare sealed collecting to condoms.

When they're new it's ready for use whenever I want it. Used on the other hand...

Mar 1, 2018 at 12:43:33 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: Loxx O)))

Originally posted by: Bronty

Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

Originally posted by: Koopa64

why should you care what someone else thinks?

This is the most valid answer so far.

It is, but from a different perspective its not realistic because most collectors say one thing (I don't care what people think) and do another (chase the games everyone else wants just because everyone else wants them).

Couldn't it be necessary in that case because if you don't jump on a trend quickly you may not be able to get certain games later?

I'm not talking about buying Gun Nac because you're afraid its going to go up $50.

I'm talking about even wanting NWC or SE or whatever in the first place.  

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!