Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

AVS / Bionic Commando Compatibility Anyone have Bionic Commando working with their AVS?

Sep 28, 2016 at 10:47:14 AM
brporter (0)

(Bryan Porter) < Cherub >
Alabama
I've got a brand-new AVS that handles everything I've thrown at it without problem, except for one cart, Bionic Commando. I don't have another device / console to verify that the cart itself is functioning properly, so this could be a problem with the cart.

Can anyone with an AVS and a copy of Bionic Commando verify for me that it works for them? I'm assuming I've just got a damaged or dirty cart on my hands, but since I can't verify my copy on a non-AVS device, can't rule out compatibility issue of some sort either.

Sep 28, 2016 at 10:55:23 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
I tested all my games, including Bionic Commando, and it worked fine. I don't think it's an inherent compatibility in the game program itself, rather something going on with the individual cart. I have a Xexyz cart that is the same way.

Sep 28, 2016 at 2:40:44 PM
CZroe (31)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia
Does it have a green strip on the edge of the PCB?

Sep 28, 2016 at 4:46:49 PM
brporter (0)

(Bryan Porter) < Cherub >
Alabama
Not that I can see; I just compared the card edge of Bionic Commando to my copy of Battletoads that works flawlessly; the only thing I see that is different is the bottom contacts of the PCB start a small ways back from the card edge, whereas the Battletoads cart the contacts are equidistant from the card edge on both the top and bottom. The BC cart is uniform along the bottom edge, so I'm not sure this is wear.

Hard to describe!   What else should I be looking for?

Edited: 09/28/2016 at 04:48 PM by brporter

Sep 28, 2016 at 4:52:04 PM
Guntz (115)
< Master Higgins >
Canada
You should get in contact with RetroUSB about getting a replacement cartridge connector for your AVS console. The "green strip" everyone here is talking about is really a deficiency with the AVS console not accepting all official NES cartridges. Cartridges with pins that are further away from the edge of the PCB have trouble working with the short AVS connector, original NES consoles are not affected.

Sep 28, 2016 at 5:58:32 PM
dav3yb (39)
(david ) < Meka Chicken >
Mississippi
Originally posted by: brporter

Not that I can see; I just compared the card edge of Bionic Commando to my copy of Battletoads that works flawlessly; the only thing I see that is different is the bottom contacts of the PCB start a small ways back from the card edge, whereas the Battletoads cart the contacts are equidistant from the card edge on both the top and bottom. The BC cart is uniform along the bottom edge, so I'm not sure this is wear.

Hard to describe!   What else should I be looking for?
Pictures might help if you can provide some of what you're talking about. 

Sep 28, 2016 at 6:08:20 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
My Xexyz looks normal, but it still hangs up on the title screen. I've scrubbed the pins until they shine. Might try Brasso next, but I'd almost rather replace the cart.

My Rock N Ball has a big dark mark on one pin that I can't get off and still plays flawlessly.

Might be something else going on with the cart.

Sep 28, 2016 at 6:27:01 PM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
I think we played Bionic Commando at NESathon. But I could not get Blaster Master to work the other day which does not have the green strip.

-------------------------
Playas Guide Logo

Sep 28, 2016 at 6:38:40 PM
AlexKunio (24)
(Alex Ryan) < Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
I just tried it when I saw this thread and it worked fine.  I'm on firmware 1.10... can't think of anything else that might be helpful.  Can confirm it working at least  

Edited: 09/28/2016 at 06:41 PM by AlexKunio

Oct 2, 2016 at 2:02:32 PM
GN0LAUM (0)
(Nathan Struk) < Cherub >
Ontario
I had (what sounds like) a similar problem with seven games in my collection. I contacted Retro USB and I was told to look to see if the connectors were flush against the board or not (also, there is a green strip visible on the other side of the cart). Each of the seven problem carts had the same design on their circuit boards. It is indeed a flaw in the connector on the current AVS. Replacements will (apparently) be made available as soon as possible.

It is possible to get these games to work, however, with the existing pin connector. You can either remove the circuit board out of the cart (plug it in, and it works fine, but this is a huge pain), or, if you insert the cart all the way to the right (you may need some shimmying skills), the game will also work. I can confirm this technique to be workable.

Attached I have included pics of the board from Nintendo's published Tetris (which has the configuration that does not work with a straight insert into the AVS).

Edited: 10/02/2016 at 02:07 PM by GN0LAUM

Oct 3, 2016 at 6:01:51 PM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
Originally posted by: GN0LAUM

I had (what sounds like) a similar problem with seven games in my collection. I contacted Retro USB and I was told to look to see if the connectors were flush against the board or not (also, there is a green strip visible on the other side of the cart). Each of the seven problem carts had the same design on their circuit boards. It is indeed a flaw in the connector on the current AVS. Replacements will (apparently) be made available as soon as possible.

It is possible to get these games to work, however, with the existing pin connector. You can either remove the circuit board out of the cart (plug it in, and it works fine, but this is a huge pain), or, if you insert the cart all the way to the right (you may need some shimmying skills), the game will also work. I can confirm this technique to be workable.

Attached I have included pics of the board from Nintendo's published Tetris (which has the configuration that does not work with a straight insert into the AVS).

Will using something like a green strip game on a Game Genie work as a temporary fix when playing it on the AVS?

Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Edited: 10/03/2016 at 06:02 PM by BouncekDeLemos

Oct 3, 2016 at 6:09:42 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: BouncekDeLemos

Will using something like a green strip game on a Game Genie work as a temporary fix when playing it on the AVS?

It should. As would a Fami-NES converter in the famicom slot.

Oct 7, 2016 at 12:54:31 AM
OmegaCet (0)
(Daniel Jarrett) < Cherub >
United States
I tried my game genie out on a few of the green strip cartridges and they do indeed work at that point.

Oct 8, 2016 at 9:15:54 AM
R.O.B. 2084 (3)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Florida
I had the same problem with Bionic Commando, and it is a green strip game. Using a Game Genie did allow me to play all of my green strip games. Not an elegant solution, but it does work.

Edited: 10/08/2016 at 08:42 PM by R.O.B. 2084

Oct 10, 2016 at 1:30:12 PM
tbone3969 (67)
< Lolo Lord >
United States
Dam this sucks.  Thought the AVS played anything and everything thrown at it.

Why do some games have these green strips on the contacts?

"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

Edited: 10/10/2016 at 01:32 PM by tbone3969

Oct 10, 2016 at 1:38:24 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: tbone3969

It's been discussed before. RetroUSB will offer a new pin connector to replace the ones that won't work with the green strip games.

Oct 10, 2016 at 1:56:41 PM
tbone3969 (67)
< Lolo Lord >
United States
Originally posted by: Tulpa

It's been discussed before. RetroUSB will offer a new pin connector to replace the ones that won't work with the green strip games.

So not all AVS systems have this problem?  

I will have to check if I even have any "green strip" games.  

Why do some games even have the "green strip"?

"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

Oct 10, 2016 at 2:07:14 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

Pretty sure all the first run ones will have the green strip problem, though if you fiddle enough with the cart you can get it to work.

I don't think a definitive reason was found as to why the strip is there. It doesn't have an issue on the original NES due to the way those pin connectors work. They're sort of asymetrically aligned with the pins when the cart is inserted and pushed down.

Edited: 10/10/2016 at 02:08 PM by Tulpa

Oct 16, 2016 at 9:10:24 PM
Oddzball (6)

< Meka Chicken >
Originally posted by: Tulpa

Pretty sure all the first run ones will have the green strip problem, though if you fiddle enough with the cart you can get it to work.

I don't think a definitive reason was found as to why the strip is there. It doesn't have an issue on the original NES due to the way those pin connectors work. They're sort of asymetrically aligned with the pins when the cart is inserted and pushed down.

Its probably just manufacturing. They make the boards in big batches right? Im sure depending on how they are cut, some of them end up with that strip.