Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Zelda II - The Adventure of Link SAMPLE NES cartridge

Jul 21, 2016 at 10:25:35 AM
sadikyo (89)
(Sadik Yo) < King Solomon >
United States
Yes, that's it!

Also, found the thread discussing the listing:

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?StartRow=1&...

And wow did this create quite an interesting discussion about VGA and prototypes, haha!

-------------------------
Hello!  I want your "ATLUS" stuff!  Please see my list or send me a PM if you have cool ATLUS stuff!

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

Jul 21, 2016 at 10:52:15 AM
nintendopower_4_ever (75)

(john smith) < Lolo Lord >
United States
Originally posted by: MrWunderful

Yeah even if it is a true real "sample" cart the only difference is the label on the shell (unless the rom is different). It might be worth a *bit* more to a zelda collector, but not much.  

The fact that nintendo is spelled wrong is interesting. 

cool piece though. 

lol. I bet it's worth more than you think  

Jul 21, 2016 at 10:59:12 AM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
If this is a legit sample, it's worth hundreds to the right people. A member here has sold multiple Pokemon samples (clear shells, odd board date, ROM seemed the same). A couple I was looking at went around $400 if memory serves.

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:08:35 AM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: nintendopower_4_ever

Yeah even if it is a true real "sample" cart the only difference is the label on the shell (unless the rom is different). It might be worth a *bit* more to a zelda collector, but not much.  

cool piece though. 

It probably is, but I wouldn't spend more than 100$ on it. Its my opinion. If someone wants to spend 1000.00 on a standard copy of zelda 2 with a home made label (without providance, other than a story) then by all means please do. 

OP is doing the right thing by throwing it on eBay to get the maximum amount of money, and to find market value. 

Spending obscene amounts of money on crazy things happens often in this hobby. 

Edited: 07/21/2016 at 11:14 AM by MrWunderful

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:17:01 AM

United States

cool piece though. 

It probably is, but I wouldn't spend more than 100$ on it. Its my opinion. If someone wants to spend 1000.00 on a standard copy of zelda 2 with a home made label (without providance, other than a story) then by all means please do. 

OP is doing the right thing by throwing it on eBay to get the maximum amount of money, and to find market value. 

He should probably send it to VGA just to authenticate it first. They have done it before with these types of protos/samples. I remember a few Earthbound samples/protos doing pretty well with home made labels and retail boards  

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:19:13 AM
daillest (225)
(Joe ) < Lolo Lord >
Pennsylvania
I believe the seller story but yes it could be easy to counterfeit making it somewhat of a gamble. It may be possible to authenticate it though by comparing the label to a similar label on another first party prototype

My Wanted to Buy/Trade Thread
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&th...

My Ebay Listings
http://www.ebay.com/sch/daillest/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&a...

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:21:36 AM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California

cool piece though. 

He should probably send it to VGA just to authenticate it first. They have done it before with these types of protos/samples. I remember a few Earthbound samples/protos doing pretty well with home made labels and retail boards  

This appears to have nothing to do with being a prototype, but I may be mistaken as I am not an expert. Lets not get the 2 mixed up. I think a 200-400$ gamble on this isnt out of the question. 

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:23:27 AM
daillest (225)
(Joe ) < Lolo Lord >
Pennsylvania
Also is the print those ROMs identical to a retail version?

My Wanted to Buy/Trade Thread
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&th...

My Ebay Listings
http://www.ebay.com/sch/daillest/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&a...

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:41:38 AM
zurgdawg (0)

< Cherub >
As I learn from the community on how all of this works, I completley understand some skeptsim around the history/legitimacy of the cart.  I have nothing to hide and this whole experience is actually pretty fun & fascinating, so, I'd love to authenticate this cart as much as possible to know exactly what I have.  Can anyone guide me on who/what VGA is and/or what a deeper authentication process looks like?  Again - thanks for all of the input thus far!

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:54:48 AM

United States

This appears to have nothing to do with being a prototype, but I may be mistaken as I am not an expert. Lets not get the 2 mixed up. I think a 200-400$ gamble on this isnt out of the question. 

I'm just remembering how VGA authenticaed those Earthbound samples from Europe with retail boards for Mr.Mark as being "prototypes"  
I think the first one went for $5K that the guy who bought it smashed open the case and the other went for around $3500. Then they both tried to resell them and couldn't. lol
Here's a little info about them

http://www.snescentral.com/review...

Jul 21, 2016 at 12:02:38 PM

United States
Originally posted by: zurgdawg

As I learn from the community on how all of this works, I completley understand some skeptsim around the history/legitimacy of the cart.  I have nothing to hide and this whole experience is actually pretty fun & fascinating, so, I'd love to authenticate this cart as much as possible to know exactly what I have.  Can anyone guide me on who/what VGA is and/or what a deeper authentication process looks like?  Again - thanks for all of the input thus far!

Maybe you could contact them and see what they have to say  

https://cgagrading.com/VideoGameG...

Jul 21, 2016 at 3:35:18 PM
zurgdawg (0)

< Cherub >
Will do, sending them a note now.

Jul 21, 2016 at 4:58:49 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington

I'm just remembering how VGA authenticaed those Earthbound samples from Europe with retail boards for Mr.Mark as being "prototypes"  
I think the first one went for $5K that the guy who bought it smashed open the case and the other went for around $3500. Then they both tried to resell them and couldn't. lol

http://www.snescentral.com/review.php?id=0324&num=0&...
I was going to reference that as well, it's most definately worth sending to VGA if you are going to sell it..  If you can get VGA to disengenously grade this as a prototype (like with those retail earthbound boards) you can then turn around and cash out on the dummies on ebay.

Jul 21, 2016 at 5:11:27 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
Originally posted by: pegboy

I was going to reference that as well, it's most definately worth sending to VGA if you are going to sell it..  If you can get VGA to disengenously grade this as a prototype (like with those retail earthbound boards) you can then turn around and cash out on the dummies on ebay.

VGA also infamously slabbed a Best Electronics "Prototype" repro of an 8-bit Atari Super Pacman game.
http://vintage.nintendoage.com/fo...

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Jul 21, 2016 at 5:29:57 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: Kosmic StarDust

VGA also infamously slabbed a Best Electronics "Prototype" repro of an 8-bit Atari Super Pacman game.
http://vintage.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?StartRo...

Oh yeah, I forgot about that shit show.

To OP:

unless you want to get into the collecting scene, I suggest you put it on eBay with a $.99 starting value see how much money you can get for it and let someone else gamble on whether or not it's real.  Just don't misrepresent it. 

Edited: 07/21/2016 at 05:32 PM by MrWunderful

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:33:32 PM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts

The VGA'd SMB mentioned above ended up selling for $3,150.  So between that and the two VGA'd Earthbound samples, you're talking a five figure profit.

VGA that shit, and swim in a sea of profit.  Easy money.

Jul 22, 2016 at 1:51:06 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
I think the VGA hype train had died down considerably from where it was a few years ago. VGA stuff on sale for crazy money is still on eBay, but tends to sit for months on end with no bites.

Jul 22, 2016 at 10:13:37 PM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
lol at VGA 'verifying' games.

Wii U Collection Status: 160/161. Just Dance 2018. 

Jul 23, 2016 at 4:49:35 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
More like a cash cow for resellers. Triple or Quadruple the value of an already expensive sealed game by sending off to VGA first then flipping. Once VGA stuff started to stagnate on eBay, the hype died down. The naked gold NWC was the worst...

Jul 23, 2016 at 2:45:57 PM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: Kosmic StarDust

More like a cash cow for resellers. Triple or Quadruple the value of an already expensive sealed game by sending off to VGA first then flipping. Once VGA stuff started to stagnate on eBay, the hype died down. The naked gold NWC was the worst...

Bingo, and this is the perfect item for it.  Slab that bitch, throw it on eBay at $.99 with no reserve, and laugh all the way to the bank. 

Sep 16, 2016 at 6:25:21 PM
zurgdawg (0)

< Cherub >
Hi everyone. It has been a long time since I posted, but I just wanted to relay that VGA was unable to accept my request to authenticate this game as they are no longer authenticating samples/promos. With that said, I posted it up on eBay just now, so if anyone is interested, please toss your hat into the ring. Thank you again for all of your input & help! http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/1919730...?

Sep 16, 2016 at 6:41:11 PM
98ViperGTS (21)
(Brad ) < Meka Chicken >
Newfoundland
Psssst. You should ship to Canada..

Sep 16, 2016 at 7:49:07 PM
bootload (8)

< El Ripper >
Alabama
I tried to bid but it wouldn't let me. No shipping to Canada.

Sep 16, 2016 at 8:36:41 PM
zurgdawg (0)

< Cherub >
I've been burned by some non-US buyers in the past, so I'm not going to open up the whole listing. However, I am happy to ship to internationally to NintendoAge members. Simply DM me your ebay username OR ebay e-mail and I will add you to the exemption list, which will allow you to bid. As for the shipping costs, those will be at your expense and we can just add it to the total of the item if you should win. Sound good?

Sep 16, 2016 at 9:07:42 PM
bootload (8)

< El Ripper >
Alabama
How do you get burned by selling something to someone on the other side of an imaginary line? You have the money before it ships.