Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

**NintendoAge Weekly Contest Leaderboard & Rules 2015** Who's a Bad Enough Dude to Compete?

Jan 28, 2015 at 1:42:32 PM
Caleb47 (48)
(Steve S.) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
Originally posted by: CLAYB1RD

I'm looking forward to Dusty Diamond's All Star Softball, one of my favorite baseball games on the NES. Unfortunately I don't own it haha but it looks like I have time to pick it up beforehand

I was surprised when I saw this one on the list but I'm excited for this one too! That will be a fun week going against you

Jan 28, 2015 at 1:42:40 PM
Silent Hill (131)
(A-A-Ron ) < King Solomon >
Ohio
Originally posted by: gutsman004

Originally posted by: Silent Hill

Welp, looks like I need to grab quite a few games!

Or you can just play them on an emulator or everdrive cart.

I have neither.

-------------------------

Jan 28, 2015 at 2:27:36 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida

The allowance of emulators makes me a bit curious. Couldn't someone post scores using a modified rom without realizing that he/she is using a modified rom?

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Jan 28, 2015 at 3:00:10 PM
Silent Hill (131)
(A-A-Ron ) < King Solomon >
Ohio
Originally posted by: skinnygrinny

The allowance of emulators makes me a bit curious. Couldn't someone post scores using a modified rom without realizing that he/she is using a modified rom?

- Cheating will NOT be tolerated in any form. This contest is based on trust and honor. Anyone found cheating will be banned from further competition. A lot of time is spent on these contests, from selecting games to choosing the perfect rules that fit each game to playtesting the rules, as well as many other things. If you cheat, you are wasting my time and the time of everyone else competing in these contests.  If you feel the need to cheat, do not participate in the contests and cheat on your own time.

Honor system man! 

Jan 28, 2015 at 3:08:14 PM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Really solid list of games for this year. I really like that there are a bunch of new games never played in the contests before. And for me there are quite a few games I'll need to brush up on and get to know better.

I plan to compete as often as I can this year. My wife and I are getting ready to have a baby girl in the next few weeks so she is going to take up a lot of my time for sure.

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
--------------------------------------------------
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Jan 28, 2015 at 3:14:13 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida

- Cheating will NOT be tolerated in any form. This contest is based on trust and honor. Anyone found cheating will be banned from further competition. A lot of time is spent on these contests, from selecting games to choosing the perfect rules that fit each game to playtesting the rules, as well as many other things. If you cheat, you are wasting my time and the time of everyone else competing in these contests.  If you feel the need to cheat, do not participate in the contests and cheat on your own time.

Honor system man! 

yes, i understand. i personaly will not participate unless i have the actual cartridge.

i was asking for those who will be using an emulator.

Jan 28, 2015 at 3:16:53 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida
thanks for assuming i would cheat

Jan 28, 2015 at 3:30:31 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
I don't think he assumed you would cheat, he simply quoted the rules about the honor system. Modified roms aren't that common, and anyway, most of the time it is harder to perform through emulation vs original hardware. That's not much of a concern really, even if idealistically, everyone should be playing on hardware (Powerpak/Everdrive goodness).

Jan 28, 2015 at 3:42:41 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida
Originally posted by: guillavoie

I don't think he assumed you would cheat, he simply quoted the rules about the honor system. Modified roms aren't that common, and anyway, most of the time it is harder to perform through emulation vs original hardware. That's not much of a concern really, even if idealistically, everyone should be playing on hardware (Powerpak/Everdrive goodness).

The first sentence in his reply is "cheating will not be tolerated."

Look I really don't care I just want to participate in some fun competition with other Nintendo players. I was only trying to understand the rules and etiquette. I'll just keep quiet and post scores.

Jan 28, 2015 at 3:58:18 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec

The first sentence in his reply is "cheating will not be tolerated." Look I really don't care I just want to participate in some fun competition with other Nintendo players. I was only trying to understand the rules and etiquette. I'll just keep quiet and post scores.

But like I said, he didn't wrote this on hiw own, he simply copy pasted a paragraph of the rules. This said, I agree that he didn't specifically answered your question.

I assure you that nobody will bully you or anything

Jan 28, 2015 at 4:17:54 PM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
So is the Mario 3 contest going to start early on Sunday or do we have to wait until 10 NA time?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Jan 28, 2015 at 4:33:18 PM
CLAYB1RD (105)
(Clay Myers) < El Ripper >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: Caleb47

Originally posted by: CLAYB1RD

I'm looking forward to Dusty Diamond's All Star Softball, one of my favorite baseball games on the NES. Unfortunately I don't own it haha but it looks like I have time to pick it up beforehand

I was surprised when I saw this one on the list but I'm excited for this one too! That will be a fun week going against you
Most definitely! I've only ever played it on emulator back in the day haha but I'll be looking forward to playing it on a cart once I get it. 

Good mix of sports games this coming season, never realy played RC ProAM, Tecmo Bowl, or Double Dribble so I'll have to play around with those 

Jan 28, 2015 at 7:21:47 PM
Balloon_Kid (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
New York
I'm assuming The Donkey Kong Classics cart will suffice for the Donkey Kong challenge? I don't own the original release.

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:26:14 PM
Fluffy (11)
(Fluffy is asleep) < Meka Chicken >
New York
If we had to use real carts, I'd e sitting out more than a few contests! Lol, I woulda thought it goes without saying no cheating. Anyways, good luck everyone!

Jan 29, 2015 at 1:25:44 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Originally posted by: Krunch

So is the Mario 3 contest going to start early on Sunday or do we have to wait until 10 NA time?

The contest will start early on Sunday.  I should have it posted by 2:30 PM NA time.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Jan 29, 2015 at 1:26:17 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Originally posted by: Balloon_Kid

I'm assuming The Donkey Kong Classics cart will suffice for the Donkey Kong challenge? I don't own the original release.

Donkey Kong Classics will suffice for Donkey Kong since it is identical to the original Black Box release.

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Jan 29, 2015 at 1:40:41 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
I kind of want to get an Everdrive cart to use for the contests.

Jan 29, 2015 at 1:45:31 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Look I really don't care I just want to participate in some fun competition with other Nintendo players. I was only trying to understand the rules and etiquette. I'll just keep quiet and post scores.

I welcome you to the contests and look forward to competing against you.

Jan 29, 2015 at 2:35:50 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida

The first sentence in his reply is "cheating will not be tolerated." Look I really don't care I just want to participate in some fun competition with other Nintendo players. I was only trying to understand the rules and etiquette. I'll just keep quiet and post scores.

But like I said, he didn't wrote this on hiw own, he simply copy pasted a paragraph of the rules. This said, I agree that he didn't specifically answered your question.

I meant to say thank you for answering my question about the roms. Perhaps it was a silly question, was just a thought.

Jan 29, 2015 at 2:43:55 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan

I meant to say thank you for answering my question about the roms. Perhaps it was a silly question, was just a thought.

I thought it was a pretty good question.  I'm sure there are sites out there that have altered ROMs that most people wouldn't realize were altered until they played it.  I downloaded all my NES ROMs from vimm.net and all of them seemed to be legit without any alterations whatsoever.  I would go there if you're interested in downloading ROMs.  Plus, they have a really cool database of video game manuals.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Jan 29, 2015 at 2:44:41 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida

I welcome you to the contests and look forward to competing against you.

*tips hat

Jan 29, 2015 at 7:20:26 AM
fatalfuryspecial (31)
(cool shooter spaceship) < El Ripper >
Texas
that games lineup is the freakin bomb! great mix of new games and previous contest favorites.

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:43:50 AM
USFLegend (63)
(Adam ) < Kraid Killer >
Florida
Think I am going to finally join in this year. Gonna have to pick up a few games though!

Jan 29, 2015 at 11:32:57 PM
TriHart (59)
(Riley R) < El Ripper >
Alberta
Alright, that looks like a good roster of games there! I have a good chunk, so I'll be participating for more than 1 game!

Looking forward to it!

DC CIB:                67/254
SMS CIB:               6/114
This is fun!

Jan 29, 2015 at 11:38:47 PM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania

I kind of want to get an Everdrive cart to use for the contests.

I recommend either an Everdrive or PowerPak. Super nice to play games as intended but not have to swap out carts. Also handy if you don't have the game being played but don't want to buy it...but downloading ROMs of games you don't own is treading into controversial waters.