Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Double Dragon fun aka "those !#@$ blocks!"

Mar 26, 2011 at 11:48:06 AM
Zing (23)
(Daniel Corban) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
I have been playing a lot of Double Dragon NES lately. It's a nicely challenging game. The learning curve is smooth and I felt myself getting more proficient at the game.

There was one point in stage three where I could envision myself making one of those "angry" video game reviews. At first I fell into a pit because it was off the bottom of the screen and I didn't know it was there. Then I fell in because I was one pixel too far to the right. Another time I died because I jumped where I knew there was a cliff I had to jump down, but the game had yet to fully scroll the screen to the right, so it counted it as a death.

Now I am stuck at the beginning of stage four with these goddamn blocks that poke out of the wall to kill you. As far as I can tell, they come out randomly. I end up getting poked to death. It's frustrating because I can breeze my way to this area without dying, only to have my game end instantly.

I checked some FAQs online, along with a few youtube videos/comments and no one seems to have a consistent method of getting past these. All tips I find consist of something like "I wait until the top block pokes out twice then run for it and hope I get lucky!" No two tips are the same, either.

Does anyone know how to consistently get past these blocks?

Here is my pro tip for the game: Punch for the first two stages. Do nothing but punch. You can easily get through these stages with punch only. The benefit is that your experience level and score will be higher. Using only punch allows you to max out your skill level (level 7) by the end of stage two.

-------------------------
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay...

Mar 26, 2011 at 11:56:01 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Definitely my least favorite part.

I don't know if they're actually random, but it sure feels like it every time I've played that level.

Mar 26, 2011 at 11:59:39 AM
I'm_not_a_robot... (1)
(Jon Schirmacher) < Meka Chicken >
Pennsylvania
I don't think there's a consistent way, but I've found if you jump kick right before the first block, you might be able to make it out safely. Part always gets me too, don't worry.

"Puttin' Crash Man in the trash can, like yesterdays tomatoes."

Mar 26, 2011 at 12:01:55 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil

I use what they have shown on this video. Works every time.
Also, the video contains several other exploits you can use at the game if you feel like.

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Mar 26, 2011 at 2:19:35 PM
Firamir23 (32)
(Firamir Zulkifli) < Eggplant Wizard >
Malaysia
Jump kick all the way.

Mar 26, 2011 at 3:07:27 PM
snesmaster (40)
(Rick Bruns) < Meka Chicken >
New York
I have made some maps for this game.  You can find them at:

http://www.nesmaps.com/maps/Doubl...

This may not help you get past the part you are talking about, but at least you can see how the level is set up your strategy of attack

Check out my site for Nintendo Maps, Sprites and Posters at: http://www.nesmaps.com...

Mar 29, 2011 at 2:02:48 PM
Zing (23)
Ontario
I usually avoid any and all FAQs/maps/hints etc, but that brick wall was going to force me to retire from the game forever.

I watched the video and tried his method of getting past the wall. It worked three out of four times.

I can get to the end, but always end up being one life short of winning. I get to the wall without dying, only to die once at the wall. The times I get past the wall without dying, I have a stupid death somewhere else. If only the game awarded an extra life at 50k points or something.

I went through the first few levels just fighting in the most efficient manner, and my score ended up being half what it is if I punch through the first two levels. I also barely crack experience level four by the time I need it (stage 3). The hair pull really does make the game much easier.

Mar 29, 2011 at 7:07:09 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
Aye. Extra lives would make this game a bit easier to beat.
Around half the times I play it, I end being one life short of beating it. And Jimmy cheats.

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Mar 29, 2011 at 7:21:39 PM
SamSpade (61)
(Joey Pimkowski) < Bowser >
California
Machine gun Willie is a total prick and those blocks suck too. I just power forward with the jump kicks and I usually get through.

Mar 29, 2011 at 7:24:03 PM
Zing (23)
Ontario
Willie has hair, so he gets tossed like everyone else.

Mar 29, 2011 at 10:40:15 PM
Zing (23)
Ontario
I got to the end three more times tonight with no success. I keep getting raped by the wall. I get past the first section fine, but the second section hits me two or three times. Then I usually get an unlucky death during the fights before I reach the door.

My most recent try saw me fall off into the water not once, but twice in stage four. The game really does not want you to stand anywhere near an edge.

Even the last battle is a bitch. I kill off the waves of enemies, die to a machine gun bullet, then have to do the entire battle over again.

Mar 31, 2011 at 12:32:26 AM
adaml (0)
(Adam Lamontagne) < Tourian Tourist >
Maine

Regarding the maps by snesmaster...I've been meaning to tell you this for years Rick, but your  maps are the best on the net.  Nothing like a good map that uses actual game screen shots.  Even though I've finished all but 3 NES games, I enjoy looking at your maps, both for nostalgia purposes and for getting me interested in games I beat years ago.  Maybe they remind me of the old Nintendo Power maps...I dunno.

As for Double Dragon, I've beaten this game several times without any Game Genie/Save states/etc. back in the late 80s/early 90s and it was pure luck in getting past the wall sections and conserving those lives for the final battles.  Just gotta accept the randomness of it I guess.

U.S. NES games left to beat: 3

Last 3 U.S. NES games beaten: Romance of the Three Kingdoms II, Nobunaga's Ambition II and Gemfire
Updated: 7/21/10

Mar 31, 2011 at 12:46:34 AM
Zing (23)
Ontario
Today was the first time I made it to the final battle with all three lives. I did get ganked at the wall again, but was only hit three times. I was able to get to the next door without losing the last 25% of my health, and I should be able to do this consistently. As long as only one of the walls hits me, I should be fine.

I can't seem to finish off the machine gun dude.

The other day, I was on stage 3, a stage where I really try to not get hit at all until the Abobos burst out of the wall. I often can only defeat them with maybe 10% health left. Anyway, one of the knife guys throws a knife at me, and I am cursing because I am not going to be able to dodge the knife in time. I accidentally did a headbutt, and I literally headbutted the knife out of the air! It was great, but I am not planning to make a habit of it.

Mar 31, 2011 at 3:09:00 AM
WaverBoy (1)

(Jeff Nelson) < Eggplant Wizard >
Washington
On the stage 3 Abobos, I make sure my skill level is maxed and then take them out with the elbow move. Does the most damage per hit.

Mar 31, 2011 at 8:22:00 AM
Zing (23)
Ontario
I try elbows, but I get hit just about as much as when I kick.

They aren't that hard, but if I am worn down a bit from the other enemies, I can get in trouble.

Edited: 03/31/2011 at 08:22 AM by Zing

Mar 31, 2011 at 8:24:01 AM
Berserker (41)
(< • • ll Andrew O. ll • • >) < Kraid Killer >
New Hampshire
I can't stand this game. Got really far by being cautious and careful.
Then the time ran out. I didn't even notice the clock. Grrr!

Mar 31, 2011 at 8:30:21 PM
iressivor (8)
(Joe Pingree) < Meka Chicken >
Michigan
I HATE that fucking wall! Which sucks, because I really like the game otherwise.

Apr 1, 2011 at 1:02:52 AM
Retrogradio (0)
(Al Gritzmacher) < Meka Chicken >
New York
Double Dragon II is the one I always play. The tornado kick was a fantastic addition and I feel the game just plays smoother than the original. My only gripe is that the section of the lair with the disappearing platforms is just too damned difficult. The jumping has always been pretty awkward in that series, and for a section that requires precision, the controls just didn't cut it. I've only gotten past that section a handful of times even though I can get there on one or two lives without a hitch.

Apr 5, 2011 at 2:06:33 AM
Zing (23)
Ontario
I give up on this game for now. It's just too frustrating to lose 3/4 of my health, or sometimes several lives, to the random blocks.