Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Banner Ads Oh no... here they come!

Jun 27 at 1:03:08 AM
Richardhead (13)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado
Originally posted by: Archon 1981

I legit didnt notice it. My podcast banner is more intrusive.

And what a fine podcast it is. Banner should be more intrusive IMO.

Jun 27 at 1:09:11 AM
Archon 1981 (20)
(Stephan Reese) < Meka Chicken >
California
Originally posted by: Richardhead

Originally posted by: Archon 1981

I legit didnt notice it. My podcast banner is more intrusive.

And what a fine podcast it is. Banner should be more intrusive IMO.

Your check is in the mail.

-------------------------

Listen on Sound Cloud: https://soundcloud.com/collectors...
Listen on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podca...
Find me on Instagram! https://www.instagram.com/archon1...

Jun 27 at 1:19:36 AM
the tall guy (130)
(Randy the Astonishing) < Bowser >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: jfreakofkorn

What made this site unique and that stood out from the rest, was NO banners or ads

Not even in the slightest.

Have you really been a member here for 9 years just because we didn't have ads and banners?  THAT of all things is what made NA stand out?

"Meeting internet dudes is what being a dude on the internet is all about!"  ~OSG 

Edited: 06/27/2019 at 01:19 AM by the tall guy

Jun 27 at 6:26:24 AM
SNESNESCUBE64 (42)
(Halloween Yoshi) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
Originally posted by: yukfou

Originally posted by: User123

We should all put that as our avatar

Lol done

Also done.

Y-akuza
O-perations
S-ecure
H-is
I-ncome

Jun 27 at 6:30:16 AM
yukfou (107)
(Great Dragon) < King Solomon >
Maryland
Originally posted by: MrWunderful

Are we going to get some ad revenue for generating content that brings the views and clicks in?

Also, if the ads start slowing down page loadings and whatnot, I'm out. I avoid several websites because of how choppy the ads make them, and I'm sure I'm not alone with that. Also, I see this changed quickly. I thought the site didn't get enough eyeballs to make ads worth it? "Will NA get monetized like crazy? Nope. Seriously everyone - the site doesn't get enough eyeballs to make enough money to counteract the outpour of disgust from the community that would likely result. If ads do ever get added, it will be minimal and pertain to collecting." http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadi...
So basically he did exactly what he said he was going to do? Looks like you caught him red handed. 

That update was on may 28th. His statement started with the site doesn't get enough traffic to make it worth it, then he said if ads ever do get implemented, implying that that is very very unlikely and would be far down the road if it ever happened, yet within less than a month we're getting ads.

My WTB thread
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Jun 27 at 8:08:21 AM
Boosted52405 (487)
(Eric Bizzle) < Bowser >
Iowa
Lol at the complaints. This is a free to join site that has been a big part of many lives. They're banner ads, like literally every...other....site...out...there.

Plus I think the new owner said the ads would be focused on interests of the community.

Edited: 06/27/2019 at 08:08 AM by Boosted52405

Jun 27 at 8:13:59 AM
SNESNESCUBE64 (42)
(Halloween Yoshi) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
Originally posted by: Boosted52405

Lol at the complaints. This is a free to join site that has been a big part of many lives. They're banner ads, like literally every...other....site...out...there.

Plus I think the new owner said the ads would be focused on interests of the community.

this. If you don't like unintrusive ads, simply don't log into the site or just get adblock like everyone else on the planet.

Y-akuza
O-perations
S-ecure
H-is
I-ncome

Jun 27 at 8:37:15 AM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California

Are we going to get some ad revenue for generating content that brings the views and clicks in?

Also, if the ads start slowing down page loadings and whatnot, I'm out. I avoid several websites because of how choppy the ads make them, and I'm sure I'm not alone with that. Also, I see this changed quickly. I thought the site didn't get enough eyeballs to make ads worth it? "Will NA get monetized like crazy? Nope. Seriously everyone - the site doesn't get enough eyeballs to make enough money to counteract the outpour of disgust from the community that would likely result. If ads do ever get added, it will be minimal and pertain to collecting." http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&thr...
So basically he did exactly what he said he was going to do? Looks like you caught him red handed. 

That update was on may 28th. His statement started with the site doesn't get enough traffic to make it worth it, then he said if ads ever do get implemented, implying that that is very very unlikely and would be far down the road if it ever happened, yet within less than a month we're getting ads.

How should the site make money then, since the patreon was cancelled and all the users are using it for free?  I would love to hear your ideas, maybe we can make the ads go away. 

Jun 27 at 8:42:53 AM
a3quit4s (24)
< Meka Chicken >
Western Australia

Also, if the ads start slowing down page loadings and whatnot, I'm out. I avoid several websites because of how choppy the ads make them, and I'm sure I'm not alone with that. Also, I see this changed quickly. I thought the site didn't get enough eyeballs to make ads worth it? "Will NA get monetized like crazy? Nope. Seriously everyone - the site doesn't get enough eyeballs to make enough money to counteract the outpour of disgust from the community that would likely result. If ads do ever get added, it will be minimal and pertain to collecting." http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&thr...

How should the site make money then, since the patreon was cancelled and all the users are using it for free?  I would love to hear your ideas, maybe we can make the ads go away. 

Seems to me like alot of stuff gets sold here. Let NA take a 1% fee from all sales. Probably work from a programming side though, luckily Jeff employs these people.

I don't really mind the ads, every site has them anyways. As long as they don't autoplay, have sound, and slow the site down. I was just providing a suggestion to gather revenue.

Edited: 06/27/2019 at 08:44 AM by a3quit4s

Jun 27 at 8:51:05 AM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: a3quit4s

Seems to me like alot of stuff gets sold here. Let NA take a 1% fee from all sales. Probably work from a programming side though, luckily Jeff employs these people.

I don't really mind the ads, every site has them anyways. As long as they don't autoplay, have sound, and slow the site down. I was just providing a suggestion to gather revenue.

Dude look at the rage over these ads. You think charging people to do transactions here would go over any better? We would have never ending temper tantrums. 

Edited: 06/27/2019 at 08:51 AM by MrWunderful

Jun 27 at 8:53:09 AM
zi (73)
(Tom Rag) < King Solomon >
New York

that's not "yukfou"'s job. I mean, the dude can't even spell fuck you correctly and you want him to step into revenue strategy?  

also, that's not any of our jobs. that's the job of the new guy who ostensibly purchased a site for information that's openly available to any user, but really saw 33k users (which is also wrong- we're really a couple of hundred active) as an easy base to boost hits on a memorabilia auction site.

But this change is going to happen and users are going to have a hard time rectifying what they think/want NA to be versus what it is. hell, it's changed from what it was 2014, or what it was in 2008, and we reserve the right to shake our fist at the cloud and then really dig into the Cobra Triangle discussion. I'm going to play Cobra Triangle. 

edit: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.

Edited: 06/27/2019 at 08:54 AM by zi

Jun 27 at 8:57:52 AM
a3quit4s (24)
< Meka Chicken >
Western Australia

Dude look at the rage over these ads. You think charging people to do transactions here would go over any better? We would have never ending temper tantrums. 

You will have never ending temper tantrums no matter what. Either way, NA needs to make money off the people who use it. Choose your poison.

Jun 27 at 9:30:07 AM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario

Also, if the ads start slowing down page loadings and whatnot, I'm out. I avoid several websites because of how choppy the ads make them, and I'm sure I'm not alone with that. Also, I see this changed quickly. I thought the site didn't get enough eyeballs to make ads worth it? "Will NA get monetized like crazy? Nope. Seriously everyone - the site doesn't get enough eyeballs to make enough money to counteract the outpour of disgust from the community that would likely result. If ads do ever get added, it will be minimal and pertain to collecting." http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadi...

You will have never ending temper tantrums no matter what. Either way, NA needs to make money off the people who use it. Choose your poison.

An interesting idea, but there would be riots in the proverbial streets. There's no way at all that it could even be enforced anyway - there are technically no true "transactions" on this site anyway, they are just called that. No money goes through NA, and so there's no way to shave that 1% off the top. Programming or no, they'd have to implement an entire payment gateway and then have people actually use it.

Realistically people would just carry on as usual and stop using the transaction system. Right now all it is is a "promise" that you'll fulfill your side of a bargain. I simply see no way at all for them to implement that successfully.

Jun 27 at 9:30:22 AM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California

It wouldnt even remotely work. People will just use the site to communicate, then take their transaction off site. 

Ill just live with the entitled whiners, their tears are what sustains my internet persona. 

Jun 27 at 10:21:05 AM
ap123 (65)
(Andrew P) < Meka Chicken >
New York

NintendoAge shouldn't have to make money. GoCollect will be using NA to enhance its service offering. The profits will come from GoCollect revenue, not directly through NA. It's part of the cost of doing business. As Jeff says in his original thread on the acquisition; "Our business [GoCollect] is already setup to absorb the types of expenses that came along with maintaining NA."

Jun 27 at 10:27:28 AM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: ap123

NintendoAge shouldn't have to make money. GoCollect will be using NA to enhance its service offering. The profits will come from GoCollect revenue, not directly through NA. It's part of the cost of doing business. As Jeff says in his original thread on the acquisition; "Our business [GoCollect] is already setup to absorb the types of expenses that came along with maintaining NA."

Maybe the ads on NA are going into gocollects fund then? I dont know, and dont really care quite frankly. Seeing the empty threats about “if this site gets ads im outta here” just gets old, and I will continue to call it out. 

I can see why Dain probably had enough, no matter how much work you put into something, people always want more for free. 

Jun 27 at 10:39:57 AM
ap123 (65)
(Andrew P) < Meka Chicken >
New York

Maybe the ads on NA are going into gocollects fund then? I dont know, and dont really care quite frankly. Seeing the empty threats about “if this site gets ads im outta here” just gets old, and I will continue to call it out. 

I can see why Dain probably had enough, no matter how much work you put into something, people always want more for free. 

I agree with you that people threatening to leave over banner ads are cutting their nose to spite their face. NA is no longer the passion project it used to be so we should all expect to see changes like this. People expressing their views on the changes is only natural though, even if they are negative.

Jun 27 at 10:46:43 AM
User123 (61)

< Lolo Lord >
Nevada
Come one you know these people ain't going nowhere no matter how much the complain about ads. Unless someone makes a similar forum and you get the bulk of the active members from here to go no one is going anywhere.

Jun 27 at 10:50:10 AM
a3quit4s (24)
< Meka Chicken >
Western Australia
Originally posted by: User123

Come one you know these people ain't going nowhere no matter how much the complain about ads. Unless someone makes a similar forum and you get the bulk of the active members from here to go no one is going anywhere.
Love the new avatar lol

Jun 27 at 10:59:35 AM
TDIRunner (17)
(Jon ) < King Solomon >
Illinois

NintendoAge shouldn't have to make money. 

No, but they should, at the very least, offset their opperating expenses.  

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Jun 27 at 11:11:14 AM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota
I think you guys are missing the big picture here. He had the nerve to add an "n" next to an "a" on the very top left of the page, right before the "nintendoAGE" huh???

That wasn't there yesterday! What the HELL!?!?!

The site is ruined, I'm out of here.

Edited: 06/27/2019 at 11:11 AM by B.A.

Jun 27 at 11:13:24 AM
ADMINISTRATOR
VGD (465)
(RL ) < Wiz's Mom >
Michigan
Originally posted by: B.A.

I think you guys are missing the big picture here. He had the nerve to add an "n" next to an "a" on the very top left of the page, right before the "nintendoAGE" huh???

Yeah me too! WTF!!!!

Jun 27 at 11:21:38 AM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Originally posted by: VGD

Originally posted by: B.A.

Yeah me too! WTF!!!!

I basically JUST joined the mod group but fuck it LET'S GO. Everybody head on over to NeoGaf.

Jun 27 at 11:38:55 AM
retrofixes (36)
< El Ripper >
North Carolina
Why does NA have a reputation of being full of whining babies?
Why is that? I just can't figure it out.

Jun 27 at 11:45:02 AM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Originally posted by: retrofixes

Why does NA have a reputation of being full of whining babies?
Why is that? I just can't figure it out.

xD