Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

2018 NA Weekly Contest Tournament : Final Round Contest ends Sunday, 11/18/18 at 11 PM NA Time

Nov 19, 2018 at 4:17:48 AM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
Congratulations to Bert on taking the championship this year and thank you all for participating.
It was a very fun experience and I am glad I could help with the contest this year.
We will be back next year for more.  

-------------------------
A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Nov 19, 2018 at 9:02:48 AM
Ausden (13)
(Jonathan ) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Well done Bert, congrats!

Nov 19, 2018 at 11:27:22 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Great scores everybody! Congratulations Bert on the win!

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Nov 19, 2018 at 11:30:03 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: skinnygrinny

Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

Same here! I can't wait to see who brings the title home this year!

Woah! Bearcat sighting! Good to see you dude. 

Things have been really busy around here, but I wanted to make sure to check in for the tournament finals!

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Nov 19, 2018 at 11:41:04 AM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

Originally posted by: gutsman004

Didn't put much effort into this. Only played it today and tried a couple of times. I had no shot. Again it all depended on the game chosen. For the next tournament may I suggest the games selected be ones everyone is either pretty good at,like maybe SMB or really bad at.
I mean... when SMB was selected last year I knew I had no shot.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Contests with games that "everyone is pretty good at" are among the toughest to win because they're so competitive.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Nov 19, 2018 at 12:07:25 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Did anyone else notice that the contest results are in the same order as the main leaderboard? Everybody performed exactly as would be predicted by their leaderboard positions.

bertsampson
tablew/chairs
arnpoly
mbd39
skinnygrinny
gutsman004

Nov 19, 2018 at 6:26:30 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Now what am I supposed to do  

I'm still going to no death this thing. Damn it burnses knowing I could have won. Just didn't play good enough. Got beat.

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Nov 20, 2018 at 6:43:12 AM
Yoshi (34)
< Meka Chicken >
Ohio
Congratulations Bert! And well done to the rest of finalists!

It was a pleasure competing with everyone. See you guys in 2019!

Dec 2, 2018 at 10:48:03 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: mbd39

I'm glad Bert won now. It's good to go out while on top.

I have played a few times since this week. I just choked on the second form of the final boss, he had maybe two bars of health left. I didn’t realize how burnt out I was with this game. I have it a few runs after the tournament but I almost had to force myself to play today   it’s such a good game I hate having that type a feeling towards it. I have the same feeling towards battletoads after that week. Sometimes I grind a game so much trying to win that I start to dislike it   

Dec 2, 2018 at 11:08:52 AM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

I have played a few times since this week. I just choked on the second form of the final boss, he had maybe two bars of health left. I didn’t realize how burnt out I was with this game. I have it a few runs after the tournament but I almost had to force myself to play today   it’s such a good game I hate having that type a feeling towards it. I have the same feeling towards battletoads after that week. Sometimes I grind a game so much trying to win that I start to dislike it   

I can usually get through the first six acts without dying and then mess up on act 7.

I knew going into the tournament that it's not an easy game to no-death. There were six of the best NES players in the finals and only Bert managed to do it. But I came frustratlingly close to beating arn's score and making top three.

Dec 2, 2018 at 11:33:09 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida

I can usually get through the first six acts without dying and then mess up on act 7.

I knew going into the tournament that it's not an easy game to no-death. There were six of the best NES players in the finals and only Bert managed to do it. But I came frustratlingly close to beating arn's score and making top three.

My run this morning where I choked on the second form boss scored 652200. Better than arm and I skip some points from items and use nippo on stage 6. 

If I would have had any kind of experience with this game before the week of things might have been different. 

Dec 2, 2018 at 5:16:19 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

My run this morning where I choked on the second form boss scored 652200. Better than arm and I skip some points from items and use nippo on stage 6. 

If I would have had any kind of experience with this game before the week of things might have been different. 

I'd say that anything over 600k is a great score for a one life run of Ninja Gaiden III. Over 500k is very good. Over 600k is great. Over 800k is an almost perfect run where you beat the game. 591k was the top score for the prior NG3 contest.

I had prior experience with NG3 but I was really rusty. I at least wanted to beat your score so that you couldn't brag about beating me at two different Ninja Gaiden games, heh.

Jan 19 at 1:30:10 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida

Originally posted by: bertsampson

Originally posted by: arnpoly

Don't look now guys but I'm in Act 7...

Figured somebody would pull some hijinks. I was planning on posting at 8, 11 NA time, but I had to put the 2 year old to bed. I'm posting with my phone now.

I’ve done it...

https://imgur.com/gallery/PsIlPBV

Jan 19 at 1:33:32 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida

It’s done. Now I can take it out of the nes. I had it go to the capture card but the program crashed. Go figure. good thing I still took a picture. I’ll try to get it on the capture card again though. 

Been playing it a couple times here and there since the tourney needed. This week I put it a run or two a day and today I been playing since around 7 am. 

This is is an awesome game.

Jan 19 at 1:35:57 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida
I think this pic shows the score a little better.

https://imgur.com/gallery/OI2u24v...

Jan 19 at 2:43:18 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

It’s done. Now I can take it out of the nes. I had it go to the capture card but the program crashed. Go figure. good thing I still took a picture. I’ll try to get it on the capture card again though. 

Been playing it a couple times here and there since the tourney needed. This week I put it a run or two a day and today I been playing since around 7 am. 

Congrats, man. Now go beat Battletoads!  

The original Japanese NG3 is much easier. I'm glad they increased the difficulty for the North American version. NG games should be tough.

Lately I've been obsessed with NES Bump n Jump. I'm already quite good at playing for score. I'll do fine the next time it appears in the contests. But I've been playing every day in the _hopes_ of eventually beating it. There are 16 stages and I've reached the end of 12. It's not that the game is super hard... mostly memorization. It's that it goes on forever with very limited lives and no continues. The rng can totally troll you as well.

Edited: 01/19/2019 at 03:00 PM by mbd39

Jan 19 at 3:00:12 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida

Congrats, man. Now go beat Battletoads!  

The original Japanese NG3 is much easier. I'm glad they made they increased the difficulty for the North American version. NG games should be tough.

Lately I've been obsessed with NES Bump n Jump. I'm already quite good at playing for score. I'll do fine the next time it appears in the contests. But I've been playing every day in the _hopes_ of eventually beating it. There are 16 stages and I've reached the end of 12. It's not that the game is super hard... mostly memorization. It's that it goes on forever with very limited lives and no continues. The rng can totally troll you as well.

ThankHow did you know! While I’m beating NG3 I was already thinking “I have unsettled business with battletoads”. 

Bump n jump was a decent fun game. I only played a little bit but it seemed enjoyable. 

Jan 19 at 3:08:23 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
Very nice score there, Skinny.  

Also, we will be posting news about the 2019 contest in the next 2 weeks or so. Stay tuned!  

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Jan 19 at 7:48:54 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida

Took another shot at it. Scored a little more and got the capture card footage. No death. Best bert by 40,000

https://imgur.com/gallery/BJaaHYV

Jan 19 at 7:50:35 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida
Originally posted by: Bea_Iank

Also, we will be posting news about the 2019 contest in the next 2 weeks or so. Stay tuned!  

Thank you bea! I wasn’t going to play any other nes game until I no death that thing. Awesome game. 

Im excited for the 2019 season. Thank you for all your help. 

Jan 20 at 1:36:29 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

Originally posted by: Bea_Iank

Thank you bea! I wasn’t going to play any other nes game until I no death that thing. Awesome game. 

Im excited for the 2019 season. Thank you for all your help. 

Good job. It looks like the fire shield is the best weapon to have for the final bosses. You made short work of them. I recall getting to the bosses with more time than what you had, but I choked.

I reached stage 13 in Bump n Jump today. I'm getting closer. I also hope that we play it this year.