Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

What do you use??? Cart cleaning ideas

Mar 10, 2007 at 7:44:29 PM
burdger (152)
(Ross Burdge) < Bowser >
Ohio
Just wondering what everyone uses to get certain things cleaned from their carts. I know most people use some solution of alcohol on their contacts, but what do you use if you get a cart that has a sticker on it, or better yet, a sticker on the label? What about marker? I know so far 91% alcohol has worked on just about everything for me.

Mar 10, 2007 at 8:45:16 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina

Mar 10, 2007 at 9:15:56 PM
burdger (152)
(Ross Burdge) < Bowser >
Ohio
That sounds pretty good. Does it work as well as an eraser? That's what I use for contacts. Maybe if it was a really dirty one, I'll do a quick once over with a q-tip and some alcohol.

What about stickers and marker?

Mar 10, 2007 at 9:28:10 PM
Braveheart69 (222)
(AKA BLACKBOXY) < Wiz's Mom >
Washington
Just don't be stupid like me and let your girlfriend put Nail polish remover on a cart. It cleans them too good and is harmful to cart. I use goo-b-gone but that doesn't get all marker off.

-------------------------

I HAVE IT ALL NOW NES WISE!  Unless you come across a Canadian DK JR MATH... if so I'm a Buyer!
USA GG set (Including all variants): COMPLETE!   Set includes 244 / 257 Sealed/NEW!
Euro GG set (Including all variants): Missing 9 boxes, 9 books, 9 carts.
Japan GG set: COMPLETE!  196/196
Brazil GG set: Have 61/68.  Need 5 boxes, 7 books, 3 carts.
GG Pirate Total68 different & Counting, Including Car Licence!
GG Prototypes:  4

Mar 10, 2007 at 10:23:38 PM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
Stickers: remove sticker with fingernail gently, then goo-gone (orange stuff). Keep away from label edges/tears/pinholes.

- side note, metallic rental-style - remove then use denatured alcohol rubbing gently until it dissolves and balls up on its own. (thanks NGD)

Sharpie and other marker - denatured alcohol. Use repeat applications and gently rub with q-tip or paper towel. Hard rubbing is unnecessary. Keep away from label edges. If it dries before you wipe it off and hazes, wet it with water and wipe away haze.

Contacts - Dain's solution, or if unavailable, 70% isopropyl alcohol and keep using q-tips until they come out clean.

Be gentle, use the right tool for the right job. Be ginger with labels.

Mar 11, 2007 at 12:24:03 AM
magoo8301 (14)
(Andrew Scharlow) < Crack Trooper >
Illinois
I used to use a product called versatle and an eraser on the contacts. But i had a game that looked so damn clean after using that stuff and it would not work . i wanted to play it real bad so i scrambles through the house looking for something else. I found a spray can of oven cleaner sprayed a bit on a q-tip and just passed it across the contacts and soo much black shit came off it was incredible. No i use that religiously. I havent noticed any ill effects to labels or plastic as its almost a foam substance as oppsed to liquid.

My auctions- http://www.chasethechuckwagon.com/sites/magoo8301/

Mar 11, 2007 at 1:40:29 AM
wrldstrman (107)
(doug prickett) < Master Higgins >
West Virginia
mr clean magic pads will remove any type of marker like a breeze..i use heat to remove stickers or of the are really old and dry and not on the actual label peanut butter let it sit on the stticker until the oils absorb into the paper

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

Mar 11, 2007 at 1:41:53 PM
BootGod (16)
(Mark Lacey) < Meka Chicken >
Minnesota
wrldstrman: Thanks for the tip with the Mr. Clean pads, I picked some up this morning, they do work pretty damn good!

Mar 12, 2007 at 12:22:15 AM
burdger (152)
(Ross Burdge) < Bowser >
Ohio
I haven't heard of a lot of these ideas. Just today I went and bought a few games, some goo-gone, some of that cook top range cleaner (all I could find was the glass top cleaner), and some magic erasers. Everyone of them worked amazingly. I only encountered two problems. One was a long security strip that was stuck all across the back of a cart. I peeled it off, but nothing would take off its residue. The second was some marker on a gold Adventures of Link. I ended up taking off quite a bit of the gold before I noticed.

Mar 12, 2007 at 7:26:37 AM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
You need to get De-Natured Alcohol to get off the resiue of stickers. I wrote a guide on ebay about how to do it. Just search for my user name, same as the one here.
~~NGD

Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Mar 14, 2007 at 10:46:33 AM
WERY (0)
(Johan L) < Eggplant Wizard >
Sweden
Rubber gums, tops for earcleaning and t-red, a liquor.

The Duce
Brother of Bros

My NES Collection
Goin' for a complete USA licensed collection on the NES