Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

FOR DISPLAY ONLY Game Boy boxes?

Sep 26 at 9:17:48 PM
8bitsupremacy (35)
(8bit Supremacy) < Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
Alright so I recently got a lot of empty Game Boy boxes and noticed a few had red "For Display Only" stickers on them, didn't think much of it at first but then I realized the Star Wars ones didn't actually have stickers but instead the red "FOR DISPLAY ONLY" strip was printed into the art itself...I couldn't find any info at all on any of these online so I tossed one of the Star Wars boxes on eBay to see what would happen, ended up getting $70 for it...so that's neat, but ultimately this thread is not to discuss value, more so just to see if anyone has any info on these things? I would assume they were issued by Nintendo for store display copies but does that mean the not for resale carts accompanied them? Does anyone know what stores got them? Was it exclusive to a Blockbuster (half joking)? What other games got the For Display Only treatment? Mostly just curious...thanks. Pic attached.

-------------------------
NES: 763 north american carts (+22 PAL exclusives)
IG acct: @8bitsupremacy

Edited: 09/27/2019 at 10:31 AM by 8bitsupremacy

Sep 26 at 9:39:56 PM
8bitsupremacy (35)
Illinois
One more thing....one of these Star Wars boxes is completely unopened and has a clear sticker seal holding the flap down, so I guess there never were carts inside maybe? Here is a pic.

Sep 26 at 10:05:57 PM
coffeewithmrsaturn (366)
(Chris ) < Bowser >
California
I don't know if there's a list anywhere, but I have seen these types of boxes with the text actually printed on them (or on the artwork for Wii and Gamecube) for most Nintendo systems. They are very cool. People sometimes pair them with NFR items, but afaik they were not actually distributed that way exclusively (if at all).

Have any GBA NFR games with back stickers for sale or trade?  See my want list below :)
My WTB: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."  --Upton Sinclair

Sep 27 at 2:34:20 AM
Tyree_Cooper (37)
< Meka Chicken >
Other
box weight? shake it a bit? is a cart and/or manual inside?

my trade list

Sep 27 at 2:41:07 AM
8bitsupremacy (35)
Illinois
Originally posted by: Tyree_Cooper

box weight? shake it a bit? is a cart and/or manual inside?

Zilch, it's empty.

Sep 27 at 5:56:14 AM
Sign Collector Guy (8)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States
Originally posted by: 8bitsupremacy

Alright so I recently got a lot of empty Game Boy boxes and noticed a few had red "For Display Only" stickers on them, didn't think much of it at first but then I realized the Star Wars ones didn't actually have stickers but instead the red "FOR DISPLAY ONLY" strip was printed into the art itself...I couldn't find any info at all on any of these online so I tossed one of the Star Wars boxes on eBay to see what would happen, ended up getting $70 for it...so that's neat, but ultimately this thread is not to discuss value but more so just to see if anyone has any info on these things? I would assume they were issued by Nintendo for store display copies but does that mean the not for resale carts accompanied them? Does anyone know what stores got them? Was it exclusive to a Blockbuster (half joking)? What other games got the For Display Only treatment? Mostly just curious...thanks. Pic attached.

The way I understand it as I have a couple sets of the SNES boxes around 23 total I think, is that they were 3rd party licensed boxes and official. Nice stuff. I havent really seen GB ones before so pretty cool.

Sep 27 at 6:30:00 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
I actually hadn't seen the PC GB Display boxes before, but I don't actively pay attention to them other than N64 ones. The SNES ones are pretty common.

I actually have a For Display Box with a matching NFR cart up on ebay now. Bought it from a former Nintendo employee years ago. Not sure if they pieced it together but it was sold to me this way.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Sep 27 at 6:34:52 AM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
No game or inserts would accompany these (unless from a Nintendo employee like Jonebone has)
These boxes would sit on top of the racks of stores like Babbages, Electronics Boutiques, etc to showcase a new release

Sep 29 at 7:14:02 PM
adler_0 (60)
(Jesse Hric) < Meka Chicken >
Oregon
there are "for display only" boxes for just about every nintendo console. The nes has warios woods. Tons of gameboy titles, pokemon, etc.

------------------------------------------------------------

Looking for any "display only" N64 boxes.  PM me, $$$.

Sep 29 at 7:22:09 PM
User123 (61)

< Lolo Lord >
Nevada
Originally posted by: Trj22487

No game or inserts would accompany these (unless from a Nintendo employee like Jonebone has)
These boxes would sit on top of the racks of stores like Babbages, Electronics Boutiques, etc to showcase a new release

Actually they would go on wall displays not racks 

http://nintendoagemedia.com/users/21127/photobucket/4ECBEE6F...

Oct 03 at 9:58:49 AM
adler_0 (60)
(Jesse Hric) < Meka Chicken >
Oregon
Originally posted by: User123

Originally posted by: Trj22487

Actually they would go on wall displays not racks 

http://nintendoagemedia.com/users/21127/photobucket/4ECBEE6F...

they would go in both those displays and on shelves/racks. 

------------------------------------------------------------

Looking for any "display only" N64 boxes.  PM me, $$$.

Oct 03 at 10:05:39 AM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
Yeah I remember them being on top of central racks at Electronic Boutiques and Babbages vividly

Edited: 10/03/2019 at 10:05 AM by Trj22487