Ebay Return - Item as undescribed qeusiton

Jan 7, 2018 at 8:20:10 PM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia
Originally posted by: beardcore84

Originally posted by: Ichinisan

I love when I find stuff like that in games. My copy of MUSHA had a small review written in the back by the previous owner who was most likely a teenage boy. It was fun to read his review. i don't see why people get up in arms on this kind of stuff.

You have a picture of that?  

Robert Hunter, wherever you are, nice review!  

Edit: Sorry this image is so huge. I tried editing it three times to make it smaller but it won't get any smaller.  

That's really cool  

Jan 7, 2018 at 8:21:53 PM
beardcore84 (7)
(Cody ) < Meka Chicken >
Nebraska
I love it personally. Damaged is one thing but to see someones memories on paper like that, I think it's great.  

-------------------------
Follow me on Instagram - CodysGameRoom

Jan 7, 2018 at 8:38:35 PM
gliptitude (0)
(J D) < Crack Trooper >
Ohio

Originally posted by: Tom Cruise

I just checked and it was listed as video games and consoles > wholesale lots > games. The reason why I think it should be not as described is because the pictures hide any sort of damage and he made zero attempt to reveal the fact that they were marked on the high score pages. I would say that anything added after they left the factory would count as damage. But I guess well see.

The pictures do not "hide" the "pen writing". I posted these items with no knowledge of the writing. If the value of these items justified a full inspection, I would have listed them individually, instead of in a low cost and freely shipped BIN or best offer. I ALSO WOULD HAVE MADE SUCH AN INSPECTION IF YOU ASKED ME TO BEFORE BUYING. It says in my listing "ask any questions". If only a few of the toss in items in a lot listing interest you and if the condition of those toss in items is important to you and if the picture only shows one view of those items, don't you think you need to make an inquiry before you develop such a specific expectation of what the condition of those specific items is?

I did not charge you for shipping. As far as I can tell there is no way for me to charge you for return shipping at this point either. But both of those things cost me money.

There is no "well see" and this is not something that happens beyond your control or anonymously. If you stick to your claim eBay is going to side with you because you're the buyer and that's how eBay works. Either I voluntarily acquiesce or eBay forces me to.

But the idea behind the communication process is that we actually come to an agreement. Do you believe you are entitled to a refund? Does it make sense to you that I will have paid to ship this to you and paid to have it shipped back to me? Does it make sense that I compromised with you on the price, followed your specific instructions on packaging the items, and promptly and securely shipped these to you, only to find out over a week later that you found pen writing and want to call the whole thing off? Do you accept ANY of the risk in this transaction?

If you do not believe these things then you should cancel your refund request on eBay. If you do believe these things and think it is fair for you to maintain this complaint then you need to never buy from me again. 

.. On planet Earth, regardless of what's right or wrong or who's who or how much money anything is worth, I happen to think these high scores are really neat and contribute positively to the artifact of these manuals. I reposted your photos on atariage:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/...

Jan 7, 2018 at 8:55:30 PM
VmprHntrD (0)
< El Ripper >
United States
Wow I read various boards and saw the other side of this at atariage. Tom you're as delusional as the real Tom Cruise is if you think you're not being the complete and total jerk in this.

It is a set of used items, and given the age of them the condition are out of this world. They're listed as used and nothing is deceptive or lacking in the listing to the level of being worth opening a case. Being one of those scary ebay trolls people grumble about how sellers get the shaft from ingrates is where this sits. So what if there are scores written in the book? They're written in the part of the book meant for scores and notes. This would be considered not only acceptable wear and tear but also general and proper use of a product intended by the manufacturer. If you were that concerned you should have asked a question about that first and having not done that and paid that's your fault, not his.

With the comments in this thread including from staff saying you're in the wrong you really need to if you opened up a case on this put your big boy pants on and close it out as you're being a little brat about it. As someone who sells their old stuff on ebay for years now too, nitpicking kids like yourself scare the crap out of me because no matter how good a listing is within the rules eventually ebay is going to eventually due to people like you take a seller out behind the barn and rob and beat their ass and get away with it.

Maybe you could all do us a favor and tell us your ebay id so we can block you if that's how you operate.

Jan 7, 2018 at 9:40:15 PM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia
Originally posted by: VmprHntrD
Maybe you could all do us a favor and tell us your ebay id so we can block you if that's how you operate.
Exactly what I was thinking, and I've never blocked anyone before.

Jan 7, 2018 at 10:12:43 PM
OptOut (10)
(Taiwan PAL Gamer ) < Lolo Lord >
Taiwan
OP is just upset because the hi scores written in the manuals are far higher than his own PBs! If the previous owner sucked a little harder, we wouldn't be having this conversation, lol!  

***Help me finish my N64 set!!!***
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&th...
***I will pay good money for YOUR shovelware sports games!!!***

Jan 7, 2018 at 10:32:03 PM
xMaGuSx (60)
< Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Can't buy used items with no real description and just assume they are mint condition. His username is in the atariage thread linked above if you plan on blocking him.

Suck it up and just keep them, they are in good enough condition for what you paid anyway. And this isn't really the sellers fault, gotta have some accountability.

gamevaluenow

Jan 7, 2018 at 10:46:48 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California

I love when I find stuff like that in games. My copy of MUSHA had a small review written in the back by the previous owner who was most likely a teenage boy. It was fun to read his review. i don't see why people get up in arms on this kind of stuff.

You have a picture of that?  

Robert Hunter, wherever you are, nice review!  

Edit: Sorry this image is so huge. I tried editing it three times to make it smaller but it won't get any smaller.  

That is really neat.  Im going to start looking through my manuals more.

Jan 8, 2018 at 12:35:32 AM
VmprHntrD (0)
< El Ripper >
United States
I know it probably is outside the realm as I haven't had a use for it but this site does have that Hall of Shame. Perhaps our topic starter should be added to it as a warning to others if that's allowed. No one here should have to be a victim of this level of ebay snark when nothing was wrong with the listing. Anyone fishing this hard is a liability to anyone here who is a collector, gamer, or seller who pass goods along. Attitudes like this makes people hate selling even further, trust even less, and make less want to bother if they're going to need to photograph every angle on a game, every side of a box, every side of an insert, and every page in a manual to avoid unreasonable levels of self imposed butt hurt and snowflake entitlement behavior.

Jan 8, 2018 at 12:39:01 AM
Loxx O))) (19)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Fat Man Kraid) < Bowser >
Washington
Hall of shame was closed a while ago.

Jan 8, 2018 at 6:43:28 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Originally posted by: Tom Cruise

Hey guys just curious about a return. I bought 4 vectrex games from an ebay seller with manuals and the poicture showed everything to be in nice shape. The listing stated the condition was simply used, no acceptable or anything like that. The description was that what was included in the pictures was what you got. So I bought them and everything was in good shape except when I opened the manuals they all had high scores written in the back. This wasn{t mentioned anywhere in the listing, nor was it in the photos. So I contacted the seller and he basically told me to screw off and that he wouldn't accept a return so I opened a case. And I stated the items were not as described by the pictures. there was no indication the manuals had been damaged by pen. And he sent me the following: 

This transaction was for a multi-item lot of 35 year old consumer items. These items are used and were described as such. They are not described as new, mint or like-new or collector's quality. The manuals, including the high score tables shown in the buyer's detailed photos, were previously used for their intended purpose. There is no conflict between the description of the items in the original listing the items that the buyer received. They are used items and there was no advertised or implied purpose of these items which has expired. The purpose of the high score tables inside of the manuals is to write high scores in them. The high score tables are used. They are still able to be used some more and the item is as described.

He basically says that he is right because he stated as used, but my question is will ebay still protect me under the money back guarentee as the items had damage to them that wasn't mentioned? 

Thank all! 
Why haven't you responded in this thread after the initial post?  Do you still feel you are in the right after reading everyone's responses?  

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Jan 8, 2018 at 3:14:21 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Originally posted by: VmprHntrD

I know it probably is outside the realm as I haven't had a use for it but this site does have that Hall of Shame. Perhaps our topic starter should be added to it as a warning to others if that's allowed. No one here should have to be a victim of this level of ebay snark when nothing was wrong with the listing. Anyone fishing this hard is a liability to anyone here who is a collector, gamer, or seller who pass goods along. Attitudes like this makes people hate selling even further, trust even less, and make less want to bother if they're going to need to photograph every angle on a game, every side of a box, every side of an insert, and every page in a manual to avoid unreasonable levels of self imposed butt hurt and snowflake entitlement behavior.

The HOS closed nearly a year before your join date.  

Jan 8, 2018 at 3:53:47 PM
VmprHntrD (0)
< El Ripper >
United States
I'm aware of that now. I've been around off and on a long time but only recently signed up to post. I never noticed it was put to bed.

Also believe perhaps the original poster hasn't responded to all this perhaps because maybe Xenu beamed him back to the dc-8 looking mothership so they can go hunt down some thetans?

Jan 8, 2018 at 11:16:36 PM
OptOut (10)
(Taiwan PAL Gamer ) < Lolo Lord >
Taiwan
Nah, he just finally managed to beat the hi score in one of the books, and so now he's feverishly playing the other 3 games to do the same...

If he achieves his goal, we can breathe a sigh of relief and /thread. If he rage quits, we'll be in for more trouble here!

***Help me finish my N64 set!!!***
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&th...
***I will pay good money for YOUR shovelware sports games!!!***

Jan 8, 2018 at 11:33:09 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Really? I think he's just mad that he's in the wrong

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Jan 11, 2018 at 8:30:01 PM
phart010 (8)
(Paul Hart) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
I read through this case. If the seller looked through every page and noticed writing, he should have said something. But if he didn't, no harm since it was listed as used. I think that minor defects like bends, creases, tears, writing etc are all implied under the term "used"

I think the seller had no obligation to accept the return but if he wanted to be a nice guy he could have voluntarily offered a return.

Jan 12, 2018 at 2:59:14 PM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: Bert

Really? I think he's just mad that he's in the wrong

On TWO forums, lol!

Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

If you've got any of the above for sale, hit me up!

Jan 12, 2018 at 4:22:14 PM
Meteor_of_War (21)
< El Ripper >
Massachusetts
Condition item specifics for "Used" in the video games > wholesale lots category is as follows:

Used: An item that has been used previously. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections

I'm inclinced to side with the buyer on this.  I have always felt like writing of any sort on games or manuals should be disclosed somewhere in the description, especially if its on paper and can't be washed off.  I always make sure to check for writing before creating my listings. 

If the seller was unaware of it they should compromise in some way by honoring the return request.  It may suck to hear for a lot who primarily sell, but that's part of being a good seller according to Ebay, which is the site you agreed to do your business on.  Responsibility of the listing falls on the seller and they need to make the buyer happy, period.  That's just how it goes.  Either way Ebay is most likely to take care of the buyer here anyways.

Edited: 01/12/2018 at 04:51 PM by Meteor_of_War

Jan 13, 2018 at 11:57:39 AM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia
Originally posted by: Meteor_of_War

Condition item specifics for "Used" in the video games > wholesale lots category is as follows:

Used: An item that has been used previously. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections

I'm inclinced to side with the buyer on this.  I have always felt like writing of any sort on games or manuals should be disclosed somewhere in the description, especially if its on paper and can't be washed off.  I always make sure to check for writing before creating my listings. 

If the seller was unaware of it they should compromise in some way by honoring the return request.  It may suck to hear for a lot who primarily sell, but that's part of being a good seller according to Ebay, which is the site you agreed to do your business on.  Responsibility of the listing falls on the seller and they need to make the buyer happy, period.  That's just how it goes.  Either way Ebay is most likely to take care of the buyer here anyways.

I would not want to encourage a buyer like OP. He doesn't appreciate the good deal he got. There's just no way some sellers can visibly inspect and document the condition of each page of each manual in a multi game lot sold as "used" with an excellent price. If it's such a deal breaker for OP, then OP needs to ask questions before buying and making the seller spend time + effort + money to send it. 

A system that doesn't allow sellers to give negative feedback on buyers leads to this kind of flippant buyer behavior.

Edited: 01/13/2018 at 12:02 PM by Ichinisan

Jan 13, 2018 at 12:11:34 PM
Boosted52405 (487)
(Eric Bizzle) < Bowser >
Iowa

Or if the OP is this nit picky about condition, they shouldn't buy "used" lots without reaching out and asking additional questions when the detail is lacking.  A used lot is just that - used.  If the description was lacking the level of detail he needs for comfort, then he shouldn't have handled it with a buy-first ask-later mentality.  Buying used lots always welcomes this "risk" and it's absurd to expect the seller to detail out everything - especially in decently sized "wholesale" lots.

Jan 13, 2018 at 12:30:59 PM
Meteor_of_War (21)
< El Ripper >
Massachusetts
In principle i agree with both of you. But I'm just judging the situation as it is, which is buying/selling on eBay. I've been dealing with eBay long enough that i understand and accept everything with the listing is the responsibility of the seller, and i sell on eBay with that mind set. EBay is set up for the buyer to have the right to return an item they feel is not exactly what they expected. That has been a cornerstone of their policy for a while now. And no I don't think it's the buyer's responsibility when shopping on eBay to have to ask questions before buying, seeing how they structure their policies for buyers.

But like i said, i agree with the idea in principle that buyers should exercise due diligence and try to be fair. But that's not how things work on eBay and ignorance of that leads to these little spats. You give up that expectation when using eBay to sell which regardless of how much sellers complain about the policies, is still the best and most far reaching market to sell their items.

Jan 13, 2018 at 1:40:29 PM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia

In principle i agree with both of you. But I'm just judging the situation as it is, which is buying/selling on eBay. I've been dealing with eBay long enough that i understand and accept everything with the listing is the responsibility of the seller, and i sell on eBay with that mind set. EBay is set up for the buyer to have the right to return an item they feel is not exactly what they expected. That has been a cornerstone of their policy for a while now. And no I don't think it's the buyer's responsibility when shopping on eBay to have to ask questions before buying, seeing how they structure their policies for buyers.

But like i said, i agree with the idea in principle that buyers should exercise due diligence and try to be fair. But that's not how things work on eBay and ignorance of that leads to these little spats. You give up that expectation when using eBay to sell which regardless of how much sellers complain about the policies, is still the best and most far reaching market to sell their items.

"And no I don't think it's the buyer's responsibility when shopping on eBay to have to ask questions before buying, ..."

If this sort of thing is a deal breaker, it should be the buyer's responsibility to ask. Otherwise, the buyer has wasted the seller's money, time, effort, and generosity (in this case).

Jan 13, 2018 at 2:26:06 PM
CZroe (31)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia

It seems that you are hung up on the part about “imperfections” being in the description. It’s obviously only talking about FURTHER “imperfections” than one would expect from the description of “used.” “Used” already describes typical imperfections from normal use. If the cover was torn off and pages or staples were missing, then we’d have an imperfection beyond what was already described by “used,” which is exactly what they are saying should be in the description. A used item described as used and showing only typical signs of normal use would not be a defect or additional “imperfection.” For someone concerned with the exact level of normal wear and tear to the point that the OP is (someone concerned with how “used” it is), he should not be hiding behind delusions of what constitutes “used” versus additional damage/defects/imperfections.

Edited: 01/13/2018 at 04:23 PM by CZroe

Jan 13, 2018 at 5:39:06 PM
Meteor_of_War (21)
< El Ripper >
Massachusetts

"And no I don't think it's the buyer's responsibility when shopping on eBay to have to ask questions before buying, ..."

If this sort of thing is a deal breaker, it should be the buyer's responsibility to ask. Otherwise, the buyer has wasted the seller's money, time, effort, and generosity (in this case).

You state that in a very matter-of-fact manner.  But you are disregarding that it can be viewed from the opposite perspective as well.  If the seller is opposed to a buyer wanting a refund for any specific imperfections (like in this case), then maybe they should have stated those imperfections in the description to avoid this.  THAT would have been the proper way to avoid wasting his money, time, effort, and generosity.  Come on man, you know how Ebay works.  As a seller you need to be vigilant in describing your item for sale as thoroughly accurate as possible, at least when it comes to obvious things like writing on the item(s).

Jan 13, 2018 at 5:39:11 PM
Meteor_of_War (21)
< El Ripper >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: CZroe

It seems that you are hung up on the part about “imperfections” being in the description. It’s obviously only talking about FURTHER “imperfections” than one would expect from the description of “used.” “Used” already describes typical imperfections from normal use. If the cover was torn off and pages or staples were missing, then we’d have an imperfection beyond what was already described by “used,” which is exactly what they are saying should be in the description. A used item described as used and showing only typical signs of normal use would not be a defect or additional “imperfection.” For someone concerned with the exact level of normal wear and tear to the point that the OP is (someone concerned with how “used” it is), he should not be hiding behind delusions of what constitutes “used” versus additional damage/defects/imperfections.

Its debatable that writing in the manuals could be constituted as normal use.  Personally I see that as being beyond normal use since its not a sign of use that's going to happen in normally enjoying the item, and its especially a problem when it was not at all described in the listing which is the biggest issue and why I have no problem with the buyer wanting a refund. 

Also should be noted, I am arguing exclusively within Ebay's policies, not my own principles (which seems like is what you and everyone else in the thread on the seller's side is doing).  We have to see this from the perspective of Ebay's policy.  The buyer received something that was not up to par with what he believed he bought, and he was accurate in that assessment.  Him wanting a refund is totally warranted given Ebay's policy on the matter, end of story.

Edited: 01/13/2018 at 05:54 PM by Meteor_of_War