Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Bootleg SNES carts

Mar 1, 2010 at 9:57:28 PM
El Macbee (0)
(Marcelo Barbosa) < Crack Trooper >
Brazil
Hello! This is my first post. I love to visit this forum and decided to join today.
I always read questions about 8-bit NES bootlegs but how about SUPER NINTENDO pirate carts?

I don't know if they are rare or common... But how much is the cost of SNES bootlegs like this:

I bought this in Brazil.
Sorry about my bad English!
El Macbee

Edited: 03/01/2010 at 09:58 PM by El Macbee

Mar 1, 2010 at 10:06:26 PM
40016a (17)
(austin holcomb) < Eggplant Wizard >
Kansas
i think there jappenise snes carts not bootlegs

-------------------------

Mar 1, 2010 at 10:10:22 PM
ozzman (59)
(Bella's Husband) < Meka Chicken >
United States
That is a super fami game.

Why is it everyone on NA gets to talk to my wife more than I do?

Mar 1, 2010 at 10:17:05 PM
El Macbee (0)
Brazil
Back of an original SFC cart:

Back of my pirate Megaman 7 (no screws, no japanese text, no Nintendo logo and 2 holes to let it enter on American SNES consoles):

Edited: 03/01/2010 at 10:20 PM by El Macbee

Mar 1, 2010 at 10:17:17 PM
Laurie (42)
(Levar Burtons' Magically Wonderful Deluxe Sundae Machine) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario
Yep, thats a Super Famicom game. And its Rockman 7, and I presume that it's complete, so you have $75-$90 right there, judging by the copies that I've seen on ebay.

Mar 1, 2010 at 10:20:30 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
That back is a bit weird, but it's still a legit copy.  Some US releases have embossed backs, I see no reason Japan wouldn't do the same.  Good snag

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Edited: 03/01/2010 at 10:21 PM by the_wizard_666

Mar 1, 2010 at 10:25:48 PM
El Macbee (0)
Brazil
Originally posted by: the_wizard_666

That back is a bit weird, but it's still a legit copy.  Some US releases have embossed backs, I see no reason Japan wouldn't do the same.  Good snag

Trust me - it's fake!
Some of my SNES bootlegs looks like originals - like Megaman 7.
But I also have laughable frauds like Donkey Kong Country: Only for SUPER GAME =D

Mar 1, 2010 at 10:34:44 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
LOL! Okay, I believe you! Brazil is known for being full of bootleg games, but I have no clue what they'd be worth. Depends if someone's looking for pirated games I suppose.

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."

Mar 1, 2010 at 10:45:25 PM
El Macbee (0)
Brazil

LOL! Okay, I believe you! Brazil is known for being full of bootleg games, but I have no clue what they'd be worth. Depends if someone's looking for pirated games I suppose.

OK, thanks for your attention =D
We used to had all sorts of pirated stuff back in the 90s.. Pitfall for instance had the japanese designs for cart and box -- but all the art is american:

Mickey Mouse 3 could pass like another convincing bootleg - if the pirate guys didn't put it on a pirate cartridge with american SNES design:

Mar 1, 2010 at 10:48:42 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
I wonder if they did that intentionally or if they were just that dumb

Mar 1, 2010 at 10:54:29 PM
El Macbee (0)
Brazil

I wonder if they did that intentionally or if they were just that dumb

I guess they're dumb =D
But is this lack of knowledge and good taste that makes bootlegs so cool.

How could I resist a SUPER ENTERTAINMENT GAME CARTRIDGE? It had to be mine!

Mar 1, 2010 at 10:55:16 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
So do you collect pirate carts or do you just happen to have a ton of them?

Mar 1, 2010 at 11:11:16 PM
El Macbee (0)
Brazil

So do you collect pirate carts or do you just happen to have a ton of them?

I have a ton of them... Just a few games sold in Brazil used to be originals. Piracy was predominant in Brazil until Bit Torrent vanish all the street vendors of bootlegs.

And I guess I'm one of the few Brazilian guys that actually cares about those ugly boxes and don't send  them to the garbage can. The pirate stuff that appears on Ebay are usually loose - but most of them originally had boxes. I have all sorts of unbelievable pirate stuff for NES, Super NES, PlayStation 1 and PlayStation 2.

Today we get our "next-gen" games on Internet and burn them in blank DVDs with purple surface.
However in the 90s PlayStation bootlegs were silver pressed CDs with labels and pirate boxes. Brazil is a treasure island for lovers of the bizarre!

Edited: 03/01/2010 at 11:12 PM by El Macbee

Mar 1, 2010 at 11:15:12 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
That's cool. I've only got a handful of NES pirates myself, although they're all in my outgoing box except a couple. Only keeping the ones that have games that weren't released in North America, the rest I'd rather own legit. Also have a couple pirate Game Boy multicarts and a Genesis pirate (The Punisher...gonna sell it when I get a legit CIB, but I doubt that'll happen for a while). Never seen any SNES pirates before though...well, until now

Mar 1, 2010 at 11:31:18 PM
El Macbee (0)
Brazil

That's cool. I've only got a handful of NES pirates myself, although they're all in my outgoing box except a couple. Only keeping the ones that have games that weren't released in North America, the rest I'd rather own legit. Also have a couple pirate Game Boy multicarts and a Genesis pirate (The Punisher...gonna sell it when I get a legit CIB, but I doubt that'll happen for a while). Never seen any SNES pirates before though...well, until now

Yeah I love pirated NES games but since the mid 90s they're all made on those ugly yellow carts.
My favorite NES pirate is this multicart with 8 great games: Contra, Megaman 1, Jackal, Life Force, Rush N' Attack, Rygar, Ghosts N' Gobblins and Fire Bird (Hi No TorI).

Mar 1, 2010 at 11:51:30 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Well, you might want to peek around the database. I didn't see that one when I searched for pirate multicarts, so you may want to mention this one to Dain...

Edited: 03/01/2010 at 11:51 PM by the_wizard_666

Mar 2, 2010 at 2:49:12 AM
introless (24)
(random guy) < Eggplant Wizard >
California
Wow, finally someone who appears to have grown up in a country with pirate games and actually kept the original boxes, and appreciated them! As a pirate collector I just never see that! Do you have access to Megadrive pirates over there still? Happen to own any? My favorite system as far as pirates go.

Mar 2, 2010 at 2:58:42 AM
ThePlague (4)
(Mat Riot) < Eggplant Wizard >
New Zealand
i got a few japanese snes carts the other day, they looked legit on the back, but had american labels on the frond eg USA code rather then saying famicom. have not tried them out, but think they are bootlegs too.

Mar 2, 2010 at 8:11:10 AM
El Macbee (0)
Brazil
Originally posted by: introless

Wow, finally someone who appears to have grown up in a country with pirate games and actually kept the original boxes, and appreciated them! As a pirate collector I just never see that! Do you have access to Megadrive pirates over there still? Happen to own any? My favorite system as far as pirates go.

I don't have Genesis / Mega Drive bootlegs. Back in the day I had a SNES (and this is kind of a regret -today I think Genesis much cooler than Super Nintendo).

Sega pirates were not as common as NES / SNES but I already saw a lot of them in the 90s. Labels and boxes were usually borrowed from japanese versions. Sega was offically represented in Brazil by Tec Toy Company so you could only buy their bootlegs on the underground. I never saw a Sega Master System pirate in my entire life for instance - however I got many of my NES bootlegs on giant Brazilian department stores, malls and supermarkets.

Today those bootlegs are gone - even in Brazil. Pirates were killed by Internet home made piracy (how ironic!).
Sometimes a few carts appears but you can't compare today's market with the 90s'.

=================

About ThePlaque's comment: Feel free to send me pictures of your carts. I guess I'll be able to tell you if they're bootlegs.

Edited: 03/02/2010 at 08:14 AM by El Macbee

Mar 2, 2010 at 10:14:07 AM
Hilmarf (13)
(Tork Anonymous) < El Ripper >
Norway
I had a pirate cart once with four games. When you pressed reset, the cart changed game... boy do I want it back One of the games was Dragon Lair.

Mar 6, 2010 at 6:09:10 PM
El Macbee (0)
Brazil
I put my Pitfall on sale - let's see if there's someone interested on bootleg SNES stuff:

Mar 27, 2013 at 4:16:16 AM
Jonny l3lanka (1)
(Jonathan Beattie) < Little Mac >
Cyprus
I used to have TONS of pirate famicom games (yellow/blue famiclone carts) I also have a parite megadrive/genesis multicart but cant remember off the top of my head.

I actually found a warehouse FULL of brand new pirated games for megadrive.. all in their boxes too. But I didnt get any as I assumed they would be worthless and I don't really collect boots.

Nice stuff btw

Mar 27, 2013 at 4:17:56 AM
Jonny l3lanka (1)
(Jonathan Beattie) < Little Mac >
Cyprus
oh damn.. I just saw the date of the last post.. wow i'm the thread necromancer -_- my bad.. mods remove if necessary, I'm a bit sleep deprived