Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"Hardest NES Games" Lists Which ones actually have some degree of credibility?

Apr 28, 2013 at 1:10:57 PM
Elijah (161)
(John (JD) Heins) < Wiz's Mom >
Iowa
Originally posted by: Elkovsky

Originally posted by: MrClutch

Originally posted by: the_wizard_666

From that we were supposed to get the top 10, but unfortunately for most of us, real life intervened and StanJr was the only one to play all 30 titles to the 5 hour limit we had agreed to before judging the games. 
I finished and submitted my list. StanJr and I were the only ones. That was a ton of work and ultimately a waste of time but it forced me to play a lot of games I would have never touched in my lifetime.
Do you still have that list somewhere, MrClutch?

Regarding the various nominations for Bayou Billy, I don't think I would put it in my top 30... or, at the moment, it would be very low on the list. I'm only 145 games into my journey, with a few that need revisiting. But in any case, Bayou Billy is one of those games that, if given the proper degree of analysis and scrutiny, can be planned out and reliably beaten. There's a boss exploit in level 3 that I stumbled upon that makes that sucker a lot easier to kill; that and the whip (and knowing where to find chicken) were enough to make the game a lot more possible than it could've been. More in the entry from my about-to-be-defunct blog (I'm over on Pixlbit but haven't posted a new review there yet):

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9024504

My own nomination for little-known NES toughie would be After Burner. If the continue code were in the manual, or if the game just gave you a few more lives, it would be fine, but there's a sticking point I hit in the late teens and early 20's where I simply burn away my paltry stock of lives too quickly. Haven't done it yet without the continue code...

I think I asked Tom Votava one time, if there was any NES game that gave him trouble,  I think he said Bayou Billy. 

If you know who Tom is, and how good he is, then, you know that's significant.

Edit...Now that I think more about this, I think it was just an old thread on TG, and not something I asked Tom personally, but I'm sure he mentioned Bayou Billy

Does anyone have a link to where everyone originally voted for the games to be incuded, (before the actual testing)? 

-------------------------
Selling everything.
-------> *Click Here* <--------

God loves everyone

Edited: 04/28/2013 at 02:21 PM by Elijah

Apr 28, 2013 at 1:17:22 PM
DMG (47)
(Dustin G.) < Kraid Killer >
Germany
Whatever happened to the list made back in 2010?

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

We had a real good discussion going on in that thread.

Apr 28, 2013 at 1:48:15 PM
Estil (10)
< King Solomon >
Kentucky
With Ikari Warriors (without the cheat code), you're lucky if you can even get out of the first level!

My best friend Jamiee and my dearly departed Tweetie (2005-2012):
http://s650.photobucket.com/user/...

Collection:
NES (222)   SNES (98)   N64 (
29)   GC (31)   GEN (52)  
PS1 (39)   PS2 (23)   PS3 (8)   WII (11)   WIIU (6)
GBA (44)  GBC (12)   GB (25)   DS (14)   3DS (8)

Apr 28, 2013 at 2:14:57 PM
Enternal (19)
(Edge Geraldine) < El Ripper >
Florida
I brought this up in another list. But Kung Fu Heroes single player (Super Chinese/Famicom) is more difficult than a sizable portion of that top 30 list.

It has what I would say the upper tier of difficult games has. (Random spawns, which can instant death)
It also has
-Limited Lives
-Awkward hit detection
-Items you have to collect to finish the game.
-Awkward controls for certain moves.

It was featured in a Game Center CX video

http://en.channel.pandora.tv/chan...

Edited: 04/28/2013 at 02:19 PM by Enternal

Apr 28, 2013 at 2:20:14 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: gnomesruletheearth

Battletoads is impossible without the game genie infinite lives code.

That was the only way that I managed to beat it and it was still a major pain since when you die, you restart at the last checkpoint instead of in the exact same spot. I've never played Ikari Warriors or Silver Surfer so Battletoads gets my vote.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Apr 28, 2013 at 2:32:34 PM
Elkovsky (0)
(Super Boy Alan) < Eggplant Wizard >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: Estil

With Ikari Warriors (without the cheat code), you're lucky if you can even get out of the first level!
Amen to that! The one thing that saves that game from complete unplayability are the tanks. The levels go by much more smoothly when you get in one, but a single stray explosion is practically enough to kill a run. I say this as an Ikari novice, though, and hopefully I'll be able to knock it out without ABBA some time in the next few months. Hopefully.

I've never seen Kung Fu Heroes nominated for a list like this... now I'm curious. I haven't heard of Tom Votava before, either...

-Elkovsky

New blog at pixlbit.com! Old NES reviews still at the old blog.

Apr 28, 2013 at 4:03:56 PM
Dennis Fleaman (8)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(dev 2) < Meka Chicken >
Netherland Antilles
Originally posted by: kinggrimwood

Battletoads is impossible. I'd pay $50 to whomever could beat it in person in front of me.

Elevator Action is another impossible game, even more so than Battletoads.

I don't think Mario Bros even has an end, does it?

Do you pay for the plane ticket? :-)

WWW.RETROPLAYER.NL...

Apr 28, 2013 at 4:20:37 PM
Mack702 (87)
(Matt D) < Meka Chicken >
California
Ikari Warriors is very hard , the controls kinda suck so that makes the game a bit harder.

Bayou Billy is also one that's one big pain in the ass

My WTB Thread : http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

My FS/FT/FO Thead : http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Apr 28, 2013 at 4:37:32 PM
rcorporon (34)
(Ron Corporon) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario
I think there is a difference between a game being hard because the controls / game mechanics / glitches make it hard (ie: Bayou Billy, Deadly Towers) and a game that has levels that are designed to beat your ass (Ninja Gaiden, Battletoads).

Deadly Towers is just a garbage game with horrid controls and terrible level design that make it hard.

Battletoads is custom designed to destroy you. I've never, ever finished the jet-ski level.

Then there is Ghosts 'n Goblins...

Apr 28, 2013 at 4:37:41 PM
kinggrimwood (44)
(Jeremiah Grimwood) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
Originally posted by: dev(2)

Battletoads is impossible. I'd pay $50 to whomever could beat it in person in front of me.

I stand by what I said, $50 to any person who can beat it in front of me.  Someone posting a video on youtube of them beating the game on an emulator with warps to skip some of the hardest parts doesn't qualify.

I want rare / valuable / prestigous / historically important  games for my collection.  My desire is for either Near Mint, Mint.  May be used CIB or sealed.
Hit me up if you have something for me!

Apr 28, 2013 at 4:41:19 PM
Elijah (161)
Iowa
Originally posted by: rcorporon

I think there is a difference between a game being hard because the controls / game mechanics / glitches make it hard (ie: Bayou Billy, Deadly Towers) and a game that has levels that are designed to beat your ass (Ninja Gaiden, Battletoads).

Deadly Towers is just a garbage game with horrid controls and terrible level design that make it hard.

Battletoads is custom designed to destroy you. I've never, ever finished the jet-ski level.

Then there is Ghosts 'n Goblins...

The controls are pretty staight forward in Deadly Towers, not sure what about that makes it hard.   If there are glitches that make it hard, I would love to hear about them. 

Selling everything.

God loves everyone

Apr 28, 2013 at 4:57:00 PM
Dennis Fleaman (8)
(dev 2) < Meka Chicken >
Netherland Antilles

I stand by what I said, $50 to any person who can beat it in front of me.  Someone posting a video on youtube of them beating the game on an emulator with warps to skip some of the hardest parts doesn't qualify.

I played it on a real nes and skipped a few levels. If i wanted to i could beat those also. (there not hard at all.)
There was a  battletoads contest a few years back on a convention.
If you could beat the game you would win a custom battletoads nes.
Believe me i would walk away with that custom nes.

WWW.RETROPLAYER.NL...

Apr 28, 2013 at 5:07:57 PM
Dennis Fleaman (8)
(dev 2) < Meka Chicken >
Netherland Antilles
Originally posted by: JD

Originally posted by: Elkovsky

From that we were supposed to get the top 10, but unfortunately for most of us, real life intervened and StanJr was the only one to play all 30 titles to the 5 hour limit we had agreed to before judging the games. 
I finished and submitted my list. StanJr and I were the only ones. That was a ton of work and ultimately a waste of time but it forced me to play a lot of games I would have never touched in my lifetime.
Do you still have that list somewhere, MrClutch?

Regarding the various nominations for Bayou Billy, I don't think I would put it in my top 30... or, at the moment, it would be very low on the list. I'm only 145 games into my journey, with a few that need revisiting. But in any case, Bayou Billy is one of those games that, if given the proper degree of analysis and scrutiny, can be planned out and reliably beaten. There's a boss exploit in level 3 that I stumbled upon that makes that sucker a lot easier to kill; that and the whip (and knowing where to find chicken) were enough to make the game a lot more possible than it could've been. More in the entry from my about-to-be-defunct blog (I'm over on Pixlbit but haven't posted a new review there yet):

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9024504

My own nomination for little-known NES toughie would be After Burner. If the continue code were in the manual, or if the game just gave you a few more lives, it would be fine, but there's a sticking point I hit in the late teens and early 20's where I simply burn away my paltry stock of lives too quickly. Haven't done it yet without the continue code...

I think I asked Tom Votava one time, if there was any NES game that gave him trouble,  I think he said Bayou Billy. 

If you know who Tom is, and how good he is, then, you know that's significant.

Edit...Now that I think more about this, I think it was just an old thread on TG, and not something I asked Tom personally, but I'm sure he mentioned Bayou Billy

Does anyone have a link to where everyone originally voted for the games to be incuded, (before the actual testing)? 

Bayou billy is hard and nintendo knew it.

In the nintendo tv show Captain N :The Game Master  Captain N (kevin) has 1 game he can not beat and that's bayou billy.

'' That game is my bayou billy "

WWW.RETROPLAYER.NL...

Apr 28, 2013 at 6:32:29 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington

I can assure you it's beatable, I beat it several times without using any warps or continues about 5 years ago.  I know for a fact if I practiced it again I could sit down and beat it regularly.  Battletoads, if anything is overrated in difficulty.

I find games like Bayou Billy to be much harder, mostly because of shitty game design and implementation.  Battletoads is hard, but it doesn't suffer from ass awful controls and hit detection like some of these other games.

Edited: 04/28/2013 at 06:33 PM by pegboy

Apr 28, 2013 at 6:38:47 PM
kinggrimwood (44)
(Jeremiah Grimwood) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
Ok. There seems to be a few claiming battletoads as beatable. But it is irrefutable that Elevator Action is impossible.

I want rare / valuable / prestigous / historically important  games for my collection.  My desire is for either Near Mint, Mint.  May be used CIB or sealed.
Hit me up if you have something for me!

Apr 28, 2013 at 6:40:20 PM
Elijah (161)
Iowa
^ Elkovsky beat Elevator Action, for the NA thread, so I'd ask him how hard he considers it to be?

At the very least, it's not "Impossible"

Selling everything.

God loves everyone

Edited: 04/28/2013 at 06:44 PM by Elijah

Apr 28, 2013 at 7:21:41 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
Has anyone legitimately beat Ghostbusters without a turbo controller?

Apr 28, 2013 at 10:26:35 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
Originally posted by: pegboy

Has anyone legitimately beat Ghostbusters without a turbo controller?

I beat it without a turbo controller, but I used the door glitch in the stairwell, so I'm not sure if you'd count it.  I will say that after numerous attempts at it, my thumbs were extremely relieved.

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Apr 28, 2013 at 10:40:13 PM
Alder (52)
(Tom B.) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
One game that I'd nominate is Star Force. I've gotten about halfway through the game using a turbo controller and that seriously stretched my gaming abilities to the limit. I'd put it above Silver Surfer any day.

Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of

Apr 28, 2013 at 11:03:58 PM
sunsetflip84 (0)
(Will Cartier) < Meka Chicken >
Ontario
My god Bayou Billy and Ikari Warriors take the cake for me (or is it FROM me, lol). At least you're given a chance in Battletoads and Ninja Gaiden through sheer iron will (and memorization). Billy and the Warriors are just cheap to me. (Trust me I like Bayou on paper, but the implementation is...just, wow).

Hell, I even had fits of rage after (finally) beating Who Framed Roger Rabbit. It took at least 30 tries to put Judge Doom to rest (spraying him with the dip hose was my main gripe). That top 30 list was actually quite a nice list. Surprised by a few entries. Notably Star Voyager and Snake Rattle and Roll. ^>^

"So it is written. So let it be played!"

Check out my youtube gaming channel! Keep up to date on all of my shenanigans! http://www.youtube.com/user/maximpact24?feature=mhee

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:55:36 AM
Elijah (161)
Iowa
Originally posted by: Alder

One game that I'd nominate is Star Force. I've gotten about halfway through the game using a turbo controller and that seriously stretched my gaming abilities to the limit. I'd put it above Silver Surfer any day.

I think I've heard Star Soldier mentioned as pretty tough, of the two which is tougher, Star Soldier, Star Force? 

Neither made the list.

Selling everything.

God loves everyone

Apr 29, 2013 at 1:07:34 AM
the tall guy (130)
(Randy the Astonishing) < Bowser >
Tennessee

I remember doing that, I never submitted my list and have since lost it.    Pretty sure I had Ikari Warriors in the top 3 though.  I remember having to buy Conan just so I could give it a playthrough.

"Meeting internet dudes is what being a dude on the internet is all about!"  ~OSG 

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:37:34 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
Originally posted by: sunsetflip84

Surprised by a few entries. Notably Star Voyager and Snake Rattle and Roll. ^>^

Star Voyager definitely deserves it's spot.  I think I beat one mothership, but that was it.  Definitely deserves to be on the list somewhere.  Snake Rattle 'n Roll though, that had no business being there, but it was nominated and didn't get too many objections, so it was in our play pool.  Figured it wouldn't make the cut in the end though.

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:24:48 PM
Stan (81)
(Demonologist and Linguist Supreme) < Ridley Wrangler >
Virginia

You got the cash to back that up?  I'll do it no continues even.

Apr 29, 2013 at 2:09:41 PM
Elkovsky (0)
(Super Boy Alan) < Eggplant Wizard >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: JD

^ Elkovsky beat Elevator Action, for the NA thread, so I'd ask him how hard he considers it to be?

At the very least, it's not "Impossible"

In terms of difficulty, Elevator Action is #1 on my personal list, limiting it to games I've beaten (146 "officially," with seven of those "provisionally beaten" and requiring a revisit). The insane lengths of planning I had to take to beat a ten-minute game is ludicrous, and level 5 - the first level after the "loop point" - might as well be a killscreen. There are some arcane details that, when learned, make the game more manageable, and I've got a mostly-finished guide on my computer that I'll get around to submitting to GameFAQs some day, which details a lot of these.

Keep in mind, by the way, that other games on my "beaten" list include Ghosts 'n' Goblins, Battletoads, and the oft-overlooked Q*Bert; for Q*Bert, I had to transcribe the enemy spawn patterns, which are fixed for each level, in order to reliably take out Sam in the later stages. My guide for that game is up on GameFAQs, complete with spawn patterns, for anyone who wishes to have a fighting chance of finishing world 9-4.

It's probably fair to say that the factors that make a game difficult could have a significant effect on how that game's difficulty is perceived. Battletoads requires a lot of precise timing but doesn't have a lot of heavily "random" elements, and is relatively generous on lives compared to, say, Elevator Action. In games like Gradius and Bayou Billy, possession of a certain item/ability/power makes the game go down much smoothly, but losing it is almost as bad as getting a game over. In Bayou Billy, the last three beat-em-up segments are made much easier by obtaining and keeping the whip and the bullet-proof vest, which is why I don't find the game to be quite as rough as some of the other titles mentioned. And, of course, control issues can ratchet up a game's difficulty in a heartbeat, as is *definitely* the case in Ikari Warriors.

There are also those games that are manageable enough except for one freaking level - the last level of 1942, the final level of Back to the Future, the final level of Bad Street Brawler. Those white butt-spinning guys from Bad Street Brawler can go jump off a cliff.

Also, I'm curious as to thoughts on the list linked to below. I love where they place Ikari Warriors.

-Elkovsky

New blog at pixlbit.com! Old NES reviews still at the old blog.

Edited: 04/29/2013 at 02:25 PM by Elkovsky